On March 22 we asked our readers to start voting for their favourites to win the first semi final of Eurovision 2015. Since then they have cast a total of 63,348 votes. Estonia’s Elina & Stig, Russia’s Polinga Gagarina, and Belgium’s Loic Nottet each earned more than 9,000 votes. But in the end Albania’s Elhaida Dani — The Voice of Italy winner who gives us black sequined caftan realness on the Eurovision stage — emerged as our readers’ favourite. She earned an impressive 10,324 votes — or more than 16% of all those cast — for her song “I’m Alive”. But it’s really a case of coming back to life. As Elhaida told us in a recent interview, she lost her voice ahead of Eurovision and had to remain silent for three days…
Hot on her heels is Belgium’s Loic, who, after a rough first rehearsal, has bounced back and was in top form during the jury final on Monday evening. He earned 9,839 votes, and trailed Elhaida by less than one percentage point.
Russia’s Polina earned 9,631 votes with her peace anthem “A Million Voices”. She looks like a glamorous jellyfish when her LED dress illuminates from above. Could she swim to victory?
Estonia’s Elina & Stig — a long-time favourite of the bookies — came fourth with our readers. But they came first with the Wiwi Jury — our in-house panel of musical unprofessionals. They nailed their jury performance on Monday evening — hear our thoughts here. When they sing to each other it’s like they’re having angry sex. Feel the heat and passion!
Based on our poll results the other qualifiers will be Georgia, Armenia, Greece, Romania, The Netherlands and Serbia. That means Belarus, FYR Macedonia, Denmark, Hungary, Finland, and Moldova will not make the final.
Please note: Our poll opened at the end of March, and the bulk of these votes were cast prior to the live rehearsals in Vienna. Interestingly, Georgia’s Nina Sublatti won our poll for best rehearsal in the semi. Could that spell victory for her?
Who are your Top 10 qualifiers? Are our results ridic, or do they generally reflect your preferred 10?
Poll results: Semi final 1
- Albania: Elhaida Dani with “I’m Alive” 16.3% (10,324 votes)
- Belgium: Loïc Nottet with “Rhythm Inside” 15.53% (9,839 votes)
- Russia: Polina Gagarina with “A Million Voices” 15.2% (9,631 votes)
- Estonia: Elina & Stig with “Goodbye to Yesterday” 14.99% (9,498 votes)
- Georgia: Nina Sublatti with “Warrior” 12.17% (7,708 votes)
- Armenia: Genealogy with “Face the Shadow” 7.55% (4,782 votes)
- Greece: Maria-Elena Kyriakou with “One Last Breath” 3.07% (1,942 votes)
- Romania: Voltaj with “De La Capat” 2.73% (1,730 votes)
- The Netherlands: Trijntje Oosterhuis with “Walk Along” 2.62% (1,657 votes)
- Serbia: Bojana Stamenov with “Ceo svet je moj” 2.53% (1,600 votes)
- Belarus: Uzari and Maimuna With “Time” 2.35% (1,486 votes)
- FYR Macedonia: Daniel Kajmakoski with “Lisja esenski” 1.44% (915 votes)
- Denmark: Anti Social Media with “The Way You Are” 1.06% (670 votes)
- Hungary: Boggie with “Wars for Nothing” 0.92% (582 votes)
- Finland: Pertti Kurikan Nimipäivät with “Aina mun pitää” 0.8% (505 votes)
- Moldova: Eduard Romanyuta with “I Want Your Love” 0.74% (479 votes)
Total Votes: 63,348