Ten acts sang it out tonight during Slovenia’s national final Evrovizijska Melodija (EMA) 2019. There were two rounds of voting, which resulted in the country selecting Zala Kralj & Gašper Šantl as their Eurovision 2019 representative with their entry “Sebi”.

EMA 2019 running order

Kim – “Rhythm Back to You”

Renata Mohorič – “Three Bridges”

René – “Ne poveš”

Fed Horses – “Ti ne poznaš konjev”

Ula Ložar – “Fridays”

Lumberjack – “Lepote dna”

Okustični – “Metulji plešejo”

INMATE – “Atma”

Zala Kralj & Gašper Šantl – “Sebi”

Raiven – “Kaos”

Jury evaluation

The finalists all performed their entries under the confirmed running order, before the jury panel made their decision. They all evaluated the performances of the 10 finalists and decided that Zala Kralj & Gašper Šantl and Raiven would advance to the EMA superfinal.

Superfinal

The two superfinalists, Zala Kralj & Gašper Šantl and Raiven, performed their entries again and the televoting public had the final say. In the end, Zala Kralj & Gašper Šantl came out on top  with a total of 72.89% and will be flying the flag for Slovenia in Tel Aviv! They will perform in the first half of the first semi-final.

Are you happy with Slovenia’s decision? Who do you think should have won? Let us know below! You can watch the show again here.

Follow all of our Slovenia news here

Photo: Sandi Fišer

Total
163
Shares
Ruth Oldfield
Ruth Oldfield
1 year ago

Totally love it! Wish you guys had paid more attention to the meaning of the lyrics, they are really beautiful and understated … best of all is the line “Not everything needs meaning”, which is ESC in a nutshell.

AngieP
AngieP
1 year ago

I watched EMA and this song was the only one I remember. Simple and beautiful. I don’t know the lyrics but it draws you in immediately. Clever staging too. I like this one!

zelenovi
zelenovi
1 year ago

First impression was positive, and since then I can’t stop listening to Sebi as well as Zala & Gašper’s whole back catalogue and EP. Wonderful stuff. Not sure how this will score in the context of a loud and flashy contest, but it’s a gorgeous, hypnotising song and i’ll enjoy seeing it on stage in Tel Aviv very much, regardless of how many points it might earn. Hvala, Slovenija!

Globhmn
Globhmn
1 year ago

Magic to my ears… They wrote and composed the song themself, I like artists that bring their own product. Also lyrically beautiful, very metaphorical. May get my vote in May.
Greetings from Belgium

Mirko
Mirko
1 year ago

I’m disappointed even I always love Slovenia and slovene language; I don’t know if is gonna be enough

Lady Gagarina
Lady Gagarina
1 year ago

Budget Madam Monsieur. Thank you, next!

Peters
Peters
1 year ago

My toilet break time in May.

Xoxixiyi
Xoxixiyi
Reply to  Peters

My 20 votes goes for them :*

Prijeten fant
Prijeten fant
Reply to  Peters

I am super glad that Slovenians have chosen this great song so that your sofa won’t get dirty. Take your time and thanks for sharing your deep thoughts on this song with all of us.

James
James
Reply to  Peters

You cna buy yourself an adult diaper so you won’t have to go potty at the comfort room.

Dumydumy
Dumydumy

Please, sign the petition for TOWER OF BABYLON TO GO TO ESC! THANK YOU

HBau
HBau
1 year ago

I always have a soft spot for Slovenia, and I wanted to like this, but I don’t. I don’t hate it or anything, but it isn’t sparking joy, so to speak.

Sebastián
Sebastián
1 year ago

The base of the song reminds me a little bit to Jean Michel Jarre. Don’t you?

Juan Cena
Reply to  Sebastián

To be honest, “Sebi” reminded me more of Nelly Furtado’s “Say It Right.” The music tracks are both ethereal.

EDM Fan
EDM Fan
1 year ago

Good song, just need some lines on English and this can win it all.

Xoxixiyi
Xoxixiyi
Reply to  EDM Fan

Agree

teddie
teddie
1 year ago

jesus. can’t stop listening to this tune! definitely some qualifying material, reminds me of the Ukrainian singer Luna.
one of those songs I love Eurovision for

Richard
Richard
1 year ago

This has really surprised me, and in a good way. I love the intensity of the song and the presentation, that they don’t smile at all and look at each other and hold hands. The song is quite mesmerising and understated, quite unique this year. Very happy with this.

Gurl
Gurl

It’s cool, I like it

gilpgilp
gilpgilp
1 year ago

Lea Sirk did a fantastic job last year and I could understand her disappointment. On a side note Ljubljana is one of the most beautiful and underrated cities in Europe and it would be amazing for Eurovision to be hosted there.

Hajshska
Hajshska
Reply to  gilpgilp

Yess, and RTVSLO said they have the money + we have a brand new arena for 17k people.
I think it’s finally time for smooth amd expensive eurovision again.

zeev
zeev

good luck from tel aviv

ewrwe
ewrwe
1 year ago

Slovenia made the right choice.

Yan
Yan
1 year ago

This is the music of today! No gimmicks no copycat of old successful Eurovision entries! Those kids are going to mesmerized Eurovision! Best Slovenian entry ever
I’m dreaming
(Look the voting percent)

Fatima
Fatima
Reply to  Yan

A really good point Yan. They will stand out, partly because there are so many soloists this year.

lolspain
lolspain

Just amazing.

NickC
NickC
1 year ago

I find it super monotone.

T.J.
T.J.
1 year ago

This is not so much comparable to Calm after the storm, but rather to O jardim….

AurelianTamisan
AurelianTamisan
Reply to  T.J.

It reminded me of ‘O Jardim’ too. But that was better in my opinion, this one simply doesn’t get any attention, ‘O Jardim’ had some charm.

Juan Cena
Reply to  T.J.

No way. “O jardim” had a generic ambient music track that felt old. “Sabi’s” music is more on trend with a chillwave feel.

Sal
Sal

Whaaaaaaat is thiiiiissssssss?????
Straight to my number 1!
Ljubljana 2020?????

Lourdes
Lourdes
1 year ago

The more I listen to it, the more I find the song mesmerizing. One of my favorites so far. But I agree with previous comments about the staging. And I can’t stop thinking all the time about the fact that they have kinda ‘copied’ Madame Monsieur’s style : Minimalistic, monochromatic outfits (in this case all white, instead of black), turtleneck, snickers and he even has a guitar, even though there’s no use for it. I would prefer them to have a more original appearance, just like their song.

Katariina
Katariina
Reply to  Lourdes

I really doubt they’re intentionally copying Madame Monsieur (a mid-table act who isn’t relevant internationally outside of Eurovision). Most people aren’t big ESC fans and wouldn’t notice stuff like this. The styling is just modern and in style, which is why there’s a similarity.

Lourdes
Lourdes
Reply to  Katariina

Maybe I’m wrong or I’m not really familiar with the fashion trends, but that was just my impression.

Loin dici
Loin dici
Reply to  Lourdes

Kind of hard to copy another futuristic look, though. ZalaGasper’s outfit looked like MM’s but more casual rather than chic like what MM used to do.

Juan Cena
Reply to  Lourdes

I felt Zala and Gaspar’s staging worked very well. They conveyed a dynamic tension facing each other, reflecting both physical closeness and emotional distance at the same time.

KSENA
KSENA
Reply to  Lourdes

I find similarity with the Horse with no name. Superhit in 70-80ties. Put the acustic guitar on it and here we are. I think this will be superhit of 2019

oli
oli
1 year ago

This is an interesting choice, not striking but definitely interesting. I am not sure if the Eurovision audience will response to this, probably they will get ignored. on the other hand, Raiven wasn’t better, too noisy.

Robyn Gallagher
Admin
1 year ago

I’m having more thoughts about the staging. The Melfest blog has this (translated) quote from Christer Björkman about staging duets: “It is difficult to present a duet in television effectively in this competition format. If they sing too much to each other, it is felt that they do not invite the viewers enough. And if they sing too much to the viewers, it is felt that they have no chemistry. That’s why performances like “Calm After the Storm” were so effective. Ilse and Waylon spent a lot of time gazing at each other, but they also gave the camera glances.… Read more »

Michi
Michi
1 year ago

if the song is intimate enough, being a voyeur can be connecting too, in the sense of witnessing something special and becoming secretly part of their story and their story without them knowing part of yours…
important is that the performance ist kept as simple as possible I think…

Skiwalko
Skiwalko
1 year ago

Well Salvador didn’t look directly at the camera even once, and still won. I think it call can all be fixed by some camera work – more close-ups, details, 360 degrees turns etc.

1 year ago

Very interesting, Robyn. This reminds us about two things concerning Björkman: the first one is that he really knows his craft, those are insightful observations; and the second is that he sometimes gets too attached to his own playbook. It’s true that’s difficult for a duet to connect with the audience without neglecting their partner and vice versa. But there’s something about the way we consume content these days that make me thinks that a voyeuristic approach can also work. Still to be proved, of course.

Loin dici
Loin dici
1 year ago

But seriously, though, does anybody expect ZalaGasper to cut through the superfinal and beat Raiven by a landslide?

P. S : we now have three electro-indie sounds in Tel Aviv : Lake Malawi, Pænda, and ZalaGasper.

gilpgilp
gilpgilp
1 year ago

Boring. Last year’s Slovenia was much better.

Vogzal Odessa
Vogzal Odessa
1 year ago

I am totally into this track, to say the least!! I would even go as far as saying that this is the best ever contribution from Slovenia and quite possibly one of the best in this year”s ESC edition. Very smooth, refined, intimate, relatable, contemporary but not in an intrusive or unorganic manner. Love, love, love it!!! As for Raiven, she is a gifted and indeed a memorable performer but I think rhythm cannot and should not replace the melody! Besides, even if I applaud her striving for the new and avant-garde, this time her song just sounded unfinished and… Read more »

gilpgilp
gilpgilp
Reply to  Vogzal Odessa

I don’t see where you get this. It’s a slow track that goes nowhere with no personality. Last year Lea Sirk was fantastic. This is nothing close to that.

Jake
Jake
1 year ago

For me, the song doesn’t need to build into a huge chorus, it is just beautiful. I hope people watching for the first time on the night don’t forget this, it doesn’t really have a recap moment.

Blass Hollingsworth
Blass Hollingsworth
1 year ago

Y’all, this is a dirge and it’s not qualifying. The song is boring and goes nowhere, and I just don’t see the appeal. I kept waiting on the song to break out and elevate to another level, and it’s just very one-note to me. If it broke out the way Calm After the Storm did, or if it created a moment the way Amar Pelos Dois did, I’d understand, but this song goes nowhere, the performers look awkward together on stage, and I don’t get it.

nauportus
nauportus
1 year ago

I think their onstage awkwardness is a big part of their appeal, like with Blanche two years ago.

evvvity
evvvity
Reply to  nauportus

I think there’s a fine line between cute awkward and looks like an unprepared mess and, at least on my first watch, they fall on the wrong side of that line. I do think it won’t be too hard to fix though so here’s to hoping it looks a little better prepared for Tel Aviv because even though it doesn’t go anywhere there is something really appealing to it (although it starts to lose me at the end but not much) and I hope it does well!

1 year ago

I’m not seeing what you’re all seeing in this, sorry. They are cute tho.

OohHoney
OohHoney
1 year ago

Cute song, booooooooring performance.

Robyn Gallagher
Admin
1 year ago

It needs better staging – though the EMA staging has a lot that works. The performance is strongest when Zala and Gasper are intensely gazing at each other, and there seem to be so many emotions zapping between their eyes. It’s at its weakest when it tries too hard to be a “live music performance” and the intense look is interrupt when one or both has to break away and pretend to twiddle a knob on the keyboard. Also, Gasper is playing a guitar but there’s no obvious guitar sound in the song? But if they ditch the guitar (and… Read more »

1 year ago

The way he looked at her during the performance was a major reason why I loved it, and is probably why the Slovenes did too. That’s either real emotion, or it’s award-winning acting. With something as emotional as that on stage, less of everything else is more.

Reply to  Purple Mask

It reminds me about the moments Jean-Karl shared with Émilie during “Mercy” performances.

nauportus
nauportus
1 year ago

that guitar bothers me too. they should ditch the guitar and have Gašper handle the fake keyboard intstead of Zala.

Katariina
Katariina
1 year ago

I disagree. I think the staging needs to stay exactly the same, just on a grander scale.

Denis
Denis
1 year ago

Borderline qualifier! I don’t mind it. It’s a nice cute quiet little song and the beat is good but it’s to quiet, to cute. Like Spain and Portugal last year! They have to work really hard to grab people’s attention for more than a minute..

YeahYeahFire
YeahYeahFire
1 year ago

Well… it reminds me of O Jardim… that’s not good. I think it will have a similar fate if not worse. Definitely better options would’ve been KIM or even Ula Lozar. But well… good luck Slovenia!

bastian
bastian
1 year ago

People writing in the Latvian article about The Common Linnets potential, well, THIS has the potential to do a Common Linnets. Its hypnotizing. It does needs better camerawork but the song is really good. Easy qualifier imho. I hope they sing in their own language. Please dont change it to English.

Apple
Apple
Reply to  bastian

I want to agree with you, but performing in the first half of their semi is already not good for them. I love the intimacy of the staging they have now, but it wouldn’t be enough for Eurovision…just look at O Jardim

bastian
bastian
Reply to  Apple

a good song will qualify from any spot, the melody is strong, the mood is amazing, it has all the ingredients for me to do very well. i like their minimalistic approach

Reply to  bastian

Calm After the Storm is my fave ESC song ever and Sebi doesn’t remind me of it in any way.

Robyn Gallagher
Admin
Reply to  bastian

The trouble is, unlike Waylon, Gasper doesn’t sing. He’s very much the silent partner. He rocks back and forth, strums his guitar, reaches over to twiddle the knobs on the keyboard and occasionally holds Zala’s hand (which is hard to see because the effing keyboard is in the way!). Zala is the emotional core of the performance. Gasper comes across like a moody boyfriend who likes her but not as much as he likes his guitar.

Pastel de nata
Pastel de nata
1 year ago

It’s nice, grabs your attention for a while but unless well staged could flop at ESC.

dygh
dygh
1 year ago

I don’t know about that song but have you seen that intro? Like, imagine a dancing robot right before any song during Eurovision. I need this weirdness

Prijeten fant
Prijeten fant
1 year ago

Lyrics, found on YT – as a native speaker, I can assure you that they are actually very well translated. Enjoy! To yourself When your mind is full of thoughts you can hear how my heart beats When your burden is heavy you can take refuge in me Ask what keeps me going forward achievements and distances Like a leaf goes with the wind and resists it I go with the flow and resist it REFRAIN: You can’t always see the stars stay true to yourself don’t tell me you’re sorry (2x) There are tears in your eyes let them… Read more »

Safiya
Safiya
Reply to  Prijeten fant

Thank you!

Reply to  Prijeten fant

Wow.

Reply to  Prijeten fant

Thank you so much, Prijeten fant! I love it even more now that I know the lyrics.

Mufasa
Mufasa

I like it

Safiya
Safiya
1 year ago

I need lyrics translation ASAP.

Reply to  Safiya

I looked and I could not find any lyrics. None at all. Please help. Thank you.

Reply to  Purple Mask

Lyrics translation has now been posted a few comments above this one, so please disregard.

Anfrers
Anfrers
1 year ago

What are the lyrics about? Love the melody.

KOSMOPOLJ
KOSMOPOLJ
1 year ago

No …. this is not art …this is TERRIBLE !

Sorry, this has no big potential for finale

good luck

Dalth
Dalth
1 year ago

Don’t mind this quite a cute song although was just waiting for it to go somewhere, bit one note for me, however head and shoulders above other 3 songs picked tonight

EscGreece
EscGreece
1 year ago

Climbed into my top 3 pretty easily and I hope it stays there. Amazing choice. It sounds common and nothing unusual but the fact it’s simple simply adds to ita beauty. Sometimes less is more. Good luck Slovenia

Nini Kiwini
Nini Kiwini
1 year ago

Well my two favourites were in the super final, so I cant complain^^
Dont know how this would do at Eurovision, depending on the staging amd the mood it creates, this could either be magical or a pee break

Gobio
Gobio
1 year ago

Amazing choice from Slovenia tonight!
Into my top 3!

Kyna
Kyna

Slovenia saved the day, what a mesmerizing song <3

Lukas
Lukas
1 year ago

This song is a masterpiece! Out of this world… so mystical and yet so touching… just takes you to another galaxy. Such a relief among those generic songs. Good job, Slovenia! U didn’t cave 🙂

nauportus
nauportus
1 year ago

lea sirk didn’t know that her mic was still on when she congratulated raiven after announcing the winner and was overheard saying “I can’t f*****g believe it”. classy dame, that one 🙂

Reply to  nauportus