Trijntje and that dress backstage in Vienna

Are y’all suddenly craving milk? The Netherland’s Eurovision 2015 star Trijntje Oosterhuis made a splash during her first rehearsal yesterday when she revealed her dress — a hip-hugging black number with a very big cut-out that revealed her spilling cleavage. We loved her vocals, but couldn’t stop thinking that she might stop and breastfeed her backing vocalists.

In our review, wiwiblogger Chris said her veil-and-dress combo made her look like a “slutty widow”, which Dutch newspaper De Telegraaf seized on. Don’t say it’s just foreigners hating. Even Dutch Eurovision commentator Cornald Maas threw some shade on Twitter: “Trijntje rehearses in Vienna … The vocal strong and the outfit is … uhm … risky..”

Trijntje eurovision dress
Volunteer to Trijntje: “Miss Oosterhuis, do you need some tape?”

Our best guess is that the jagged cut-out, which looks like shards of broken glass, reflects the lyrics — “Walk Along” is all about a broken-hearted woman trying to piece herself back together. But when wiwiblogger Padraig spoke with Trijntje afterwards, she didn’t feel like elaborating. “You have to look at it,” she said. “There’s nothing more to say.”

We posted the following photo on our Instagram account, and user “lercylicious” rushed to defend Trijntje. “OMG,” he writes. “People are so narrow minded! A bearded woman or horror masks are ok, but when a woman with curves wears a tight dress and shows a little bit boob the whole ESC community gets a fit? Strange! This woman is proud of her body and I think that’s beautiful! Please show some support for this amazing woman with the most amazing vocals and strong personality!”

Trijntje is all over the Dutch media with THE DRESS. #eurovision #eurovision2015 #thenetherlands

A photo posted by wiwibloggs (@wiwibloggs) on

Where do you stand on Boobgate? Should people back off of Trijntje? Do you want her to change her outfit before her semi-final?

Follow all of our Netherlands Eurovision coverage here

Total
Shares
Marcus
Marcus
5 years ago

I didn’t mind some “colourful language” by bloggers. We have freedom of speech and press. But I found it very unprofessional that they laughed at her (made fun of her) in the press center. That goes to far for me. It’s childish and unprofessional. I think people with such behavior should not get press accreditation. If it happens again Friday I’ll probably get so heated up that I’ll send a complaint to the organisation, because something is REALLY not right about that. This is Eurovision! Things like the dress-talk is also what makes it fun. And it gives content for… Read more »

LERCY
LERCY
5 years ago

Conchita has said that she loved the dress and her voice. She loves it that Trijntje is confident enough to wear that dress. At least Conchita is still open minded and allows this woman to wear she wants. Love for Conchita!

Rrrr
Rrrr
5 years ago

Look at the not-so-openminded Eurovision gay patrol recoiling at the sight of a boob.. who are you, the Taliban?

Otna
Otna

WERK IT GURL <3

5 years ago

the problem is that the dress is NOT appropriate for a song like WALK ALONG. I’d love to see Trintje wearing it while singing other types of songs but Walk Along! Cmon she’s a classy lady, there are a lot of outfits. Why that particular one? All the attention will be focused on her cleavage instead of the song.

Remember Greece 2003, Poland 2004, Romania 2004…countries with by far stronger televoting power but they flopped hard.

Mamarijke
Mamarijke
5 years ago

No. Just No. Dont like it. I like Trijntje. Like her voice. Like the song. But the dress Ugh.

mawnck
mawnck
5 years ago

“Moran Mozar weared a dress like this and that was all accepted?” No, Moran Mazor wore a dress like that and BECAME A SURPRISE NON-QUALIFIER because of it. Which is the real point. If you perform in an ugly, distracting outfit, whether it shows boobs or not, nobody will vote for you no matter how good your performance is otherwise. It doesn’t matter whether it’s right or not, and it has nothing to do with the cleavage. Bottom line, the dress makes her look absolutely ridiculous. The national commentators will barbecue her for it. And if she wears it in… Read more »

Chris
5 years ago

It will make the people who appreciate a breast to vote for her.

For me, it is unsuitable for her song. The song is so casual and pleasant and a black breast revealing formal dress is incorrect for the presentation. I’d have to ask her to go away and change.

Demi
Demi
5 years ago

Go Trijntje, you have a great voice and a lot of the participants could wish they sing like you. and the dress?? i love it, better than the weird hot pants from Georgia or the big grey dress from Serbia or the simple jeans and black metal tshirts from Finland, the 70’s cloths from Armenia and Hungary…. or you have the perfect firgure and you put on a big glitterbag like Greece.

Eric
Eric
5 years ago

The dress is obviously a distraction and for that reason it needs an adjustment. No issue with the close fitting or even the cleavage. The choppy little jagged flaps look like the designer is still finishing the dress but she let her wear it to the rehearsal to see how it worked. It needs some trim or jewels or something to look more intentional.

David Thielen
David Thielen
5 years ago

She’s beautiful and I think the dress shows off that beauty well. I like it – a lot.

Maxim
Maxim
5 years ago

My first reaction was ‘huh’ because I didn’t expect this at all. But now I am OK with it. But I think The Netherlands will go to the final. Good luck!

Francheska
5 years ago

My only problem are those cut-outs/flaps. So first-grader. Otherwise, it’s a nice silhouette and is quite flattering. It’s such a shame that more people aren’t supportive.

bastian
bastian
5 years ago

I totally agree on this comment: People are so narrow minded! A bearded woman or horror masks are ok, but when a woman with curves wears a tight dress and shows a little bit boob the whole ESC community gets a fit? Strange! This woman is proud of her body and I think that’s beautiful! Please show some support for this amazing woman with the most amazing vocals and strong personality!” I love the dress 🙂 Who cares she is 42 and mother? Seriously, life does NOT end from that moment. A woman with curves is beautiful to look at… Read more »

Nebi
Nebi
5 years ago

I think the dress is fine from an exposure sense. We have had this in the past: Greece 2003, Israel 2013, Poland 2014, etc. I also think she carries the dress fine and a 42 year old can be very sexy (and I do not think she’s fat at all). The key issue is does this distract from the song. I fear they will be in the third minute before people start concentrating on the song.

Johnny Blue
Johnny Blue
5 years ago

Gay guys are affraid of boobs… lol

Her dress is amazing!!!!!!!!

Seddik Ghoule
Seddik Ghoule
5 years ago

I think she is a beautiful woman and looks great in that dress.How darw you all make fun of her after voting for that freak show last year over our entry, which should have won if this SONGcontest was about music.

Otna
Otna

I’m converted – you look glam ‘Trisha’, werk it girl <3

L3RCY
L3RCY
5 years ago

I honestly felt pain when I saw this article. Pain for her. Why go on with this bashing. The headline is so negative. Off course Trijntje didn’t say much about her dress to you, because the wiwibloggs interview was so uncomfortable for her. In all the other interviews Trijntje was extremly open, authentic and sweet, but the vibe you were sending out was not positive and now this article. I simply don’t understand why a bearded woman or horror masks are okay. Or in earlier years very sexual or gay performers were supported for being theirselfs, but when a woman… Read more »

MalteseTimpana
MalteseTimpana
5 years ago

The problem is not that she is showing some side boob, it’s that the dress is a hot mess. It’s like her official dress was arriving late so she grabbed the first dress she saw and started to cut shapes in it. I don’t mind if she shows some cleavage but she could’ve made the cut cleaner

usernamedennis
usernamedennis
5 years ago

I’m with Robyn on this one. The dress seems ‘ill-fitted’ to the song.. And yes, this was only the first rehearsal, but #dressgate may point to something more important. I would say that the attention the dress has drawn is a result of a discrepancy between various elements of the staging as a whole, which is the reason why many don’t seem to understand why she is wearing it in the first place. This is also what the wiwi-team commented on yesterday and what their critique was directed towards: the dress, the veil, the outfits of the background vocalists, the… Read more »

Femke
Femke
5 years ago

Beautifull dress, killer body! Really stunning.
Most important: The BEST vocals damned this woman can really sing!

Go Trijntje Go Trijntje!!! Whoop Whoop

Jack
Jack
5 years ago

No, baby! No! Too old and too fat for that dress! But saying that, nobody would look good in it.

Sal
Sal
5 years ago

Sorry but she looks way over 42….I’d still do her, with or without her dress!

Julie
Julie
5 years ago

If seeing a pair of breasts automatically makes you think of breastfeeding AND this bothers you so much, I think that’s more of a problem with you than with the dress, guys. There might be cultural differences at play here, but I really don’t see how she (or anyone) should deserve to be “reviewed” in this way.

Fatima
Fatima
5 years ago

But Robyn, all Cesar was exposing in that outfit was a few chest hairs. His ‘bits’ were well hidden, unlike those of Trijntje.

Wokkel
Wokkel
5 years ago

We all know now how she looks so we can focus on two other points, her lovely song and her amazing voice!! Go Trijntje!!

Auggie
Auggie
5 years ago

Although, the cutout may seem a bit too much, I don’t think so. Not many women with curves can rock it, like she CAN; Not many women at FREAKING 42 can rock a dress the way she does. It may not be the ultimate gown on haute couture, but GO GIRLLLLLL!!!! Show ’em like it is! Yaaaaaaaaaassssssssssssssss!!!!!!!!

She wears it with attitude and she is ROCKING it! #GoTrijntje

NoYesNoMaybe?
NoYesNoMaybe?
5 years ago

I read that comment on instagram, and yes it made me think. He is totally right, turns out. Even though I am not a fan of overexposure, when seen from that point of view and in the eurovision context, I believe we should just let her alone. And btw who remembers Poland lasr year?

Louis
Louis
5 years ago

I don’t understand why Trijntje’s Dress got so much attention.. More important are her Amazing and flawless Live vocals, WOW, that woman can sing!
Go Netherlands!

Mitchelvaneijk
5 years ago

Omg i am already done with this nonsense

Conchita weard a beard, Poland had 2 sluts last year. Moran Mozar weared a dress like this and that was all accepted? Lordi weared all costums. Don’t like this topic ????????????

Afrivision
Afrivision
5 years ago

She’s a beautiful woman… And a lil boobies never hurt nobody (work ma body, won’t you get me bodied, get me bodied) *pats weave* 🙂

Mitchelvaneijk
5 years ago

Just get on with today’s rehearsal wiwibloggs.

Mitchelvaneijk
5 years ago

And this does not deserve the Barbara Dex award. Btw i think its really cool that you already can see who is gonna have the Award, because yeah, you aleady have seen all the clothes -_-

Robyn Gallagher
Admin
5 years ago

Fatima: Remember Cezar from 2013? His sexy disco Dracula gown had even more of a plunging V than Trisha’s one.

Robyn Gallagher
Admin
5 years ago

I appreciate the dress for what it is (and she can totally wear it), but I don’t think a dress with that much dark sexual drama really works with the theme of the song. But maybe it will all come together at the semi-final. The staging, that is. The dress clearly isn’t coming together any time soon.

mocosuburbian
mocosuburbian
5 years ago

It’s not really that revealing
I don’t get it

Racal
Racal
5 years ago

I was very critical of that dress yesterday, but the comment of that “lercylicious” kinda made me see it differently. “When a woman with curves wears a tight dress and shows a little bit boob the whole ESC community gets a fit? Strange! This woman is proud of her body and I think that’s beautiful!”. That guy is absolutely right… I don’t think there would be so much noise if Trijntje was a 20-yr-old Ukrainian model. I changed my mind, go for it Trijntje! 🙂

Fatima
Fatima
5 years ago

Why are female celebrities so keen to show off their bits ? It doesn’t happen with men. Václav Noid Barta isn’t going to come on wearing a rubber codpiece, is he ?

Huh
Huh
5 years ago

She should not feel bad about the negative feedback she receives from her dress. Makes me sad that she’s slowly getting upset by it. But I am one of the people cheering for what she wants to wear even if it does or does not reflect much about her song.

Hannes
Hannes

Barbara dex award 2015? 😀

Sal
Sal

Tetas!

Leo
Leo

Come on Trjntje …
There are so many nice & trendy shops in Vienna where she could easily find something new which will suit her & for her show perfectly.

Eris
Eris

First thought: BOOBS 😛

Otna
Otna
5 years ago

I think it’s gonna be a Barbara Dex runaway winner TBH, but if she can wear what she likes as long as she’s happy with it. Excited to see the performance!

Bogdan Honciuc
5 years ago

The fact that she picked the dress says it all… That’s what stylists are for, honey. Trijntje is an amazing singer, but with zero fashion sense. She needs to change the gown, otherwise the viewers’ focus will shift from the good song to the bad dress.

Also, the designer is the same one behind the tacky outfits for The Toppers in 2009. Need I say more?

Tom
Tom
5 years ago

The dress actually symbolizes the whole concept of the song. Her heart is ripped out of her chest and put on the stage for everyone to see. And still she is strong enough to face it and move on, eventually. That’s what the designer of the dress had to say about it. I absolutely adore it!

Nicky
Nicky
5 years ago

Oh, come on guys. It was enough. I know that you are the blog with attitude, but give her some rest. She is 42, she is a true diva of Holland, and hell she can sing. So I think every now and then she has the right to ”do” ”this or that”. Not only that you are not neutral (ok, we all have our favourites, nobody really expects that), but you are actually bashing her so harshly and openly. What if Holland gets mad and doesn’t let you enter the next Eurovision in Concert in Amsterdam? 🙂 Greeting from Serbia!… Read more »