It’s been one week since Hungarian broadcaster MTVA briefly uploaded the rules for entering its national final, A Dal 2020. In those rules, there was no mention of A Dal being Hungary’s selection method for Eurovision 2020. It left fans wondering what was going on.

Today MTVA officially launched A Dal 2020 and confirmed what many fans have suspected. In the rules for the next edition of the national final, it is clear that A Dal 2020 will NOT serve as Hungary’s national selection for Eurovision.

But will Hungary make it to Rotterdam? MTVA has not otherwise commented on Hungary’s participation at Eurovision 2020.

Hungarian state news agency MTI reports, “The producers of the show decided that INSTEAD of competing at Eurovision, MTVA will help the talents of Hungarian music directly. The winner of A Dal will have several performances provided by [A Dal and Eurovision broadcaster] Duna Television, and also opportunities to perform at Hungary’s biggest festivals, plus promotion in Radio Petőfi and further financial prizes that can be used at the development of the artist’s career.”

Eurovision participation shrouded in mystery

So does this mean that Hungary has withdrawn from next year’s contest? Well, despite some fan sites interpreting the news that way, we don’t know for sure what Hungary’s plans are.

As MTVA still hasn’t spoken out about the matter, the only thing that’s confirmed is that A Dal is dropped as their selection method. There is still the possibility that the broadcaster could still use a different method for selecting the artist competing at Rotterdam. For example, one of the A Dal 2020 acts could be internally selected for Eurovision.

Hungary’s MTVA has a history of withdrawals at Eurovision. After their 1994 debut, Hungary ended up taking a break between 1999 and 2004. After their return in 2005, they took the years 2006 and 2010 off, citing financial difficulties.

Since then, they’ve had an impressive qualification streak from 2011 to 2018, including three top-ten finishes. Hungary also regularly does well with entries in Hungarian, though its most recent Hungarian entry — Joci Pápai’s “Az én apám” failed to qualify.

Other countries have taken a year off from Eurovision with impressive results on their return. Ukraine didn’t compete in 2015 due to the Crimea situation and won on their 2016 return. Likewise, Portugal didn’t compete in 2016 due to financial issues and won on their 2017 return.

It remains to be seen whether Hungary will return for another attempt in 2020.

What do you think? Will Hungary participate at Eurovision 2020? Or will we not see them in Rotterdam next year? Sound off in the comments below!

Read more Hungary Eurovision news here

Gabriel
Gabriel

That’s why Hungary didn’t want to go to the ESC 2020

Gabriel
Gabriel

I live in Hungary and i know what’s the situation with tose things

Gabriel
Gabriel

Ray this will be weird but Orbán’s not a dictator Just the hungarians think that Orbán’s a dictator and Hungary it’s a homophobic country i think

Ray
Ray
1 year ago

Don’t worry guys! The MTVA is in Orbán hand’s. Everybody know He want to be the European Union’s enemy. You know it. We know it. It’s clearly this was a Political step. Sadly but true. The Fidesz called the Eurovision Contest like a “Gay Festival”. We will go back to the show (Hungary loves it too) but looks like first time we must to get rid of to our dictator.

Dawidek
Dawidek
1 year ago

Now chose Totova internaly and it ll be perfect ?

Sasko
Sasko
Reply to  Dawidek

They must have withdrawn tbh. They usually confirm their participation in late September/early October and after this A Dal news it looks very unlikely that they are in.

klaudiana
klaudiana
Reply to  Dawidek

She is pregnant and will have her baby in the next couple of weeks. So she will definitely not go to Rotterdam.

Thomas
Thomas
1 year ago

Everytime Hungary didn’t do well in the contest they withdraw…

WannaEatMySpaghetti
WannaEatMySpaghetti
1 year ago

People saying Hungarian are bad losers… grow up. For the moment the only one thing we know is that A Dal won’t serve as eurovision national final. Perhaps they won’t take part in the contest this year but we absolutely don’t know.

Sand
Sand
1 year ago

We don’t say that they are bad losers because that A dal thing. We say it when we see their bitter comments that they are so offended that they didn’t qualify and start to write mad comments about other qualifiers (in that case San Marino and Estonia which the public cleaely preferred to qualify over Hungary). So please read our comments more carefully next time

WannaEatMySpaghetti
WannaEatMySpaghetti
Reply to  Sand

Some comments clearly don’t say that. Good for you if you’re not one of those 😉 And there are bad losers with bitter comments everywhere. It’s sad but they’re not as many as the good losers.

PS: tbh, I can understand they felt offended to fail to qualify when San Marino did with that old fashioned song and bad singer (still a nice guy though). It’s the game and public made that choice. It doesn’t mean it’s the more logical.

Theo
Theo

But Hungary gave 12 televote points to San Marino in SF1

Veta
Veta
1 year ago

It’s really sad. A Dal was my favourite national selection by far. It was without a doubt an example to take for all the other selections for many reasons. I dunno what was on the minds of the ppl who took this decision. If it’s because of last year’s non-qualification, I think it’s kinda stupid, sorry. A Dal brought Hungary 8 out of 9 qualifications. It was working perfectly. There was no reason to drop it. If Hungary withdraws at all, it would be a huge loss for Eurovision. It was one of my favourite countries there as well. One… Read more »

Azaad
Azaad
1 year ago

Hungary withdrawing would make me respect Latvia and North Macedonia for competing through six consecutive non qualifications.

Ben
Ben
Reply to  Azaad

The Netherlands missed the finals for EIGHT ( 2005-2012) years in a row. But instead of giving up they came back strong in 2013 and look, they are about to host the next edition. (:

Azaad
Azaad
Reply to  Ben

Exactly. I should have included The Netherlands in my comment.

Sun
Sun

BYE.
But why did they get so offended for just one non-qualifier in this decade?

Indiana07
Indiana07
Reply to  Sun

Bad losers and high hopes

DavidR
DavidR
1 year ago

I think they are out. They would have already made an announcement if they just changed their selection method. They didn’t seem that enthusiastic about the contest anyway and the viewing figures kept decreasing every year. It’s like they were waiting for a NQ to finally pull out.

srulik
srulik
1 year ago

I love Hungary but they are out of the contest. I hope I’m wrong.

Indiana07
Indiana07
Reply to  srulik

I hope you’re right

Hun
Hun
Reply to  Indiana07

Choke on a tomato..

Motzkie
Motzkie
1 year ago

Wasn’t Hungary 2011 also internally selected??? So what?

MyName
MyName
Reply to  Motzkie

Last time I disliked a Hungarian entry

MyName
MyName
1 year ago

A pity they won’t use A Dal as their NF next year. My favourite NF of the season. So much musical diversity, and the songs usually sound very “honest”. Hopefully it will be back as an NF in 2021

And of course – I really hope they will stay in the contest. Indeed one of my favourite ESC-countries. You can always rely on their musical diversity

Veta
Veta
Reply to  MyName

Absolutely agree.

Roy Moreno
Roy Moreno
1 year ago

That’s it? One NQ and they abandon their NF?
I hope they will compete next year, they always bring us good entries

Livia
Livia
Reply to  Roy Moreno

Was that one non-qualification really that big of a shock for them?

Roy Moreno
Roy Moreno
Reply to  Livia

Apparently
I mean, Joci did get a top 10 result in 2017, perhaps they expected something similar or at least a qualification :\

1 year ago

I hope so…a good internal selection wouldn’t be a bad idea…

Žutokljunac
Žutokljunac
1 year ago

Hungary is my favorite country at Eurovision

Reply to  Žutokljunac

Mine too, I sooooooooooooo hope they won’t withdraw…
I love most of their ESC songs and I like many of their A Dal stuff… ??

Karlan
Karlan
1 year ago

Hungary was very offended for non-qualification Joci to the finals(
Internal choices need to be given the opportunity for Leander Kills, I would like to.
It’s my opinion, stop the hate towards my comments.

Robyn Gallagher
Admin
Reply to  Karlan

Leander Kills was top-equal in the televote in its heat but missed out on making the semi-finals due to a low jury score. That’s what’s frustrating about A Dal.

1 year ago

Yep, even after 2018 one of my top two favorites in final (none of them won…second was Gergely Danielfy, who was 1st with juries), who got 0 pts from the jury in the final (and if there was only televoting, he might’ve won it IMO, his song reached – til now – around 22 mlns of views and he seems to have a large fan base in country, so…) said sth like “The national final, in the way when just four people from jury decide on majority of the results, is really unjust and because of that I ain’t gonna… Read more »

Cirb
Cirb
Reply to  Karlan

Of course it is very offensive that Serhat qualified over Joci with his horrible live vocals and extremely cheesy song. -_-

Reply to  Cirb

Don’t forget about Estonia and Victor, he may be a nice guy but he sang horribly and the song was meh… Like, what the heck?! ????????????????????

Indiana07
Indiana07
Reply to  #pioneer

Hungary 2019 was boring. San Marino and Estonia weren’t very good either but still better

Serpent
Serpent
Reply to  Indiana07

Yes, and a song doesn’t have to qualify JUST because it is in national language and has ethnic melodies.

Sand
Sand
Reply to  Serpent

I do not get why they made such a big deal out of their failure. The song was boring and nothing special and it didn’t qualify simply because it wasn’t good enough.
And yes, the televoters ranked Estonia and San Marino high so they deserved the final more. Get over it

Polegend Godgarina
Polegend Godgarina
Reply to  Cirb

y’all need to let it go, az en apam wasn’t an impactful song at all and it didn’t get thru to ppl

xohxoh
xohxoh
Reply to  Cirb

I also think Serhat’s qualification is offensive to other contestants, however this is a contest and you never know who people will vote for. So…

MyName
MyName
Reply to  Karlan

YAY for Leander Kills in ESC 2020 🙂

Loin dici
1 year ago

What is still unclear is whether or doing it like Italy 2011-2013 where they would possibly select an A Dal 2020 performer internally. Since Hungary themselves haven’t confirmed nor denied the withdrawal allegation, I believe this is possible.

Loin dici
Reply to  Loin dici

*whether or not MTVA is doing it like

Tusán
Reply to  Loin dici

They won’t pick anyone from A Dal, so let’s just be done with that part. But they can still select someone internally.

Reply to  Tusán

Or someone from A Dal (might not be a winning singer, but who knows) with a song which isn’t against the release rules for ESC could be announced as winner…

Tusán
Reply to  #pioneer

OMG you guys need to let this go now. A Dal is not a Eurovision event anymore. Deal with it.

1 year ago

I hope Hungary doesn’t withdraw, but I don’t think an internal selection was necessary there. A Dal had lots of great entries, they should just revamp the format and get rid of the superpowers of that jury.

Reply to  Sabrina

Yep, there should’ve been a real 50/50, not “the juries superpower”, even one of my top faves in 2018 (who got then 0 pts from the jury) said he won’t try again going to ESC because he thinks NF in such shape, when only four people in the jury have most of the influence on results, is so unjust… And he’s kinda right about it…

1 year ago

A Dal was a horrible format that wasted one of the richest talent pools in Europe. It basically worked as four judges (some of which are incredibly out of touch with modern music) taking 30 songs and putting 4 forward to a public vote. In the last five years, the best overall song never got into that final four…

Robyn Gallagher
Admin
Reply to  Briekimchi

It feels like a miracle that “Kedvesem” and “Running” made it to Eurovision!

Mr X
Mr X
1 year ago

“Kedvesem” ist one of my favourite entries in this decade at ESC.

Tusán
1 year ago

Glad you pointed it out. When Kedvesem won, you should have seen the jury’s face., they did not expect that at all. That was the only true victory the viewers had in the show’s run.

Reply to  Briekimchi

That’s true… 2019 – Gerg? Sz., 2018 – Meggyfa guy (really, 0 pts from jury?!)…
even if I don’t like Kedvesem (I find it way too sleepy), I can see why people like it…

1TruSeer
1TruSeer
1 year ago

Now it all makes sense. Stay tuned for Monday when Wiwi will have the exclusive news that Hungary has internally selected Aly Ryan.

Gorilla716
Gorilla716
1 year ago

It would be really ridiculous if Hungary withdrew simply because of one non-qualification. An internal selection would be a good idea for Hungary in my opinion since I’ve never been a fan of A Dal.

Andrew
Andrew
1 year ago

I doubt they are withdrawing, but I never really liked a Dal anyway so. I’d like to see them pick internally.

Reply to  Andrew

Hope you’re right.

Polegend Godgarina
Polegend Godgarina
1 year ago

good, as long as they participate anyway. a dal’s format is awful, with judges deciding 80% of the results.

I agree…

Robyn Gallagher
Admin
1 year ago

A Dal isn’t working as a national final. In 2018, the jury really didn’t want AWS to win but they did and were one of the most memorable acts in the ESC grand final. This year, the jury did their best to keep all the edgy acts out of the A Dal grand final. We ended up with “Az én apám” winning – a good song, but certainly not anywhere near the best that A Dal 2019 had to offer. I’m not confident that MTVA could do a better job internally selecting acts, but I’d like to see a revamped… Read more »

Tusán
1 year ago

Giving more power to the people is certainly not in the Hungarian government’s nature.

Roelof Meesters
Roelof Meesters
1 year ago

I’m currently praying that Hungary will participate in Eurovision, they are one of the most interesting participants and it would suck if they withdrew in the year the contest finally comes to The Netherlands. The only thing left is that they for some reason selected internally and don’t want to risk them not winning A Dal. However, I’m quite worried that the low ratings would be the reason for Hungary’s withdrawal, the A Dal ratings keep decreasing and decreasing and the Eurovision Grand Final ratings were low after Hungary failed to qualify. In short, I hope they stay.

BadWoolfGirl
BadWoolfGirl
1 year ago

In regards to lower Eurovision ratings, If Hungary didn’t make it to the final, what was the point of watching it? I don’t know what’s up. Will Hungary pursue internal selection or withdraw? We’ll have to see.

Gigii
Gigii
1 year ago

Looks like they are giving up on eurovision since A Dal was meant for esc, but I hope I am wrong..

Mr. Vanilla Bean
Mr. Vanilla Bean
1 year ago

How peculiar. I thought the sole purpose of A Dal was Eurovision. Maybe they have something up their sleeves that they want to send to Rotterdam at any cost, thus selecting it internally?