The Malta Eurovision Song Contest kicks off with the semi-finals on Friday, February 7. While the 20 contestants have been busy perfecting their numbers, our readers have been busy voting for their favourites. After counting 2,066 votes, we can now reveal the singers who you want to hear singing for Malta in Copenhagen.
Four acts have emerged as potential winners, at lease according to our readers. They are Pamela, Daniel Testa, Davina and Jessika.
Leading the way is Pamela with her song “Take Me”. Pamela won the poll in a landslide, earning 667 votes, or 32% of all votes cast. Her ballad is a bittersweet tale of love and reminiscence. We quite like the la-la-ey-la-la-ey in the bridge.
Daniel Testa came second with our readers. He earned 318 votes, or 15%, with his song “One Last Ride”. Daniel has experience on the international stage: he placed fourth for Malta a the Junior Eurovision Song Contest in 2008. His song sounds very current. You could hear it competing in Sweden’s Melodifestivalen.
Our readers put Davina in third place with her song “Brand New Day”. She earned 216 votes, or around 10%. She may be wearing black in her video, but Davina is pure optimism. This song is all about happiness and making the most of life. She sings with 100% conviction and you can’t help but smile.
Jessika tied for third place. Her song “Hypnotica” is perhaps the best dance entry this year, and will no doubt be remixed and played at every bar and club in Valletta!
You can see the complete results below. Only the Top 14 contestants will advance to the final on Saturday. The contestants in italics below are predicted to be eliminated (by our readers, anyway).
1. Pamela – Take Me 667 votes, 32.28%
2. Daniel Testa – One Last Ride 318 votes, 15.39%
3. Davinia – Brand New Day 216 votes, 10.45%
3. Jessika – Hypnotica 216 votes, 10.45%
5. Fabrizio Faniello – Just no Place Like Home 93 votes, 4.5%
6. Firelight – Coming Home 60 votes, 2.9%
7. Romina Mamo – Addictive 57 votes, 2.76%
8. Amber – Because I Have You 56 votes, 2.71%
9. Christabelle – Lovetricity 44 votes, 2.13%
9. De Bee – Pin the Middle 44 votes, 2.13%
11. Deborah C – Until We Meet Again 42 votes, 2.03%
12. Raquel – Invisible 41 votes, 1.98%
13. Franklin – Love will take me home 40 votes, 1.94%
14. Miriam Christine – Safe 38 votes, 1.84%
15. Chris Grech – Oblivion 35 votes, 1.69%
16. Ryan Paul Abela – City Lady 33 votes, 1.6%
17. Sophie Debattista – Let the Sunshine In 24 votes, 1.16%
18. Wayne William – Some Kind of Wonderful 19 votes, 0.92%
19. Andreana Debattista – Now and forever 12 votes, 0.58%
20. Corazon – Ten 11 votes, 0.53%
For more coverage of the Maltese national selection, stay tuned to wiwibloggs.com. You should also visit ESCFlashMalta—the best Eurovision blog on the sunny island—and the official Malta Eurovision Song Contest Facebook page.
Willy Lee Adams contributed this report from London. Follow him on Twitter @willyleeadams. You can also keep up with the latest Eurovision news and gossip by following wiwibloggs.com on Twitter and Facebook.
Photo: Screengrab from Pamela’s video / PBS