He was part of the Common Linnets at Eurovision 2014 and he returned as a solo artist in 2018. Now Dutch singer Waylon has revealed that he’s up for performing at the 2020 contest.

Despite famously falling out with his Common Linnets’ partner Ilse DeLange shortly after Eurovision 2014, he’s not completely against rejoining the group.

Common Linnets Reunion at Eurovision 2020?

You’ll recall that the Common Linnets placed second with “Calm After The Storm” in 2014. Waylon returned four years later, but only finished 18th with “Outlaw In ‘Em”.

Appearing on Beau van Erven Dorens’ talk show, Waylon opens up, *pun intended*, confessing that Eurovision still holds a special place in his heart. “I am of course a Eurovision fan. I did not participate twice for nothing’’, he joked.

However, the country crooner no longer performs “Calm After The Storm” — “Not because I don’t want it or because I don’t have the rights, but yeah, then you’ll stand there playing that song on your own. It simply doesn’t work.”

The Common Linnets for Eurovision 2020 interval?

But would he perform “Calm After The Storm” with Ilse in Rotterdam? Waylon is initially evasive.

After some nudging from the host, Waylon gives the idea more thought — “They should call first.” The host retorts, “But you can also call Ilse? And then say, let’s step up that number for old times’ sake again.”

Waylon emphasises that he has no say in the organisation for the 2020 event, although he would like to reprise the award-winning song contest hit on home soil. “Well, I would. Yes, of course. It is an honour to be able to do that for your country.”

It’s no secret that Waylon and Ilse didn’t get along during their Eurovision journey. Despite the successful collaboration, there was never a close bond between the pair. After Copenhagen, they broke contact because of their complex relationship. DeLange continued with The Common Linnets without Waylon. Her new Common Linnets partner is JB Meijers.

Are you hoping for a reunion between Waylon and Ilse DeLange? Do you think this is realistic? Let us know in the common.

Follow all of our The Netherlands Eurovision 2020 news.

Anita
Anita

They should do it for all our pleasure and in reminiscence of the special performance they created.

Why do they hate each other, anyway? I never knew.

An American ESC Fan
An American ESC Fan

Please don’t. I love Ilse and I love “Calm After the Storm” but it’s clear they hate each other. It wouldn’t end well for anyone. Have Ilse sing with Duncan or at least have her do something next year, but not this.

Mr. Vanilla Bean
Mr. Vanilla Bean

Excuse me, it ended in the best performance ever! They had already been having those problems back then.

Sinned
Sinned

Waylon is disgustingly arrogant and so full of himself, but actually only old dried up women like him. Nobody wants him on a eurovision stage ever again.

PuppetOnAString
Reply to  Sinned

Nobody? Speak for youself

Magpie
Magpie

I think it’s way too early for another Waylon appearance.

PuppetOnAString
Reply to  Magpie

It is for a interval act

Laburnum
Laburnum

Maybe if they do Switch Song again this year (which they totally should that was brilliant) they can have someone perform their version of Calm After The Storm, and either Waylon or Ilse can take part in that particular act, because honestly I do not see them working together again

Dawid
Dawid
Reply to  Laburnum

It was painful to watch due to lip syncing. I mean song switch.

Trash KAN
Trash KAN

I doubt he is that committed to collaborating again with Ilse. Give him a few more months.

Peter
Peter

Ilse said on Dutch TV a few years ago that working with Waylon had been one of the darkest periods in her life. No way she is going to do that again. And she doesnt have to. She can easily manage without him.

Reply to  Peter

Did she that specifically? I’m not sure. She said that time in her life, she didn’t narrow down all the blame to Waylon.

Mr. Vanilla Bean
Mr. Vanilla Bean

What a fun idea. Maybe they are so good together musically because there is so much friction between them. Now, someone just has to get Ilse to go for round two of, as she put it, the darkest or worst period of her life. It would be so much fun for everyone. Ilse should sacrifice herself for the greater good here.

Ben
Ben

Nope let her do it alone, she’s amazing

Roy Moreno
Roy Moreno

I don’t mind if they’re up for it
I would mostly like to see Anouk as she’s the one who basically changed the fortunes of The Netherlands at Eurovision, probably leading to Duncan’s victory
Ilse should definitely be there too as she was Duncan’s mentor
And obviously, previous Dutch winners ??
(I’m also open, pun intended as well, for some local artists who haven’t done Eurovision, just to showcase the country’s music industry)

PuppetOnAString
Reply to  Roy Moreno

There are enough performance chances. I would say bring Edsilia, Glennis, Ruth Jacott etc for a Eurovision medley. In semi intervals showing other music from NL

MyName
MyName

Should have won ESC 2014! Beautiful song, lovely performance. A big hit in many countries. They got LOTS of post ESC fame…touring succes, good record sales, many music prizes. For me the moral winners that year, and I know many people feel that way

Lisianthus
Lisianthus

I’m just gonna leave this here. I’m sure Ilse would lóve to perform again with a man who made that song about her. /sarcasm

If Ilse is in, I’m in. But I would bet she’ll perform with Duncan. Since Netherlands’ win wasn’t an isolated case, but part of a process of entries improving the country’s game year after year, it would be lovely to see a bunch of the last artists performing in Rotterdam.

Peter
Peter

Yes please! The theme is Open Up and it would be great if they can sing #calmafterthestorm together. Waylon was a big part of the common linnets. Just make music , Thats all that matters. And the song was so important for the Netherlands. This cannot be missing in Rotterdam

MyName
MyName
Reply to  Peter

Yep – music is what matters 🙂 ESC is a music festival

FYROM
FYROM

Waylon to represent netherlands in rotterdam! 🙂

MyName
MyName
Reply to  FYROM

Yes why not 🙂 Actually – he has sung my faovurite song of ESC TWICE…both 2014 and 2018 I liked Netherlands the most. I think country music can be very nice 🙂

Sara
Sara

Omg yass. I was pretty much introduced to (adult) ESC because of them. (Also because of Anouk but I haven’t really watched esc 2013) Have been an ESC fan ever since.

Polegend Godgarina
Polegend Godgarina

ilse delegend no longer wants to be associated with that clown

Gaga
Gaga

Hahahahahahah unfortunately it’s the truth

PuppetOnAString

I was gonna ask smth but then I saw your username and I figured it wouldn’t worth it to talk with you lol

James
James

Water under the bridge after the calm after the storm.