The Next Star for Eurovision — Israel’s artist selection for Eurovision 2020 — finally has the end within sight. After a staggering 33 episodes, the nine qualifiers to the quarter-final faced one last elimination before the semis. The nine acts were divided into three groups of three, performing one after the other. The artist who got the lowest score of the nine singers faced elimination.
The Next Star for Eurovision – Quarter-finals
Quarter-final 1 results
- Lali Kolishkin – “Girl on Fire” (87%) – First overall
2. Eden Alene – “Yekhefa” (78%) – Fourth overall
3. Loai Ali – “Ya Mama” (55%) – Ninth overall, eliminated
Quarter-final 2 results
- Orr Amrami-Brockman – “Aluf Ha’Olam” (77%) – Fifth overall
2. Moran Aharoni – “Love on Top” (68%) – Seventh overall
3. Raviv Kaner – “Always” (67%) – Eighth overall
Quarter-final 3 results
- Gaya Shaki – “idontwannabeyouanymore” (85%) – Second overall
2. Ella Lee-Lahav – “Wild Enough” (83%) – Third overall
3. Ohad Shragai – “Pe Gadol” (69%) – Sixth overall
The three quarter-finals ended after one hour of performances and one hour of commercial breaks. Loai Ali, Raviv Kaner and Ohad Shragai lost their respective quarter-finals, but Ali had the lowest score by far. Because he only got 55%, the judges chose to eliminate him.
Notably, the bottom three of the quarter-final phase were all men, while the top four were all women. The semi-finals will take place on February 1, 2 and 3, with the grand final airing on Tuesday, February 4.
Who will qualify for the final?
Semi-final results often reflect the artists’ success in earlier stages. So, here are the different singers’ average result in episodes 20 to 33.
- Eden Alene (85.8%)
- Lali Kolishkin (84.8%)
- Gaya Shaki (83.0%)
- Ella Lee Lahav (80.7%)
- Moran Aharoni (80.2%)
- Orr Amrami-Brockman (78.5%)
- Raviv Kaner (68.2%)
- Ohad Shragai (66.0%)
The margin between sixth and seventh place is notable, but it’s very tight at the top. While the five women still in the contest make up the top five, the three remaining men are down at the bottom. However, it’s statistically unlikely that the top four will qualify for the grand final. No Next Star final has ever had a one-gender final.
If you want to take a trip down memory lane, all the performances from this season are available on Spotify! The different episodes are available as albums, and the judges and hosts’ voices are removed. To find them, just search for ” הכוכב הבא “.
Who do you think should qualify to the final? Who had the best performance in the quarter-finals? Let us know in the comments!