It’s one of the biggest award shows on the planet. And this afternoon organisers published the full list of nominees for the MTV Europe Music Awards 2019.
American superstar Ariana Grande leads the pack with seven nominations. But in between other global names like Shawn Mendes and Billie Eilish, there’s plenty of Eurovision interest.
She ended up quitting Eurovision due to controversy regarding her Russian ties. And now, ironically, Ukraine’s Vidbir 2019 winner Maruv is up for best Russian act.
Of those that actually made it to Tel Aviv, Italy’s Mahmood is the only 2019 entrant to secure a nod. Despite smashing all sorts of chart records in the Netherlands, this year’s song contest victor Duncan Laurence has been snubbed in the Best Dutch Act category.
However, one reigning Eurovision champ remains in the running for a gong with Junior Eurovision 2018’s Roksana Węgiel up for Best Polish Act. Staying in Poland, this is the first time since 2014 that Krajowe Eliminacje and Melodifestivalen hitmaker Margaret has failed to make the shortlist.
As ever, the EMAs are mostly decided by audience vote, and each country also gets to vote for its best local act. These categories usually attract a few nominations of recent Eurovision acts, with Lena, Marco Mengoni and Amir winning for their countries in recent years.
The MTV EMAs 2019 take place on Sunday 3 November in Sevilla, Spain.
Let’s take a look at the full list of Eurovision-related nominees.
Eurovision nominees at MTV EMAs 2019
- Maruv (Ukraine 2019) — Best Russian Act
- Mahmood (Italy 2019) — Best Italian Act
- András Kállay-Saunders (Hungary 2014) — Best Hungarian Act
- Roksana Węgiel (Junior Eurovision 2018 winner) — Best Polish Act
- Molly Sandén (Melfestivalen 2009, 2012 and 2016) — Best Swedish Act
- Fernando Daniel (Festival da Canção 2017) — Best Portuguese Act
- Viktor Király (A Dal 2012, 2014 and 2018) — Best Hungarian Act
- Elodie (Sanremo 2017) — Best Italian Act
Typically, there is a category for Best Israeli Act. However, no nominees had been announced for this section at the time of writing.