In his Eurovision 2017 song “My Friend” he works two registers and two languages. And in his official music video Croatia’s Jacques Houdek keeps up the game of twos, taking on two very different roles — stylish Croatian crooner in leather gloves and Italian opera virtuoso wearing spectacles.

The song’s inspirational message — living every moment as if it’s a miracle — manifests through the video’s sweeping visuals, which include a sunlit field and stunning views from a mountaintop.

But, more importantly, it also comes through in a series of vignettes about personal perseverance. The various characters — including a hipster, a man driving a car, an adorable puppy and a dancer — all have back stories and surprising attributes that only emerge as the video progresses, forcing you to re-think your assumptions about people and things.

We won’t give away the surprises, so watch the video — and watch carefully.

Jacques is thrilled that the video is finally here. Writing on Facebook he said: “‘My friend’ official video is out!”

“Thank you all for participating and helping out in the realization of this video, especially the director Katja Restovic, the filming executive Josip Ruzic (Rose-Art videoproduction) and their team.”

This song doesn’t fit neatly into any box, as it melds and mixes elements from many genres and styles. In many ways it’s a song of twos: two languages (English and Italian), two styles (torch song and operatic ballad) and two halves (a dreamy and atmospheric first half which leads to a forceful second half).

Unlike any other song this year, “My Friend” sounds like a duet between a talented motivational singer and an opera star — except Jacques provides both voices, switching quickly between styles in what is surely a difficult vocal feat.

Thematically the song is all about seizing the day and making the most out of your life right now. “There are only two ways to live your life,” he intones in the opening. “One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything’s a miracle.”

ABOUT JACQUES HOUDEK

Many diehard Eurovision fans will recognise Jacques from back in the day, when he competed in Dora — the old Croatian national selection for Eurovision. His debut in the competition was back in 2002 with his song “Carolija”, which placed thirteenth at the time. But the silver lining was that it launched his long and enduring career in Croatia.

Since then he has signed to Croatia Records and produced thirteen albums. And now he sits pretty in the big red chair on The Voice of Croatia, where he led Croatia’s artist for Eurovision 2016 Nina Kraljic to victory. It’s a small world!

Are you excited to see Jacques Houdek at Eurovision 2017? Can he take Croatia to the final for the second year in a row? Let us know in the comments section below or via our new wiwibloggs app – now available on the App Store and Google Play.

Buy the Jacques Houdek t-shirt

Buy the Jacques Houdek phone case

CLICK HERE FOR MORE CROATIA EUROVISION NEWS

Kris
Kris

I’ll totally vote for you @Purple Mask. 🙂

Don’t send it from UK though cause I vote through a UK number. 😐

4 years ago

This is awesome love this song #bemyfriend

4 years ago

Thanks Nicky. It’s fine, Kris and “Rigged” have been quite sweet to me actually. 🙂
It’s no secret that I’m having problems with my career right now. It saddens me too. I like Jacques Houdek’s song because in spite of the Disney-esque cheese, it’s message is that you can do anything and “find your way” with enough support. Friendship matters in this world, so thank you everyone on Wiwibloggs who has become “my friend.” One day I hope to be sending a song for Eurovision (assuming it survives this year’s politics). x

Kris
Kris

@nicky
“People” aren’t asking Purple Mask about their career!! Their friends(considering I’m thought of as one 😐 ) are asking them about the career. And I’m sure Purple isn’t offended by that “People” asking questions or else they would have asked “People” to stop talking. I hope I’m right though and hope you understand if “People” had malicious intentions or not.

stan
stan

thank you Nicky!

nicky
nicky
4 years ago

Sorry for my second comment, but about ENDI, yes he is gorgeous and he is Romani 100%. I don’t even care what he knows about his DNA, he has Romani blood surely. Not all Romani look so good, but he is the stereotype.

nicky
nicky
4 years ago

Why are you asking Purple Mask about his career? Is his privacy, users are not supposed to be so exposed.
I’ve liked Croatia from the beginning, is not the first time opera is in esc and all the hate he’s got is because people think he is homophobe. Relax, people like Jacques are not your enemy (I don’t even care what he said) he is not a bad person, just give him fair chances!

Thanks Rigged! ENDI (the dancer in the video)… just WOW. 🙂
As for Jacques’ song – it would be a huge challenge to sing it live. I would actually love to try singing it myself one day (with permission of course). x

riggedObjectivoEurovision
riggedObjectivoEurovision

@Purple
Looks like someone will spend their day drooling over someone. 😛

Great that you got to speak to the artists.Maybe they can help with PR.
Happy to see you have a good time bud!!

Thank you nicky. 🙂

4 years ago

@Kris: Levina is a lovely person, indeed. No-one around me sang “Contigo,” and I was about 4 rows from the front standing up. Lucie got a very warm reception. Jana was singing, but the vocal on the track was very loud.
You know i’m not in the position to reveal any music publicly at the moment. If/when that changes, i’ll let Wiwibloggs know. x

Kris
Kris

@Purple Mask
Now I’m sad I wasn’t there. Did Levina make you fall in love with her too like Willie? He is salivating during his entire interview with her. His partner wouldn’t be very pleased. 😛

And no one sang ‘Contigo’ when Manel came to perform? How was the reaction to Lucie? And was Jana singing at all?

You keep saying you’re a musician but don’t send the link of a single song. 😐

nicky
nicky

@ Purple Mask

I guess the young man you are talking about is ENDI.

nicky
nicky
4 years ago

@Stan – Does anyone know why TVR didn’t give a wild card to Ovidiu?

Ovidiu Anton refused the wild card, he said that he doesn’t want to hear about Eurovision ever again.

Stan
Stan

@anonymous

You’re right, it’s not… I haven’t got a clue what it is… It’s annoying, irritating… It’s a joke entry without humour… It’s the olympic spirit: competing is more important than victory. Does anyone know why TVR didn’t give a wild card to Ovidiu? Is he too good?

4 years ago

So the dancer is Romani… but what is the story behind him, and who is he? @anonymous91: Haha, I was “singing along” with Alex as he instructed, but my attempts at actual yodeling were unsuccessful. 😀 They are amazing; I really enjoy that song. @Rigged: I spoke with Aleksander from Jowst (Norway), and to Levina (Germany). They are both really nice people. I’m a musician, so my favourite performances were either those with the amazing vocals (Denmark, Poland, Conchita) or those with exceptional musicality (Finland, Italy, France). Emotionally, I probably enjoyed Malta the most for different personal reasons – the… Read more »

anonymous91
anonymous91

@Purple Mask

and were you yodelling along with Ilinca and Alex

but i am so happy to hear you had a great time 🙂

riggedObjectivoEurovision
riggedObjectivoEurovision

@Purple
Looks like you had some good fun. 😀
You didn’t meet William.Now that’s a shame 🙁
Did you speak to any of the Artists? Who was your favourite and which performance left you wanting?

real@winner
4 years ago

This is one of the too many songs this year, which are competing for the last place in their semi.

anonymous91
anonymous91

@Mark

nice ranking you’ve got, yeah Imri has indeed got a masterpiece of a song, a fun song also without any love story or political message 🙂

and you can vote from Ireland if you want

Mark
Mark

My top 10 from U.K is :

1 ) Romania – Yodel it Europe – amazing , great song !
2 ) Israel – Fantastic song 🙂 Masterpiece
3 ) Hungary
4 ) Sweeden
5 ) Greece
6 ) Italy
7 ) Bulgaria
8 ) Armenia
9) Russia
10) Belgium

And the winner of 2017 is ROMANIA 12 points 🙂 Good Luck Yodel it Romania !

catarabi
catarabi

@ TwistedFrench
When have you met him?

TwistedFrench
TwistedFrench
4 years ago

The guy is a diva, divas don’t need friends, they are self-sufficient

anonymous91
anonymous91

@Stan

Yodel It isn’t a generic pop song, sorry to disagree with you on that

M_K
M_K
4 years ago

Isn’t it ironic how a song whose lyrics say “I pray you’ll see the light and find your way” is among those that receive the most hate this year?

catarabi
catarabi
4 years ago

This video is so good, the little boy that is looking at the violin is romani (like Papai Joci from Hungary), and also the young man that wants to do ballet is also romani (and doing ballet as a man, is not often in his family). The dog I guess is a rescue dog, and how can a dog miss from a video about friendship?

Kris
Kris

@Carlos

Oh!! you are right about the puppy and the young girl!! I was too busy enjoying the puppy’s cuteness to notice.I’m sorry!! 🙁

Dancing guy is doing contemporary dance and they keep showing him looking at a mirror and his hands!! And the violin guy is somehow linked with the small boy whom he is teaching in the video!! Can’t figure it out still

TwistedFrench
TwistedFrench

Definitely don’t want to be your friend, Jacques! It’s a big NO

Andreea
Andreea
4 years ago

Last year Croatia’s song was a masterpiece, Nina Cralji? has a unique voice. Thie year we have a good voice but a weird song. This whole double personality thing gets a little confusing, and…annoying I must say… It’s unique all right, but not in the good way…. Croatia will stay in the semi.

Carlös
Carlös
4 years ago

@Kris….. I might be wrong but. As William states each character has back story revealed… i think that
Puppy – Has 3 legs, Young Girl – Has Downs Syndrome, Dancing Guy – Is a ballet dancer (?), and the violin and cello guys are going to be on stage at esc.

mocosuburbian
mocosuburbian
4 years ago

i’m pretending croatia and romania don’t exist this year :/
such a cringeworthy + pretentious song
no video could possibly redeem

4 years ago

@Kris: Great questions. I would like to know that as well! 🙂 @Rigged: Hello my friend! 🙂 The 10th LEP was awesome! I cried for Finland, I danced for Italy, I sang with Malta and I screamed for Ukraine and Ruslana. But my dream highlight was Conchita – I was so happy to finally see and hear her live! On the Wiwibloggs side, I got to meet Deban for the first time (OMG), and Bernardo and Angus too. I saw William and Chris but they each looked soo busy; I wasn’t going to interrupt them. All of them are beautiful… Read more »

Kris
Kris
4 years ago

Its a nice video!! But I couldn’t understand a few of the stories!! It’d be nice if someone could tell me!!

What’s the back story of the guy playing the violin, the puppy , the dancing guy and the playing girl?

riggedObjectivoEurovision
riggedObjectivoEurovision

@Purple

Upto his old ways!! Asking who the ugly guy is …..oh that’s not him!! 😛

Anyway how was the 10th LEP?

4 years ago

Funny: Opera singers I know don’t usually wear glasses! (Haha!)…
This is a great video. Does anyone know who the dancer is?

My question for Jacques is a musical one. Obviously the vocal parts do overlap at several points in the song. Surely he can’t sing both lines at the same time at those points, so how will this practical problem be dealt with for the live performance?

Spirit of 76
Spirit of 76
4 years ago

Why on earth do people care what he thinks of gays. As irrelevant as can get, and he can think whatever he likes about them!

Johnny
Johnny
4 years ago

This will surprise so much people in Kiev!!! Can not wait to see the reaction!

The Anders
The Anders
4 years ago

The video doesn’t make anything better or worse. I still think it’s an absolutely awful song. The use of cheesy clichés, combined with the grotesque mix of pop and operatic singing in Italian, make it very tiresome. And citing Albert Einstein in the intro is very pretentious to say the least.

Dead last on my list for this year.

As I lay me down
As I lay me down
4 years ago

Terrible. Last place in the semifinal.

Christiaan
Christiaan
4 years ago

So if i put my glasses on i’m will become a Italian opera singer, cool 🙂

Just joking,
Great song, Great video

#LetsDoThis Fan
4 years ago

Together with Malta and Georgia, Croatia is my least favourite this year. I do my best to like it… but after listening multiple times I now dislike it even more.

AngieP
AngieP
4 years ago

Ok, that was weird! I didn’t quite understand what’s happening!

M_K
M_K
4 years ago

I am really curious about the all-male Victor/Victoria performance that we can expect in Kyiv. And can be either REALLY tacky or… well, on second thought I actually cannot imagine it not being tacky. I really hope that you’re gonna surprise me, Croatia! 🙂

PP
PP
4 years ago

God-Emperor Salvador can get best result for Portugal to be in TOP 5, but don t have chance to be in TOP 3. Top 3 in final 1.Sweden 2.Belgium 3.Italy Why he don t have chance, first because he don t won televote in his own country in final and chance to do that at Eurovision is so small. How juries will react to his song. If they like song maybe TOP 5 with juries but not in TOP 3 (TOP 3 with juries in juries be Belgium, Sweden, Denmark) if they thinks that song is oldfashion style of music… Read more »

KennyESC
KennyESC
4 years ago

Jacques please qualify, I want to vote for you in final!!

Btw some Gay Eurofans are so dumb stupid, they ruin ESC. They forgived Måns just because he is sexy, when they don’t forgive Jacques becaue he isn’t. You are the ruin of the show, stupid.

Jacques is my winner!! ???? #zagreb2018

God-Emperor
God-Emperor

Off topic:

And the list just keeps growing. Look at what Mr. Alexander Rybak just said about Amar pelos Dois. https://www.facebook.com/alexanderrybak

We sure have a winner. Clearly in a different league than the rest of the competition. PORTUGAL 2018!!

M_K
M_K
4 years ago

While I don’t really like the song (it’s simply not my taste), I have respect for the effort that is behind it.

TJ
TJ
4 years ago

The cuts are way too fast, there are too many different stories in the video and it’s too cheesy and stereotypical.

Stan
Stan

@Zafir
Some people are also comparing this to Belgium 2014… Do you remember that one? Jacques has one of the few songs that stand out in semi 2. He won’t win, but i’m quite sure he’ll qualify. My qualifiers from semi 2: Israel, Bulgaria, Austria, Croatia and Norway. All others are generic and I don’t really care which ones make it….

zafir
zafir

@Stan
Italy 2015 and Croatia 2017 can t compare. Italy song is so much better (Croatia song is sound like mix of many song from movies Frozen, Pearl Harbour plus Tonci Huljic songs for Croatia Eurovision 1995 and 2001 and his songs for female instrumental band Bond) plus Jacques don t have charisma of 3 singers from Il Volo . Jacques have good voice but he is so pretencious for me (look and listen me, I m pop version of Pavarotti) , and I think same feeling will have viewers and juries members.