Often there are few surprises in a Swedish Eurovision rehearsal.

So often camera angle for camera angle, the performance is identical to Melodifestivalen.

But at Sweden’s first rehearsal at Eurovision 2019, John Lundvik switched things up.

His backing dancers have new outfits, the performance has more energy and soul, and the stage is brighter.

There are lights on the screens, lights from above, and light from the strength of the gospel vocals.

If criticism in recent years has focused on Swedish entries being “soulless” this performance neutralised that problem.

John Lundvik has charisma for days and his showmanship shows on stage.

This only got tighter and better with practice.

John Lundvik — “Too Late for Love”: Reviews and Reactions

Sweden: First rehearsal at Eurovision 2019

Sweden: First press conference 2019

Read all of our Eurovision rehearsal reviews

Photo Credit: EBU

1 year ago

Is it too late for a touch of red on the outfits?

gilpgilp
gilpgilp

He will win.

bungaseroja
bungaseroja

DAT TROUSERS

1 year ago

best of today, left Switz barefoot.

1 year ago

Sweden needed a bounce-back entry after last year and they’ve certainly got it. I think this is going to be in contention all the way through to the end of the results reveal.

poe-tay-toe-chips
poe-tay-toe-chips
1 year ago

Everyone’s clothes this year…either so boring or so ugly….rip…

poe-tay-toe-chips
poe-tay-toe-chips
1 year ago

On a differnt note, his staging is so-so for me. Got the right idea but i am not sure about that salmon color

ESCalator
ESCalator
1 year ago

His choreo needs some shirt ripping for sure. Show us that bod-ey, hon-ey!

IVANOV
IVANOV
1 year ago

Another cheater this year. Even on the poor press center livestream sound you could easily hear he was using autotune. Disgusting, that’s why they needed a delay offstage and they switched with Austria.

diana
diana
Reply to  IVANOV

imagine being this delusional ^^^

Reply to  IVANOV

Oh, a troll in the press center. NOT OK.

Rasmus
Rasmus
Reply to  IVANOV

What? We swedes are kind of tired if we send good songs and people will not vote for us because we are Sweden. We dont come to be last every year.

Liam Lindsay
Liam Lindsay
1 year ago

I still prefer Bigger Than Us, no matter if the staging for Too Late For Love is improved, I just find the song boring, its in the low 30’s in my Top 41. Given the production quality of the song, Sweden will most likely get another Top 10 finish (even though I pray it won’t qualify). Michael Rice is by far the most superior vocalist of the year. (I’ll say as vocalist goes Duncan, Michael, Katerine, Sergey and Leonora are the Top 5 for me) and with Michael Rice, it’s getting a lot of undeserved hate cause if you were… Read more »

Lloyd
Lloyd
Reply to  Liam Lindsay

OH MY GOD THANK YOU!! Someone is finally speaking sense. I don’t think I can disagree with a single point made. The UK is severely underrated, Michael hits every note every time and I’m sure he said something different will be done with staging so hopefully that will add to his appeal with the juries

Reply to  Liam Lindsay

You “pray” it won’t qualify? That’s harsh.

CelebratESC2019
CelebratESC2019
Reply to  Liam Lindsay

I agree! I think Michael has a great voice and is a captivating performer. He owns the song and sells it! I think it is better than Sweden.

Rasmus
Rasmus

UK should be happy is they are 15th. Very bland song

Liam Lindsay
Liam Lindsay
Reply to  Rasmus

I couldn’t disagree more.

Reply to  Liam Lindsay

Both are good entries but I can’t agree because…
a) John is the superior vocalist (comparing his demo version of BTU to Michael’s.)
b) TLFL is still (across the three minutes) the more engaging song
c) John is a better performer on stage
d) We know what we’re getting with Sweden’s backing singers…the UK’s have traditionally been a weak point

I started with two points but went on a bit. It’s cool that you’re really pushing the UK this year but I think a top 15 would be a good result for them!

Liam Lindsay
Liam Lindsay
Reply to  Briekimchi

I will settle for 15th at the very least, because if you look at the Jury vote criteria one of the measures to award Jury points is to merit the vocal quality. Another is to merit the staging, something over the past few years the UK has been doing very well.
So those alone will be enough for the UK to get something at least and to avoid last place which many people think the UK will finish which I think is completely unjustified.

Reply to  Liam Lindsay

Are there still people who think the UK might finish last this year? Can’t imagine many have France or Germany above it…

Niya
Niya
Reply to  Liam Lindsay

Hi Liam, I keep seeing comments like this one from you on a lot of posts on here and I think it’s cute how much love and faith you have for the UK entry this year. However, I think it’s important to remember that just because you personally dislike a performer-/staging-/song etc. that doesn’t mean that everyone else does. Unfortunately your comments come of as very bigoted. Remember that not everyone is going to think and feel the same way as you. It’s not “unfair” when a majority disagrees with you – it’s “unfair” when you don’t put any value… Read more »

Liam Lindsay
Liam Lindsay
Reply to  Niya

Niya, it was never my intention to come across bigoted, but I try to reign my comments in a little bit in the future so they don’t sound so overly harsh/critical/bigoted etc so thank you for pointing that out for me. As for the UK V Sweden issue, I am angry with the consistent overhyped nature of Sweden when it comes to their entries, I have nothing against John I think he’s a lovely bloke but the song does absolutely nothing for me. Also, the UK being undermined every year and I know they didn’t start taking the contest seriously… Read more »

Erik
Erik
Reply to  Liam Lindsay

My take is that UK doesn’t really care for the contest. They are automatically in the final every year and very seldom gives us something to enjoy. Now, I’m not that a big fan of our (Sweden’s) song this year. But I wouldn’t really vote for UK either because they’re basically two versions of the same song. I think we’d appricrate UK better if they did not qualify directly. They’d have something to fight for. Personally, I only listen to the music on beforehand in an attempt to be less biased torwards the songs. Usually though, the pieces that I… Read more »

Vogzal Odessa
Vogzal Odessa
1 year ago

Salmon/turkey steak with a side of green salad, Looks at the cheeseècake but will, loyal to the sparkle on his instagrammable face, choose a fruit for desert. Balanced diet recipe, decent song recipe. Recipe will get the balanced singer through and gain him a vote or two from both, the juries and the televote. Mission accomplished?

diana
diana
1 year ago

One of our better entries we’ve sent! Excited to see the full rehearsal and hope for the best!

And you guys are always miserable under all the articles about Sweden, so sad

susi
susi
1 year ago

will qualify for sure, but it’s not the winner for me
(I am pretty sure though that juries will overrate this song)
cant wait for tomorrow netherland and russia!

Pabs
Pabs

12 points to svenska

Reply to  Pabs

Sverige – the country. Svenska – the language.

1 year ago

I wouldn’t change a thing about the Melfest performance, but it seems the huge tweaks were all about making it brighter, so maybe they won’t bother me that much. I love the Mamas and John. There’s a lot to discuss about the song, but I believe Sweden is selling it in the best possible way.

Jack
Jack
1 year ago

This perfomance lucks originality and emotion. It will be in top 10 however, because… juries.

Reply to  Jack

It’s not original but it’s full of emotion. Juries will support it either way. Like always. No shade though, it has merits.

Belle
Belle
1 year ago

It looks great. A great rehearsal. Go Sweden.

Stian F
Stian F
1 year ago

I am sorry… I like it less and less… So many other more worthy songs to win this year or even score a top 10. This is not one of them…

Ezal
Ezal
1 year ago

This is great, top 5 in final well deserved.

Denis
Denis
1 year ago

All that matters about this song is John,the Mamas , the interaction between them and the joy and energy. That is where the focus will be. Ligthness, darkness, does that really matter?

Loin dici
Reply to  Denis

Yes. And other delegations think about it, too.

NickC
NickC
1 year ago

I love slick Swedish entries, but I cannot warm up to this one. I prefer Austria 18. It had more soul, this comes across …how to say….composed with brain, and not with heart. But of course, it will do extremely well.

Henrikh Mugosa
Henrikh Mugosa
Reply to  NickC

Sweden already has at least 100 points locked from the juries… Remember who decides the running order…

PP77
PP77
1 year ago

TOP 2 with juries in semi final and fina with The Netherlands.From 3 to 6i n semi,and from 5 to 8 in final with televote. In semi and final from 1 to 3 place.

Henry
Henry
1 year ago

Well… I don’t know for sure but i think that the original (dark) staging had a lot more impact than this brighter stage.. But i can be wrong, because i only saw this clip, but still a top 10 contender imo.

Polegend Godgarina

the quintessential jury bait

Yssy
Yssy
1 year ago

Hmm. I will be honest. This is in my top 15 but I wouldn’t assume Sweden will win the juries just yet. Just because Austria did very well last year with gospel music doesn’t mean that some of the juries will vote the same way with Sweden. Top 10 with juries yes, but Sweden’s choice could also backfire. Regardless the staging seems to be up to Swedish standards and I have no doubt they will put up quite a show.

Stian F
Stian F
Reply to  Yssy

The jury is completely different people this year… Meaning that this years jury did not get to vote for Austria last year at all. Still think that there are other songs that will score better with the juries still than Sweden this year.

Loin dici
1 year ago

Weird to say, but I like the NF staging more. Perhaps, the shape of the stage and the use of lighting did make the performance work at it s best potential. Now the staging gets a little brighter but the use of LED to show tungsten strips was kind of off for me. And the big lamp prop looked weird now thaf it stands in the middle. I expected a lot more planning towards transforming it to this stage.

Mirko
Mirko
1 year ago

OMG this is so basic and bad produced, but jury will be loving this as always (’cause is Sweden so they have to put a lot of points on this)!

IVANOV
IVANOV
Reply to  Mirko

Makes me sick and they will bash Sergey because he’s russian

Rasmus
Rasmus
Reply to  Mirko

your commet is idiotic. Should John Change country?

Ann
Ann
Reply to  Rasmus

Rasmus – maybe you should change your behaviour. You’re insulting people all the time and you’re really surprised that some people don’t like Sweden in ESC?

Rasmus
Rasmus
Reply to  Ann

maybe you are a swede that always thinks what your friends tell you to think. Im not like you.

Fredrik
Fredrik
Reply to  Mirko

Why would the jury vote cause its Sweden? The juries vote for songs they like, no matter what country it is.

Savvas
Savvas
Reply to  Fredrik

Yeah, as if! Juries tend to vote for specific countries whatever the song thet send. Sweden is such an example. Every year no matter the song juries vote for Sweden. That’s unfair. On the other hand, countries like Greece have never been voted in the top10 by juries.

Tim
Tim
Reply to  Savvas

Sweden make Great music for Sweden, and galf Europé.

Miracle romania
Miracle romania
Reply to  Savvas

Actually, France is more overrated by juries compared their televotes, but i cant see you commenting this at articles about France?

Fredrik
Fredrik
Reply to  Savvas

That´s just stupid. So juries vote for Sweden. Maybe that´s because Sweden send good songs then..? You sound like a person who is jelaous because juries don´t like your countries song. Conspracy theories. Juries vote for songs they like and what country has nothing to do with it. Period.

sam
sam
1 year ago

sweden one of my favourites this year but this looks awful

Rasmus
Rasmus
Reply to  sam

how can it look awful BEFORE you seen the reheasel? It was not out when you commented so…

Denis
Denis
Reply to  sam

Nothing is posted yet so it’s amazing that you can see it’s awful. Wish I had that power.

Roelof Meesters
Roelof Meesters
1 year ago

Looks great, but I wonder how they’ll hide the lamp because Sweden wants it perfect and I think they would want to remove the lamp.

IVANOV