As we previously reported, the Big Island is gearing up for its return to the Eurovision Song Contest with an exciting, Melodifestivalen-inspired process. Some details have changed a little: CyBC won’t conduct the process with MAD TV Cyprus, because they didn’t receive as many entries as they had anticipated. Nevertheless, it will be an exciting process beginning in early December and ending with the grand final on February 1. CyBC has already announced the 60 songs of the Cypriot national selection.
Only a great person could host this great series of shows which will take place for the first time ever in Cyprus. It’s rumoured that Eurovision singer Ivi Adamou will host all 10 of the shows. Her entry “La La Love” was loved by everyone in Baku, and the song went on to chart across Europe. It even impressed the hard-to-impress Wiwi Jury!
There are going to be 4 jurors. The rumour mill reports they will be: Despina Olympiou (2012), Alex Panayi (1995, 2000), Elena Patroklou (1991) and Tasos Tryfonos.
NATIONAL SELECTION PARTICIPANTS
1. VICTORIOUS – Yuri Melikov (finalist of the Voice Of Greece)
2. UNICORN – Anastasia Liberos
3. LONELY – Lucy Sofroniou
4. MIRACLE – Olivia Sofocli
5. RUN RUN RUN – Nelena Paparisva
6. SCARED Valence (Chrisovalantis Nikolaou)
7. LET YOUR MIND FREE – Flirt
8. CHLOMI SELINI (Pale Moon) – Nikolas Leventis
9. ONE THING I SHOULD HAVE DONE – Giannis Karagiannis
10. RAINBOW – Kostas Karaiskos
11. SHINE – Minus One
12. STONE IN A RIVER – Hovig
13. COME AND FIGHT FOR FREEDOM- Eva Diva
14. DON’T GIVE UP ON ME(JUST YET) – ApolloNia
15. SHAKE DAT – Kyriakos Georgiou
16. YOU CAN’T STOP LOVE – Christina Papaioannou
17. RIGHT IN – Aimili Charalampous
18. ENA KAFE MAZI (A coffee together) – Nikolas Mavromichalis
19. WITHOUT YOUR LOVE – Panaiotis Koufogiannis
20. MAGIC – Doody
21. FIND ME – Myria Pampori
22. NO MONEY NO HONEY – Elena Panagi
23. STEKO AKOMA (Standing still) – Kostas Archontous
24. STILL – Maria Evangelou
25. PLAY ME LIKE A POP SONG – Maria Evangelou
26. MY AURA IS BRIGHT – Christalla Patsia feat. dj performer Kypros Karavioti
27. SAID IT ALL BEFORE – Pieros Kezou
28. LIVE YOUR MYTH – Adrenaline by Kristis Koupatos
29. CALL ON LOVE – Stefanos Tsihtsios (Stephano Prunabelli)
30. MARCH TO DOUBT – Stefanos Tsihtsios (Stephano Prunabelli)
31. BEAT OF MY HEART – Ioanna Protopapa
32. WORLD ONE – Stella Esmeralda Konstantinou
33. DAWN – Eleni Irakleous
34. CHOREVO MAMBO (I dance mambo) – Evagoras Evagorou
35. THA SOU TRAGOUDISO (I will sing you) – Maria Pavlou
36. UNTIL THE END OF TIME – Lady Ava
37. EIMAI EDO (I am here) – Nikos Trikki
38. YOUR LOVE – Gore Melian
39. STAND UP – Constantinos Michailoudis
40. MEINE (Stay) – Christos Rialias
41. DEILA DEN AGAPO (I don’t love shy)- Charis Savva, Nearchos Evaggelou
42. THE KEY IS LOVE – Lady Ava
43. REAL YOU – Eleni Savva
44. HEAVEN ON EARTH – Eleonora
45. ALONE IN LOVE – Lefki Stylianou
46. THELO NA GINO OURANOS (I want to be the sky) – Stella Stylianou
47. THELO NA CHATHO (I want to disappear) – Stella Stylianou
48. Kori Ths Mesogeiou (daughtter of the Mediterean) – Christodoula Tsaggara
49. LONELY NIGHTS – Lefki Stylianou
50. I DIDN’T KNOW – Christina Matsa
51. WHEN I LOOK AT YOU – Dimitris Iakovou
52. CALL FOR ME – Joshep Charalampous
53. I WANNA DANCE(I SAY TEMPO) – Joshep Charalampous
54. #IS THIS REAL LIFE – Groove Therapy
55. SAILING SHIPS PIRATES AND DRAGONS – Giorgos Moisi, Maria Moskofian, Christina X”Iordanous
56. IN THIS ARMS – Christina Tselepou
57. WHEN WE USED TO BE – Constantina Georgiou
58. REMENBER MY LOVE – Ifigeneia Loukaidou feat. Lyrical Eye
59. JUST ANOTHER GUY – Marios Liasidis
60. REBOUND – Neofitos Straths
The first and longest phase will begin on December 7, with pre-recorded shows. These will include:
The singer will briefly describe his/her life and connection to Eurovision, and he will sing an entry from any of the 60 editions of Eurovisions acapella.
This will be something like the “Voice” backstage. Friends, relatives and the writers of the entry are welcomed to watch the singer’s performance in a special room. Maximum number of 3 people.
Chit-chat with the competitor mainly over his/her life so far. Live presentation of the entry to the 4 jurors with half playback. Only the lead singer will sing, while the jury will comment on his/her performance. The artist has to collect 3 “YES” votes from the jurors, so as to continue to the next phase. Only a 1-minute shot will be shown to the televiewers, without revealling the whole song. 20 entries will continue.
20 entries are competing for 10 places at the next Euro Challenge.
The singer talks about his feeling after proceeding to this phase.
It’s the same process with the Auditions.
Things change a bit here. The artist is asked to present his entry with a satisfying stage appearance, but without any dancers. Only 60-90 seconds of his/her performance will be shown on TV. After listening to all 20 entries, the jury will call all the artists in pairs of 2, revealing which one proceeds to EuroChallenge 2.
Only 10 entries will take part in the third phase of the Cypriot selection, while the 6 best songs will proceed to the grand final.
It’s the same process
It’s the same process
The singers will be asked to sing an entry from any of the 60 editions of Eurovision with music from a piano. There are also going to be questions from journalists, like a PR / Stress Test. Only 60-90 seconds of the performance will be shown on TV. After listening to all participants, the jurors will anounce the 6 singers advancing to the grand final.
Grand Final – February 1st
The result will be drawn by 50% jury vote and 50% televoting. Six singers will be participating, and one of them will represent Cyprus in Vienna.
What do you thing of the selection format? Could Cyprus bring the winning song to Austria?