The new Eurovision season is already underway, but as 2015 draws to a close we’re taking a look back at the year that was, or to be more specific, what y’all watched. In the past 12 months, you’ve helped the wiwibloggs YouTube channel grow to in excess of 7,000 subscribers, while our view count is almost at 7.5 million. But what were the clips that caught your attention? And what was the most watched wiwibloggs video of 2015? Join us as we find out all this, along with the trends that shaped your viewing habits.
Continuing a trend from 2014, many countries opted to send their musical big guns into battle, including Australia. The land of Kylie and kangaroos set the Euro-sphere alight when they announced their participation in February, causing both outrage and delight within the fan community. But many fears were set aside once it was revealed that Guy Sebastian, one of the country’s best selling artists, would sing in Vienna. The strategy proved successful, securing them a top five finish. Russia and Italy also benefitted from sending big names. Polina Gagarina’s charm offensive helped propel the motherland to second place, while Il Volo mania swept the internet — our interview with the boys has over 230,000 views! Alas, not everyone managed to pull off the megastar approach — most notably Spain, who limped home in 21st with Edurne
Måns Zelmerlöw wins for Sweden
The Scandinavian nation seems to have Eurovision all sewn up. Even before we knew the identity of their singer, thousands of you followed the ins and outs of their Melodifestivalen selection. Unsurprisingly, Måns Zelmerlöw and “Heroes” became the bookies favourite as soon as they won the national final. He didn’t disappoint, delivering Sweden its sixth victory.
Conchita’s reign continues
She may have had to hand her Eurovision crown over to Måns, but Conchita is most definitely still the queen. Whether y’all like it or not — and a lot of you don’t — the bearded drag artist dominated the 2015 season. Multiple national final appearances acted as a warmup to the main event. Before she outshone her three co-presenters in front of an audience of millions, she graced the Eurovision red carpet. She oozed sartorial elegance, although Genealogy’s Essai felt that her outfit needed one more accessory — an Armenian flag!
For every Sweden, there is always a handful of countries that are completely baffled by the contest. Thankfully, in 2015 several got their acts together and zoomed up the left-hand side of the scoreboard. Georgia, Israel, Latvia, Belgium and Serbia all emerged from varying degrees of incompetency and bad luck to soar once more.
Two words – Trijntje Oosterhuis
The top 20 most viewed wiwibloggs videos of 2015
The top 20 most viewed wiwibloggs videos of 2015 are listed below in descending order. To watch a particular video, simply click on the title.
- Interview: Il Volo (Italy) on Eurovision 2015, “Grande Amore” and women 230,378
- Second rehearsal: Edurne (Spain) Eurovision 2015 198,752
- Second rehearsal: Måns Zelmerlöw (Sweden) Eurovision 2015 156,710
- Eurovision 2015 red carpet: Genealogy (Armenia) meet Conchita Wurst – interview 135,322
- Second rehearsal: Nadav Guedj (Israel) Eurovision 2015 126,665
- Second rehearsal: Loïc Nottet (Belgium) Eurovision 2015 117,158
- Second rehearsal: Monika Linkyt? & Vaidas Baumila (Lithuania) Eurovision 2015 97,052
- Second rehearsal: Polina Gagarina (Russia) Eurovision 2015 94,585
- Second rehearsal: Nina Sublatti (Georgia) Eurovision 2015 91,620
- Second rehearsal: Trijntje Oosterhuis (The Netherlands) Eurovision 2015 78,492
- Eurovision 2015 red carpet: Conchita Wurst interview 76,809
- Eric Saade to win Melodifestivalen 2015? First semi-final preview (Göteborg) 70,799
- Second rehearsal: Il Volo (Italy) Eurovision 2015 69,835
- Second rehearsal: Guy Sebastian (Australia) Eurovision 2015 68,276
- Eurovision 2015 red carpet: Nina Sublatti (Georgia) interview 65,243
- Eurovision 2015 red carpet: Loic Nottet (Belgium 2015) interview 56,310
- Second rehearsal: Bojana Stamenov (Serbia) Eurovision 2015 55,863
- Eurovision Press Conference: Italy Il Volo 55,133
- Second rehearsal: Maria Elena Kyriakou (Greece) Eurovision 2015 52,359
- Live: Polina Gagarina – A Million Voices (Russia Eurovision 2015) @ Vienna 12 Points 51,634
Thanks for watching! Here’s to a great 2016, packed with even more Euro-tastic brilliance.