After months of speculation, endless rumours and plenty of hype, SVT has finally revealed the list of 28 acts who will fight for the right to sing at Eurovision 2018.
Yes, Melodifestivalen — Europe’s favourite national final — is gearing up for its 58th edition. And Christer Björkman thinks there’s a Eurovision winner in there. That winner might come from the list of returnees and big names, including Mariette — the bookies’ favourite to win, who placed fourth last year and third in 2015. Benjamin Ingrosso is also riding high from his fifth place finish last year. We also have Samir & Viktor (two-time finalists) and Méndez (a former runner-up) competing for the third time. Then there are former Mello winners Jessica Andersson and Kikki Danielsson who will make their seventh and tenth appearances respectively. Together they will have clocked 17 appearances by the spring!
But some exciting new faces (and voices) will give those veterans a run for their money. Norwegian DJ Kamferdrops and Sweden’s 2016 Idol Liamoo are making waves with the bookies. Mariette faces stiff competition from Dotter, the songwriter behind Mariette’s earlier entry “A Million Years”. And of course Polish star Margaret is hoping to show that nothing can cool down her cabana.
You’ll have to wait to hear their songs, but surely you’re already feeling a bit of the Melfest fire? Let us know which acts you are most excited for by voting in our poll at the end of this post. You can vote for as many acts as you’d like, but you can only vote one time, so make it count. Then sound off in our comments section.
Melodifestivalen 2018: Preview of all 28 acts
Melodifestivalen 2018 statistics (via SVT)
- A total of 90 songwriters.
- Of the 90 songwriters, 52 are debutants and 38 have participated at least once before.
- The 90 songwriters include 22 women and 68 men.
- Of the 28 contributions, 19 contributions include female songwriters.
- SVT received 2,771 entries to the competition.
- Contestants who have at least one female songwriter: 68%.
- Nine songwriters have more than one contribution. Two of the nine are women.
- Thomas G:son has the most contributions with 4.
- New songwriters as a percentage: 58%
- 12 contributions have Swedish lyrics.
- 14 pure girl acts.
- 15 pure guy acts.
- A total of 37 artists are participating, and they include 14 women and 23 men.
- 23 artists are debuting at Melodifestivalen.
- 14 artists have previously participated in Melodifestivalen.
Melodifestivalen 2018 Semi-Finals
Deltävling 1 – Karlstad
- Renaida with “All the Feels”
- Benjamin Ingrosso with “Dance You Off”
- Edward Blom with “Livet på en pinne”
- John Lundvik with “My Turn”
- Kikki Danielsson with “Osby Tennessee”
- Sigrid Bernson with “Patrick Swayze”
- Kamferdrops with “Solen lever kvar hos dig”
Deltävling 2 – Gothenburg
- Ida Redig with “Allting som vi sa”
- Jonas Gardell with “Det finns en väg”
- Margaret with “In My Cabana”
- Liamoo with “Last Breath”
- Samir & Viktor with “Shuffla”
- Mimi Werner with “Songburning”
- Stiko Per Larsson with “Titta vi flyger”
Deltävling 3 – Malmö
- Martin Almgren with “A Bitter Lullaby”
- Dotter with “Cry”
- Moncho with “Cuba Libre”
- Méndez with “Everyday”
- Kalle Moraeus and Orsa Spelmän with “Min dröm”
- Jessica Andersson with “Party Voice”
- Barbi Escobar with “Stark”
Deltävling 4 – Örnsköldsvik
- Felicia Olsson with “Break that Chain”
- Felix Sandman with “Every Single Day”
- Mariette with “For You”
- Rolandz with “Fuldans”
- Emmi Christensson with “Icarus”
- Elias Abbas with “Mitt paradis”
- Olivia with “Never Learn”
EUROVISION 2018 – ALBANIA – Inis Neziri ( PIEDESTA)
Margaret won’t win…as I feel a non-Swede would ever win Melodifestivalen. Sweden only gets behind their own! The winner will be Swedish and the stage props will be from Ikea as has always been the way.
Don’t get me wrong, I like be Sweden but this is probably a fact.
I’m very excited for Margaret and Swedish Idol winner LIAMOO.
Uh, no one really, but if I have to pick some I’d say:
– Margaret (loved her past music, not so much her most recent album, but I’m still perched);
– Stiko Per Larsson (amazing songwriter);
– Samir & Viktor (just to see them embarrass themselves and come last again).
I think she’ll manage to represent Sweden at Eurovision in her third attempt!
Why does Margaret take part? She is Polish, not Swedish!
Maybe because Margaret wants to look for new fans. 🙂
I hope Liam gets to represent us! He has our support
This marks G:son’s 51st entry to Melodifestivalen. Bobby Ljunggren is second with 47. Fredrik Kempe is far behind with 31 entries, although 4 of those are winners.
Oh, look, Marg is leading the poll…surprise, surprise. Same thing last year with Loreen…guess how that turned out. Predictable poll. Dotter, Mariette, Kamferdrops…those are who I’m cheering for.
I voted for Mariette. But I’m also excited for Margaret, Ida Redig and Dotter.
I’m getting more and more excited for Dotter. Think she could do it. Also excited for Liamoo and Mariette. Sounds like great songs!
I don’t know most of them, the ones that I know I’m not interested…so I’ll wait…
Ha Ha Ha, Margaret is winning. Poland, Poland, Poland, this is why I love you, and this is why Christer Björkman loves you. Congratulations from a country much Eastern than you.
Alsou is singing right now for Football World Cup 2018 Russia.
It’s drawing lots.
A new day, a new article about Sweden! Good job, swedibloggs.com!
Sooo you got any other news worthy thing you wanna share with us?
Mariette for ESC 2018 <3 <3
That would be great! 😀
Here is the link. Let’s do thiss!!!
Hello everyone. This is Inshara, a friend of mine from my school. She always had the dream to perform live infront of a big audience. She finally got the opportunity, since she submitted a cover of a song, into 1 in 360, the San Marinese National selectio, which will select the San Marinese entrant for the Eurovision song contest 2018 in Lisbon, Portugal. It would be so nice of you to just visit the link and give a heart, in order to support her. Let’s make her dream come true. Thank you already for all your support. She needs 100… Read more »
Margaret is love, Margaret is life.
Polish idiots think she’s a traitor (xDDD) for participating in Melodifestivalen, so it’s a moral imperative to support her.
We support her what are you talking about