It’s the country that’s struggled at Eurovision for the past two years. But this afternoon, Poland took the first steps towards shaking things up with the semi-final one of Szansa na Sukces – Eurowizja 2020.
And out of seven acts, Kasia Dereń emerged on top.
Poland’s Szansa na Sukces – Eurowizja 2020 Semi-Final One Results
For Eurovision 2020, Poland is using the long-running Szansa na Sukces franchise to find its act and song for Rotterdam. The same approach landed them a victory at Junior Eurovision 2019.
Unlike traditional national finals, the early rounds see hopefuls perform covers.
Today, the show theme was ABBA Hits. Seven singers performed their interpretations of evergreen classics from the iconic Swedish band. After everyone was done, it was up to a panel of Eurovision veterans — Michal Szpak, Cleo and Gromee — to decide which one performer should progress to the final.
They opted for The Voice Poland star Kasia Dereń.
The full line-up was:
- Patryk Skoczyński “Gimme, Gimme, Gimme (A Man After Midnight)”
- Emilia Sanecka “Waterloo”
- Julia & Wiktoria Szlachta “Dancing Queen”
- Kasia Dereń “Mamma Mia”
- Amelia Andryszczyk “S.O.S”
- Sargis Davtyan “Voulez-vous”
- Maja Hyży “Knowing me, Knowing You”
The series continues next week with semi-final two — Eurovision hits.
Semi-final three will focus on The Beatles. It won’t be until the fourth and final episode of the series that we will get to hear the potential songs for Eurovision 2020.
Poll results: Who should win semi-final 1 of Poland’s Szansa na Sukces – Eurowizja 2020?
Kasia was also a pre-show favourite with our readers. Earlier this week we asked them to pick the acts which they were most excited for.
- Kasia Dereń 43.17% (351 votes)
- Maja Hyży 17.47% (142 votes)
- Patryk Skoczyński 13.65% (111 votes)
- Amelia Andryszczyk 8.73% (71 votes)
- Sargis Davtyan 7.01% (57 votes)
- Emilia Sanecka 6.77% (55 votes)
- Julia & Wiktoria Szlachta 3.2% (26 votes)
Total Votes: 813
Are you happy to Kasia progress? Could she win the whole thing? Let us know in the comments.