Patrick Melbler

Patrick, our Malta and Austria correspondent, lives on the small island of Malta where he moved all alone by the age of 17. He’s been a Eurovision fanatic since he first watched the contest in 2006. A seasoned orator, he placed second in a nationwide speech contest 2 years ago and won the top trophy last year back in Austria. His favourite national selection is Melodifestivalen and his biggest wish is to watch Eurovision live again. Follow him on Twitter: @eurovisionboy77. You can also keep up with the latest Eurovision news and gossip by following wiwibloggs.com on Twitter and Facebook.

Start the buzz

To create audio, video and animated text comments, you'll need to download the wiwibloggs app, available in the Apple Store and Google Play. Comments you make on the app will appear on the web site. You can, of course, make traditional text comments on the web site by scrolling down. Press the box below to watch the comments in action. And don't forget: You can win a trip for two to Eurovision 2017 in Ukraine by entering our app competition.

1. VICTORIA BC MARATHON 2015 News
    March 11, 2015 @ 3:12 am

[…] USFÖ: Ann Sophie will represent Germany with Black Smoke […]

2. 2015 EUGENE MARATHON
    March 10, 2015 @ 5:11 am

[…] USFÖ: Ann Sophie will symbolize Germany with Black Smoke […]

3. Euroviper7
    March 8, 2015 @ 12:55 pm

Love this but with it being second choice it may well slip under the radar

4. ESC 4ever
    March 6, 2015 @ 5:28 pm

My top 23 change a lot so here is my new:
    1-Malta (-)
    2-Iceland (-)
    3-The Netherlands (-)
    4-Ireland (+7) (it really growing on me <3)
    5-France (+2)
    6-Slovenia (-2)
    7-Lithuania (-2)
    8-Switzerland (-)
    9-Estonia (+1)
    10-Italy (-4)
    11-Germany (new) (i love songs like this! Good choice!)
    12-Spain (-)
    13-Hungary (-3)
    14-Denmark (-1)
    15-Georgia (-)
    16-FYR Macedonia (-2)
    17-Latvia (-)
    18-Belarus (-2)
    19-Greece (new)
    20-Cyprus (-2)
    21-Serbia (-2)
    22-Moldova (-2)
    23-Finland (-2)

5. Frank21
    March 6, 2015 @ 4:43 pm

Sorry for Germany , i dont think deserve top 10 , ok maybe top 15 , the song is not very good and the voice from her i dont like much either , i wish her good luck

6. smok
    March 6, 2015 @ 2:18 pm

The best singer and song won. Great!

7. fikri
    March 6, 2015 @ 1:37 pm

i dig the song and she seems to really enjoy herself so that’s good!

8. bavarson
    March 6, 2015 @ 1:11 pm

Generally everyone was bad yesterday. Germany have no chance for top 10.

9. Merseymike
    March 6, 2015 @ 12:38 pm

Bottom 5 for Germany again – weak song and her voice is painful to the ears
    Perhaps that will teach them to have such a daft system of choosing. Why not just have each act do two songs and a simple vote with televote AND JURY – because that is part of the reckoning now. This song is going to flop with the juries

10. Kuula
    March 6, 2015 @ 8:16 am

People are you stupid?Fahreneidt was the worst act…she couldn’t sing at all.even I could sing better than her.and Frozen silence was shit comparing to black smoke…Ann Sophie sings like a superstar. I’m really loving her and her song…

11. Kuula
    March 6, 2015 @ 8:09 am

Ann Sophie and her song are incridble .I liked both of her songs… But black smoke can win Eurovision…black smoke jumps to #1 in my top…I wish we go back to Germany in 2016

12. Dan Marino
    March 6, 2015 @ 7:50 am

In my opinion. I would’ve love to have seen jump the gun to Vienna rather than black smoke. But this is just as good!

13. Otna
    March 6, 2015 @ 7:22 am

Ann Sophie <3 Such a GLAM song!

14. Bronson
    March 6, 2015 @ 4:32 am

So if the purpose of the show was to choose the ESC participant for Germany, why did he decline it when he won? If he never wanted to represent the country in the first place, why did he even sign up?

15. Charles
    March 6, 2015 @ 1:32 am

Whatever scheiss egal … today is a fuzz, today is the classic Eurovision-everybody-loves-controversy-thing then tomorrow and by the time the Eurovision 2 week extravaganza starts nobody will even care … Andreas will disappear into oblivion and this poor girl will also soon be forgotten. Germany has lost their own steam after Lena … hardly will they ever focus again to regain it back again.

16. CookyMonzta
    March 6, 2015 @ 1:21 am

@D: Andreas must have seen polls like the Wiwi poll (his songs near the bottom), and felt that he had to step aside for a stronger contender.

17. CookyMonzta
    March 6, 2015 @ 1:17 am

HEY!! What did I miss? Andreas turned down the invitation?! That was a good song as well; but I suppose he didn’t think it would be strong enough to finish in the top-half of the final standings, given what has already qualified.

18. CookyMonzta
    March 6, 2015 @ 1:11 am

My fallback choice, in case Faun and Fahrenhaidt failed. I have no complaints about “Black Smoke”. Good song. Could finish top-15 if the stage setting is right.

19. Brunowskii
    March 6, 2015 @ 12:57 am

It’s something like a finnish fever… It’s spreading over the Baltic….

20. Faye
    March 6, 2015 @ 12:44 am

I mean she wasn’t my pick + even then i prefer her other song. having said that i feel sorry for her winning like this + i hope the German public + broadcaster get fully behind her.

My only worry for her + this song in particular is how it translates to an arena, some parts sound like they could get a bit shouty! I don’t think she will win but i do like her song + at least it has a beat to it!

21. Lin
    March 6, 2015 @ 12:35 am

tbh, I believe NDR told Andreas to refuse the victory in order to send the wildcard winner. The current concept has been criticised a lot because of the lack of variety at the club concert, so I guess NDR just wanted to defend its concept.

I still hope there will be a new NF.

22. Xepher
    March 6, 2015 @ 12:00 am

@Titaniumsparrow I think he said it was health reasons & he wasn’t comfortable of winning..and yet he seemed fine winning The Voice lol

23. ify_
    March 5, 2015 @ 11:51 pm

WOw I mean.. every single person can hear that fahrenhaidt would’ve been the best choice Germany could send since Lena.. WTH is wrong with these people… so furious that the jerk in question also took someone other’s spot in the superfinal.. just FML. eurovision disaster …. poor 60th anniversary

24. Mar
    March 5, 2015 @ 11:50 pm

I think Ann will do really well in Vienna, the song is stuck in my head already. Be happy guys! It’s not a ballad! We were bitching so much about it just yesterday, we should be more grateful.

25. Xepher
    March 5, 2015 @ 11:43 pm

I think Germany may need to do some thinking about what they want to do for next year Eurovision wise. Also why compete, and give up your title if you didn’t want to represent?

Also Frozen Silence was the best of the night. This year song wise has been so bad lately…really hoping for the other countries (like San Marino, Czech Rep, Belgium, etc) to surprise us with a great song

26. Franco
    March 5, 2015 @ 11:40 pm

It’s been a bumpy ride but, in the end, the right one got the ticket to Vienna.
    Ann Sophie has been my favourite since the beginning. She is classy and charismatic, with a great voice and matching song.
    I’m eager to vote for her in May, for her to win the whole ESC.

27. Titaniumsparrow
    March 5, 2015 @ 11:40 pm

Can someone translate what he said? I’d like to know what his reason was.

28. Alex
    March 5, 2015 @ 11:39 pm

I’ll agree that the song is average. I mean, it’s not bad, but it’s more of an album track than a single. Depending on what the UK picks, it may be the least interesting of the Big 5 for me.

29. beccaboo1212
    March 5, 2015 @ 11:34 pm

Yippee! Good luck, Ann Sophie! 😀

30. Alex
    March 5, 2015 @ 11:33 pm

Did Andreas’s record label force him to do the show or something?

31. ryanireland
    March 5, 2015 @ 11:26 pm

Average, Germany hasn’t been trying too hard in the last two years, pity.

32. Mark
    March 5, 2015 @ 11:19 pm

Germany is this years Eurovision TROLL.
    Why do you take part in something you don’t want?! This Andreas guy got the place Fahrenhaidt or other act deserved!!!

Eurofan Mexico, gano un acto conocido, Andreas, pero él cedió su victoria a Ann.

33. Tom
    March 5, 2015 @ 11:18 pm

What on earth did I just watch? This was a wreck. First of all Fahrenhaidt bombed out with a distracted performance that stripped away the beautiful purity of the song, then the next best option decides he doesn’t want it AFTER he’s already won. He should’ve stayed at home and not wasted all of our time.

I feel sorry for Ann Sophie. Her song won’t possibly make any impact in Vienna. She’s very well suited for an intimate performance like a club, but I fear a grander stage will swamp her.

34. AndyUK
    March 5, 2015 @ 11:15 pm

I am happy for Anne-Sophie, and Germany are now my 5th. Of course, what Kümmert has done is not the best and what should have been a great night has turned into a horrible morass.

35. Hmmm
    March 5, 2015 @ 11:12 pm

Let’s just say I would have been very happy IF WE HAD EXACTLY THE OPPOSITE RESULT. Should have been Fahrenhaidt, Mrs. Greenbird, Noize Generation and Faun in the top 4. However, when the opposite artists went through I thought, ok, carry on – Alexa Feser’s 2nd song is pretty good and Laing’s 1st one would Spice up the balladous Eurovision final. AND THEN the other two artists went through… both with the worse of their two songs!!

I feel so sorry for Ann Sophie – what should have been a glorious moment for her was made an awkward, sad finale. As for Andreas, I think that’s really cruel – to Ann Sophie, NDR and the German public. The potential in tonight’s show was there, and “Frozen Silence” I am sure would’ve given Germany a top-5 result. Sadly, it ended in the worst song of the night winning, and an entry that will struggle to place any higher than 27th 🙁 Can we just send Lena again?

36. PP

20.F.Y.R Macedonia
    21.Ireland
    22.Latvia
    23.Finland

37. bavarson
    March 5, 2015 @ 11:04 pm

Eurovision needs to be controversial.

38. Eugene ESC UK
    March 5, 2015 @ 11:04 pm

Andreas Kümmert won the vote of the public but declined to represent Germany. Andreas decided he was not ready to face an international audience in the Eurovision Song Contest, Ann Sophie has been declared the winner.

39. allo
    March 5, 2015 @ 11:02 pm

Eugene, the German broadcaster won’t need to make refunds, are you totally crazy? By voting, the people have accepted the regulations, which state that NDR isn’t responsible for the winner resigning, not being able to compete etc etc., so if anyone would pay it would be Andreas, but it’s not gonna happen, this isn’t the first drama like that to happen!!!

40. Robyn Gallagher
    March 5, 2015 @ 11:01 pm

I wonder if Andreas did the show thinking it would be good promo for his music career, but not seriously expecting to win. The fact that he performed in a sloppy hoodie (and for both songs) shows that he wasn’t quite getting into the spirit of the event.

I was hoping that Ann Sophie would do well, but she really lifted her game at the final. She is a confident performer and “Black Smoke” is a super catchy song. I suspect it did well because it was the most upbeat, straight-up pop song in the competition. Everything else was more genre-based and would have had more niche appeal. Well, everything expect for Andreas’ great soul pop…

41. bastian
    March 5, 2015 @ 10:58 pm

Andreas what hav you done, really. His voice and both his song were absolutely fantastic. He would have done really well i believe. Too bad, this will be another disaster for our nachbarn….

42. ct
    March 5, 2015 @ 10:56 pm

* but I don’t think “Black smoke” will have much impact in Vienna

43. Eugene ESC UK
    March 5, 2015 @ 10:56 pm

Perhaps the actual result will stand, otherwise they will have to refund all the money spent on Andreas. Andreas’s management company won’t be very pleased with this. NDR might have to reverse the reverse or do a refund. But you can’t make someone go to Vienna if they don’t want to go!! Difficult position for NDR and Ann Sophie.

44. ct
    March 5, 2015 @ 10:55 pm

Ann Sophie could have done great with “Jump the gun” but I don’t think “Black smoke” will not have much impact in Vienna methinks.

For a greek person like me it is especially sweet to be able to say this: Germany you’re a mess 🙂

45. lollalol
    March 5, 2015 @ 10:54 pm

New voting for Ann Sophie and Laing please. We must respect rules.

46. WTF
    March 5, 2015 @ 10:53 pm

YES! This was my favorite after Fahrenhaidt so I’m glad it is going to Vienna, regardless of the circumstances. Andreas only did the sensible thing and bowed out of the competition in favor of the superior song.

47. Easpag
    March 5, 2015 @ 10:52 pm

I like Ann-Sophie better, so I’m happy with the result

Also, Laing’s second performance was fantastic. They should’ve made the Superfinal, in my opinion.

48. mocosuburbian
    March 5, 2015 @ 10:50 pm

everyone’s going to blame Ann Sophie for something that’s not her fault
    twitter raises a good point in that laing would have taken the spot left by Kummert and likely won if he hadn’t participated…

49. JESCGermany15
    March 5, 2015 @ 10:50 pm

Ok, I wish my country the 27th place in the final! PLEASE TO ALL PEOPLE: DON’T VOTE FOR GERMANY!
    My country is the stupiedest so far and the selection was so much trash! I’m so angry, disappointed…*facepalm*
    My top 23 now:
    20.Hungary
    21.Germany
    22.Moldova
    23.Finland

50. Mar
    March 5, 2015 @ 10:49 pm

I’ve no idea what reasons he may have had to do what he did, but I suspect Andreas really damaged his carreer tonight.

51. Deniz
    March 5, 2015 @ 10:48 pm

Holy crap, it just came on the Dutch news. PKN was on the news last week, and now this. Eurovision spirit in The Netherlands I guess.

52. bavarson
    March 5, 2015 @ 10:46 pm

A similar ploy to that carried out by Albania with song changing. Andreas Kummert was outsider in odds, Ann Sophie was one of the favorites. For this reason, the Germans could tell him, to give up, if he will win national final.

53. Aleksi
    March 5, 2015 @ 10:46 pm

Germany how about you send both of them and make another duet? 😀

54. EUROFAN MEXICO
    March 5, 2015 @ 10:46 pm

i believe that germany is only playing with the profesional artist, because alway win the concert new artist, lokingfor the new funny lena, ja ja LE HABEIS HECHO MUCHO DAÑO A EUROVISION DEJANDO GANAR A LENA VEAN COMO CAEN LAS CABEZAS DE LOS GRANDES FACILMENTE ANTE UNA CANCION TONTA Y PEGADIZA, eurovision must be full of the best of europe, big names and songs not only populariti shorth stars. without a carrer.

55. davved
    March 5, 2015 @ 10:45 pm

is andreas mentally ill?.. or what else is the reason behind this major change of heart…. it isnt a nice gesture it is just disrespectful.

56. Tom
    March 5, 2015 @ 10:43 pm

That was a bit of a mess, wasn’t it? Fahrenhaidt not qualifying to the second round and Andreas refusing to claim his victory. But most importantly, Fahrenhaidt not winning. I’m even more disappointed than last year with Madeline Juno. Anyway, Andreas should’ve settled things down earlier. Now it looks like he was just a meddler. Well, Eurovision season always has to be a bumpy ride, right?

57. allo
    March 5, 2015 @ 10:43 pm

Fahrenhaidt is the new Madeline Juno.

58. Mario ~ The Diamond Vision Of Gay Love
    March 5, 2015 @ 10:42 pm

WOW….That was a shocking indeed…
    Im very surprised about the results..

59. Leila
    March 5, 2015 @ 10:41 pm

CAN SOMEONE TELL ME WHAT HAPPENED??! I’m so confused agh what happened on the show ?!

60. Mar
    March 5, 2015 @ 10:40 pm

Whoa. Greece dissapointed me yesterday, and now Germany breaks my heart by not letting Fahrenhaidt into the top 4. Instead they chose two good singers with average songs, a girl group relying on a gimmick and one deserving act (Ann). I think it’s a sign from the Universe that I should not be cheering for a country that’s not Italy or Spain
    But, most importantly, the hell is up with that Andreas guy?? Did he give some sort of explanation or does he think he’s just too good for Eurovision? He is aware that the whole point of the show was to go to Vienna, RIGH?
    Anyway, good for Ann, she’s great.

61. Deniz
    March 5, 2015 @ 10:40 pm

Jr esc nl
    hahaha exactly 😉

62. D
    March 5, 2015 @ 10:39 pm

That was really unappreciative of Andreas to do that. I’m glad he isn’t representing Germany (his songs occupied my two last places in USFO) but think about all those people who voted for you. Wow, and I knew he looked completely pissed off throughout the whole show. “Black Smoke” is a good song but both of Laing’s songs deserved to win. Can’t believe they didn’t AT LEAST make the top two. Fahrenhaidt joins Madeline Juno in the land of great German acts ruined by weird/weak live performances.

63. jr esc nl
    March 5, 2015 @ 10:38 pm

Deniz lol wie is de mol i did the same:-)

64. Eugene ESC UK
    March 5, 2015 @ 10:38 pm

The public paid for vote for Andreas to win…………………how can he do that?? How can NDR allow that to happen? What a shambles.

65. Iberian
    March 5, 2015 @ 10:37 pm

If I had spent money on televoting for Andreas I’d be quite angry. Germany straight to the bottom, what an awful boring song is going to represent them now. They should’ve chosen Laing, they were fabulous and special.

66. ct
    March 5, 2015 @ 10:36 pm

I am really, really, really glad he doesn’t want to go. He was really goddamn awful. Good for him!

I would have preffered Fahreneidt but Ann Sophie was my second favourite so I am glad she gets to go. Do Fahreneidt have the right to submit their song for another country. Plenty haven’t chosen yet!

I mean seriously Germans what is the matter with you? Every year you have perfect songs to choose from and every year you vote for the crappiest crap!

67. Deniz
    March 5, 2015 @ 10:36 pm

Because of a programme in The Netherlands that was really important to me, I only managed to see the results. And because I speak German it was really entertaining to see what all the drama was about.

About the song, it is not a slow song, yay!!

68. jr esc nl
    March 5, 2015 @ 10:36 pm

Yeah i agree with angus it will bring her in a very awkward position if she gets a bad placing it will be even worse

69. Eugene ESC UK
    March 5, 2015 @ 10:35 pm

The shocks and surprises continue, but I am not surprised with “Frozen Silence” going out at all, I just could not see what all the fuss was about. I gave “Heart of Stone” an 8/10 when the Wiwi jury gave their scores. HE had the better song……………….Germany won’t do well with this song……………..OH DEAR!!! After a really professional show, showing Europe hoe to do it, what SHAMBLES at the end. How could they allow that to happen? A real Farce.

So another Wiwi poll and jury winner goes down………………”Kiss of Death” strikes again.

70. JonathanUK
    March 5, 2015 @ 10:35 pm

It was a complete bombshell that he dropped! Both songs are something different and stand up as so against what we have already at Vienna but in the end Andreas did win the German people’s vote and so he should have went but it took guts to do what he did and I really respect him for it.
    On a more personal level, I loved Ann Sophie’s song and preferred it to Andreas’ song so I’m happy she is going to Vienna! Wise move Andreas!

71. Dar
    March 5, 2015 @ 10:35 pm

i understand limited german so was confused as to what was going on .. DRAMA

72. Edward Nygma
    March 5, 2015 @ 10:35 pm

While his decision is a gentlemen’s one, couldn’t he announced it earlier and not waste people’s money on calls? Honestly, I’m glad Black Smoke is going to Vienna, cause we need more upbeat songs and this one kinda is (more than Heart of Stone at least).

73. Liam
    March 5, 2015 @ 10:34 pm

Somebody definitely made him disqualify like in whatever reason would you want to give up on a such a huge opportunity !?

74. jr esc nl
    March 5, 2015 @ 10:34 pm

Omg i’m stunned! That was weird but i LOVE ann sophies song ( my new number 1 y’all) so i’m pleased with it but she must have felt so weird when that happened

75. EUROFAN MEXICO
    March 5, 2015 @ 10:33 pm

JA JA GERMANY DOWN AGAIN

76. Angus Quinn
    March 5, 2015 @ 10:33 pm

I feel so sorry for Ann Sophie. People are just going to criticise her for not being the real winner the whole time and it also means her victory here is hollow which is fairly awful.

In all respects it is a pretty terrible thing for Andreas to have done and puts her in a terribly awkward position. Fine enough to have made the decision but dumping it on her shoulders, even with the benefits to reap, seems very cruel. It doesn’t sit well at all.

77. Daniel
    March 5, 2015 @ 10:31 pm

Sorry, I meant Andreas.

78. Daniel
    March 5, 2015 @ 10:30 pm

Awww. And read is a great person. I loved both songs but I kind of wanted Ann Sophie. Soooo….yay?

79. Duff
    March 5, 2015 @ 10:30 pm

All of the confusion reminds me of Spain’s tie last year and the UK’s announcement in 2007.

80. meme
    March 5, 2015 @ 10:28 pm

IT WAS WEIRD…. but I’m glad for her, and I respect Andreas’ decision!!!

Google+