It’s the Nordic country that traditionally punches well above its weight at Eurovision. But for the last three contests, despite regularly being fan favourites, Iceland has failed to make it past the semi-finals.
However, the island’s fortunes could be about to change. This evening, broadcaster RÚV revealed the 12 competing acts and songs in Söngvakeppnin 2018 — Iceland’s national selection for Eurovision.
Like in 2017, the songs have been released in both Icelandic and English. The entries will be performed in Icelandic at the semi-finals, however, the songs that make it to the final must be performed in their intended language for Lisbon, so we can expect to hear some switches to English.
Söngvakeppnin 2018: The Semi-Finalists
- Aron Hannes – Golddigger/Gold Digger
- Áttan – Hér með þér/Here for you
- Ari Ólafsson – Heim/Our Choice
- Fókus hópurinn – Aldrei gefast upp/Battleline
- Dagur Sigurðarson – Í stormi/Saviour
- Heimilistónar – Kúst og fæjó
- Stefanía Svavarsdottir, Agnes Marinósdóttir, Regína Lilja Magnúsdóttir – Svaka stuð/Heart Attack
- Þórunn Antonía – Ég mun skína/Shine
- Guðmundur Þórarinsson – Litir/Colours
- Þórir Geir Guðmundsson, Gyða Margrét Kristjánsdóttir – Brosa/With You
- Tómas Helgi Wehmeier, Sólborg Guðbrandsdóttir – Ég og þú/Think It Through
- Rakel Pálsdóttir – Óskin mín/My Wish
You can listen to the songs here.
The 2018 line-up includes some familiar faces.
Aron Hannes competed last year with the song “Tonight”. Rakel Pálsdóttir was one half of the duo that performed last year’s “Again” and was also a part of the band Hinemoa that competed in 2015 with “Þú leitar líka að mér”.
Stefanía Svavarsdóttir competed in Söngvakeppnin 2013 along with Jógvan Hansen with “Til þín” and in 2015 as a soloist with “Augnablik”, both written by Sveinn Rúnar Sigurðsson, who composed Iceland’s entries in 2004 and 2007. Sveinn Rúnar is also back this year, as he is the composer of “Gold Digger” sung by Aron Hannes.
Six songs will compete in each of the semi-finals, held on February 10 and February 17.
From there the top three from each semi will progress to the grand final on March 3.
What do you think of the contestants? What do you think of the songs? Tell us in the comments below.