Hungary’s national selection A Dal kicked off tonight, with six acts qualifying for the semi-finals. Leander Kills, Zsolt Süle, Viktor Király, Ceasefire X, Gabi Knoll and Tamás Vastag will be heading to the semi-finals in February.
The first five qualifiers were determined by a combination of televote and an expert jury made up of actress Judit Schell, Magna Cum Laude lead singer Misi Mezo, award-winning musician Miklós Both and the music legend Károly Frenreisz.
This vote was tied in first place by Leander Kills and Zsolt Süle who each scored 44 points. Next was The Voice USA star Viktor Király, who followed closely with 43 points. Király was also the public favourite and topped the televote.
In fourth place was Ceasefire X who scored 41 points, followed by Gabi Knoll in fifth place with 40 points.
The sixth qualifier was selected by a second round of public voting. The public didn’t agree with the results of the first round — the sixth spot went to Tamás Vastag who had previously placed seventh-equal in the first round.
The qualification of Zsolt Süle came as a surprise to some viewers. Going into the episode, he was not considered a favourite, however his gentle song “Zöld a május” drew favourable comparisons to “Amar pelos dois”. It was the combined favourite of the jury, but also made the televote top six.
The qualifiers will go on to compete in the semi-finals, which start in early February. They’ll be joined by the qualifiers from the other two heats, which will take place in coming weeks.
A Dal 2018 – heat 1 qualifiers
- Leander Kills – “Nem szól harang” (44 points)
- Zsolt Süle – “Zöld a május” (44 points)
- Viktor Király – “Budapest Girl” (43 points)
- Ceasefire X – “Satellites” (41 points)
- Gabi Knoll – “Nobody to Die For” (40 points)
- Tamás Vastag – “Ne hagyj reményt” (36 points)
A Dal 2018 – heat 1 eliminated acts
- Noémo – “Levegot!” (39 points)
- Living Room – “Kirakat élet” (36 points)
- Fourtissimo feat. Markanera – “Kisnyuszi a kalapban” (33 points)
- Patikadomb – “Jó szelet!” (33 points)
Wiwibloggs readers didn’t agree with all of Hungary’s favourite We asked wiwibloggs readers who their favourite acts in A Dal 2018 were. Of the acts competing in the first semi-final, Gabi Knoll was the favourite. Viktor Király was second favourite, followed by Ceasefire X and Leander Kills. Wiwi readers were less impressed with Tamás Vastag and Zsolt Süle, who languished near the bottom of the poll results.
- Gabi Knoll – “Nobody to Die For” 6.28% (118 votes)
- Noémo – “Levegot!” 5.96% (112 votes)
- Fourtissimo – “Kisnyuszi a kalapban” 3.78% (71 votes)
- Viktor Király – “Budapest Girl” 3.3% (62 votes)
- Ceasefire X – “Satellites” 2.87% (54 votes)
- Leander Kills – “Nem szól harang” 2.87% (54 votes)
- Living Room – “Kirakat élet” 1.81% (34 votes)
- Tamás Vastag – “Ne hagyj reményt” 1.12% (21 votes)
- Zsolt Süle – “Zöld a május” 1.06% (20 votes)
- Patikadomb – “Jó szelet!” 0.96% (18 votes)
Since the launch of A Dal in 2012, the show’s winners have consistently qualified for the Eurovision grand final. The most successful entries have been ByeAlex, whose sweet hipster ballad “Kedvesem (Zoohacker Remix)” placed 10th in 2013, András Kállay-Saunders, whose edgy dubstep exploration of domestic violence “Running” placed fifth in 2014, and Joci Pápai whose mysterious “Origo” placed eight last year.
What do you think? Is there a potential A Dal winner amongst these acts? Share your thoughts below!