Yesterday singer Michael Fallon won Svensktoppen Nästa, a Swedish radio contest meant to discover new musical talents. The winner normally walks away knowing his or her song will be looped on Radio P4 — and that they have an automatic berth in Melodifestivalen. But, in a surprise move, the jury has decided to send the three-piece group Smajling Swedes to Melfest over Michael. Apparently their song “Goosebumps” — which includes a lot of saxy interludes — had the desired effect.

Louis Alfredsson, the editor of Poplight, is clearly annoyed that SVT is ignoring the result — determined by a mix of jury and SMS voting.

“I understand that Christer Björkman [the man in charge of Melodifestivalen and Eurovision in Sweden] wants to make the best television programs possible, but this was the only chance for the audience to vote in an artist to Melodifestivalen,” he says. “Now, SVT has closed that possibility. I think it feels a little ridiculous.”

Fannon put on a brave face: “Don’t worry. I’m just so pleased to have won this competition and that my song gets a chance in the Swedish charts. Sure, I want to be in the contest but it is not too late yet. I intend to submit a couple of my own contributions and hope to [one day get there].”

You can listen to both songs below. Which do you prefer?

Smajling Swedes — “Goosebumps”

Michael Fannon — “KOMMER TID, KOMMER RÅD”

Visit Michael Fannon’s official web site now!

Follow all of our Sweden Eurovision news here

CookyMonzta
CookyMonzta
5 years ago

Based on what I just heard, I don’t think either one can win Melfest, let alone qualify for the ESC final.

Branko
Branko
5 years ago

But in Melodifestivalen they will sing another song, so what’s the matter…? Maybe the other song will be ****, so why not send the winner? Maybe Björkman likes the group for another reason?

Mary A
Mary A
5 years ago

The thing is that SVT Swedish Television in democratic Sweden is (or shall be) a so called ”public service” company for the people ”folk” and same time Christer Bjorkman act as a dictator for the swedish public service program Melodifestivalen in democratic country Sweden

Emilié Landin
Emilié Landin
5 years ago

smart move Christer Björkman, I totally trust him to make better decisions than the swedish folk. :p I don’t think it’ll change anything in the mello result but ofc I want the best they can get to compete. On homesoil next year at that!

Eugene ESC UK
5 years ago

Wow how dated is “KOMMER TID, KOMMER RÅD”, this is a very very poor effort in 2015!!! Christer Bjorkman is the Master at his trade and really does know what he is doing in my opinion. After so many below average songs last year at Melfest Bjorkman has to focus on current sounds and hopefully quality songs and make a genuine show this time. To be 100% honest neither song is anything special really and neither would/could win Melfest but “GOOSEBUMPS” is more current and chartable but we have heard this style so many times before. Also “GOOSEBUMPS” is in… Read more »

Oostenrijk
Oostenrijk
5 years ago

Robyn, if it’s no big deal, why was this article even posted that makes it sound so controversial? Clickbait?

Robyn Gallagher
Admin
5 years ago

It’s only been since 2012 that the winner of Svensktoppen Nästa has also got a Melfest entry. And in that time, no entrant has ever made it to the Melfest final.

Mike
Mike
5 years ago

After Reading Robyn’s input, I went to YouTube and checked out both performances. Fannon’s wasnt up, but SMAJLING was… and I’m sorry but it simply is a terrible performance. The vocalist wont stop nervously moving from one side to the other, his vocal abilities are questionable and overall their performance was very lame.

Now, even though Fannon’s perfomance on the night wasn’t up on YouTube, there is another one that I really enjoyed… so cut the crap. Björkman chose SMAJLING only cause he felt like it, not because they are gonna be better on camara than Fannon.

Robyn Gallagher
Admin
5 years ago

There’s more info at the Melfest website (in Swedish).

It makes a really good point – Svensktoppen nästa is a radio show while Melodifestivalen (and Eurovision!) is a television show so visuals matter too. For a song to translate to Melfest, it also has to have a strong visual component. From the sound of it, while Michael Fannon’s song was great but he didn’t come across so well on stage.

Mitchelvaneijk
5 years ago

@Oostenrijk read Robyns comment before putting in conclusions

Oostenrijk
Oostenrijk
5 years ago

The kraken in chief did it again. OMG, I think MelFest and ESC 2016 will be a big joke. I wont vote for anyone next year and let Christer Bjorkman handpick the result.

bavarson
bavarson
5 years ago

2nd song is better for Melodifestivalen, but 1st song is more original.

skjwoesch
skjwoesch
5 years ago

WHAT?!?!??!?!!? MICHAEL FANNON HAD THE BEST SONG OMG IM SO ANNOYED -_- what the hell i hope he gets picked for Melfest this year -_-

Jake
Jake
5 years ago

Im shocked…Fannon’s song was more fun, had more energy and was very sing-along…Goosebumps just sounds like a weaker version of what is already on the radio–it’ll get lost in melfest …Fannon even seems more camera friendly

Adam
Adam
5 years ago

I think in the end it doesnt matter. All Svensktoppen Nästa does is pick which act is going to get last place in their Deltävling

Robyn Gallagher
Admin
5 years ago

More info from the official rules of Melfest 2016. There are 28 entries. Half are chosen from submissions, the other 14 are invited by SVT. One of those 14 invited acts is “a finalist from Svensktoppen Nästa”. There’s no mention at all of it being the winner.

Svensktoppen Nästa is about finding an act/song that will be a chart hit, which is not necessarily going to be the same as a song that will do well at Melfest/Eurovision. So for the Melfest entry, it makes sense to pick the finalist that has the best potential for Melfest.

Thiefo
5 years ago

I honestly prefer Goosebumps by far, so I’m ok with the decision 😛 And according to Robyn’s clarification, then it wasn’t unfair and no rules were broken, another reason why I’m more than pleased with this. Their style reminds me a little of Kygo… a third reason to be happy with this, hah!

Robyn Gallagher
Admin
5 years ago

It’s important to clarify: from the start, it was always made clear that the Melfest place would go to one of the top eight finalists, not necessarily the winner. So this isn’t a shock change – it’s following the established rules.

Was it a good choice? Michael Fannon’s song sounds like a rejected Roberto Bellarosa track, while the Smajling Swedes’s song sounds like a modern pop song and generally a much better choice for Melfest. But yeah – they really need to ditch the band name.

Grace
Grace
5 years ago

It’s unfair, I mean, the winner of the competition was promised a place in Melfest, but now they’ve kind of gone back on their word…? Michael’s song was better too in my opinion. I don’t know how the events are going to pan out now, but we’ll see.

Mari
Mari
5 years ago

Swedish Television S V T (read Christer Björkman) not only ruin the winning the chance to go to to Melodifestivalen as winner of Svensktoppen Nästa but also the peoples (public) only chance to choose a contribution in Melodifestivalen! All this manage of Swedish public service S V T by Christer Björkman

Mitchelvaneijk
5 years ago

Damn people I thought Dutch people could complain a lot but you guys are worse.

Finsk
Finsk
5 years ago

I like more michael fannon’s voice and song more than smaijling swedes. such a shame, but well what is done is done

Anna
Anna
5 years ago

Christer Bjorkman manage the Swedish Melodifestivalen himself and it is a scandal that a public service television company as SVT let him. A big scandal also that Christer Bjorkman (as of course is the man behind this) not let the winner of Svensktoppen nasta participate in Melodifestivalen! But not suprise at all Christer Bjorkman is a dictator in Sweden’s Television (SVT)

Anna
Anna
5 years ago

Christer Bjorkman manage the Swedsih Melodifestivalen himaelf and it is a scandal that a public service television comany as SVT let him. A big scandal also that Christer Bjorkman (as of course is the man behind this not let the winner of Svensktoppen nasta participate in Melodifestivalen! but not supeise at all Christer Bjorkman is a dictator in Sweden’s Television (SVT)

Daniel
Daniel
5 years ago

I loved “Blame It All On You” by Laila Adele, sad she didn’t win but eh. Melfest looks like it will be amazing!

Paul D
Paul D
5 years ago

It’s Björkman… what did you expected?…

#MarioVision
#MarioVision
5 years ago

Well its really unfortunate 4 the winner Michael to get stripped of his victory by SVT…His song was my 3rd favorite among the 8 of the bunch…I can imagine how it must suck 4 him right now…Really pity.. But the one that was chosen by SVT to go to the 55th MelodiFestivalen 2016 was my 4th most liked of the 8… I would not mind if any of my 4 most liked songs won.. 1) *Sunny Side* 2) *Made A Mistake* 3) *Kommer Tid KommerRad* 4) *GooseBumps* And this hopeful scenario did happen so im happy 🙂 Congratulations to the… Read more »

MirkoJoshua
MirkoJoshua
5 years ago

Personally I prefer Goosebumps, but Smajling Swedes have to prove what they’re capable of at Melodifestivalen.

Adam
Adam
5 years ago

Of course Mr Bjorkman was the person responsible for this unfair intervention. Hes so shady and has throughout the years clearly showed his bias for certain artists/countries by giving them favorable conditions to do well, at the expense of what should be a true contest

mocosuburbian
mocosuburbian
5 years ago

All the better–Fannon’s song was pretty dull
Smajling Swedes (they need to change that name) seem like the type of band to send something really innovative to Melfest, I’m excited to see them pass

rip Laila Adele and Miss Winter though, I’ve been listening to both a lot over the past week or so

cheesecake
cheesecake
5 years ago

*sorry, just to be clear. in my previous comment I intended to say that I loved “Kommer tid, kommer rad”. The way I put it makes you think the opposite…

cheesecake
cheesecake
5 years ago

I listened to both songs and at first I thought “Goosebumps” was good, but when I listend to “Kommer tid, kommer rad” I just LOVED it.
Real scandal and a pity for Michael. I really think he would’ve had a better chance at Melfest.

jr esc nl
jr esc nl
5 years ago

this looks kinda unfair to me… i mean thats like one of the biggest things in the competition, how can one jury just say : nah we like this group better then u guess you just have to deal with it.