From Olivia Newton-John to Celine Dion via Julia Iglesias and Katrina & The Waves, Eurovision is often a step on the way to international stardom. And while music is usually the goal, countless acts go on to have successful careers as TV presenters, actors and media personalities. It’s with this in mind that we launched Eurovision’s Next Top Model nearly 10 years ago — to see which act has the charisma, uniqueness, nerve and talent to succeed as a star long after the Eurovision glory fades.
This year 26 women entered ENTM — the premiere online modelling contest for the women of the Eurovision Song Contest. Our readers voted with their fingers, clicking up a storm and tallying nearly 16,000 votes. And in the end one woman stood above the rest. She’s the queen of Spain’s Operacion Triunfo. And now she’s a queen among queens. Eurovision’s Next Top Model 2018 is Amaia Romero.
Amaia exudes a girl-next-door quality. Despite her growing celebrity and larger-than-life talent, she’s maintained an innocence and class that will serve her well in the years ahead. Her fierce beauty comes with a light touch — she’s at once strong, but open to being vulnerable, fashion-forward but rooted in Spanish tradition. She’s ticking all the boxes and making our jaws drop in the process.
In recent months — as tabloids speculated about her relationship status with Eurovision duet partner Alfred Garcia — Amaia remained above the fold. She seems to have tuned the drama out and instead focused on releasing her stunning debut single “Un Nuevo Lugar” (A New Place).
The celestial anthem proves that she doesn’t need to shout for her talent to resonate with an audience. Amaia captures, grips and casts a spell with this sweet and thoroughly arresting ballad. Bonfire with friends, church, yoga class or simply at home — this song will leave you enchanted and wanting more no matter what the scene. Amen, namaste, girl you slay!
Congrats to @amaiaromero for winning @wiwibloggs’ search for #Eurovision’s Next Top Model ???? Amid all the tabloid chatter remember to listen to your own voice because it is beautiful. Tu mejoras el mundo ?? Results video ?? https://t.co/PmAyS9NTcJ #OT #OT2018 @DebanAderemi pic.twitter.com/DmKiOzhdVZ
— William Lee Adams (@willyleeadams) December 30, 2018
Two other women have earned a spot in the coveted Top Model Hall of Fame.
The first is Cyprus’ Eleni Foureira — easily the best dancer of Eurovision 2018 — who narrowly missed out on the title. She fell short of the crown by around 200 votes. If her manicure wasn’t so perfect we’d call this a nail-biter! Since Eurovision she’s continued to charm the masses, performing to sold-out venues from London to Madrid to Tel Aviv. Her fuego still burns bright and it ain’t going out any time soon.
Joining her is Lithuania’s Ieva Zasimauskaite. The “When We’re Old” singer is a Hare Krishna, which may explain the peace and tranquility she exudes at every turn — from stage to runway.
Eurovision’s Next Top Model 2018: Amaia Romero
1. Amaia – Spain 2,420 votes 15.5%
2. Eleni Foureira – Cyprus 2,209 14.15%
3. Ieva Zasimauskaite – Lithuania 1,313 8.41%
4. Franka – Croatia 1,158 7.42%
5. Elina Nechayeva – Estonia 819 5.25%
6. Laura Rizzotto – Latvia 716 4.59%
7. Corinne – Switzerland 708 4.54%
8. Cláudia Pascoal – Portugal 616 3.95%
9. Aisel – Azerbaijan 580 3.72%
10. Lea Sirk – Slovenia 543 3.48%
11. Saara Aalto – Finland 535 3.43%
12. Yianna Terzi – Greece 485 3.11%
13. SuRie – UK 420 2.69%
14. Émilie Satt – France 393 2.52%
15. Jessica Mauboy – Australia 375 2.4%
16. Marija Ivanovska – FYROM 349 2.24%
17. Balkanica (Nevena/Danica) – Serbia 338 2.17%
18. Sennek – Belgium 287 1.84%
19. Netta Barzilai – Israel 266 1.7%
20. Cristina Caramarcu – Romania 213 1.36%
21. Marina Djundiet – Moldova 186 1.19%
22. Christabelle – Malta 171 1.1%
23. Zhana Bergendorff – Bulgaria 170 1.09%
24. Isaura – Portugal 122 0.78%
25. Julia Samoylova – Russia 119 0.76%
26. Jessika and Jenifer – San Marino 97 0.62%
How did your favourite do? Do you agree with the results? And who do you think is most likely to land on Vogue next? Let us know down below!