Anthony: Ukraine have done it again when it comes to Eurovision props. Last year, they got Igor Vovkovinskiy, the tallest living person in the US, as their fairy-tale giant. This year, they have a giant hamster wheel. The idea might have triggered flashbacks of their 2009 entry featuring Svetlana Loboda, but it actually works quite well. Especially as there’ll be a dancer spinning that wheel and performing somersaults. At one point, Mariya herself even climbs on top. While it might get Eurovision viewers talking about the stage performance, just as they did last year, my concern is whether the prop has any relevance to the song itself…

Zach: Oh how I love Ukraine! No matter what they do (minus a cheesy debut and bad rapper) it always seems to somehow work, no matter how random or odd it may be. Mariya is no exception. A running wheel is probably the last thing anyone thought of for a prop (I really thought there would be a clock of some kind). But it somehow integrates into the performance really well with some smart and effective choreography. Vocals are polished as well, and LED effects are brilliant. I did think she’d utilize more dancers though…

Wiwi: Members of the press let out an audible gasp when they saw Mariya’s dancer. He’s fit enough to run in that wheel for three minutes and not break a sweat. As for Mariya, she wore a simple red-and-black number which surely isn’t her full stage costume. Today she smacked of blood and darkness—perhaps a political statement? In any event, another strong entry from Kyiv!

Photo: Thomas Hanses (EBU)

You can read our reviews of all of the rehearsals by clicking here.You can also keep up-to-date on the latest Eurovision news and gossip by following the team on Twitter @wiwibloggs and by liking our Facebook page.

Robert Germone
7 years ago

Its seems to me, that no one expected a giant wheel on stage) Its was like a little surprise) Mariya’s chances rising after 1st rehearsal, so I think Mariya will be in final.

Nelia Makariv
7 years ago

I think its great and creative to bring a giant wheel. Its a part of the show and dancer have more space for his work and ideas. Mariya’s perfomance is one of those that I want to see more than other

stello4ka
stello4ka
7 years ago

haters gonna hate it! Maria, just do what you do and you’ll get your victory!

Neriah Motillo (@neri_motillo)
Neriah Motillo (@neri_motillo)
7 years ago

this is gonna be killer show!

Dmitriy
Dmitriy
7 years ago

This is a very unusual and fascinating. with this performance she will win.

Savel
Savel
7 years ago

Do not understand who may not like it. Here everything is great!

Anna
Anna
7 years ago

Guys, it looks cool and do not say nothing more. Cool idea and we see that Maria is trying very hard. Good luck to you, Mary!

Jean Ralphio
Jean Ralphio
7 years ago

love Mariya, can’t wait to see her final perfomance!

Anna
Anna
7 years ago

I like Mariya and Unkraine this year the most! I think, this girl is perfect as her show and song! Hope she will win! And Ukraine shows great result on the stage each year!

Tiggeh
Tiggeh

Ahh I preferred Svetlana’s hell wheel personally

Dilara
7 years ago

good luck from Azerbaijan i love it

Thiefo
7 years ago

I love her, can’t wait to see the full performance in all it’s glory (:

Charles
Charles
7 years ago

Again and again … they insist on bringing toys to the stage all the time … can’t they just rely on the song, or do they think that with all these props the songs can actually be better? My ears still say no … and my eyes just say “enough” … every year the same desperation. And I can only wonder what the hell Azerbaijan is gonna do with a stunning song that SPEAKS for itself … So disappointing! No matter how relevant the visuals may be for everybody, if your lost your listening skill to critically judge a piece… Read more »

Srebrenko
Srebrenko

Circus. Nothing more.

Gavin
Gavin
7 years ago

Maybe… just maybe its that hamster wheel that is generating the electricity for the lighting this year? Don’t mock its purpose!

Ryanireland
Ryanireland
7 years ago

Lol oh my good god, this country is nuts, a hamster wheel are they for real, Please Europe Don’t Be Fooled

Gavin
Gavin
7 years ago

just brilliant. hilarious. love it! Seeing Maryia pulled up cracked my first smile of a rather depressing day reminding why exactly I love Eurovision.

I want a man sized hamster wheel for my bedroom… complete with muscular man…

SteliosN
SteliosN

A hamster wheel? Really? Bravo Ukraine… for ruining your chances on your own

tick tock

eurovision song contest 2014 winner ukraine 260 points

This is my opinion (TIMO)
This is my opinion (TIMO)
7 years ago

is this person inside clock, idea, this choreography better than the one they performed at eurovision in concert in amsterdam? Where two guys danced with Mariya which I though more suited the song, this one in rehearsal is rather like working on a clock making love with clock, promoting clock which make people forget the song and see the clock main thing, maybe they don’t want to go with male dancers around lady which people have seen with carola, helena, Sibel etc. that the audience are tired of the similar thing, still I think this clock is getting in front… Read more »

Wergie
Wergie
7 years ago

Her voice is weak 🙁 and that wheel thing is just ridiculous.

Frank Les Pays Bas
Frank Les Pays Bas
7 years ago

the wheel is very relevant as it portrays that they are running out of time for a solution to avoid war.