Eurovision 2017 is over — and with it all the controversy surrounding Russia’s banned singer Julia Samoylova. But now that the dust has settled, we’re keen to rewind and find out where you would have ranked her song “Flame Is Burning” in Semi-Final 2 and the grand final.
This is obviously difficult. During Semi-Final 2 you saw 18 live performances. All we have of Julia is a re-mastered studio cut performed inside a different arena. Accepting that we aren’t comparing like-for-like, it’s still an interesting exercise.
Why you ask? Because recently I was filming Eurovision 2017 reaction videos with my sister Suzanne, who was visiting from the United States.
She has very little knowledge of Eurovision (she doesn’t have LOGO, which airs the show in America) and she freely admits that she knows nothing of the War in Donbass, Ukraine-Russia relations or the controversy that engufled this year’s contest. It all means that she can judge the song more neutrally than the vast majority of Eurofans.
Her reaction surprised me. “I liked her — I really, really liked her,” she says, before saying she’d put the song in her Top 7.
“Flame Is Burning” — American woman reacts
But where would you rank the song?
Let’s kick this off with a poll on Semi-Final 2. Russia has always advanced from the semi-final, owing partly to the strength of its diaspora vote. Given that, Julia stood a good chance of getting through.
That would have knocked Denmark — the tenth-place qualifier — out of the final. Below you can see the actual results of the semi. Then vote in our poll and let us know what position you’d have ranked Russia.
Semi-Final 2 results
- Bulgaria: Kristian Kostov – “Beautiful Mess” (403 points)
- Hungary: Joci Pápai – “Origo” (231 points)
- Israel: IMRI – “I Feel Alive” (207 points)
- Netherlands: OG3NE – “Lights and Shadows” (200 points)
- Norway: JOWST – “Grab the Moment” (189 points)
- Romania: Ilinca ft.Alex Florea – “Yodel It!” (174 points)
- Austria: Nathan Trent – “Running on Air” (147 points)
- Croatia: Jacques Houdek – “My Friend” (141 points)
- Belarus: Naviband – “Story of My Life” (110 points)
- Denmark: Anja – “Where I Am” (101 points)
- Serbia: Tijana Bogicevic – “In Too Deep” (98 points)
- Switzerland: Timebelle – “Apollo” (97 points)
- Ireland: Brendan Murray – “Dying to Try” (86 points)
- Estonia: Koit Toome and Laura – “Verona” (85 points)
- FYR Macedonia: Jana Burceska – “Dance Alone” (69 points)
- Malta: Claudia Faniello – “Breathlessly” (55 points)
- Lithuania: Fusedmarc – “Rain of Revolution” (42 points)
- San Marino: Valentina Monetta and Jimmie Wilson – “Spirit of the Night” (1 points)
Where would you rank Russia in Semi-Final 2?[polldaddy poll=”9761429″]
Now let’s take a look at the grand final.
If Russia had advanced — and Denmark had not — where would you rank “Flame Is Burning” in the mix of songs?
You can review the actual grand final results below to help you make your decision.