Over the last few weeks we’ve been asking y’all to vote for your least favourite Eurovision winner since the turn of the millennium. This is the award no artist wants to win. But that hasn’t stopped you from voting in your droves. And so with a total of 3,107 votes counted we can now reveal that y’all have chosen…

Ell & Nikki

The Azerbaijani Duo from 2011, who won the contest with the ballad “Running Scared”. It seems their love song wasn’t so endearing after all. They received 755 votes, and so with some regret (because they’re both rul rul nice) we award them the title of “Least Deserving Eurovision Winners”. We’ll hold back on the champagne and flowers, the pair would probably rather a box of tissues.

The big question is, why did Ell & Nikki win this unenviable honour? The main contributor was probably the fact that in a year with no clear winner, there were several other songs worthy of victory. Many of you felt that Germany, Slovenia, Sweden, Bosnia & Herzegovina and Italy would all have been fitting victors.

Dima Bilan

In second place, with 485 votes, is Dima Bilan and “Believe”. The 2008 winner was responsible for the first ever Russian victory in the contest, but y’all were clearly unimpressed. You considered a whole load of songs to be better, including Portugal, Ukraine, Greece, Armenia and Serbia.

Full Results

1. 2011 – Ell/Nikki – Running Scared – Azerbaijan (755 votes)
  2. 2008 – Dima Bilan – Believe – Russia (485 votes)
  3. 2001 – Tanel Padar/Dave Benton – Everybody – Estonia (399 votes)
  4. 2002 – Marie N – I Wanna – Latvia (392 votes)
  5. 2014 – Conchita Wurst – Rise Like A Phoenix – Austria (214 votes)
  6. 2006 – Lordi – Hard Rock Hallelujah – Finland (148 votes)
  7. 2010 – Lena – Satellite – Germany (119 votes)
  8. 2013 – Emmelie De Forest – Only Teardrops – Denmark (92 votes)
  9. 2000 – The Olsen Brothers – Fly On The Wings Of Love – Denmark (91 votes)
  10. 2007 – Marija Serifovic – Molitva – Serbia (78 votes)
  11. 2009 – Alexander Rybak – Fairytale – Norway (73 votes)
  12. 2003 – Sertab Erener – Everyway That I Can (69 votes)
  13. 2004 – Ruslana – Wild Dances – Ukraine (68 votes)
  14. 2012 – Loreen – Euphoria – Sweden (65 votes)
  15. 2005 – Helena Paparizou – My Number One – Greece (59 votes)

Loreen with “Euphoria” and Helena Paparizou with “My Number One” received the least amount of votes, which gives us the impression that you think they are the best Eurovision winners of the modern era.

What do y’all think? Are you happy with the results? Was it harsh to choose Ell & Nikki? Is Marie N the rightful owner of this crown? Comments below.

Photo Source: Pieter Van den Berghe (EBU)

6 years ago

@Dean,you are right.Azeri duo is the best in ESC.That’s why Georgia sent duo in 2013 and copied Ell&Nikki

Dean
Dean
6 years ago

Azerbaijan 2011 duo is the best in ESC history.

6 years ago

@Bravo,your opininon about winner 2013 is true because Denmark was ok but Azerbaijan’s Hold Me was better than Teardrops

Lolly
Lolly

@Bravo

Cause we dont like rock… show some tolerance as well

About Azerbaijan if I am not rock Europe reach to a part of Kazakhstan so all the Caucasian countries are Europian imo.

Now about the winners:
2004: S&M (Ukraine was deserved)
2005: Israel (Greece was undeserved)
2006: Russia (Finland was undeserved)
2007: Belarus (Serbia was ok but undeserved imo)
2008: Russia (deserved)
2009: Azerbaijan (Norway was deserved)
2010: Russia (Germany was undeserved)
2011: Belarus (Azerbaijan was undeserved)
2012: Lithuania (Sweden was ok and eeh deserved)
2013: Azerbaijan (Denmark was undeserved)
2014: Poland (Auatria was deserved)

Branco
6 years ago

“Running Sceard” isn’t bad I think. Nice, modern pop song. Commerical, ideal for radio. BUT it might be that they cheated a little, and if that brought them victory, it was not desvered. Like “Believe”, I think it had potential to become a hit all over Europe. But it seems harder for songs from Eastern Europe. Maybe not good enough commerical work?

Branco
6 years ago

Finland 06 – best winner ever. Finally some rock. Why on earth does some people not even like rock…show tolerance for the musical style. There are good and bad songs in every style. This song did great things for ESC..more rock to the contest! ESC needs more of it.

Branco
6 years ago

Austria 14 is the least desvering winner. Bad, old-fashioned, boring and unoriginal song. And the act made it even less deserving. Just what ESC needs LEAST of all!

6 years ago

I had friend that has been to Azerbaijan and he likes Azerbaijani culture especially meals- Yarpak Dolma,3 sisters Dolma and tent weddings.and he says that Azerbaijan is very tolerant countries.even he has seen Armenians and they live together like brother.also other nations-Lezgis,Talishs,Jews

Zac
Zac
6 years ago

I think Azerbaijan is geographically Asian but culturally a mixture, maybe not as much as Armenia because Armenia is a Christian nation and therefore Europe loves them more but yeah it’s a mixture. We shouldn’t be having a bitchfit purely because Azerbaijan had a shitty winner in most people’s eyes, Azerbaijan deserves to be in Eurovision moreso than a country like Israel. Though I prefer Israeli songs over Azerbaijani ones 😛

Azeri
Azeri
6 years ago

i’m a girl 🙂 and i will not comment anymore here just want you to realize the fact about azerbaijan 🙂

6 years ago

Guys, can we please go back to the topic. Save this Azerbaijan debate for another time. I am Deven O’Kearney and I approve of this message (I have gone all Barack Obama here.).

Azeri
Azeri
6 years ago

So go to Azerbaijan and deside for you if we european or iran instead of saying that we are not european just by looking at name azerbaijan cous i can tell you that if you come to azerbaijan that it feels like your in any european country and again Baku near iranian border ahahhaah made my day look at a map

6 years ago

Back to what is real now….

Denmark should have won in 2011 and Azerbaijan, Sweden or Ireland in 2013

Azeri
Azeri
6 years ago

OK JUST EVERYBODY JUST SUS i’m tired of reading azerbaijan is european, azerbaijan is not european all the time!! i’m from Azerbaijan and i consider myself European, we have parts in europe, european culture and not iranian culture please just.. i’m from Baku by the way for the person who said baku is near iran look at a map please and learn before you say something about our countrys geography ok 🙂

6 years ago

@Timbardur62,Why do you only talks about songs?Start a Fire is from Sweden too.But deserved 22nd.and that’s your western neighbours’ song.But Singers?Singers are not European.Eldar and Nigar didn’t won for the song,they won for their voice.Look here and you will saw real Azerbaijani songs and singers http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZRScZIq8waA

6 years ago

Everybody here,Azerbaijan,Armenia and Georgia are called Southern Caucasian Countries.They are not European countries.They are corridor countries between ASIA and EUROPE.

Hi Fatima

Erk and Deven would be a great name for a comedy. By the way, I have a map of the world that includes Kosovo and South Sudan in my room. I am just too lazy to look at it.

Hi Darren
Only Nachchivan city is in Europe, Baku is in Asia and near the border with Azerbaijan in Iran (there is a region called Azerbaijan in Northern Iran). I think that Northern Azerbaijan is in Europe. Believe it or not it is only a 3.5 hour flight from Baku to New Delhi in India.

Darren
Darren

@deven
Part of Azerbaijan lies within the European continental land mass, also culturally, Azerbaijan shares its culture and traditions with other European countries such as Turkey and Russia
Same with Israel, Georgia and Armenia.

Fatima
Fatima
6 years ago

Will someone buy Erk and Deven a map. Israel isn’t in Europe, but those other countries are, including Azerbaijan.

6 years ago

What I meant was why do countries that are not even in Europe want to be a part of the EBU/Eurovision?

Bogdan Honciuc
6 years ago

Deven, as a so-called fan I would have expected you to know that Eurovision is not a European only event. Israel and Morocco, which are not in Europe, have also been in Eurovision. All the countries that are part of the EBU have te right to take part.

Here is a list of the EBU members:

Azeri
Azeri
6 years ago

Actually we are in both Europe and Asia thats why we can join we are not only in Asia we are europe too and our culture is european

davve
davve
6 years ago

@deven, as a eurovision fan u should by now be aware that Eurovision is NOT only for European countries. Actually countries like Egypt, Algeria and Qatar are fully entitled to participate in Eurovision as they are all within the range of the EBU broadcasting…..

get your facts straight.

Erk
Erk
6 years ago

@Deven firstable i am not an Azerbaijani but if Azerbaijan doesn’t enter Eurovision, Armenia,Israel,Georgia,Cyprus shouldn’t attend Eurovision. Because they are not in Europe like Azerbaijan

6 years ago

Why does Azerbaijan even take part in Eurovision if it is NOT EVEN IN EUROPE.

Huh
Huh
6 years ago

You guys might want to read this as well because not only the whole European countries find Azerbaijan’s victory in 2011 an unbearable one, but also their own people, too, has suffered the most from this back then:

Timbardur62
Timbardur62
6 years ago

2006, Hard Rock Hallelujah. Either you like it or hate it. But actually, it is one of the best charted eurovision winners of all times and it was a great commercial succes.
Austria (Ö3 Austria Top 40): 2
Turkey (Turkish Singles Chart): 14
and UK Singles (The Official Charts Company): 25
Source: Wikipedia

Timbardur62
Timbardur62
6 years ago

@Carl of USA. Azerbaijani entries are bought from Swedish songwriters. So, one half of their 1st place belongs to our western neighbour. I really hope Azerbaijan would come an entry that is totally their own.

6 years ago

@Timselvision: I don’t think Believe was a bad song. I actually enjoy the studio version a fair amount. The performance was really not my cup of tea, though. Dima’s singing was awfully labored, and the gimmickry on stage was pretty lame. It felt like they were using famous people who had seemingly nothing to do with the actual music (the skater Plushenko and the violinist Marton – never mind that Marton’s violin couldn’t be heard live due to ESC rules; was he even on the original recording?) as their way of gaining an extra advantage. Not only that, but there… Read more »

6 years ago

Here is my take on the winners from 2000-2014: 2000: ”Fly on the wings of love” is single handedly one of the best songs the Eurovision Song Contest. It just had a guitar and two very conventional brothers singing a simple, yet phenomenal song. 2001: I am not wild about Estonia winning in 2001. It wasn’t as memorable as ”Viva la Diva” from Dana International. Denmark would have been a better winner in 2001. 2002: Oh Golly! You see, this is the point when countries started sending rubbish to the Eurovision Song Contest, and Latvia’s history of brutal songs dates… Read more »

Vlatko Horvat

2012: Albania, Sveden, Serbia or Spain
2013: Ukraine or Holland
2014: Holland or Austrija

Ilias
Ilias
6 years ago

The least deserved winners imo are:

1st 2006
2nd 2004
3rd 2011
4th 2014

DR
DR

@Deven O’Kearney

In 2011 they thought either France or UK was gonna win. They were top two in the odds. Thats why the most dissapointing VMA is named after the Frenchman, cause he was seen as a cert, but didn’t even get on the first half of the board.

@Timselvision

No, but everyone in Ireland, the UK and Scandinavia thought Ireland would win. Hopefully we will win in 2015.

Timselvision
Timselvision
6 years ago

@Deven: nope. Not everybody. I thought Bosnia would win that year.

Timselvision
Timselvision
6 years ago

Why does everybody hate “Believe”? It was a good song in my opinion. Same for “Running Scared”. Yeah, maybe no winner, but a deserved spot in a top five anyway. Both years were very devided because there was not really a certain winner (even worse than this year). In 2008 it was between Ukraine, Armenia and Greece, but more countries had Russia in their top five too. In 2011… yeah, there just wasn´t a clear winner :’)

6 years ago

In 2011, Eveyone was expecting Ireland to be the winners. I feel so sorry for those who had made their hotel reservations for Dublin for Eurovision 2012.

6 years ago

I don’t agree with this result… It was a good song and they performed it well. On the other hand, admittedly, Azerbaijan didn’t deserve to win that year, not over Italy or Germany. But they weren’t the least deserving in this list. I’d give that to Russia in 2008 (having Plushenko on stage and turning his face to the camera does not merit votes!!!), or Greece in 2005.

Lolly
Lolly

@Azeri

Nop.. it is just a bad song which didnt deserve to win. I am not Armenian but I voted

Azeri
Azeri
6 years ago

armenian votes for azerbaijan as worst thats why we are first

6 years ago

Hopefully Spain will win sometime soon. Partially because I am going there on Thursday but mostly because like Austria, it has been more than 40 years since they last won.

Vladimir
Vladimir
6 years ago

My five cents (countries that should have won): 2000 – Estonia or Russia should have won 2001 – France 2002 – Estonia or France 2003 – Turkey deserved it, but I wish I saw Belgium instead 2004 – Ukraine 2005 – Greece 2006 – Romania 2007 – Serbia 2008 – Ukraine 2009 – Norway 2010 – Israel (I was happy for Germany though) 2011 – Denmark 2012 – Sweden 2013 – Denmark 2014 – Armenia I was happy for Austria, because they finally made it after such a long time. However, I pay more intention to the songs themselves. I… Read more »

Since 2000, I think these countries should have won:

2000: Denmark (WINNER) or Ireland
2001: Estonia (WINNER)
2002: UK
2003: Ireland
2004: Greece or Serbia Montenegro
2005: Denmark
2006: Finland (WINNER)
2007: Belarus
2008: Russia (WINNER. Even if Sergei Lazarev was sent.)
2009: Norway (WINNER)
2010: Germany
2011: Denmark (By a mile)
2012: Sweden (WINNER)/Serbia/Hungary
2013: Sweden, Azerbaijan or Ireland
2014: Austria (WINNER) or Armenia

As for 2015, I have a good feeling about either Romania, Ireland (my country), Sweden, Hungary and the Netherlands winning next year.

Leon
Leon
6 years ago

Agree with the results. 1. Azerbaijan had a far better entry in 2009 and 2013. 2. Russia should have never won in 2008, the whole entry was just overhyped and everyone knew how much Russia wanted to host. Armenia should have taken the title followed by Ukraine, Greece and Norway. 3. I’m not even gonna comment on the Latvian and Estonian victories…. 4. I kind of agree that Conchita was overrated. I love the song, loved the message and the performance, but looking back at it, either Armenia or Sweden should have won. 5. I’m not sure if I felt… Read more »

Ciaran
Ciaran
6 years ago

Don’t get why Lordi getting so much hate, it was an iconic moment for me, one of my favourite contests ever, first time I watched the semi and had no idea about betting odds or favourites, i hadnt heard the songs in advance but Lordi came on and I just knew I had to cheer them on all the way, and they got a landslide, highest score ever at the time and biggest margin of victory ever at the time.

Digi
Digi

Vola…Vola…Vola…Insieme A Me…
The Real Winner Eurovision 2013
It’s better than Denmark

If in 2014 Valentina send this Song in Italian so better than English… She is The Real Winner Eurovision 2014 too…

E Forse…Davvero Siamo Anime…

Digi
Digi
6 years ago

2000: Good for Denmark, but Russia still better 2001: Not for Estonia. Germany,Spain,France,or Slovenia deserved can it 2002: Same in 2001. Spain or Malta deserved Can It 2003: Ok for Turkey 2004: Good for Ukraine 2005: Good for Greece 2006: Horrible,Terrible,& The Worst Eurovision Song Forever. Bosnia,Romania,Russia,or Belgium The Real Winner 2007: Ok for Serbia 2008: Dima Bilan deserved in 2006 but in 2008 no because this song so weak. The Real Winner is Armenia,Andorra,Switzerland,San Marino,or Iceland. 2009: The best song for Norway in Eurovision forever. Very Great 2010: Germany it’s ok. But Azerbaijan the real winner 2011: Weak song… Read more »

Paige
Paige
6 years ago

I agree with other’s in the fact that Ukraine should have won in 2008. I think Greece and Armenia were better than Russia that year as well. I also think that Russia should have won in 2000 and Greece should have won in 2001.