We like selfies, but we love groupies. And Eurovision 2016 gave us seven groups — that’s bands and duos, y’all — for us to saddle up to with our cameras.
Unfortunately they didn’t have much luck at Eurovision this year. Georgia’s Nika Kocharov and the Young Georgian Lolitaz finished highest among the groups — 20th in the grand final — followed by Cyprus’ Minus One (21st) and the U.K.’s Joe & Jake (24th).
But at least they were in the finals. All the other groups — from Bosnia & Herzegovina, Denmark, Greece and Montenegro — crashed out in the semis.
Ahead of the semis we asked you guys to vote for your favourite duo/or group. After counting a total of 2,786 votes, we can now reveal that Cyprus has won the day with their song “Alter Ego”. Their pop/rock fusion — combined with their fierce looks — catapulted them to victory with 888 votes.
Always charming and never lacking in fun, they charmed us at every turn — on the red carpet, in the press centre and backstage. This is a group that loves what they do — and we love them for it!
Second place in the best duo/group poll went to the handsome lads from the United Kingdom.
Joe and Jake had us creaming our pants with their natural chemistry and down-to-earth realness.
“You’re Not Alone” proved to be powerful and uplifting on the stage. No matter that they finished in the bottom five — we still love them!
The bronze medal for the best duo/group poll goes to the exuberant and fun Deen & Dalal ft. Ana Rucner & Jala from Bosnia & Herzegovina.
The group slayed their performances of their song “Ljubav Je” and the song really resonated with our readers.
Although their message on migration and their visuals about refugees didn’t always translate, it’s still a powerful performance we’re enjoying on repeat watch.
RESULTS: BEST DUO/GROUP AT EUROVISION 2016
- Cyprus: Minus One with “Alter Ego” (888 votes, 31.87%)
- United Kingdom: Joe & Jake with “You’re Not Alone” (545 votes, 19.56%)
- Bosnia & Herzegovina: Deen & Dalal ft. Ana Rucner & Jala with “Ljubav Je” (470 votes, 16.87%)
- Denmark: Lighthouse X with “Soldier Of Love” (407 votes, 14.61%)
- Greece: Argo with “Utopian Land” (278 votes, 9.98%)
- Georgia: Nika Kocharov & Young Georgia Lolitaz with “Midnight Gold” (128 votes, 4.59%)
- Montenegro: Highway with “The Real Thing” (70 votes, 2.51%)