Suzy’s victory in Portugal’s Festival Da Canção 2014 has been riddled with controversy. So much controversy that Suzy and writer-composer Emanuel will convene a press conference on Thursday to address what they call a “smear campaign that has gone beyond imagination and common sense.”
Whether you call it an organised campaign or a series of distinct allegations, there’s a lot to talk about. Immediately after the final, disgruntled Eurovision fans took to social media and insinuated that the votes for Suzy were rigged and that Catarina Pereira was the real winner. A petition to declare Catarian Pereira the winner of Festival Da Cancao followed.
Suzy on show:
Broadcaster RTP released the official results of the televoting, but that hasn’t calmed the braying mobs.
Fans remain suspicious about the following:
- First, during the talkshow ‘Praça da Alegria’, Suzy was allowed to perform last, right before the daily news when viewership surges
- Second, rumours suggest that the call center responsible for the votes was disclosing information about voting in advance, which allowed Suzy’s people to figure out how many more votes they needed to win
- Third, Sony Music released a statement early in the contest regarding negotiations with Suzy
- Fourth, RTP has not responded directly to the accusations
- Fifth, some fans have claimed that online polls were rigged in favour of Suzy
Accusations hurt. But so do all the bad reviews. If you read the comments on our news item about Suzy’s victory, you’ll find gems like this:
TERRIBLE! Portugal is a joke…they must withdraw, no one cares about those portuguese trash they send year after year. This LAMBADA is ridiculous.
Ouch. Given such negative responses, Suzy will be joined at the press conference by writer and composer Emanuel. Joaquim Oorlog, an attorney, and Vasco da Camera Pereira, a communications guru, will also be by her side. The press conference will take place Thursday March 27 at 20:00 CET.
What do you think? Is there anything to hide? Can the press conference calm angry fans?
Daphne Dee contributed this report from Belgium. Follow her on Twitter @JacinthaD1. You can also keep up-to-date with the latest Eurovision news and gossip by following the team on Twitter @wiwibloggs and by liking our Facebook page