Politicians in The Hague recently discussed their bid to host the Eurovision Song Contest 2020. And, when we asked Dutch Eurovision act Duncan Laurence about that over the weekend, he said it’s waaaay too early to be having those kinds of discussions. But if the Eurovision odds are anything to go by, The Hague may not be so crazy after all.

Looking at the Semi-Final 2 odds table from Oddschecker, it seems like Duncan has a clear path to the final. He’s currently the bookies’ favourite to walk the semi — the best price you can get is at 6/4. That puts him well ahead of second-favourite Russia, whose highest price sits at 3/1.

Duncan will have helped his chances following the first two pre-parties of the year.

At Eurovision in Concert last week he smashed it. And he did it again at the London Eurovision Party on Sunday, turning the Café de Paris into a cabaret all his own.

The audience knew the lyrics to his song and he seemed truly touched, even saying “wow” when he realised they were singing along.

That he’s able to stir emotions in venues both big and small, and in his home country and abroad, suggests he’s on to something that transcends its location and is somehow universal.

Russia’s Sergey Lazarev recently told us that he won’t attend any of this year’s pre-parties — not even his home event in Moscow.

But that hasn’t hurt him with the bookies, who have him down as second favourite to take his semi-final.

Despite mixed reaction from fans, confidence remains high that he’ll bring impressive staging and put on a proper performance that will leave Europe speechless.

Switzerland’s Luca Hänni, who performed his upbeat number “She Got Me” last week in Amsterdam, sits comfortably as third favourite. He slipped slightly in the overall odds following his Eurovision in Concert performance, but no matter. He’s still considered a threat in this semi-final — but also overall in the field of 41 acts.

What do you think of Semi-Final 2? Is it this year’s semi-final of death? Is it Duncan’s for the taking? Let us know down below.

Read the latest news on the Eurovision Odds

Total
Shares
redarrow
1 year ago

I think this year should go for Malta good singer good song nice video and a very good performance on first rehalsal. and they are saying they didn’t show the full show on stage there gonna keep it for the semis …

Darren
Darren
1 year ago

Qualifiers in no particular order.
Russia
Sweden
Switzerland
Netherlands
Azerbaijan
Armenia
Malta
Norway
Romania
Denmark/Austria/Ireland/ Albania for 10th. Probably Denmark die to neighbours.

Nikko
Nikko
1 year ago

I always wondered, why is the flag of North Macedonia not shown?

Tom Ripley
Tom Ripley

My Q for Semi 2 – before rehearsal

1. Azerbaijan (9.5/10)
2. Malta (9.5/10)
3. Armenia (9/10)
4. Netherlands (8.5/10)
5. Sweden (8/10)
6. Russia (7.5/10)
7. Romania (7.5/10)
8. Croatia (7/10)
9. Austria (6.5/10)
10. Albania (6.5/10)

1 year ago

Based on the screenshots, it looks like someone hacked the North Macedonia flag and name on the oddschecker website. Some people will really stop at nothing to cause offence or be offended. 🙁

Forbes
Forbes
1 year ago

Those of you who claim Sweden is always overrated “just because it’s Sweden”, from a Swedish point of view it feels like we’re hated among ESC-fans, just for being Sweden. What I do agree with you all on is that it’s dead boring that so many songs are written and produced by Swedes. I mean, how Cypriot is Cyprus this year?

Candy
Candy
Reply to  Forbes

To me, this year it really feels like Sweden is overrated. The UK have a similar song, even written by the same person (!) and they’re low in the odds even though Michael Rice is a flawless vocalist. Is there any logical explanation for that?

Reply to  Candy

I agree. The fact that Sweden won 100% the international jury vote is mindblowing. The song is good so are the performers but it’s not that good to deserve that high score. There is bias there about Sweden. Huge bias. Totally overrated. The only logical explanation is overtly positive jury bias towards Sweden.

Denis
Denis
1 year ago

So being jealous towards Sweden for playing the game helps or what? Will hate and jealousy help your country to do better or what?
Better ask why Swedish entries does so well and why isn’t my country doing the same, instead of wishing Sweden to flop every year. Because that’s not going to improve anything.

Daniel
Daniel
Reply to  Denis

You so need to stay in the semi-final with your crap. Just enough is enough, and your crap is too much already.

Daniel
Daniel
Reply to  Candy

@Candy
Do you know your IQ?
I’m sure it’s between 9 and 11.
Sweden is always overrated. Always this country is the shame of Europe. There are countries that have national finals more democratic and weak, but awful Sweden pretend they are the top.

aroncido
aroncido
Reply to  Candy

Yes, there is. Bigger Than Us is a very weak song, weaker than Too Late for Love. The lyrics are just ridiculous. Michael has incredible vocals, but his overall performance is basically what one would expect in an X-Factor show: big notes, but superficial otherwise.
I don’t think Sweden’s song is amazing, but let’s not to justify our criticism by comparing it to the UK, itself already higher than it is realistic.

who Me
who Me
Reply to  Forbes

Forbes- I thaught the same many times. Many fans, not all though, go in with the “overrated” attitude even before the swedish song is picked. With that attitude they are just as biased as the jury and never give the artist a chance. It’s not the swedish peoples fault that the jury tend to like the songs from there. It’s just ridiculously to lash out to the whole swedish people and it’s country and blame them for what the jurys from all over the europe does. And it’s not the swedish artists fault either. They are as talented and hard… Read more »

Helene
Helene
Reply to  Forbes

It is indeed sad to be a Swedish fan of Eurovision. From what I have been reading in comments on this site there is no appriciation of the Swedish love for the competition. IN fact IT is the opposite everyone dislikes Sweden just because it is Sweden.

Eurovisually
Eurovisually
1 year ago

I’d be curious to know some stats on the volume of betting that this is based on.

I wonder who will see the biggest shock betting surge this year once rehearsals start and once the semi final is aired. #CommonLinnetsStyle There’s at least one every year.

I think Switzerland is insanely under-priced at the moment. It has solid gold winner written all over it .

haron
haron

qualifier prediction
1.The Netherlands (Jury and Televoting Winner)
2.Sweden
3.Switzerland
4.Russia
5.Armenia
6.Azerbaijan
7.Malta
8.Romania
9.Norway
10. last spot is between Albania/Macedonia

Nicky91
Nicky91
1 year ago

Austria very underrated, it is a very emotional song and i like paenda her style

limits grew on me a lot now

contenders for my votes in semi 2 are Austria, Moldova, Norway, Azerbaijan

Miguel
Miguel
Reply to  Nicky91

Sorry but Austrian song is boring as hell.

it’s only “YOUUUUUUU – YOUUUUU”

Best from Spain

Nicolas
Nicolas
Reply to  Miguel

Youuuu Youus or woooo wooos, oh ohhhhs reminds me another overhyped song this year.

Loin dici
Reply to  Miguel

Calm After the Storm was boring as hell in its year, and succeeded, though. Also, Ieva Zasimauskaite.

Ton ten Donkelaar
Ton ten Donkelaar
Reply to  Loin dici

It’s all a matter of taste.

Denis
Denis
1 year ago

Yes, we know it’s only from four betting sites and pointless.
But at least it keeps us entertained until the actual ESC. Same with OGAE.

1 year ago

Ok, erm, Romania 2017 was so low yet finished 7th overall in the grand final. LOL. Even The Humans, as catastrophic results as it was, finished 4 or 5 points below the 10th qualifier in its SF. I am still trying to get my head around the whole betting thing. Should people vote heavily for the winner, are they getting any money for should the respective song actually win? That would be a loss for the betting house. What makes more sense to me is to vote for a song that is lower in the odds, that song wins, and… Read more »

ESCelebrate19
ESCelebrate19
1 year ago

I think Ireland will get the final qualifying place. It is a likeable song and Sarah is a good performer. If the live performance is memorable, people will vote for it.More people like this song than dislike it so it just needs those ‘likers’ to vote.

Hello
Hello
1 year ago

Netherland and Russia are the worst to me, Switzerland is just copy paste song. Who decide about favourites? I think jury will have better taste.

Valentino
Valentino
1 year ago

For the moment this represents the average of only 4 betting agencies. All the others haven’t start the betting thing yet.

Leo Valdez
Leo Valdez
1 year ago

I don’t know why but I feel Norway will be the shock non qualifier of this semi

Tidge
Tidge
Reply to  Leo Valdez

I agree

Ivar
Ivar
Reply to  Tidge

I disagree

Mark Dowd
Mark Dowd
Reply to  Leo Valdez

Norway is gliding through with a very strong televote.

bingocharts
bingocharts
Reply to  Leo Valdez

I feel the same way.. I think the juries will place it relatively low and televote results will disappoint.. I kinda feel like the same is gonna happen as what happens with ‘Monsters’ last year

Daniel
Daniel
1 year ago

Russian Roulette with a swimmer.
Bye Duncan
comment image

Daniel
Daniel
Reply to  Daniel

You are right. This is The Netherlands.
It’s a losing game.
comment image

Reply to  Daniel

OMG, Killing Eve is such a great series!

Daniel
Daniel
1 year ago

Da, este. Baiatul care i-a luathai na lui Will… estede zamagitor. Cecre tin.

1 year ago

I have a feeling Denmark will be the shock non qualifier. When I listen to the song, there’s something in it that makes me feel it won’t qualify.

Loin dici
Reply to  Alex

It can qualify, but to be honest, it sounded quite harmless, like “In Love for a While” (SUI11).

Kris
Kris
Reply to  Alex

For something to be a ‘Shock’ non-qualifier , people must have had I in the should qualify category atleast. Denmark is at best a borderline qualifier , so it not qualifying won’t be a shock. If one of Netherlands, Switzerland , Russia , Sweden , Malta doesn’t qualify , then call it a shock.

RandomEuroFan
RandomEuroFan
Reply to  Kris

Malta then probably. It’s the only one we haven’t heard live in this semi and it could suffer calamitous staging if not done right. Though juries will push it into final.

Loin dici
Reply to  RandomEuroFan

It can suffer the fate of ‘Taboo’. It was said to be doing well in the semifinal with all its lasers and things but turns out sucked HARD at the televote.

123A
123A
Reply to  Loin dici

Please don’t even compare Chameleon with Taboo .. Chameleon is ten times better and if Taboo placed 5th by the juries, I am pretty sure that Michela will place even higher. I wouldn’t be surprised if she places top 2.

Loin dici
Reply to  123A

Well, we should. Does not mean we wish it to be, but fate could repeat itself, because Taboo is already a good, good song, yet that happened. If Chameleon could do better, that’s a great news.

Tobias Henrik Andersen
Tobias Henrik Andersen
Reply to  Kris

@Kris I was about to write the same word by word. We are 9th in the odds with 54% of Qualifying whereas N. Macedonia is 11th with 53% chance of qualifying: https://eurovisionworld.com/odds/eurovision-semi-final-2

When that is said I think we will qualify as she really sings well live. However in the final it will be forgotten and bottom 5 is possible.

Blackbird was great
Blackbird was great
Reply to  Alex

I wouldn’t be a shock if they don’t qualify……

Liam Lindsay
Liam Lindsay
1 year ago

And the UK being sooo low in the odds, what the hell, Michael has without a doubt one of if not the strongest consistent male vocals of the year and the song is excellent, people need to stop hating on the UK big time

Hello
Hello
Reply to  Liam Lindsay

Thats true, Michael is much better then Duncan. Duncan song is so boring song to me.

Ton ten Donkelaar
Ton ten Donkelaar
Reply to  Hello

It’s also about composing a good song. You can’t compare Mahmood with any other singer for exemple. It’s not just a good voice who’s gonna win the contest…

ESCelebrate19
ESCelebrate19
Reply to  Liam Lindsay

Michael Rice is such a great singer and performer. The song is run of the mill but he elevates it. I am captivated by his live performances- he really sells the song! He deserves to do well in the final.

Otto
Otto
Reply to  Liam Lindsay

Has nothing to do with people hating the UK. Russia and Sweden seem to get all the hate here and they’re high in the odds. Personally don’t like the UK song at all. Sounds like a typical “The Voice” or whatever song to me. Nothing special about it.

Ton ten Donkelaar
Ton ten Donkelaar
Reply to  Liam Lindsay

That’s certainly true, but the song is just so outdated…
I wish the UK spend more efforts in composing a good song and yes.. They can!!! BTW I love the UK.

Kirby
Kirby
1 year ago

I must confess, dear wiwifans, that I’m kind of tired by those betting odds. I just want magic, surprises, maybe a plot twist! I want to be sitting on the edge of the couch during the televote results sequence. I want black horses!!!

Loin dici
1 year ago

As someone who supports Tamara this year, it’s kind of… amazing to see her in 8th for qualification, because I though bookies would not come for her and underrates her.

Loin dici
Reply to  Loin dici

And speaking of Tamara, it is confirmed that she will perform alone at the stage, so your wish has been granted, Wiwi.

Reply to  Loin dici

But let’s hope the costume she will wear won’t be bad.

Loin dici
Reply to  Alex

I wish Nochpal does his job right this time and gives her a simple, elegant dress.

sam
sam
Reply to  Loin dici

she’s 8th to win and 11th to qualify currently, but she’s close and that’s a feat for macedonia