Hatari — the award-winning fancy-dress, apocalyptic, anarcho-synthpunk Icelandic unicorns of doom — have been keeping busy on the pre-party circuit. They recently made an appearance at the PrePartyES in Madrid, this time with the full Hatari entourage. Wiwibloggs’ Deban Aderemi caught up with the anticapitalist BDSM industrial poetry artists.

Frontmen Matthías and Klemens were this time joined by the three dancer-choreographers Solbjort, Andrean and Astros. Standing at the back, keeping a silent but watchful eye over things, was the “drum-gimp” Einar.

The group were decked out in latex, leather, mesh, stockings and platform boots. Astros explained, “We strive for something very comfortable and practical.”

Deban wondered about the purpose of Astros’ whip, and Klemens explained: “She uses it to keep us in line. Sometimes me and Matthías don’t know when to stop in our strive for ending capitalism. It really takes a toll on our personal life and emotional life, our family life.”

Hatari have emerged as one of the big fan favourites at Eurovision 2019, with their song “Hatrið mun sigra”. Deban wondered if they had thought about what would happen if they won. Matthías revealed that planning was already underway:

“We have already written our official apology to the Icelandic nation should we win. Because it would put a lot of strain on the economy and in Iceland. But this is, of course, part of our plan — to start with the local economy and crumble it using Eurovision as a platform. But it would, of course, be very fun to win.”

And while Hatari are known for their BDSM aesthetic, Matthías revealed that the group have been in conversation with the Icelandic BDSM community, who taught them the importance of consent in good BDSM practice.

The group went on to perform at the PrePartyES, giving one of the most memorable performances of the night.

What do you think? Do you admire Hatari’s work-life balance? Can they give Iceland its first Eurovision win? Share your thought below!

Read more Iceland news

Follow more of our Eurovision interviews

poe-tay-toe-chips
poe-tay-toe-chips
1 year ago

Iceland has a p.enis museum (and it’s the biggest museum in the country apparently) so i’d assume everyone there is open to all forms of bonking

Rogesc
Rogesc
1 year ago

I’m sorry but I really don’t get them. I try so hard to understand and like them but sometimes I can’t help thinking they are pulling a Silvia Night

TheDr Mistery
TheDr Mistery
Reply to  Rogesc

They totally do but this time more people are on the joke.

Roger Rabbit
Roger Rabbit
1 year ago

If I come from a rich family and rich country is more easy to be anticapitalist 🙂

poe-tay-toe-chips
poe-tay-toe-chips
Reply to  Roger Rabbit

As someone from a “1st world” country where people frequently die because they can’t afford medications such as insulin (the United States, if you weren’t sure where) I’ll fully embrace the anti-capitalist message

1 year ago

Their interviews are so delightful. I’m fascinated by the behavior of the blonde sitting right next to Deban. I want to take her with me to family reunions.

Johanna Hammer Hildebrandt
Johanna Hammer Hildebrandt
1 year ago

Best ESC entry in many many years. Iceland deserves victory this year !!

Jubi

20 members? lol

Unicorn
Unicorn
Reply to  Jubi

It is actually pretty big. Iceland is a very liberal country.

Female
Female

I L O V E T H E M

NickC
NickC
1 year ago

They are my winners too. Totally original. GO ICELAND!

1 year ago

I’m fascinated by these guys. How can anyone not be? I think they’d be an interesting winner, sure, but I don’t know how it’ll happen. They haven’t got a hook.

45jt15
45jt15
Reply to  Joe

Oh, come one, even the haters click on their interviews first. And on stage they are performers. I can’t see how they can lose. Maybe is the natural winner after so many politically correct winners.

Matthew Berger
Matthew Berger
Reply to  45jt15

Being anti israel is very political correct nowadays. Mainstream media is definitely going to eat their story up if they win.

45jt15
45jt15
Reply to  Matthew Berger

my co m m e nt awaits moderation wel co me to com munism

Reply to  45jt15

Um, easily. They can lose easily. You gotta remember that for every forward-thinking Eurofan there’s a music professional who’ll be a lot quicker to vote for the Netherlands or Switzerland. Speaking personally, I think Hatari are cool but am only kind of fond of their song. I have no doubt the televote will like it, but compare it to AWS last year. Remember that hot minute when people thought we were gonna be in Budapest for 2019? Remember how it crashed and burned real quick once it made the final? If you think this’ll win, you aren’t paying enough attention… Read more »

45jt15
45jt15
Reply to  Joe

Joe, I’m not necessarily a fan of H a t a r i , but even children like it. Children. If they can make covers, that says something. And jury…they didn’t liked Il Volo.

NickC
NickC
Reply to  Joe

I really see this happening. Eurovision always rewards creativity. Aws was your metal band from the neighboorhood, yeah they were cool but hardly original. Hatari are so daring, so different, even juries, at least northern and western ones will eat this up.

poe-tay-toe-chips
poe-tay-toe-chips
Reply to  Joe

idk about you Joe, but I can very easily hum Klemens’s part of the song

They’ve got very strong visuals and stage presence as well and honestly that’s over 50% of what matters (AWS lacked that even though the song was good)

Frisian esc
Frisian esc
1 year ago

Maybe they should write an apology speech for their hypocricy to sign a petition calling for a total boycott of eurovision 2019 in israel, and then competing in it themselves… Just saying

Kosey
Kosey
Reply to  Frisian esc

I think you might have missed the point…just saying

Frisian esc
Frisian esc
Reply to  Kosey

Then what’s the point? Creating as much negative commotion around israel 2019 as possible or that weird anti capitalism theme.

Kosey
Kosey
Reply to  Frisian esc

I am not going to pretend that I understand exactly what Hatari are trying to get across. But my interpretation is that if we don’t learn to love one another, then hate will prevail. Which is why I think there is quite a lot of irony in your post.

poe-tay-toe-chips
poe-tay-toe-chips
Reply to  Frisian esc

Don’t act like this is the first time that an act came with controversy

did Ukraine 2016 (or any of Ukraine’s actions in recent years) just never happen in your universe?

Frisian esc
Frisian esc
1 year ago

Where did i say that other acts didn’t come with controversy?
It won’t suddenly make me like, support or understand hatari.

Anita
Anita
1 year ago

The clothing is really ending capitalism, so simple 😀

45jt15
45jt15
1 year ago

Consumer has the “power of the wallet”. Educate the consumer to not buy things that are not fair-trade, and to not buy things that don’t have the right price, even if they can afford it. That said, capitalism altogether doesn’t need to be destroyed, because you have nothing better to put in place.
Apart from that, I have a strong feeling they will win. They have the whole package, something more than the song and staging (like Jamala, Sobral, Netta had).

45jt15
45jt15
Reply to  45jt15

Everytime I see H a t a r i , I remember the lyrics of Pulp-Like A Friend
……
Like a film that’s so bad but I gotta stay till the end
……
They will win, you’ll see.

Makis
Makis
1 year ago

They won’t win, so they won’t have to apologise…

poe-tay-toe-chips
poe-tay-toe-chips
Reply to  Makis

ORRRR their apology to Iceland will be their winning speech 😉

That would be pretty funny and kind of on-brand for them

Black eyes
1 year ago

For my the whiner this year.

Polegend Godgarina
1 year ago

kapítalisminn mun sigra… oh wait it already is

Kosey
Kosey
1 year ago

These guys are so funny, I love them! They are the people I am most excited to see in this year’s competition.

keith mawson
keith mawson
Reply to  Kosey

They are comedy gold

1 year ago

I would be very happy for Iceland, should they win the competition. I believe it’s the country with the biggest and most consistent viewership of the contest. But I am curious to see how would they do with hosting the contest. Not only that Iceland is a very expensive country because some people would pay to go there. So my question is about the hospitality.
Their national final – venue and TV capacities are top notch. They could do even better together with EBU.
Do Icelandic people really want their country to win the contest?

Polegend Godgarina
1 year ago

iceland doesn’t have enough accomodation for the tourists it gets now, i don’t even want to imagine with eurovision

Nikki
Nikki
1 year ago

But they have viking stuff, that’s enough for me

keith mawson
keith mawson

omg lolol thanks Robyn.

Meliris
Meliris
1 year ago

‘Hatari are award-winning totally reliable, Icelandic, anti-capitalist unicorns of doom’ …love this 😀

Nicola S
Nicola S

Best website ever made

Nicola S
Nicola S
1 year ago

Answers the age old question of how many ways can you describe Hatari.