Team Wiwi Top NF Songs 15-11

It’s getting tight at the top! We continue to look at Team Wiwi’s favourite songs from the 2019 national final season. We’re moving through the halfway point today, as we take a look at songs finishing from 15th to 11th.

Who’ll just miss out on a spot in our top ten though? Check out today’s five songs below:

15. “On cherche encore (Never Get Enough)” — Gabriella (France)

“In Eurovision, nothing says winner like a violin. Trust us – bring a violin” Unfortunately, the Destination Eurovision audience didn’t exactly agree with “Love Love, Peace Peace”. Gabriella was an instant favourite among Eurovision fans this year, interacting with them across social media.

“On cherche encore” proved catchy both in English and French. Gabriella showed off her violin training on stage, and even had a band reveal as part of her performance. Shockingly, despite being a huge favourite going in, she only managed to finish 6th in her semi-final. But we still can’t get enough!

14. “I Love It” — Oscar Enestad (Sweden)

Deltävling 2 of Melodifestivalen 2019 threw up some interesting results, to say the least. One of the shocks was, of course, former FO&O member Oscar Enestad finishing last. Of course, given that “I Love It” touched on Oscar’s relationship with an older woman and his parents’ disapproval, it might not have been an obvious vote winner.

But as a song, it quickly grabbed attention — and Spotify streams back it up. As of March 26, “I Love It” is nearing 3.7 million streams on Spotify, better than many songs actually going to Eurovision this year. Oscar might not have won at Melfest, but he’s certainly won lots of loving fans.

13. “Not With Me” — Wiktoria (Sweden)

A reinvention year for Wiktoria at Melodifestivalen? “Not With Me” didn’t quite generate the same hype as her previous entries, but crucially showed off just how great a vocalist Wiktoria is. Dumping the country-pop could have been a risk, but “Not With Me” gave us all the feels.

Of course, it wouldn’t be a Wiktoria performance without a stage show either. And oh, did she deliver: belting out “Not With Me” whilst being drenched in an on-stage rain shower. Powerful as ever, and hopefully it will soon be her time to go to ESC.

12. “Victorious” — Lina Hedlund (Sweden)

After the schlager revival under Jessica Andersson in 2018, the burden fell to Alcazar’s Lina Hedlund to keep it up in 2019. Of course, she wasn’t going to let those fans down. “Victorious” was a classic dancefloor bop, exactly what you’d want and expect.

And once again, the schlager won out, as Lina surprised many and qualified direct to the Melfest final. Whilst “Victorious” didn’t light the scoreboard up in the Friends Arena, it didn’t matter: it’s got its home at many a Eurovision night to come.

11. “On My Way” — Sheppard (Australia)

The first song from Australia’s first ever national final to appear on our countdown. If there was any proof needed that SBS were taking Australia Decides seriously, then the initial announcement of Sheppard as a competing act sealed the deal.

Fresh off a #1 album in 2018, the hype quickly grew around Sheppard. Whether “On My Way” could ever quite match that hype would have been doubtful. But the Sheppard siblings still delivered a song entirely in their wheelhouse.

“On My Way” was a pop anthem that would have been easy to see on any Eurovision stage. Here, Sheppard just miss out on our top ten — but we’ll still be singing it for a while to come!

That’s our five songs for today – were any of them your favourite? Tomorrow sees the start of our top ten countdown – with eight countries represented amongst them. Let us know all your thoughts and who’s in your top ranking below.

Check out all of our top national final songs posts here

Manuel Moreira
Manuel Moreira

When will we see the top 10? 🙂

ESCFan2009
ESCFan2009

Oh, and btw: I love Oscar and his hair. 2qt2bstr8 <3

Laurentiu
Laurentiu
1 year ago

those three Melodifestivalen songs that intrusively sneaked into this list are soo boooooring.

Reply to  Laurentiu

I agree, though I enjoyed the Eurovisioness of “Victorious”.

My favorite was Norrsken, then Ashes to Ashes, and Stormbringer. And Om om och om igen, and Tempo on the reaaaally light and fun side.

Héctor
Héctor
1 year ago

Electric Fields will win this. They deserve it. Well, they they deserved to represent Australia in Eurovision.

Luc
Luc
Reply to  Héctor

I am so disapointed that they didnt win! I still really love listening to that song! ??

Idksmth
Idksmth
1 year ago

HONESTLY, I was so suprised when Emmy Liyana won last year, so I’m hoping for my runner-up from DE Seemone to win this(my fave was Gabriella). Also putting that unmemorable Sheppard in #11 should be a crime, because it shouldn’t have made this top.

Robert
Robert

Electric Fields hopefully nr 1

Stian F
Stian F
Reply to  Robert

Agree. Its by far my highest ranking song on my list of all national final songs that didn’t get all the way to Eurovision. It’s a masterpiece. AUSTRALIA would have been top 3 with EF and now they are a non qualifier for me…

Pok
Pok
Reply to  Stian F

I hope too. But these divas loving wiwibloggers will probably put Siren Song first.

Roelof Meesters
Roelof Meesters
1 year ago

On Cherce Encore was sooooooo annoying, I’m glad it didn’t make the DE final.

NickC
NickC
1 year ago

Sorry but putting these ahead of la haut should be a crime.

1 year ago

Chris mentioned below that this list was gathered by the same procedure used over the past five years. However, this is honestly the worst top list so far from the past five years. I have started to ignore it now.
Thank you Colin, for your continued list. 🙂

Reply to  Purple Mask

You are welcome, Purple. There are two or three songs in my top 10 I’m not sure many will agree on, but also a couple of big fan-favorites.

I am happy Wiwi jury is listing their favorites, cause that takes time to do and it’s always nice to see. However, I’m not really feeling many of these songs in a way they do. Oscar’s “Love It” would even go on a dislike side for me personally. Out of these five, the only one I really love is Wiktoria’s song.

Rob
Rob
1 year ago

Why doesn’t someone like Maro Lytra isn’t given a change: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nLPlh5BTL-s

Or Shaya: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=rwbYEOKzBYo

Denis
Denis
1 year ago

You all need to stop obsessing over Wiktoria. Basic white girl singing basic song about heartbreak. It’s the performance that made it interesting.

Inga
Inga
Reply to  Denis

What does her race got to do with this? She is just amazingly talented singer.

1 year ago

They all sound extremely bland to me, sorry.

IOI
IOI
1 year ago

Lina higher than Wiktoria. Gurl, we are living in a world of choices, but that was THE CHOICE.

ASC
ASC
1 year ago

15- I found this cute and bubbly, yet interesting. So disappointed it didn’t qualify to the final.
14- wait… are you serious?!
13- My favourite in Melfest, along with Lisa. I do agree that it is weaker than her previous entries, but it’s still great.
12-wait… this ranks higher that Wiktoria? Ths was ranked last on my rankings for the final; it’s just a dated euro-pop song that might have done well in, say, 2006 or ’07.
11- I didn’t follow the Australian NF, but song sounds like it came from 2013 (not a bad thing though.)

ESCFan2009
ESCFan2009
1 year ago

Gabriella <3 Modern, fresh, melodic, energetic! And again my beloved language mix of French and English 🙂

Polegend Godgarina
1 year ago

on my way….. no words. i didn’t know there were straight locals among wiwi editors 😮

Pok
Pok
1 year ago

Said by a gay person who literally loved the dated and cheesy Verona.

Tibor
Tibor
1 year ago

Only 10 to go and still no match. I’m curious if that will change in the top 10. 15. Orgesa Zaimi – Hije: Very cool and danceable, at least it made the final in Festivali i Këngës and was my favourite there because as in Eesti Laul, my overall favourite got eliminated in the semis. Why Orgesa came last or second to last is beyond me. 14. Ana Cláudia – Inercia: Still think, the live is superior to the studio cut, very atmospheric and elegant. I was very pleased that this made it to the final. 13. Andrea Demirovic –… Read more »

Skiwalko
Skiwalko
Reply to  Tibor

I’m happy to see someone loving “Inercia” as much as I do. FIK this year was very strong, but “Hije” was definitely one of the stand-outs (though her 2017 effort was far better). Just let Orgesa finally win!

Tibor
Tibor
Reply to  Skiwalko

Everybody seems to prefer “Ngrije Zerin” – I never really connected to it.
But “Inercia” is really wonderful – and yet only my number three in this year’s Festival da Cançao. That’s how great I thought that was.

Reply to  Tibor

I really like that your list is original and true to yourself. Some of these would be among my full list of “honorable mentions”. I liked Orgessa’s song and Ana Claudia’s, and even Andrea’s started growing on me. It still wouldn’t be in my top 10, but much higher than D Mol nonetheless. Keep up the good work. 🙂

Tibor
Tibor
Reply to  Colin

Haha, yes, I remember you saying that the “Ja sam ti san” lyrics didn’t make a lot of sense – so I guess it is easier for me to appreciate the song not understanding a single word she’s saying. Besides, Andrea Demirovic is, musically speaking, perhaps a little high up in my list, but I took into account the discrepancy between what they had and what they actually went for.

Reply to  Tibor

Oh, yeah, discrepancy here is huge. My biggest one is in Lithuania, followed by Hungary.

Lyrics in “Ja sam ti san” are a bit dodgy, but after hearing many songs of Beovizija and Dora, I decided they get a pass. It’s musically very interesting.

''Thomas H.
''Thomas H.
1 year ago

Dear wiwibloggs, I am surprised about the ranking. May I ask you how you evaluated the songs. Any criteria, weighted or not weighted. best, th

Polegend Godgarina
Reply to  ''Thomas H.

personal taste maybe ?

Evan
Evan
1 year ago

Terrible. Gabrielle wasn’t even one of the top in her national selection. Oscar’s song lyrics are laughably simple. Lina better than Wiktoria? Ok…

Idksmth
Idksmth
Reply to  Evan

Why should only favorites be included on this list? Oscar came last in his semi, but Gabriella’s 6th place in the semi (4th from last) is what’s bothering you. The song is amazing and has every right to be included on this list, same as the others that went on to their selections semi or final, no matter what place they got. But I agree that Lina above Wiktoria is really debatable.

Tjh
Tjh
1 year ago

So team Wiwi has just observed the Swedish selection? So sad and partial, those songs were just crap and the winner doesn’t impress at all.

1 year ago

My Top 15 (continued) – Any song among my Top 15 would certainly be in my top 5 of ESC 🙂 :

15. Mirud: Nene (Albania) – Beautiful and emotional song, should’ve been rated higher.
14. Stefan: Without You (Estonia) – Very strong song amplified by an impactful performance.
13. Seemone: Tous les deux (France) – French jury got it right this time! This is powerful!
12. Morland: En liveredd mann (Norway) – As much as I like Keiino, this is just so poetic and deep!
11. Anna Bergendahl: Ashes to Ashes (Sweden) – Definitely a stunning comeback!

Evan
Evan
Reply to  Colin

Your list is infinitely better than the one above.

Reply to  Evan

Tibor
Tibor
Reply to  Colin

I spot our first match. 🙂

Reply to  Tibor

I can assure you, there is at least one more to come. 😉

Reply to  Colin

All songs that I liked or loved. Can I get your ranking put above the actual article to save me time? 😉

Reply to  Briekimchi

Thank you, Briekimchi. Nice to hear that you also appreaciate these great songs. 🙂

Reply to  Colin

Remember that when we have our inevitable disagreement about Monika Marija. 😉

Reply to  Colin

Colin: This is frighteningly similar to my “top” list so far. Really the only difference is in a couple of placings. 🙂

Forest
Forest
Reply to  Colin

Yes now this is the real list, not just like the one above which contains ‘I love it-Oscar’ LMFAO!!!!
Is there a way to ignore the top crap list of wiwibloggs and give credits to yours???

Reply to  Forest

Oh, Oscar… I think I’m siding with his parents on this one. I hope you won’t dislike my list after seeing two or three “boring ballads” in top 10. I was quite in a minority on some songs. However, there are also a few fan-favorites. I hope the Wiwi list will also give us a more satisfying top 10.