On March 17 we asked our readers to name their favourites to win Semi-Final 1 of Eurovision 2016. Two months — and 39,116 votes later — some clear favourites have emerged among our readers. This comes with one massive caveat. The majority of votes in this poll were cast prior to the live dress rehearsals. Essentially our readers were rating the studio versions of these songs rather than the live performances. Armenia’s Iveta Mukuchyan won both of our polls for who had the best first rehearsal and best second rehearsal, but she only finished fourth here. In any event, this poll is still an interesting — if very rough — indicator of where allegiances lie.
Malta’s Ira Losco wants to “Walk on Water” at Eurovision — and she sashayed her way to the top of our poll, earning 4,799 votes, or more than 12% of all those cast.
Ira, who recently revealed that she is pregnant with her first child, had a difficult first rehearsal: her dynamic LED projection dress did not work, leaving her looking like she was wearing a box. But she hit the drawing board and re-emerged for her second rehearsal in an elegant gown that shows off her stunning décolletage and gives her the confidence to slay. Ira is most definitely back in top form. Singing for two suits her…
Just 48 votes behind her is Croatia’s Nina Kraljic. Her staging for “Lighthouse” hasn’t been received very positively in the press centre — the dress reveal sees her looking like a Las Vegas show girl dressed as a chicken fighting a wind machine — but the beauty of her song may very well see her through anyway. She earned 4,751 votes, or around 12%.
— wiwibloggs (@wiwibloggs) May 6, 2016
Third place in our poll goes to Eurovision 2016 favourite Sergey Lazarev. The “You Are The Only One” singer finished with 4,115 votes, or around 11%. He has gotten stronger and stronger as the week has progressed and remains in pole position with the bookies and many Eurovision insiders.
Results: Who should win the first semi-final of Eurovision 2016?
- Malta: Ira Losco “Walk On Water” 12.27% (4,799 votes)
- Croatia: Nina Kraljic “Lighthouse” 12.15% (4,751 votes)
- Russia: Sergey Lazarev “You Are The Only One” 10.52% (4,115 votes)
- Armenia: Iveta Mukuchyan “LoveWave” 9.43% (3,688 votes)
- Bosnia & Herzegovina: Dalal & Deen feat. Ana Rucner and Jala “Ljubav Je” 7.94% (3,105 votes)
- Iceland: Greta Salóme “Hear Them Calling” 6.83% (2,671 votes)
- Hungary: Freddie “Pioneer” 5.9% (2,307 votes)
- Austria: Zoë “Loin d’ici” 5.39% (2,110 votes)
- Cyprus: Minus One “Alter Ego” 5% (1,955 votes)
- Azerbaijan: Samra “Miracle” 4.71% (1,842 votes)
- Czech Republic: Gabriela Guncíková “I Stand” 4.67% (1,825 votes)
- Estonia: Jüri Pootsmann “Play” 4.61% (1,805 votes)
- Netherlands: Douwe Bob “Slow Down” 3.92% (1,534 votes)
- Greece: Argo “Utopian Land” 2.22% (869 votes)
- Finland: Sandhja “Sing It Away” 1.91% (747 votes)
- Moldova: Lidia Isac “Falling Stars” 1.21% (474 votes)
- San Marino: Serhat “I Didn’t Know” 0.81% (317 votes)
- Montenegro: Highway “The Real Thing” 0.51% (202 votes)
Total Votes: 39,116