While some countries have ditched their national final and opted to internally select their entry for Eurovision 2020, Poland is doing the opposite. Broadcaster TVP has announced that it will revive the talent show Szansa na Sukces (A Chance For Success) to select its entry for Rotterdam.

The broadcaster confirmed the news this morning with a post on the official Szansa na Sukces Facebook page, where it shared the entry rules.

Regulamin post?powania konkursowego maj?cego na celu wy?onienie uczestnika Konkursu Piosenki Eurowizja 2020 w audycji Telewizji Polskiej „Szansa na Sukces. Eurowizja 2020”?

Posted by Szansa na sukces on Wednesday, January 1, 2020

The show will be run in the classic Szansa na Sukces format. Each week, around six or seven acts will compete in three semi-finals. Each semi will have a special guest and the contestants will cover a song from the guest’s back catalogue.

A three-person jury — expected to include Polish Eurovision stars — will vote on the performances. There will be no televote in the semi-finals. The three acts who have each won their semi-final will go through to the grand final.

At the live grand final, the three finalists will each perform a cover as well as an original song which will be their intended entry for Eurovision. The winner will be decided by a mix of jury vote and public televote.

If this format sounds familiar, it is! Last year, TVP revived Szansa na Sukces to use as the national selection for Poland’s Junior Eurovision 2019 act. Given that series winner Viki Gabor went on to win JESC with her song “Superhero”, it’s understandable that TVP would want to stick with a successful format.

Last month TVP Chairman Jacek Kurski praised Poland’s Junior Eurovision selection process. He hinted at using a similar format for also selecting their Eurovision act.

Poland’s Eurovision selection methods

Over Poland’s Eurovision history, TVP has alternated between national finals and internal selections.

The last national final used was Krajowe Eliminacje. It was held in 2010 and 2011, then again from 2016 to 2018.

Poland’s most recent Eurovision act — folk-rock vocal group Tulia — was internally selected by TVP. Neither Tulia nor Krajowe Eliminacje 2018 winner Gromee feat. Lukas Meijer qualified for the Eurovision grand final in their years.

Szansa na Sukces initially ran from 1992 to 2012 and was a popular Polish television show. The show was successfully revived last year in a junior format to select the Polish act for Junior Eurovision 2019.

Applications for Szansa na Sukces 2020 are currently open and will close on 13 January. The first semi-final is due to begin on 2 February.

What do you think? Will this help Poland duplicate their Junior Eurovision success? Which acts would you like to see enter? Tell us your thoughts below!

Read more Poland Eurovision 2020 news here

Malalinka
Malalinka

Michal Szpak, Cleo and Gromee will be the special guests for each audition. It’s official

Tom
Tom

Bring back Cleo pls

Malalinka
Malalinka
Reply to  Tom

It’s possible she will appear as the special guest and juror on one of the Episodes

Tom
Tom
Reply to  Malalinka

Back in ESC i thought (not as a jury), i dont care who will judge
I thought they will go via internal selection and choose Margaret 🙁

Guys you seem to be missing one point. The Broadcaster reserves the right to grant “Wild Cards” into the final round to some artists who didn’t even participate / audition for this talent show. So in practice there will be a bunch of “best amateurs” along with several well-known artists, all competing in the final round with their songs. The concept sounds a bit messy, but it may as well work very well. It gives a greater room for the unknown yet talented singers/songwriters, of which the best will compete against the established artists. Let’s see where this goes, but… Read more »

Fatima
Fatima

I’m getting a bit tired of all the talent shows feeding into the contest. It never used to be like this. I don’t think there has ever been such a dearth of established talent wanting to compete. Eurovision is gradually turning into one giant reality show.

Lulu

Gotta be a good idea as last couple of Polish entries have been poor but to be truthful not holding out for much hope they prove me wrong

KarmaLeon
KarmaLeon

To be clear : the song that will be selected will be , as for the JESC, written by a team or will it be the personnal song submitted by each contestant ????

Wojtek
Wojtek
Reply to  KarmaLeon

Most likely it will be a song written by some team, or just bought for this purpose. But u know, it’s TVP. We can never be sure what happen 😉

JusticeForMaruv
JusticeForMaruv

An opportunity for Clodie hopefully! 🙂

In the last six years, Poland have used a NF three times and internally selected three times, right?
I liked all of the internally selected songs and didn’t like any of the NF choices very much so as much as this is news, I can’t say it’s good.

Rasmus
Rasmus

I feel Poland will get disappointed later because they are used to vote for theirselfes in JESC in millions and win. ESC is not the same thing for Poland. Its more fair and i dont know if Poland are happy with those rules.

Tom
Tom
Reply to  Rasmus

Let’s hope viewers (not juries) will appreciate APPROPRIATELY Swedish song also this year. #LundvikFace

Rasmus
Rasmus
Reply to  Tom

I cant vote for Sweden and i dont think you shoukld vote for your own country. John was great. I dont get them who say John shoukd have been 20th. They only say it because its Sweden No top 5 for sure in my opinion with that live act:) I base my opinions on the live performances. Not countrys

Reply to  Rasmus

I didn’t look who wrote this comment and I knew it’s Rasmus after first sentence. Hello, how’s goin’?

RoboESC
RoboESC

Another chance for Aly Ryan!

Reply to  RoboESC

Actually, I’d love it just for meme, but she’d have to sing in polish and win semi with that. Unless there’s “a star” invited that actually has english songs, like Margaret.

Wojtek
Wojtek
Reply to  RoboESC

Not this time. Rules are, that only having polish citizenship u can take part in Szansa na sukces.

TheDrMistery
TheDrMistery

No established performers then… Let’s see. Fingers crossed.

James
James

So basically an expanded Krajowe Eliminacje.

Elnedeyer
Elnedeyer

Why they are just refusing to send a professional artist? And then they are whining about poor jury voting results.

Reply to  Elnedeyer

Poland always gets bad jury score, just in case of getting lots of it from “diaspora” that doesn’t even care about Eurovision. Professionals don’t want to end up low and get bunch of hate because of it, so they don’t apply at all.

Rasmus
Rasmus
Reply to  Dawid

Do you really a think a juror hears Poland every year and say: NO 0 points for you. haha i dont think so

Reply to  Dawid

@Dawid Frankly speaking you haven’t had a decent entry in years. It’s either some soulless average ballad or even sth worse like in 2018 and 2019. I mean let’s be honest, Poland just gets boosted SMS votes from the Poles living abroad.

Plus the jury ranked Poland’s 2019 JESC song high even with Viki’s below average live vocals. That means if they actually send a good song the jury will support them.

Reply to  Elnedeyer

Because no one known and professional in Poland wants to participate. Maybe in 2021 we will send Roksana W?giel

Erste Reihe beim ESC
Erste Reihe beim ESC
Reply to  Natalie

Roxie (Roksana) would burn down the venue …..that girl is really good – her album got gold status, her single “anyone I want to be” got platinum and her x-tour is sold out.

Rasmus
Rasmus
Reply to  Natalie

Poland cant vote for her in ESC like in JESC. I dont think she would win that easy without 30 millions poles voting like crazy for her like there is no tomorrow like a lot of poles did in JESC.

Kinga
Kinga
Reply to  Rasmus

Roksana got overall 150 k votes. Why do you think that Poles care so much about ESC? or JESC?

Polegend Godgarina
Polegend Godgarina

this format only attracts talent show rihjects, might be a good or a bad thing depending on the song the winner is given

Dawid

How many music talent shows are out there now? Voice of Poland. Anything else?

Polegend Godgarina
Polegend Godgarina
Reply to  Dawid

welp i guess we’re gonna see the cast of the voice of poland there

Stian F
Stian F

Horrible decision. Hate those type of concepts!!! 90% of them never produce anything good… Lena being the only great exception.

Reply to  Stian F

Superhero was good imo

Azaad
Azaad

Seems like it’ll probably beget another casting show alum.

GreenTea
GreenTea

It seems that our broadcaster wants to send a person who is completely unknown and unexperienced, but… not exactly. I suppose that they are going to encourage somebody from The Voice of Poland to participate in Szansa na Sukces. Maybe Alicja Szempli?ska (the latest winner), Daria Reczek or somebody else. For me it’s not important whether our representative is famous or not, because I only care about song and voice, but many people in Poland think that only well known person can achieve something at the Eurovision and attract a big audience to the show. I’m not super excited, but… Read more »

Rasmus
Rasmus
Reply to  GreenTea

If you are unknown with a great song you can win. Cascada and Bonnie Tyler was famous but with not so great songs so famous isnt everything. Netta wasnt famous

#pioneer
#pioneer
Reply to  Rasmus

@Rasmus: Duncan also wasn’t really famous, and he had a good song…

Skiwalko
Skiwalko

Though the format has its flaws (quite a lot of them in fact) and the one and only Wojciech Mann is no longer involved, I definitely prefer three professionally produced tracks performed by good singers (very likely including some past “Voice” contestants) over a weak NF like Krajowe Eliminacje 2018.

someoneanonymous
someoneanonymous

where can I find the regulament in pdf format or doc format or something in order to translate it?

Dawid

You mean regulations? Maybe don’t translate it .-. But I guess it’s somewhere on tvp.pl

Jjjhgf
Jjjhgf
Reply to  Dawid

I mean the rules . Where can i find them on english?

Skiwalko
Skiwalko

OK? “Szansa na sukces” is a TV show with a long tradition going all the way back to the early 90s. Many big names in Polish music industry started their career in this show – Kasia Cerkewicka, Kasia Stankiewicz, Anna Wyszkoni, Ewa Farna, as well as many stars you may already know as a Eurovision fan – Margaret, Natalia Szroeder or Justyna Steczkowska, who represented Poland at ESC 1995, one year after winning the final of “SnS”. However, much of the “Szansa…”‘s success came from the legendary host – Wojciech Mann, whose incredible charm and humor pretty much made the… Read more »

Skiwalko
Skiwalko
Reply to  Skiwalko

(my first comment got out of the filter limbo)

Tibor

I’m sceptical, I’m all for national finals, but I don’t like this casting show format. If someone is great at karaoke, it doesn’t mean, that they are capable of writing good songs. And I’m not a fan of the manufactured songs out of the Eurovision service factory that end up more or less everywhere. But you never know, every once in a while a real musical talent emerges from a talent show. I’ll try to keep an open mind.

Safiyaa
Safiyaa

There is. The demo that they have to submit is supposed to be the song that they would like to represent Poland with.

Dawid

I think at one point it was something like that, but look at Viki who won Junior version. There’re 3 people who wrote it for her.

Tibor

And that, in my opinion, is the problem. 🙂

Reply to  Tibor

People know this format already so I don’t think that someone who just can do karaoke would even participate.

Reply to  Dawid

I was being a little sarcastic, because of the cover songs.

yom124
yom124
Reply to  Tibor

I mean people liked Destination Eurovision in France a lot, which basically was the same thing.

Reply to  yom124

To be fair, I wasn’t one of them. 🙂

Reply to  Tibor

Who’s voting me down for this? I’m just being honest and giving a piece of relevant information. Jesus, folks, get a grip already.

Reply to  Tibor

Come on, you can do better than double digits for me stating the obvious. 🙂

Pedro
Pedro
Reply to  Tibor

Totally agree! The selection procedure (even though worked for JESC), leaves at ESC almost no room for independent musicians. The 3 finalists will only be chosen by the jury, which is a little far from transparent. I’m pretty sure there’ll be participants from any other previous talent shows trying to create 3 final decent songs produced by 3 different TVP-handpicked teams.
I’ll try to keep an open mind too, but in any case, leaves little room for originality.

Reply to  Pedro

We don’t need originality, We had that last year. We need strong song and qualification to the final. Also in a rules of Szansa na sukces TVP has an option to give one wild card to anybody, it doesn’t even need to be Szansa na sukces contestant

Reply to  Natalie

And the year before you had tediousness and blandness and that didn’t succeed, either. What does that tell you?

Reply to  Tibor

We also had amazing imo Junior Eururovision song chosen by Szansa na sukces. Give it a chance

Reply to  Natalie

Who said I won’t?

Erste Reihe beim ESC
Erste Reihe beim ESC
Reply to  Natalie

maybe Aly Ryan gets the wild card ………… smile

Reply to  Tibor

It will be probably written by the same writers as our Junior Eurovision entries

hallykon
hallykon
Reply to  Natalie

Is this supposed to be good news?

Reply to  hallykon

Music was awesome. Just change lyrics person

Reply to  hallykon

yes because they’re good writers

hallykon
hallykon
Reply to  Natalie

Good writers? Well, maybe for Kidz Bops. See, whenever I turn on the radio and hear a strikingly bland song with atrocious, almost senseless lyrics, I can’t help but wonder if it was written by Lanberry or Patryk Kumór. And surprise, surprise, I’m bang on the money, every single time. This isn’t JESC, a radio-friendly tune won’t do. You didn’t learn anything after 2018, did you?

Reply to  hallykon

Someone from Szansa na sukces will be a good signer tho unlike Lukas and Light me up was edm. Also staging was terrible. ESC loves radio friendly songs or ballads

Erste Reihe beim ESC
Erste Reihe beim ESC
Reply to  Natalie

and look what you got – 2 winners in 2018 and 2019 ………they should try to hold these songwriters … because they write awesome songs.

Dawid

I was hoping for some big shot to be selected internally but let’s be real. I hope it will get some attention at least so that we won’t be embarrassed if someone terrible wins. Not that I’m crazy excited about it

Loin dici

I can hear the catchy intro coming

Here it comes

Szansa szansa szan szansa szansa
Szansa szansa szan szansa szansa
Szansa na sukces (proot)

So, Poland and Israel will have a NF with songs presented at the very end. Well… I like the idea! Poland should have qualified last year, no doubt! I am really rooting for Poland and Portugal to knock it out of the park in 2020!

Safiya
Safiya

The thing that worries me a bit is the fact that the contestants are supposed to write their own songs because, as a Polish person, I see “Szansa na sukces” as a contest for amateurs but let’s hope that this edition will be different and we will get some good professional entries.

Yay

Campbell Grace
Campbell Grace

Good for Poland although I don’t get why in the final they need to perform a cover and then an original song why not just the original song by itself? They’ve already done covers in the semi finals.

x sasanka
x sasanka
Reply to  Campbell Grace

It’s just to save the overall show’s tradition

Loin dici
Reply to  Campbell Grace

Well, seems like that’s how the former Szansa na Sukces went.