Hovi Star shouted “dare to dream the dreams that really do come true!” at the end of his 2016 performance. And tonight this seems more appropriate than ever. That’s because the Israeli broadcaster KAN has echoed his sentiments in announcing the slogan for the Eurovision Song Contest 2019: Dare To Dream. The announcement comes after a long period of Post-Eurovision Depression. National Final season is right around the corner!

The slogan is more vague than 2018’s “All Aboard” — a direct reference to Lisbon’s maritime history. This year’s slogan is also less linked to the host nation itself.

Words from the bosses…

Israeli prime minister Benajmin Netanyahu has said of the tagline: “Netta dared to dream about Eurovision this year, I dare to dream so that Eurovision will be held in Israel in 2020 as well. I am sure all the songs will be great, but we can dream.”

Eurovision chief Jon Ola Sand said:

“This aspirational tag line represents and symbolises everything that the Eurovision Song Contest is about. It’s about inclusion. It’s about diversity. It’s about unity.”

“Being on that stage, daring to dream you can win the Eurovision Song Contest, be brave enough, be confident enough, standing there performing for a world audience is something that is worth the dream. This is what Netta did last year, when she performed in Lisbon. She went on that stage with a dream — a dream to bring the Eurovision Song Contest back to Israel. And she succeeded. And next year in May, in Tel Aviv, we will all meet to celebrate the good values of the Eurovision Song Contest and we will do it here, with the help of broadcaster KAN and the Israeli team.”

The slogan fits beautifully with the history of the contest, which was founded in the aftermath of World War II to promote peace and unity. The continent has overcome so much to unite for the show — from political infighting to ever-changing notions of what it means to be European. In an age marked by division, terrorism, tightening borders and more, it remains more relevant than ever.

Did any of you guess right?

We asked you to tell us what slogans you wanted to see at next year’s contest, and y’all came back to us with STYLE. In our Eurovision 2019 slogans suggestion video below you can see if anyone got it bang on…along with some great alternatives, some expressly political ones and some TMI from William and Deban!

Are you daring to dream? Are you in love with the slogan for 2019? Or do you think organisers have missed a chance for something more inspirational? Let us know down below.

Total
330
Shares

“- In Rabbinical Liiterature:
Jewish tradition furnishes abundant material relating to dreams, the Babylonian Talmud – which originated (200-500) in the home of the Chaldeans, the magicians of the ancient world – being especially rich in them. Berakot (55-58) is a veritable storhouse of dream-interpretations. (…) The fact that most famous teachers frequently discuss dream and enunciate doctrines regarding them, shows the strong hold dreams had upon the minds of the intellectual leaders of Judaism. ” Source: jewishencyclopedia.com

Adam
Adam
1 year ago

Slogan looks a bit like the Festival da Cancao logo…

Vanuatu
Vanuatu
Reply to  Adam

an ESC without plagiarism is not an ESC ^^

Skiwalko
Skiwalko
1 year ago

For 2020 I propose “Everything is A Miracle”, as Jaques Houdek said. You can’t get more cheesy than that.

Vanuatu
Vanuatu
Reply to  Skiwalko

you can sing “tu cancion” to beat it. 😛

Capara
Capara
Reply to  Skiwalko

I remind you it’s Eurovision. It’s all about cheesiness

loveisrael
loveisrael

Best slogan ever!

Maya G
Maya G
1 year ago

Actually, what Hovi said was “The dreams that you dare to dream really do come true” – which is a quote from the song “Somewhere Over the Rainbow” which was sung by Judy Garland in “The Wizard of Oz”.

Mr. Vanilla Bean
Mr. Vanilla Bean
1 year ago

New bet for the bookies: How many artists will shout out “Dare to dream” after their performance?

1 year ago

My money is more on variations of “Todah rabah.” And, of course, “Thank you, Europe!”

Luke Armfield
Luke Armfield

I like it but my favourite is still 2011

lola
lola
1 year ago

Countries should dare to dream about a more bold slogan. I’d like something that has the words: music, extravaganza, make an impact.

Iris
Iris
1 year ago

I love it. On one hand, it’s very Israeli – meaning that it refers to innovation and being daring – the Jewish ‘Chutzpa’, and on the other it is universal – all of us can dare to dream and these dreams one day can be our reality. Cool, as far as slogans go.

Idan Cohen
Idan Cohen
1 year ago

People miss the main point here: the slogan gently hints you to DARE.
the “to” is underlined and sided for a reason – so you can ignore it. the motto can be read as “Dare, Dream” which is the hint to the other countries:

Be daring with your songs, let the dreams dictate your limits.

1 year ago

You guys say that this slogan is universal, vague or non-political. Well, I can’t remember a more political and specific slogan than this. As David says below “it represents the Jewish Dream”. What could be more political (and sectarian) than this? The worst solgan ever for me!

Daniel
Daniel
Reply to  Trh

What mushroom are you on, dude? I want one too…

Reply to  Daniel

I don’t take drugs, unlike you apparently

Gili
Gili
Reply to  Trh

It represent so many things but apparently you connect it only to the Jewish state…it says much more about you then anything else…do you have a problem with the state of israel that you want to share?

Reply to  Gili

I don’t have a problem with the state of Israel because I don’t have any connection to it. Israel is the one with many problems.

Eastman
Eastman
Reply to  Trh

That would be a solid argument if “the Jewish Dream” was actually a thing. I tried googling it, but it doesn’t have a Wikipedia page and the top result was a book about dream analysis for Jews. I’ve heard of “the American dream” but I’m not sure it has a Jewish counterpart.

Reply to  Eastman

See my comment above. Source: jewishencyclopedia.com

Gobio
Gobio
Reply to  Trh

Saying that, is like saying “All Aboard” is a political slogan because it refers to the portugese history.

Reply to  Gobio

Good point, actually. Yes it is political. It represents the narrative that Portugal wants to projects of its history and present: “a maratime, multic-cultural and tolerant nation based on its very benign colonialism and centuries of peaceful trade”. This notion has its roots on the work of Gilberto Freyre, a brazilian sociolgist, who claimed during the 1930’s that the Portuguese were “better and more humane colonizers” than other European nations. In the fifties the dictator Salazar appropriated this work to justify the continuous presence in Africa and the continuation of the dicatorship. Of course, this narrative is far from the… Read more »

1 year ago

The question is: What dream?…

Denis
Denis
1 year ago

It does sound as one of those “insipirational” Hollywood Movies. You know, one of those where people cry!

Paul
Paul
1 year ago

Im a bit gutted they didn’t use the idea of stars somehow! Perfect opportunity missed!

It’s all meaningless though so I’m not too gutted!

LawStudent
LawStudent
1 year ago

I now have “I dreamed a dream” from Les Misérables stuck in my brain (the Susan Boyle version of course) lol… Though between that and “I Have a Dream” by MLK – you don’t get any more inspirational and aspirational. I kinda like it. I doubt Israel will use the slogan as a unifying theme for the show though. I think they are just treating it as a PR slogan and nothing more. To give people something to talk about in boring month of October :-).

Claud
Claud
1 year ago

I’m okay with this slogan, I think it’s kinda cute. I only ask that this year instead of 12 logos, where only one of them was actually used during the shows, that we just, you know, have one logo. Just some food for thought.

James
James
Reply to  Claud

Te other logos were used in marketing collaterals although it would have been lovely to see them actually being utilized onscreen for the show itself.

EscAU
EscAU
1 year ago

A quote from Mr G from Summer Heights High “dare to dream” hahah! Honestly what do the slogans actually do? Back in Tallinn it was a fairytale theme and the hosts dressed accordingly but now it’s just a few words… and year after year it’s like ‘come together’ ‘everyone let’s respect each other’ I’m glad this year they broke that trend 🙂

Azuro
Azuro

Best Slogan for ages. Aspirational rather than political, love it

Skiwalko
Skiwalko
1 year ago

It’s quite a strange one, cause previous slogans (All Aboard, Celebrate Diversity, Come Together, Building Bridges, #JoinUs, We Are One) were mostly about unity, peace and coming together, and this one is more personal, like slogans in 2011 and 2012. I’m quite curious, what will the logo look like, but I think it will be harder to come up with a theme with such an universal slogan, since it doesn’t give any hints, like in 2013 and 2014.

Vanuatu
Vanuatu
Reply to  Skiwalko

thats precisely why i dont see the relation with eurovision on this year’s slogan. Instead of unity it actually demands individualism. It focus on the competition side of the espectrum: “Dare to Dream” is like a “Try your best to Win” to me (only masked under a disney sentence). When i listened to the Jon Ola’s words saying that the slogan is about inclusion and diversity, i was like… WTF? The slogan to me is about ambition (wich is good), individualism and therefore a bit selfish. In my opinion, and agreeing with you, very disconected from previous slogans and that… Read more »

José
José

I like it

James
James

No Dream Impossible

Loin dici
Loin dici
1 year ago

I like it. It’s universal.

Fatima
Fatima
1 year ago

Oh dear, Dare to Dream was also used prominently at the 2000 Olympics – http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TUqJ13Nfcwo
You’d think they could have come up with something more original

Vanuatu
Vanuatu
1 year ago

too disney and unrelated to eurovision for my taste. But well, it’s just an slogan. there are more important things

Billy
Billy
1 year ago

I actually like it a lot

Polegend Godgarina
1 year ago

It was Paris Hilton’s slogan for her album campaign in 2006… the impact whew!

CookyMonzta
CookyMonzta
1 year ago

Aye. It took all of a single month to be thoroughly forgotten! 😛

Polegend Godgarina
Reply to  CookyMonzta

Stars Are Blind is a CLASSIC!

1 year ago

It doesn’t really matter to me, so I’m fine with it.

1 year ago

I like it, but still wonder about the point of these slogans. Surely one day they will run out of empty rhetoric.

Joshua
Joshua
Reply to  Jonas

Well, it’s not mandatory. Russia didn’t have a slogan in 2009 and they did perfectly fine. Plus some of them sound quite stupid…

allexo
allexo
1 year ago

This slogan is so underwhelming, sorry. Even All Aboard was better than this. I’m really sorry don’ t hate me

Kris
Kris
1 year ago

This slogan doesn’t seem apt for a song contest for adults at all, Maybe for Junior Eurovision

If countries like San Marino /Slovenia/ Montenegro/ Macedonia/Lithuania/Georgia/Czech Republic/Belarus/UK(:p) win this year , only then will the slogan make any sense

Maya G
Maya G
1 year ago

A cheesy inspirational slogan, like every year. But who cares about the slogan anyway.

La Signora
La Signora
1 year ago

I like it actually, good choice!

David
David
1 year ago

I love it. It represents Eurovision, but also the state of Israel and the Jewish Dream very well!

Henry
Henry

It’s just ok

I am shock
I am shock
1 year ago

I dont realy like this slogan but maybe it will grow on me

Gobio
Gobio
1 year ago

Guys , relax, it’s just a slogan. A few bunch of words, the show itself is most important…

Frisian esc
Frisian esc
1 year ago

Wow, they’re early! Im okay with it . It’s better than most of the past slogans in my opinion. I’m mostly interested in how they’ll incorporate it within the logo, and design etc. I imagine it to be very colourful with the message in mind and since it’s Netta that won last year. Also maybe a little bit of eastern vibes?

JemmaUK
JemmaUK
1 year ago

I love it! Its pure, cool and simple. Not EVERYTHING have to link with the host city! We can all dream…

Heathrow
Heathrow
1 year ago

It’s a music competition. Why should every year have a silly slogan? How does this relate to this competition?

Frisian esc
Frisian esc
Reply to  Heathrow

Mostly because the ebu wants to keep the message alive of how the eurovision started.

MyName
MyName
Reply to  Heathrow

I agree Heathrow. We don’t need them

Yanis2Y
Yanis2Y
1 year ago

I kind of expected a slogan linked to the partnership with MyHeritage ; like something about our roots, origins, history, like “we’re following a path our ancestors created”, etc…

It's the BBC's fault, not the UK's
It's the BBC's fault, not the UK's
1 year ago

Slogan seems rather naff to be honest. Why do we need slogans anyway, they’re cringe!

James
James
1 year ago

To follow a theme around it.

Kris
Kris
1 year ago

What does naff mean? I thought it meant the same as the word rhyming with duck?

MyName
MyName
1 year ago

To be honest: BAD slogan! Why do they come up with the same dull stuff as slogans every year. And NONE of them tells anything about what ESC really is about: MUSIC! Why no slogans about music? That would at least makes sense! This is just very meh

SpirK
SpirK
Reply to  MyName

That’s why Belgrade’s 2008 “Confluence of Sound” remains one of my favorites.

MyName
MyName
Reply to  SpirK

SpirK, yes, at least it’s relevent, unlike most others

Sander
Sander
Reply to  MyName

Maybe because Eurovision is about more than just music? It’s about diversity, culture, working together, love, peace and unity despite differences. It’s not just a music show, it’s a cultural show.

Miki
Miki
Reply to  Sander

At the end of the day, it is just a three-day music festival.

666
666
1 year ago

Your Devine would have been great

Sander
Sander
Reply to  666

How about “You’re divine”?

Josh
Josh
1 year ago

Well I quite like it. It’s better than All Aboard that reminded me of Thomas the Tank Engine

123
123
1 year ago

it feels like they came up with it this morning

Gorilla716
Gorilla716
1 year ago

One word to describe how I feel about the slogan- meh