She won Romania’s Eurovision 2019 selection, earning top marks from four of the six international jurors.

And since then Ester Peony has been busy revamping her song “On a Sunday” and filming a thoroughly haunting and atmospheric music video.

Today — appropriately enough on a Sunday — she has revealed the video in all its glory, showcasing an artistic vision that should give Romanian Eurovision fans all the feels going into Tel Aviv.

The video sees Ester entering a haunted house, which seems to have endured some pretty tough times of late. The derelict walls and eerie destruction inside smacks of the Netflix series The Haunting of Hill House.

Speaking exclusively to wiwibloggs, Ester unpacked the visual feast.

“The video reflects a toxic relationship with the main character being trapped in a parallel universe — haunted by her own ghost.”

“Igor, the dog, is the house guardian. As I become part of the house, Igor becomes my guardian too.”

The video is intoxicating with marine life floating in the sky and mirrors reflecting all manner of madness. We see Ester multiplying as she copes with different visions and version of herself, many of which disappear in a burst of flames. It’s bold and just a little brash — the type of daring we love seeing from Romania.

It’s also a nice reflection of the magic that audience members — and the international jury — saw at Selectia Nationala. There, Ester sat on a chair at centre stage and that chair became part of the haunted house changing behind her. The angles on TV deleted all that magic. But with this video it’s now restored for a bigger audience to see. Hopefully they’ll keep this story alive through the camera cuts as they move to Tel Aviv.

The song has also been revamped.

“The new version of the song comes with a slightly different, more dynamic feel,” Ester says. “But at the same time it’s keeping that dark mood.”

Are you loving the “On a Sunday” revamp? Do you think the Eurovision staging should reflect the visuals of the video? Let us know down below.

Total
166
Shares
2 years ago

As politely as possible, unfortunately this entry is not to my taste. But I wish Ester all the best.

Nicolas
Nicolas
2 years ago

Will wiw will get some royalties for this clip ?

Anca
Anca
2 years ago

I want to say that the building in videoclip is Casa Monteoru from Bucharest.
Dracula’s Castle (Bran Castle) is very simple, so simple that many tourists were disappointed, because, you know, Dracula was not into glamorous things.

Zebb
Zebb
2 years ago

Idk if revamp was necessary but would be good for them to layer Ester vocals with backings somewhere. And despite of dated effects, sets in video are enjoyable.

Random biased viewer
Random biased viewer

Nice video, bad song, Croatia 2018

Kriszta
Kriszta
2 years ago

La voz de Ester es tan particular, la canción tan triste y envolvente que no puedes sacartela de la cabeza, arte en toda su regla. Increíble Rumanía este año. ???

Reply to  Kriszta

Estoy muy de acuerdo contigo.

Julian
Julian
2 years ago

Week after week passing and nobody knows what the juries have seen in this. The hope is that her fans will be all in juries but by the look of it they are not nearly enough to fill those ranks. The video complements the song well. It is robotic, repetitive, boring, coming from and going nowhere. Such a complex explanation of a story that practically nobody gives a damn and even those that are squeezing a damn are borderline ‘but that killed it for me’ fans.

Reply to  Julian

It’s not that all songs are everyone’s cup of tea and that’s totally normal and expected. Juries receive criteria to assess songs. Do you know what the criteria was? Some are the radio friendly factor, quality of the music and lyrics, originality and live delivery. I appreciate greatly the fact the Ester is one of the co-composers and that she contributed to the narrative to express her feelings through her song. That makes On a Sunday and her performance of it much more believable. A total contrast compared to other Eurovision songs made by the same composers for different countries… Read more »

Julian
Julian
2 years ago

Romania qualifies when it gains the points from the public, it was always like that. We were never and will never be such a jury darling that we could get a good enough result from juries. That makes all you have written supporting that we are sending the wrong entry. On a Sunday is the worst entry for the public appeal that Romania has ever sent in its history, the few of its supporters are in majority pity fans or Laura haters and it is cringy that even with these her room is empty. “Would have Laura made better”? Romania… Read more »

AurelianTamisan
AurelianTamisan
2 years ago

Now, I don’t know if what Eurovision juries are saying is quality it’s necessarily quality. Some of the Eurovision’s jurors are very controversials and pretty amateurs. Let’s see year 2015: Italy loses because of the juries. Now I don’t think that anybody could say it lost because of lower quality. ‘On a Sunday’ will have some juries’ support, but it won’t be terrible, don’t expect to get some top placings. I think this year will be the most balanced for Romania in terms of Jury/Televote position, which will most probably put it somewhere in the middle. You say about the… Read more »

2 years ago

There is definitely bias among the juries – block voting, “enemy countries” not giving each other any points, the big faves giving each other very few points or none more recently. And jury members may change from year to year in each country unless they get to vote purely objectively. EBU have enforced a new set of rules on the formula used to count the votes from each juror in all participating juries. That change was enforced in 2018 I believe to make the jury voting more fair. However I believe that that modus operandi will continue, because no one… Read more »

Daniel
Daniel
2 years ago

The most coherent comment I’ve seen so far

Apple
Apple
2 years ago

The revamp is smart. It didn’t change the song or the spirit of it, but just srengthened everything. This is such a strong entry

2 years ago

I don’t think it required a revamp, but it was a subtle one and I still like it a lot, as I liked it since I’ve listened to it for the very first time. The funny thing is that the video finally explained what the hell they were trying to do with the staging in the national final. It’s actually not a bad idea to give it a spooky background and playing the Dracula castle card, but they still have to refine the visual elements.

avis
avis
2 years ago

The music video was shot in the same house as the one from Timebelle’s Apollo (Switzerland 2017). Seems to be a popular spot.

2 years ago

Taxidermist husky? (Too much?)

Yaa
Yaa
Reply to  Purple Mask

Not too much for them as they truly embrace kitsch.. I even think it’s they’re religion, but my comment would be erased because of this. Let’s see.

Daniel
Daniel
2 years ago

Like Laura elevated Funny girl in Lisbon this entry isn’t about the song.
It is about Ester’s performance, you feed of gripping visuals and her haunting performance. It is whole package and it can slay even more than we think.
I am definitely team Romania.

Loin dici
2 years ago

Well, those visuals are… something… but I guess it adds to surrealness of the video, with chances that it was intended. The revamp was great, making it more variative ans unpredictable, good for live staging.

Leo
Leo
2 years ago

Winning material, ticks all the boxes.

Polegend Godgarina
2 years ago

if only emmelie de forgotten didn’t sabotage bella….. romania articles give me ptsd

2 years ago

I am expecting a fourth concept for the stage performance in TA. I really enjoyed one concept in her semi-final, another one in the final, then the video.

Currently my #1!

ESCFan2009
ESCFan2009
2 years ago

I love this song! Romania, be proud of this masterpiece! Best decision! My current #4 and only Israel left until now, so it will be my #4 or #5 in the end 😀

ESCFan2009
ESCFan2009
Reply to  ESCFan2009

Update: After all 41 songs are out, Romania is my 4th place! Love it! 😀

Film
Film
2 years ago

This is my favorite song this year even before thy selected her. I love listening to Esters voice. Im so grateful the revamp didnt ruin the song. I love both versions. Good luck Romania from BG. Im rooting for you this year! I Hope the staging elevate the song even more.

Hullabaloo
Hullabaloo
2 years ago

I mean, wolf holograms ala Belarus 2016 might still be an option.

Yuvaly
Yuvaly
2 years ago

I love the song and it was actually my favorite from selectia nationala. They should take Sacha Jean Baptiste to do the staging tho, cu I fear it will end up looking like a scene from the Dracula musical.

Reply to  Yuvaly

She’s talented but a bit obsolete I think. She does too much dark and smoky – see Georgia 2014, Armenia 2016, Bulgaria 2017 and 2018. Those were more on the epic side unlike other entries she’s worked on such as Australia and Armenia 2017 and Cyprus 2018. That being said, I also think there is a risk for a stereotypical presentation in the way of vampires and so. I mean, the video is a bit conducive towards that – the creepy imagery of something that looks like zombies to me even though not vampires but close to that. I am… Read more »

Hullabaloo
Hullabaloo
2 years ago

I enjoy the song, I did even before the revamp, but oh my I never want to see these visuals ever again. Not even the husky.

Roy Moreno
Roy Moreno
2 years ago

Great music video, the live version is stunning and I love the spooky theme!

2 years ago

PART 3/3 7. The backing vocalists don’t sound good at all and the contrast with Ester’s voice is distracting. And their Romanian accent is too strong. I am sure they are very nice girls and support Ester greatly (such sweethearts during the voting and I was happy for them too!) but the versions I’ve heard so far are not enough for a song in English performed in an international competition. 8. Ester delivers very, very well while performing alone. Other countries have their backing vocalists in the background and they do it successfully (for example Sweden 2014, Bulgaria 2017, Belgium… Read more »

2 years ago

PART 2/3 I do understand that the performance has been refined, and probably will be refined further on as the date of the semi in Tel Aviv is approaching. But I still have some other comments that come FROM A VERY GOOD PLACE!! 1. The revamp is amazing, great and exceptional for me as a non-professional in music with voting potential. Well done!!! 2. Ester is a very convincing performer with a great voice and good enunciation in English. However vocals, including enunciation, can always be improved for the live performance; all performers do work on them. 3. Keep the… Read more »

2 years ago

PART 1/3 Wow! Ester the performer, the composers and lyricist, TVR! You listened!!! Loud clap, congratulations to all of you and humble thanks from a big fan of On a Sunday and Romania in Eurovision! Now this song is my solid number 1 pre-rehearsals! Thanks very much for a very happy Sunday! To respond to William’s questions (long answer in three parts): I love the revamp!! Nice surprise since I was not expecting one at all. It feels good you considered the feedback in reactions. Well done!!! I loved the song before, now I am in love with it! And… Read more »

poe-tay-toe-chips
poe-tay-toe-chips
2 years ago

…So can we go on ahead and call this the Eurovision music video contest now?

Eurofan Mexico
Eurofan Mexico
2 years ago

Sorry Romania you are ateo lost, cane nack to the times when lumínica or playing with fire surprise us , sorry for copy the SOLDI APLAUSE

ALL Wei
ALL Wei
2 years ago

The evil stephmother of Snow and White has come alive!! Another great vid with only a lackluster song!! I miss the red apple and the 7 dwarfs tho!!

Yaa
Yaa
2 years ago

A mediocre voice, a copied song , a cheap confused video, what’s not to like if you despise Romania and whant to push it under the tram? Right now it’s 30th in odds and rightfully so. Proud much?!

Loin dici
Reply to  Yaa

A confused fan, too, I guess.

2 years ago

The horror movie theme can work well for Romania. Semi 2 has A LOT of solo female singers, which means many of them will be eliminated from the contest. Romania is in that bunch, so you better work girl!!

2 years ago

Wiwibloggs, can you please do something about trolls who are mass downvoting any remotely positive comment about any song and leaving insults about performers (see Sweden as well). Moderators should help!

Reply to  Colin

I second that.

Reply to  Colin

ITA. (I totally agree),

Paul
Paul
2 years ago

Off topic but Israel’s r in the top 10 with the betting! Their songs pretty beautiful ….

Reply to  Paul

What time is the official release?

2 years ago

It’s very interesting and dark. There is something unsettling here and I’m very intrigued by it. Might end-up in my top 10. The fact that it was my 5th in Selectia nationala speeks volumes of the contest.

Reply to  Colin

Honest question: what do you mean? I don’t understand the parallel between possibly ending up in your top 10 yet it was your fifth in SN?

2 years ago

I meant that SN had at least five songs that were top 10 worthy and that it’s a huge thing for a single NF. Romanians did a great job in selecting their line-up.

Reply to  Colin

Aww, thanks. Now it’s all clear 🙂

Alon I srael
Alon I srael
2 years ago

Good luck Romania! this song is absolutely fantastic!! in my top 3 for sure!

Reply to  Alon I srael

Shalom ve todah raba.
I can’t to hear the Israeli entry.

Alon I srael
Alon I srael
Reply to  Whisker

i will vote for Romania in the final, for sure!

Reply to  Alon I srael

Very nice to hear that! The artist and the team will be very happy about that, and fans like myself as well! And thanks!

Reply to  Alon I srael

I just listened to Home, what a great song, I loved it from the first notes! I think it should do very well with the juries and the televote!

Shanfa Chai
Shanfa Chai
2 years ago

With the revamped version, Romania instantly became one of my favorite entries this year along with Azerbaijan, Cyprus, Greece, Iceland, Italy, Netherlands, Portugal and Switzerland.

This could sneak through the final with great performance and staging.

LukeGallagher
LukeGallagher

Revamp has put it back to my number 1 spot

2 years ago

I love her. From what I’ve seen she exudes art through her voice, movements, facial expression, eyes, outfits, it’s fantastic. I find her shy in interviews yet totally transformed when she performs, she is so confident. I love the revamp too. I wouldn’t have understood the video without some sort of a presentation. But it’s not a bad at all.

Reply to  Whisker

Interesting should you say that. First of all I want to say I have a lot of admiration for Ester the artist. I’ve seen some interviews with her – very few after Eurovision because before the contest there was virtually no video interview and just one in English with an Irish Eurovision website. I even checked with a Romanian speaker to verify my impressions of her media handling abilities. Again, these comments come from a very good place. I really want her and her team and TVR do well in Tel Aviv: I don’t think she comes across necessarily shy… Read more »

Tommy S. Østby
Tommy S. Østby
2 years ago

First of all, this is extremely similar to J. Cash – Wayfaring Stranger. But I’ve liked it all the way, and was pleased when it won. But…this revamp killed it for me. I loved the construction of the original version, the dark mood and the simple indie feeling. The song felt real and authentic, but now with the new video I feel it became more fake and have become just another pop song. So my 5th place is not my 5th place anymore, to say it that way.

Yssy
Yssy
2 years ago

It is similar to Wayfaring Stranger now that I think of it. And I remember singing it for Choir. I actually do not mind because the song is really good and adds it’s own twist

esc stan
esc stan
Campbell Grace
Campbell Grace
Reply to  esc stan

That was Poli Genova’s entry for Bulgaria 2018, wtf?!?

esc stan
esc stan
Reply to  Campbell Grace

I know right

Film
Film
Reply to  Campbell Grace

How do you know it was hers?

Pam

Katariina
Katariina

Love this

Weißbrot
Weißbrot
2 years ago

The song is good, but honey nooooo, what are these special effects? Yikes.

Reply to  Weißbrot

Have you read the post? It’s explained very clearly.

2 years ago

Wow it’s much better. Great job Ester!

Adriana
Adriana
2 years ago

I like it very much so dark and gothic.

esc stan
esc stan

I feel like I’m the only one who likes this 🙁 Good luck Romania

Reply to  esc stan

Not alone! One of my favorites.

Idksmth
Idksmth
Reply to  esc stan

I love this it is my fave rn

Albert
Albert
Reply to  esc stan

Not, you’re not, she is my #2

Reply to  esc stan

It’s my number one 🙂

Film
Film
Reply to  esc stan

I Loved the song even before it get selected. I was jumping around when she won. I coudnt believe it.

Yaa
Yaa
Reply to  esc stan

You are in the team of the happy few. Enjoy it now, cause the end is near. Just don’t forget that corruption and prejudice brought it to Eurovision, and now you approuve with it. Everyone has it’s standards.