Not everyone can be a Mariah or a Whitney. At Eurovision 2015 the UK’s Electro Velvet sang “Still in Love With You”, and Europe laughed at them but not with them. Iceland’s Maria Olafs sang “Unbroken”, and we knew she wasn’t talking about her cracky voice. Albania’s Elhaida Dani went for the high notes — and at times misfired so bad we thought she might blow out a speaker. But in the end our readers thought that one act was a bigger vocal disaster than all the rest. After counting 3,179 votes, we can now reveal that Finland’s Pertti Kurikan Nimipäivät (PKN) have won the 2015 Vision Music Award for Worst Live Vocals.

During semi final 1, PKN — whose members have Down syndrome and autism — showed the world that people with special needs can rock out. Sadly this specific group just didn’t have the vocals or the song to win over the jury. The panel of musical professionals ranked them and their song “Aina mun Pitää” dead last, awarding them just one point. That put them 41 points behind next-to-last Macedonia. (Had the semi been determined strictly by the televote, PKN would have advanced. The public gave them 51 points, which was good enough for tenth place).

PKN join an illustrious group of singers who could use a little Auto Tune. Germany’s Cascada took the title in 2013, while Ireland’s Can-Linn won last year.

Worst Live Vocals 2015: Results

1. Pertti Kurian Nimipaivat: 718 votes (22.59%)
  2. Elhaida Dani: 714 votes (22.46%)
  3. Maria Olafs: 687 votes (21.61%)
  4. Electro Velvet: 612 votes (19.25%)
  5. Michele and Anita: 448 votes (14.09%)

Total votes: 3,179 votes

Vision Music Awards 2015: The Nominees

This award is just one of a dozen awards we have launched as part of the Vision Music Awards 2015 (VMAs). Our 13 categories—from best dressed to most most wronged at ESC—identify the contestants who left the biggest impression on Eurovision fans, regardless of whether they won the contest or not. You can watch the nominations video below. You can also read more about the awards here.

PKN at Eurovision 2015

Follow all of our Finland news here

4 years ago

What about Netherlands? Granted, her vocals were not the worst, but the whole performance was awful! It was almost embarrassing to watch.

2015
2015
5 years ago

Thats what you get if you send an terrible song.
Opera Skaala, Siru, Satin circus and Solju would’ve done so well in the grand final.
None of these would’ve won from Sweden, but with ”Heart of Light” they’ve might aswell kicked into the 5th place. Make the right decision next year Finland.

CarleighTheAngel
CarleighTheAngel
5 years ago

I think maybe F.Y.R. Macedonia should be there too, Daniel Kajmakoski sung out of tune throughout his whole performance!!

Oostenrijk
Oostenrijk
5 years ago

I attended the jury final and every performance looked and sounded so much better live than on TV. However Elhaida Dani also sucked there vocally big time already in the jury final. She delivered the only horrible performance of the jury final. In my opinion she deserved last place in both the jury and the tv final. However, her song was actually great.

Huh
Huh
5 years ago

I feel bad about Elhaida and Maria Olafs. Nervousness (if not fear) is really your greatest enemy on stage.

PKN’s vocalist shocked me because he shouted on stage. I expected them to perform like what they just did on the studio version. It’s too heavy metal than being a punk.

mawnck
mawnck
5 years ago

Joining the comment pile-on: PKN’s vocals were EXACTLY what they were going for, whereas Elhaida Dani just plain sucked … not just by Eurovision standards, but by anyone’s. @lol: Your defense of her singing says a lot more about you than it does about her. The rest of us have ears, and we KNOW how she sounded. She provided the two most inept vocal performances in the televised presentation. Maria Olafs, shaky as she was, was FAR better. Other than PKN, I actually agree with these rankings. (They must be ice-skating in Hell right now!) I think the singer (whoever… Read more »

lol
lol
5 years ago

Alex and Davven, maybe some places she didn’t hit one low note, but that was because she was ill, and that happened to almost all the singers !!!

and she hit the high notes in both performances !! you are tone deaf if you can’t hear that

Freddi
Freddi
5 years ago

I am glad to see many of the posters here have much more insight than those people oting in this poll! Really – if you thought their vocals were so bad….it seems you have little insight into this kind of music. Ignorant people voting! I am not an expert of punk music either, but I like the style. And when you sing punk, you are not supposed to sound like Josh Gorban! A more raw and edgy singing style is natural…and fits the music better. A silly voting indeed….seems those who voted have no idea of the nature of punk.… Read more »

5 years ago

@lol: Are you kidding? Her notes were very frequently sharp for both performances. The only performance where she hit the notes reasonably well was in the jury semifinal. Everything else just did not sound good at all.

I agree 100% with John. This should really go to Elhaida, with Edurne 2nd (why was she left out?) and Maria 3rd. PKN sounded exactly as they intended to sound and really don’t belong in the poll – it’s essentially comparing apples to oranges.

Julian
Julian
5 years ago

The song from PKN was not so good. It was too short and did not give people time to listen and connect, instead most chased it like a bad dream. The lead singer voice was unexpectedly impressive and in character with punk. Worst singing was by far Iceland.

Davve
Davve
5 years ago

Elhaidas vocals was all over the place… She struggled with a song that clearly was to big for her.

lol
lol
5 years ago

whoever say elhaida was out of key is WRONG

she sang in tune both performances

PhysalisFranchetti
5 years ago

@Robyn I don’t think that PKN had bad vocals – as you said, gruffness, growl and attitude are their brand. Personally, I really liked the lead singer’s voice – it was so gravelly and really suited to a punk song. PKN weren’t in the semi I was able to vote in, otherwise I would have voted for them – punk in the midst of all those ballads? – a breath of fresh air. As I said with regards to the Barbara Dex award – I am unhappy with the concept of awards for the Worst Dressed or the Worst Vocals… Read more »

ESCaddict
ESCaddict
5 years ago

PKN’s voices were on point. That was what the song needed. People are just criticising the song.
Worse vocals should go to Macedonia or Iceland.

drag
drag
5 years ago

this year many bad voice, spain, den, fin, sanmarino, uk. ù
The most nice voice and interpretation is Lisa Angeli france.

ayayay
ayayay
5 years ago

Every of us (str8) hopes, that Finland will send something similar next year. Every special songs are more than welcome!

random.sage2.0
5 years ago

lol I loved PKN’s performance and all the rough growling rage but Punk music is NOT meant to be mainstream and Eurovision is mainstream so I’d knew it’d fail.

Oostenrijk
Oostenrijk
5 years ago

Finland, seriously? They didnt sound worse live than they did before.

My nominees would have been Albania, Iceland, Denmark and UK…… they all sounded awful live….

Dar
Dar
5 years ago

hopefully finland learned a lesson not to send crap like that to eurovision .. it was a train wreck on fire ..

paco
5 years ago

La razon por la que Edurne,no fue incluida en esta lista,es por que no se lo merece.

Mar
Mar
5 years ago

That’s not really fair, their vocals weren’t bad, they were meant to sound the way they did. PKN didn’t have a faulty performance, although the same cannot be said about María Olafs and Elhaida Dani.

Mikko Suhonen
5 years ago

PKN went to Vienna to win, and finally they did. Congratulations.

John
John
5 years ago

I understand why people would vote PKN out, it’s not the style of music they like. I think Elhaida’s vocals were much worse though for the song she was singing. Edurne would’ve finished 2nd after Elhaida but she wasn’t included for some reason. Then Maria. And that finishes the out of tune section.

EF0912
EF0912
5 years ago

Elhaida Dani’s vocal performance improved for the final but not by enough. She CAN sing live but ‘I’m Alive’ is a difficult song to sing so I wasn’t surprised when she struggled.

PKN was supposed to sound like how Kari did on the night so it definitley wasn’t the worst vocal.

For me the winner should be Maria Olafsdottir whose performance wasn’t too bad but was quite shaky.

Robyn Gallagher
Admin
5 years ago

I’m ok with PKN winning this because bad vocals are pretty much their brand. Kari isn’t meant to be a sweet singer. That gruffness, growl and attitude is part of the PKN style.

But I don’t think Elhaida Dani would say that breathy and shrieky is intended to be her brand.

...
...
5 years ago

They were the composers of music, but I think the music is a bit repetitive and short. but they were better than Poland, I don’t know how Poland was finalist …
Go Finland, we need more hard rock!

Nick
Nick
5 years ago

Funny how they just beat Elhaida by 4 votes. Although I do love her, her performance really wasn’t great, and even though 17th place really didn’t give ‘I’m Alive’ any justice, she couldn’t have asked for anything better, because of her live vocals.