Salvador Sobral announces farewell concert as he goes on hiatus to focus on his health

43

On August 29 he announced that he would cancel three concerts following advice from his doctors.

And on Tuesday Salvador Sobral announced that he will extend the break by going on professional hiatus and cancelling all performances so that he can focus fully on his recovery.

His announcement came in a YouTube video entitled “Hello, Até já” (Hello, See you soon).

“It is no longer a secret to anyone that my health is fragile,” he says, seated at a piano. “I have a problem. Unfortunately, the time has come to give my body to science and consequently to remove myself from the life of concerts and music in general. Get out a bit of this world of civilians and go to another, where surely this problem will be solved. Unfortunately, I do not know how long it will take.”

“I’ll be back soon — how soon I do not not know.”

Prior to departing, he will gift his fans a farewell concert with free admission. It will take place this Friday — September 8 — at the Cascais International Fair in the gardens of the Estoril Casino.

“It will be beautiful and special. A temporary farewell, shall we say.”

Salvador responds to tabloid press

The Eurovision 2017 winner also asked that the press give him room to breathe and took a dig at them for fuelling wild rumours about his medical condition.

“This request, let’s face it, goes more to those so-called junk media, which says I have three months to live. It seems like I’ve read it for over three months.”

“I hope to see you soon and everything will go well,” he said before closing the video with a portion of The Beatles hit “Hello, Goodbye”.

Salvador’s decision to go on hiatus follows the life-changing events of May 2017, when the jazz singer was thrust into the international spotlight after winning the Eurovision Song Contest — and by one of the biggest margins in history.

Since then the “Amar pelos dois” singer has been busy touring Portugal, releasing new music and raising funds for disaster relief efforts.

In June he donated the proceeds of his CD sales to the municipality of Pedrógão Grande, which recently endured tragic wildfires that killed more than 60 people and plunged Portugal into a state of national mourning.

And he followed that up by serving as the headline act at the “Juntos Por Todos” (Together for Everyone) relief concert inside Lisbon’s MEO Arena.

Salvador had the honour of closing the show, which featured 25 artists and raised more than 1.15 million euros for the people of Pedrógão Grande.

He’s also selected one composer who will compete in Festival da Canção 2018 — Portugal’s national selection for Eurovision early next year.

We wish Salvador all the best as he turns his attention fully to his medical treatment. We look forward to seeing him healthier and better than ever in the months ahead. 

Read more Portugal Eurovision news