Get ready for a musical buffet. Portugal’s broadcaster RTP has revealed all the artists who will be competing in Festival da Canção 2020. They have also released the full versions of the songs competing for a ticket to Rotterdam.

RTP introduced the 16 acts at an event today. Among the confirmed acts are Barbara Tinoco, Blasted (formerly known as Blasted Mechanism) and Throes + The Shine.

In November, RTP revealed the 16 composers who were invited to create an entry for Festival da Canção 2020. Some songwriters will perform their own songs, while others have written for another artist to sing.

The show hosts were also confirmed. The first semi-final will be presented by Tânia Ribas de Oliveira and Jorge Gabriel. The following week, the second semi will be presented by Sónia Araújo and José Carlos Malato. The grand final will be hosted by Eurovision 2020 host Filomena Cautela as well as Vasco Palmeirim. Inês Lopes Gonçalves will be the green room host.

Today’s press conference also confirmed that the town of Elvas will be the home of the grand final on March 7.

The semi-finals of Festival da Canção 2020 will take place on February 22 and 29 at RTP Headquarters in Lisbon.

Festival da Canção 2020 – Competing entries

• Bárbara Tinoco – “Passe-Partout”
  • Blasted – “Rebellion”
  • Cláudio Frank – “Quero-te Abraçar”
  • Dubio feat. +351 – “Cegueira”
  • Elisa – “Medo de Sentir”
  • Elisa Rodrigues – “Não Voltes Mais”
  • Filipe Sambado – “Gerbera Amarela do Sul”
  • Ian Mucznik – “O Dia de Amanhã”
  • JJaZZ – “Agora”
  • Jimmy P – “Abensonhado”
  • Judas – “Cubismo Enviesado”
  • Kady – “Diz Só”
  • Luiz Caracol & Gus Liberdade – “Dói-me o País”
  • MEERA – “Copo de Gin”
  • Tomás Luzia – “Mais Real Que O Amor”
  • Throes + The Shine – “Movimento”

What do you think? Which song do you think can win the national final? Who should Portugal send to Rotterdam? Tell us your thoughts below!

Read more Portugal Eurovision 2020 news here

trackback

[…] January, broadcaster RTP released the songs and now they have announced the panel of juries for both semi-finals. Among the members of this […]

James

Passe-partout it’s a amasing song. Totally different and with eight quality and the voice of Barbara it’s obviously fantastic.

LuísMR
LuísMR

BLASTED- REBELLION should win ;D

GLOBhmn
GLOBhmn

Y’all sleeping on Agora – JJaZZ, real fresh feel. Other than that song, I liked Cegueira and miss Kady’s song

Elsa
Elsa

I generally like FdC this year! Nothing has enraptured me like Conan last year, but look forward to seeing the festival!

Toffeenix
Toffeenix

I don’t really know what to think! My own favourite is Abensonhado, which I don’t think would be a qualifier without a good live, follwoed by Medo de Sentir (qualification, top of the right side), Passe-partout (which I honestly think could be a Horehronie) and Rebellion (if the live is done well, maybe a top 10?). The only other song that I think has any realistic chance of winning is Cegueira, which would probably finish near Medo de Sentir.

Hazridge
Hazridge

I think Barbara and Ian Mucznik are the biggest contenders, imo Ian has a (very) small edge over Barbara but if they pick one of those 2 they’re pretty much guaranteed a good result in Rotterdam.

Tom
Tom

These songs impressed me 😀 but my top 3 would be – ( 3- Throes/The Shine, 2 – Barbara, 1 – Blasted) I am happy that Portugal is not afraid doing experimentals things, and even Conan failed last year i think Portugal can bring different style to the contest …with Blasted cause its so different and i like it ….dont send boring ballad like often, even i used to like and still like Salvador, Claudia, Suzy, Filipa, Conan or Senora from 2008 ….1 semi is really strong, 2 semi is kind of open …Good luck 🙂 Bárbara Tinoco – “Passe-Partout”… Read more »

Well done RTP and artists. It should be a very interesting National Final. I look forward to seeing the creativity. 🙂
I don’t have a clear favourite for this, so I am open to be surprised this year.

joanina
joanina
Hyunwoo
Hyunwoo

Two Barboras
Barbora Mochowa and Bárbara Tinoco! Best sisters ever!

mzlondon
mzlondon

Loving Bárbara Tinoco – Passe-Partout!

Hyunwoo
Hyunwoo
Reply to  mzlondon

Love too!!

Liliane
Liliane
Reply to  mzlondon

She’s cute indeed but always the same kind entry from Portugal—
Blasted has more chance in eurovision in my opinion.

Doris
Doris

An english song for Portugal ? Blasphemy !! 2020 songs and artists designed so far are very weak. Most boring year so far.

emeej
emeej

If Rebellion is good live it is hands down the winner and could bring Portugal a top 10

Ashton
Ashton

Why is nobody talking about Cegueira? It’s amazing and my winner for sure.

Tom
Tom

Blasted is very good but it needs to be staged perfectly to have an impact so curious to see how that they will do this. Overall good selection for me. Portugal is going their own way and have quality songs. We need to appreciate it since a number of other countries have tons of pointless songs in their selection (Latvia, Lithouania I am talking to you?)

Polliu
Polliu

Rebellion is the clear choice but I still don’t know if general public will like this. This is not as unique and surprising as Iceland 2019 for me. But it’s different though.

L’oiseau
L’oiseau

Sorry but this year I am really disappointed with FdC. All the songs are underwhelming. The FdC doesn’t even begin to to represent the great diversity and creativity that the Portuguese music scene has right now. Even those that are doing great stuff like Filipe Sambado or Dino sent songs that have very little to sinto their usual stuff. It seems like there were not really trying. Blasted is completely outdated and I find it really poor. The only stand out by far is Barbara Tinoco with Passe Partout. However one has to understand the language to grasp it…

Miguel Lupi
Miguel Lupi
Reply to  L’oiseau

So in your opinion rock is outdated?

John
John

I would go for Blasted…But the chorus needs some improvement. Curious to see how they´ll stage it. This could reach far.

Moongaze
Moongaze

Re-editing my previous post… NU-METAL arriving to Eurovision???? REBELLION!!! Please Portugal, your language is so beautiful BUT, give this amazing song a chance and prove that, even in english, you send high quality different music genres…

Liliane
Liliane
Reply to  Moongaze

I totally agree

Moongaze
Moongaze

MEERA, Dubio and Barbara, great songs! If one of these wins, once again you escaped from the eurovision’s traditional mainstream plastic songs, Portugal. Bravo!

Ruben
Ruben

After reading a few comments, I came to the conclusion that Eurovision fans (or at least those who follow wiwiblogs) split the songs into just two music styles, slow songs (for those who they think are out-dated songs) and pop songs (for up-tempo songs, that are not even contemporary), and they’re full of hate that they can’t even appreciate the qualities even in those styles they least like. Eurovision should be about celebrating diversity, being receptive to difference, but I only see hate. We may not like certain things, but we can be polite in giving our opinion. In this… Read more »

Mandy
Mandy

Portugal is improving its national final every year, and we should consider that the current format of Fesfival da Cancao is only in the fourth season. The “Portuguese Renaissance” is alive and yielding better fruits than many favorite NFs… In addition, we can’t expect the country to have a Melfest at hand, because there are cultural differences that cannot be ruled out. But believe me, most songs may not fit the “Eurovision model” for many, but people are more likely to continue to appreciate most of the songs than 90% of what is being sent to other NFs.

Alaska
Alaska

Despite Bárbara and Elisa being my personal favourites (and apparently the favourites of many other eurofans in this forum), I must admit that Blasted is the only song/act that can stand a chance for Portugal this year. They’re also the most experienced musicians in the cut and know how to put on a show. They’re known in and outside Portugal for their extravagant concerts, with crazy outfits and s*** loads of pyro. Only Blasted can “convince” RTP of the importance of investing in an impactful staging, something that Portugal has never done imo. Also, I don’t believe that trying the… Read more »

hype
hype
Reply to  Alaska

I agree completely! I can alredy visualize the camera cuts on Blsted’s singer, total blackouts. Could really work well in eurovision.

Maria
Maria

I feel that nobody likes Portugal in Eurovision 🙁 It’s all because of Salvador’s speech. There are countries that have some songs worse than ours, but they are not treated the same way as we do (hate comments). At least respect our musical culture, please. If everyone sent the same, Eurovision would not be so interesting. I love this contest, but the fans can be very rude sometimes.
Share love guys <3 ( sorry for my english).

zana
zana
Reply to  Maria

infelizmente Portugal é o “odio de estimação” de muitos euro fãs , mesmo antes do discurso de Salvador, algo que nunca consegui entender….

Milan
Milan
Reply to  Maria

I don’t think there was anything wrong with Salvador’s speech. Congratulations and thanks to Portugal for giving us so many great songs particularly in the last few years.

Elfi
Elfi

So funny to see how people still has such a painfull wound in their ass from 2017 xD it’s crazy…u should seek help!!

So what i wanna know is, Wiwi team aka william and deban will we have to wait 2 months to have a reaction like last year?? :ppp please don’t do that, i think i will break the refresh button 🙂

LOVE TO ALL EUROFANS !! and let the games begin… 😉

EmmelieDarlineFrancescoFan
EmmelieDarlineFrancescoFan

Bárbara Tinoco – “Passe-Partout” is fun and playful – it’s probably the most likely in this selection to make an impact.
Elisa – “Medo de Sentir” isn’t bad either – she has a nice voice and the song goes somewhere.

Unfortunately, most of the other songs didn’t make much of an impression on me.

hype
hype

Rebellion gives me goosebumps. I hope it’ll be the one because it’s got great performnce potential.

bastian
bastian

Great selection Portugal! My favourites: Tomás Luzia – “Mais Real Que O Amor” (it’s already so underrated), Blasted and Barbara. I think Barbara could do top 5.

RoboESC
RoboESC

I’m sorry but Portugal’s win in 2017 was a lucky shot. This national final concept is obviously not working and whatever you personally think about the songs, everyone knows this selection has not a single contender for a win in 2020

Alaska
Alaska
Reply to  RoboESC

Festival da Canção’s new “concept” was not primarily created to give Portugal good results in Eurovision. It was created to bring music back to our national selection and make Portuguese people proud of their music scene. Also, make people proud of the song that is representing them on the Eurovision stage, regardless of results. Eradicating schlager composers (hey 2014, hey 2007…) from the list of invited artists, for example, was one of the wise decisions. Festival da Canção was losing audience year after year, ultimately turning into a national joke. The new “concept” corrected that; no more Homens da Luta.… Read more »

RoboESC
RoboESC
Reply to  Alaska

A nf concept should always be intended to win. Why bother to participate when you don’t want to win or even get a good result. Portugal will continue being a joke at Eurovision. It’s not fair to portugese Eurovision fans. If the concept is popular in Portugal itsef, great. Keep it. But use an other way to select the Eurovision entry.

James
Reply to  RoboESC

Try to study more about quality music and less about plastic one and after you can talk about. I-am not défend Portugal, i-am défend da quality music I have study music so sometimes we must talk about who we really know. Have a great day!

Milan
Milan
Reply to  Alaska

Well said!

James
Reply to  Milan

Really????

James
Reply to  RoboESC

I completely desagree with you. Portugal win with quality song, not luky my dear friend. Its a perfect song who really knows about music. Also great actors and musicians as maryl streep and others said it’s the best song they lesson in eurovision. Not the plastic way fast fois songs. And more this here i believe they can have a top 3 with Passe-partout, for example. And I can talk about music I have study classic music so I know something what i-am talking about. Robot take care and try to be more attentive to quality music.

JPR_05
JPR_05

Well, I kinda liked 3 songs. Blasted – “Rebellion”: This song is pretty cool but the chorus lacks strength or filling. They could’ve had a different approach. The slower parts are amazing, I like the sound and the incorporation of Portuguese traditional sounds and mixed them up with modern sounds. Bárbara Tinoco – “Passe-Partout”- This is a fun song tbh. It sounds like a french song or a song from a Pixar film and creates a lovely atmosphere. However, the lyrics are really the strong suit of the record… They are SPOT ON and give the song a snarky vibe.… Read more »

James
Reply to  JPR_05

Completectly agree with you.

Tania
Tania

Bárbara Tinoco – “Passe-Partout” – I’m in love :`)

quick listen and didn’t find anything interesting, maybe with a second try

Wolfik19857
Wolfik19857

My tpp 3
Bárbara Tinoco – “Passe-Partout”
Blasted – “Rebellion”
Cláudio Frank – “Quero-te Abraçar”

Wolfik19857
Wolfik19857
Reply to  Wolfik19857

Prefer and want to win Claudio Frank

Liliane
Liliane
Reply to  Wolfik19857

Blasted 1st

Rasmus
Rasmus

OMG. i listened to all 16 and i cant see any of them even close to qualifying in Rotterdam. sorry.

Bart
Bart
Reply to  Rasmus

Do you pay taxes in Portugal? No! Then please do not make express your opinions. Is that not what you say to all that dare to say that Melfest is bad?

Milan
Milan
Reply to  Bart

Shouldn’t we all be allowed to express our opinions regardless of where we pay our taxes!?

Bart
Bart
Reply to  Milan

Of course we are and I welcome that! I am just making this point because this Rasmus guy is always making that point about Sweden.

James
Reply to  Rasmus

Try to lessen more about quality music. No plastic one and you will find a amazing new world. Have a great day!

Héctor
Héctor

They sound very Portuguese/Brazilian as usual, at least they are modern. It still puzzles me how different is music in Spain and Portugal, even if we are just a few km apart. I don’t think there’s a clear favourite or standout and last year was better, but this is my top: 1. Throes + The Shine – Movimento (6.75) 2. Blasted – Rebellion (6.75) 3. Elisa – Medo de Sentir (6.5) 4. Jimmy P – Abensonhado (6.25) 5. JJaZZ – Agora (6.25) 6. Bárbara Tinoco – Passe-Partout (6) 7. Dubio feat. +351 – Cegueira (6) 8. Judas – Cubismo Enviesado… Read more »

ESC LOU
ESC LOU

My favourites are Rebellion and Não voltes mais, but Agora, Ceguiera, and Passe-Partout are also pretty good! This year’s selection is totally different to Portugal’s previous ones and i’m enjoying it 🙂

Mony
Mony

Festival of… Cocoa! All the songs are booooooring and old-fashioned, is this country in the 21th century? Musically speaking, they seem stuck in the 80’s….

Azevedo
Azevedo
Reply to  Mony

No, we are not! Musically speaking, even us don’t ear this in the radios, for example.
But you are right…RTP seems stuck in the 80’s.

Rasmus
Rasmus
Reply to  Azevedo

it would be nice with ONE pop or ballad banger in portuguese who is a instant wow. sadly there arent. Its very 70s 80s sound almost all of them . i miss Catarina Pereira 🙁

Bart
Bart
Reply to  Rasmus

You are not entitled to any wishes as you are not a Portuguese taxpayer nor consume in Portugal. So shut up. This is want you say to all of us about your country

James
Reply to  Bart

Be polite please your education must pay taxes just for being more polite. My goodness the question its all about portuuse quality song and not plastic pop songs? Easyer there are diversity and space for all but not for impolite people. OK?

hype
hype
Reply to  Azevedo

Don’t be silly, RTP didn’t compose the songs.

Moongaze
Moongaze
Reply to  Mony

Musically speaking, it is clear what a music connaisseur you are lolololol

James
Reply to  Mony

My goodness how people knows about music… Its amasing, rebellion and passe-partout eighties? And if people know more about quality music and less about plastic one ok they can express them opinion. But unfortunately people talk about fast food songs, very pop one all years the same, nothing different. Of course when Salvador wins I 2017 he makes all the difference. Its because people like maryel streep and influent people around the world said its the best eurovision entry ever.

bryan soullier
bryan soullier

Le Portugal veux pas gagner mais la demis finale les convient

bryan soullier
bryan soullier

Déçu des chansons cette année mais bon barbara relève le niveau avec elisa . Le reste non merci

ESCFanGA
ESCFanGA

I think Rebellion could win Festival da Cancao and make the Eurovision grand final if it has some epic Hatari-style staging to go along with it. Although the fact that the song is in English and not Portuguese could hurt its chances.

Wow, that’s a mighty fine selection. IMO all songs are good. My favorite is Kady – “Diz Só”, she’s got a beautiful, fresh voice, she sounds so confident. I also love Cláudio Frank – “Quero-te Abraçar”, though the sound sounds LOL quite American to me, which is a no-no for me personally in Eurovision. And I enjoyed JJaZZ – “Agora” quite a lot.

ESC_FuegoReplay
ESC_FuegoReplay

My top three: Copo de Gin, Ceguira and Diz Só!
I usually dislike the Portuguese entries except Suzy in 2014. Last year didn’t do it for me but this year I love quite a few songs. Let’s go Portugal! Also adore Medo de Sentir and Passe-Portout 🙂

Lulu

What a load of crap getting fed up of all this stupid so called music [email protected]

Étoile
Étoile

My favourite songs: passe-partout, rebellion, medo de sentir, movimento and diz só. Good selection, good luck Portugal. :3

James
Reply to  Étoile

Vraiment !

Megxit
Megxit

Tamanha parvoíce

Oi Portugal! Hello! I was so surprised to hear English. Totally unexpected. You do you Portugal! Good to see a change. Awesome selection and a lot of variety and genres. I only heard the songs once, some in part because I skipped and some in full. My favourites so far: Dubio feat. +351 in the first place. Claudio Franck would be second. I liked two more songs but I can’t make them out of this alphabetical list. They were through the second half of the youtube playlist. And I think I liked the first song too, was it Rebellion? Rockish.… Read more »

Jay
Jay

Overall ok, if a bit underwhelming that again it is mostly slow type songs and none are really up tempo again, it’s almost like Portugal cannot do up tempo music? Which simply is not true, but seems no one is willing to try There are some ok and some good songs and about half are just there to make up numbers. There is not a really stand out one that I think says Eurovision winner among the songs. But there are some worthy of going to Eurovision. One of these three will likely win this and represent Portugal I think:… Read more »

I’ll never stop praising Portugal for playing their own game and not trying to come up with “songs that would do well in Eurovision”. It’s another good selection and this time a more diverse one (nobody can complain about excess of ballads). I see 3 entries that would make the country stand out in Rotterdam (Bárbara, Blasted and Throes + The Shine) and one that’s more conventional but very well done (Elisa). My personal favorites: Bárbara: Cute and fun, charming lyrics and vocals, it’s like a song from a Pixar french-themed movie. There’s an audience for that. Elisa: Well written,… Read more »

Rijad
Rijad

Elisa – Medo de sentir is absolutely beautiful and my favorite! With good staging most of these song could make it to the final!