It’s one of the most anticipated national finals of the season. Now Swedish broadcaster SVT has revealed the running order of the four semi-finals in Melodifestivalen 2018.
The announcement was made today in a live stream on SVT’s Facebook page. Mello boss Christer Björkman revealed the positions to an eager online audience.
The first act we’ll see on stage in Karlstad will be Let’s Dance star, Sigrid Bernson. That first semi-final will be closed by Melfest 2017 veteran, Benjamin Ingrosso.
Samir & Viktor return as the opening act of the second semi-final, with LIAMOO closing. We’re sure to get a lively end to the third semi-final too, with Mendez taking the final spot.
And the last act to take to the Melfest stage will be Mariette. She closes the fourth semi-final in Örnsköldsvik with her song, “For You”.
It’s generally thought that the opening and closing positions in each semi are given to two of the strongest songs, so today’s reveal can offer clues to the songs likely to make the grand final or andra chansen.
While fans have various theories about the power and potential of performing last, it is no guarantee of going direkt till final. Last year only Nano and Benjamin Ingrosso qualified for the final after performing in the last slot in their semis. FO&O and Loreen made it to andra chansen, but only the boy band won a place in the final.
Much effort goes into determining the order of the songs. Each show contains songs in a mix of genres and languages, and thought is given to ensuring the overall song order creates an entertaining television show.
Melodifestivalen 2018 running order
Semi-final 1:Karlstad (3 February)
- Sigrid Bernson – “Patrick Swayze”
- John Lundvik – “My Turn”
- Renaida – “All the Feels”
- Edward Blom – “Livet på en pinne”
- Kikki Danielsson – “Osby Tennessee”
- Kamferdrops – “Solen lever kvar hos dig”
- Benjamin Ingrosso – “Dance You Off”
Semi-final 2: Gothenburg (10 February)
- Samir & Viktor – “Shuffla”
- Ida Redig – “Allting som vi sa”
- Jonas Gardell – “Det finns en väg”
- Margaret – “In My Cabana”
- Stiko Per Larsson – “Titta vi flyger”
- Mimi Werner – “Songburning”
- LIAMOO – “Last Breath”
Semi-final 3: Malmö (17 February)
- Martin Almgren – “A Bitter Lullaby”
- Barbi Escobar – “Stark”
- Moncho – “Cuba Libre”
- Jessica Andersson – “Party Voice”
- Kalle Moraeus & Orsa Spelmän – “Min dröm”
- Dotter – “Cry”
- Méndez – “Everyday”
Semi-final 4: Örnsköldsvik (24 February 2018)
- Emmi Christensson – “Icarus”
- Elias Abbas – “Mitt paradis”
- Felicia Olsson – “Break That Chain”
- Rolandz – “Fuldans”
- Olivia Eliasson – “Never Learn”
- Felix Sandman – “Every Single Day”
- Mariette – “For You”
What do you think of the Melfest 2018 running order? Are you surprised by any of the placings? Share your thoughts below!