The rumours for Melodifestivalen 2019 continue. The next names to emerge are three singers who are said to be in final negotiations for a place in the Swedish national final. Schlager prince Magnus Carlsson, Polish popstress Margaret and Mello legend Ann-Louise Hanson are reportedly in talks with SVT.
Magnus has competed in Melodifestivalen eight times before. Three times with the dansband Barbados, twice with the nu-disco group Alcazar and thrice as a solo artist. Most recently he competed at Melfest 2015 with “Möt mig i Gamla Stan”, which placed ninth in the grand final.
Swedish newspaper Aftonbladet reports that both Magnus and SVT are keen for him to make a ninth Mello appearance, however this is dependent on him finding the right song.
The Polish popstress made her Melfest debut earlier this year with “In My Cabana”. The fruity track made it to the grand final (via andra chansen) where it placed seventh.
Now it seems that a return offer is on the table, but Margaret is yet to accept it. Aftonbladet’s source says, “She was a great success last year, despite the fact that SVT initially did not believe in having a foreign artist. Now it depends more on whether she feels that Melodifestivalen is the right way to go for another year.”
Schlager legend Ann-Louise holds the record for having entered Melodifestivalen the most number of times, racking up 13 entries in just over 40 years. The 74-year-old is said to be on the verge of breaking her own record and making 2019 her 14th time. Most recently she competed in 2004 as part of the schlager supertrio Hanson, Carson & Malmkvist. Their song “C’est la vie” placed tenth in the final.
Aftonbladet reports that Ann-Louise’s daughter Josefin Glenmark may be involved in the entry. Josefin is an experienced songwriter and was behind Martin Almgren’s 2018 entry “A Bitter Lullaby”.
Melodifestivalen 2019 roll call
Magnus Carlsson, Margaret and Ann-Louise Hanson join potential acts Jon Henrik Fjällgren and John Lundvik. While the all-but-confirmed list has Wiktoria, Nano, Arvingarna, Oscar Enestad and P4 Nästa wildcard winners The Lovers of Valdaro.
Melodifestivalen 2019 hosts to be revealed tomorrow
Tomorrow afternoon, broadcaster SVT will announce the hosts (plural!) of Melodifestivalen 2019.
Last week comedian Marika Carlsson was reported as being one of the presenters of Mello 2019.
Reports claimed that Melodifestivalen 2019 will have “three or four” hosts in total. It’s a change from 2018 host David Lindgren who presented all six shows by himself, or indeed the star-studded seven-person hosting line-up for Melfest 2016.
The 2019 host line-up will be revealed tomorrow afternoon, Friday 25th October, from 13:00 CET. Wiwibloggs will have full coverage of the announcement.
What do you think? Should Margaret do Melfest again? Who would you like to see host the show? Tell us what you think below!