Perché Sanremo è Sanremo! After weeks of anxious waiting, on February 4 the Sanremo Music Festival 2020 has finally kicked off.

This year, Sanremo is giving audiences a glamorous atmosphere, tons of glitter and sequins and bombastic dynamic staging. With the use of augmented reality, the graphic aspect of the Festival has never been so modern and avant-garde!

The most loved and talked-about Italian program of the year delivered another amazing endless show. But it’s always worth it to watch.

The first live show — hosted by Amadeus with the support of Rosario Fiorello, Diletta Leotta and Rula Jebreal — started with the performances of half of the Nuove Proposte, the category dedicated to newcomers, judged by the demoscopic poll.

And these are the results: Tecla with “8 Marzo” and Leo Gassmann with “Vai bene così” will go to the semi-final on Friday night, while the band Eugenio in Via di Gioia with “Tsunami” and Fadi with “Due noi” have been eliminated.

During the first episode, we enjoyed special guest appearances from popstar Tiziano Ferro — who sang his personal rendition of Italian classics “Nel blu dipinto di blu” by Domenico Modugno and “Almeno tu nell’universo” by Mia Martini and his recent single “Accetto miracoli” — and Eurovision 2014 act Emma Marrone.

Emma performed her latest single “Stupida allegria” and a medley of her hits including Sanremo entries “Non è l’inferno” and “Arriverà”.

Sanremo veterans and Eurovision 1976 and 1985 acts Al Bano & Romina Power also took the stage. They sang a medley of their successes and a brand new song called “Raccogli l’attimo”.

Anyway, all of our attention has been focused on the main event for Eurovision fans: the original numbers. Half of the 24 contestants — the big names from which Italy’s Eurovision 2020 artist will be chosen — performed their entries to the viewers for the first time.

After almost five hours of songs, the provisional ranking based on the results of the demoscopic poll were revealed.

Sanremo 2020 first night

Demoscopic poll ranking

Click on song titles to watch the performance.

1. Le Vibrazioni with “Dov’è
  2. Elodie with “Andromeda
  3. Diodato with “Fai rumore
  4. Irene Grandi with “Finalmente io
  5. Marco Masini with “Il confronto
  6. Alberto Urso with “Il sole ad Est
  7. Raphael Gualazzi with “Carioca
  8. Anastasio with “Rosso di rabbia
  9. Achille Lauro with “Me ne frego
  10. Rita Pavone with “Niente (Resilienza 74)
  11. Riki with “Lo sappiamo entrambi
  12. Bugo e Morgan with “Sincero

How will the Sanremo winner be picked?

Voting during the five evenings will occur through different combinations of four methods:

• Public televoting, carried out via landline, mobile phone, the contest’s official mobile app, and online voting.
  • Press jury voting, expressed by accredited journalists that followed the competition from the Roof Hall at the Ariston Theatre.
  • demoscopic poll, composed by 300 music fans who voted from their homes via an electronic voting system managed by global market research and a consulting firm Ipsos.
  • Orchestra voting, resulting from points assigned by musicians and singers of the Sanremo Music Festival Orchestra.

The four voting systems will have a percentage weight so distributed:

• First and Second Evening: 100% demoscopic poll
  • Third Evening: 100% orchestra voting
  • Fourth Evening: 100% press jury voting
  • Fifth Evening: 34% public televoting; 33% press jury voting; 33% demoscopic poll

In the final part of the fifth evening, a new rank indicating the first three acts — determined by the percentage of votes obtained in this evening’s vote and those obtained in previous evenings — will be drawn up.

What do you think of the songs of Sanremo 2020? Who are you most excited for? Share your thoughts below!

Keep up to date with all our Sanremo news

Ashton Schier
Ashton Schier

oh my god Elodie’s song is so layered and good, it needs to win

Marcelo
Marcelo

10 million viewers for night one! Incredible! Joping the best for Italy!

Lourdes
Lourdes

I’m a but late with Sanremo this year, but I just listened to all the songs and I’d say that my winners are Diodato and Elodie. I also really liked the Pinguini Tattici Nucleari for some reason. Francesco Gabbani was great, but I loved his performance more than the song itself (although it was good, but I didn’t like it as much as the others I just mentioned).

Reply to  Lourdes

Your avatar is different, but I’m pretty sure you’re the same Lourdes, because we keep agreeing a lot. 😀 If you liked Pinguini, you should check a song called “Tsunami”, that was competing in the “nuova propposta” section. Many people were here suggesting they should have a chance in the main contest and I agree.

Lourdes
Lourdes
Reply to  Sabrina

Yes, it’s me! I made a mistake when I wrote my email address, so my avatar changed 😛 I’m glad that we agree again Sabrina and I can’t wait to read more of your thoughtful reviews this season. I’ll definitely listen to ‘Tsunami’! Thanks for the suggestion 🙂

So far I’m rooting for a Gabbani or Gualazzi comeback (they’re so charming!), but I agree with the people cheering on Elodie and Eden as well. It’s almost as though Sanremo has a stupidly strong selection and any number of songs could work for Eurovision. Never seen that before!

Frisian esc
Frisian esc

Just listened to eden. And i feel like i just heard the winner of eurovision 2020.

Reply to  Frisian esc

Yes,he’d be an option too.

I think Elodie and Diodato are the two acts that could keep Italy in the top 10 in Rotterdam. Andromeda is a hit, and her performance was piping hot. Fai rumore would also be a great choice. I’ll give a better try to the other entries tomorrow.

Tibor

My winner for this evening were the Pinguini, they are just great fun and full of energy. I also liked Rancore, although I wasn’t convinced by the rapping in the verses. Levante is an outstanding musician and I liked her song, but I fear it might not be impactful enough on first listen.

Reply to  Tibor

For Sanremo, she gets to perform it twice more, though, so I think it will get better and better – but for Rotterdam, yeah, you’re probably right – still, now having heard all the songs once, I think she’s gonna be my number one.

Michèle
Michèle

Really loved Francesco’s song tonight despite the endless wait! Well done from an Irish fan.

Side question – what time do Italians go to bed at?

Reply to  Jonas

I hope they give Tiziano Ferro a ride home, the guy is really devoted!

Reply to  Jonas

I was in the sanremo tag on tumblr and there were a lot of italians complaining about how difficult it was to continue staying up to watch the show. Everyone was so tired.

Lovely performance from Francesco Gabbani. He always seems to give his best at Sanremo.
The song might not be as interesting as some of the competition this year, but I still like it nevertheless. Definitely a contender.

Reply to  Purple Mask

It’s a cute song, Gabbani’s charisma does the heavy lifting.

Tibor

Okay, Rancore was cool, not quite in the flow during the verses, but very cool.

Rancore winner
Bye

Egyptian Spaghetti
Egyptian Spaghetti
Reply to  Alex

Finaly! Song with anti-American sentiment in Eurovision. 24 poits from Russia!!

Viceversa – I liked it. I wasn’t expecting another surefire winner like 2017, and we didn’t get one – but I definitely expect it to do very well. It’s not for Rotterdam, though.

Reply to  Jonas

Yeah I had a feeling when I heard the leak last night that he’s not in it to win it this time, but more so just trying to promote his upcoming album.

yep, I don’t think Esc is in sight either

Thanos
Thanos

Guys I am waiting for Gabbani!! But I am getting extremely tired!! Why is it so long every day???

Reply to  Thanos

Shouldn’t Thanos just be able to snap his finger and bring Gabbani on early? 😀 (N.B. That’s a superhero reference. Don’t worry if you don’t understand it.)

Gabbani is next. So far, I liked Levante and Pinguini Tattici Nucleari. Though I still prefer Elodie and Diodato.

Reply to  Sabrina

We’ll see, I’m starting to believe that we have tuned into a Zuccherò concert … I really liked him in the olden days, though, when he still wore smaller hats.

Reply to  Sabrina

Yep. Also, Matteo Faustini was cute, erm, I mean, skilful. 🙂 It’s not easy to keep alternating from untuned rap to tuned rap to singing.

Eduardo
Eduardo

Nothing catchy until now. Yesterday was great show and today I’m a little bit bored.

poe-tay-toe-chips

I know the second night’s not over yet, but Pinguini Tattici Nucleari is the most impressive to me so far tbh. I think they’ve got the full package already.

Levante did not disappoint. She has such star quality. I think maybe my new favourite, along with Andromeda. The audience could have applauded a bit more, c’mon, she gave her all in that performance.

Reply to  Jonas

It’s not the song with the most immediate impact that I’ve ever heard from her, but vocals and stage presence were flawless and really carried the performance. I’d say, well done!

Reply to  Jonas

I liked the beginning of it, but then it became boring…

Leanne
Leanne
Reply to  Jonas

I loved it and I love Levante, but unfortunately I can’t see it making an impact. Hopefully I will be proven wrong, it’s either her or Pinguini Tattici Nucleari for me so far.

Tibor

Oh boy, can we switch Elettra Lamborghini for Eugenio from the Nuove Proposte? This is like bad karaoke. Does she even sing, or are the backing vocalists doing all the work?
What is she famous for? Not singing, I guess.

Artyill
Artyill
Reply to  Tibor

Actually she is famous for twerking in autotune-pumped songs.

Reply to  Artyill

That I can easily imagine. 😉

Reply to  Tibor

What if I tell you she was a coach in the Italian The Voice? She got famous for participating in a lot of reality shows. Having all that in mind, I think it was somehow cute. She was clearly very happy to be there and even if she can’t really sing, she kept things simple. Plus she probably was the first person to twerk in Sanremo. 😀

Reply to  Sabrina

She was a coach on The Voice? That I have enormous difficulties to believe. But it’s true, she seemed happy and twerked her way to Sanremo, and that has to count for something, hasn’t it? 😀

Reply to  Tibor

Twerk it til you make it!

Marcelo
Marcelo
Reply to  Tibor

I known her for participating in the Latin American/Mexican version of Jersey Shore who had spin-offs in Europe. Elettra was in one of those spin-offs. She wanted to be known as Italy’s matadora. It was so funny!

oh boy, I got Andromeda stuck in my head the whole day :S

Reply to  Jo.

she and Diodato were the best last night

SunkistRayne
SunkistRayne

Okay, so many favs as I love the Italian language but my main favs are: Riki, Elodie, Anastasio, Achille, Rita, and Bugo e Morgan. The guy doing the sign language in “Dov’e” was awesome as well. I didn’t hate any song but these were my favorite ones of the first night.

The running order for tonight, for anyone interested…

PIERO PELÙ
JUNIOR CALLY
GIORDANA ANGI
MICHELLEZARRILLO

Reply to  Jonas

Very useful, thanks.

Andromeda video (UK access):
Note: There were issues accessing it earlier, but it seems fine now.

MisterMister
MisterMister

Diodato definitely got the best song, hope Italy will send him to Rotterdam!

Patrick
Patrick

Guys, Mahmood “only” provided the lyrics to Andromeda not the music!!!

Reply to  Patrick

But Dardust did, and since they often collaborate on Mahmood’s music, it’s understandable, that people get a Mahmood vibe from “Andromeda”.

Patrick
Patrick
Reply to  Tibor

Fair enough!

I love Carioca, but I don’t really want it for Rotterdam. The live element is what makes it, would it really be the same with all those backing musicians miming, not to mention Raphael banging away at a piano that makes no noise? It would lose its dignity.

Reply to  Jonas

If Eurovision was a live music contest, I would hands down pick him. But yeah, it wouldn’t be the same with playback. Anyway, still one of my favorites of the first night.

Reply to  Jonas

I was so hooked by that performance and yes, the lives element is what makes it.

Pierre

How nice to see a pro setup without the generic crap coming out of Scandinavia. Originial and worth watching.

Reply to  Pierre

Ya, that AND the orchestra. They managed to accommodate rock, opera etc, it was SO GOOD. #talentoitaliano

Tektek
Tektek
Reply to  Pierre

100% agree. Be careful to be downvoted to the pit by “them” though lol

Kris
Kris
Reply to  Pierre

Well why does one need to pull down some other thing to praise something ?

Reply to  Kris

Because its destroying the contest in my opinion. And unfortunately it’s beeing exported to the baltics and other countries. When i look back on scandinavian entries the past 10 years I can’t find a single example of an original tune with good lyrics. But perhaps I missed one. Ps I consider Robin, Sade, Rosso, Alexander, Måns as examples of what I mean. Strangely the juries should compensate for that but they only made it worse.

Kris
Kris
Reply to  Pierre

Well , I don’t know what you mean by original
Cause there are only so many chords

But I do consider “Spirit in the sky” , “,love is forever ” , “Hatrid mun Sigra” , “Too late for love ” to be musically diverse yes.

Their entries may be lacking character generally but not always .

Orchestra: I agree should be made optional for the country to choose if they want it or no.

That said I still don’t agree with pulling down one country/region to praise the other.

Reply to  Kris

If we only post positive comments nothing will change. And i do think its time to remove the scandinavian footmark on the competition. Wouldn’t you love to see fresh talents with a message instead of all these plastic songs.

Reply to  Kris

Ps. The icelandic song is original but Iceland does not belong to Scandinavia (Sw,No,De)
The rest are in my opinion forgetable and primitive songs with a single purpose of profit. Entertaining like Disney on ice but should never be revisited.

Johan
Johan
Reply to  Pierre

The orchestra gives a very old sound to new songs and all the songs in Italy are EXTREMELY long. So i cant agree. They are not bad but not great either. Average like your favourites in Scandinavia.

Wiwo
Wiwo
Reply to  Pierre

Rasmus is coming to get ya

Johan
Johan
Reply to  Wiwo

who?

Reply to  Johan

Its a vicious swedish dogbreed that is very loyal to its owner and attacks all non swedes.
😉

Reply to  Wiwo

I believe he is in day care until 5 pm. So hopefully he wont notice 🙂

MaxHightower
MaxHightower

My god, Italy, words cannot express how much I LOVE the Festival de San Remo, it’s just amazing.
My favs are Elodie, Raphael Gualazzi and Diodato.

Sucof
Sucof
Reply to  MaxHightower

The Great Openig of SANREMO 2020: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jWNsBtqlGkQ&t=114s

I was re-watching some performances and need to mention how great camera work was. Very effective.
And artists and songs always the focus as it should be

Reply to  Alex

Yes x million!

Mia
Mia
Reply to  Whisker

True, watching and listening was pleasure.

Reply to  Alex

I second that. And they were able to make it work for very different songs, from ballads to rap. The shot of the conductor vibing with Anastasio’s song was awesome.

Reply to  Sabrina

Yep. The whole camera work in Anastasio’s performance was amazing. It felt electric and magnetic

Mia
Mia

Elodie channelling Mahmood, you can tell he wrote the song, even his facial expressions and movements. That’s fine, but I wanna watch Elodie. It’s nice song tho.
I liked also Achille Lauro, Anastasio and classic San Remo – Le Vibrazioni, Diodato… Many good songs here as usual 🙂

Anastasio and Diodato were my favourites.
Elodie was good but I’m still not sure. It might grow on me.
I also really liked and enjoyed Gualazzi. He is always a pleasure.

Alain
Alain

I don’t think this is Italy’s year in ESC.

Dani.dan
Dani.dan

My favorite>>> Alberto Urso + Elodie

KESC
KESC

Elodie should win and go to Eurovision!!

Thomas
Thomas

Can someone explain why everyone is saying Elodie won’t win? Yall know something we don’t? Lol

Jeydelrey
Jeydelrey
Reply to  Thomas

Well I might be completely wrong but considering the controversy caused by Mahmood’s victory last year in Italy, they might go for something more traditional this year. And I’m pretty sure another guy will win this year again.

Thomas
Thomas
Reply to  Jeydelrey

Ah the controversy brought on by a xenophobic politician. Honestly its time for Italy to send a woman.

Nadors
Nadors
Reply to  Thomas

that happens roughly every other year 🙂

Jessey
Jessey

Elodie has post her video clip of andromeda and its not available in my country belguim what can I do?

dani
dani
Reply to  Jessey

use the browser extention and set it to italy: Hola Free VPN Proxy Unblocker

Jessey
Jessey
Reply to  dani

Thanks!

Bart
Bart

My favorite is Alberto Urso. What a great opera song and with strong emotionals feelings on the face of Alberto, love it!
Also love Tiziano Ferro, that song tells something, a story.
Edodie has also a great song, but i think she has not the voice to deliver it the best it can. I personally don’t prefer raw voices that sound bit like a smoking voice, raw. I like woman sing high, not that low. What do you think?

Reply to  Bart

Mine too! I wish it won already 🙂 It’s such a beautiful love song, musically and lyrically. I listen to it and I want to be the one he sings that song to. Granted, I understand the lyrics and I can also *see* it in my head, the sea, ships, lights, the sun. I want to be *in* the song. The orchestration is brilliant, those violins, I feel them in my heart. And his vocals are so good. His presence seems vulnerable, sensitive, confident and strong all at the same time. In case it goes to Eurovision it could probably… Read more »

Tektek
Tektek

As always Sanremo is serving. Andromeda is way better in live orchestra form, the studio version is rather sparse and too-clean(?) but still 10/12, ready to go

Kris
Kris

I don’t get this !!
If this is the exact ranking doesn’t it mean some of them can’t win now ???

Reply to  Kris

No, Sanremo voting is a complex piece of math.

GIOLO
GIOLO
Reply to  Kris

Last year, Mahmood placed 21st in the public vote in the first evening… so everything can happen…
Last night only demoscopic juries had their say, the other groups of voters will express their opinions in other evenings

Kris
Kris
Reply to  GIOLO

I know that but last year only the scores on the final night counted to decide the final winner and the earlier scorers were used for qualifiers ??? Isn’t it ???

This year they have decided to use a cumulative score

Johan
Johan
Reply to  GIOLO

21st. wow. That was very rare. I guess the italians vote diffrerent every night.

Reply to  GIOLO

What do you mean? Was the system different last year? This year there are 12 songs the first evening, another 12 the second evening. The public votes only the 5th evening.

Fan
Fan

Mahmood has written Elodie’s song.

Jeydelrey
Jeydelrey

I really enjoyed Diodato but my favorite from last night has to be Andromeda. Maybe it is because it was so different from the rest and it stood out in the middle of a couple similar songs. I’m pretty sure Elodie won’t win unfortunately but I can still listen to Andromeda so thank you for that! Fingers crossed a miracle happens and I can see her in Rotterdam. ?

Bob
Bob

Ciao Italia! It was a great first night for Sanremo 2020! So many beautiful songs! Marco Masini was my favourite, his song is incredibly beautiful but he as a performer is perhaps not for Eurovision. Raphael Gualazzi looked crazy but the performance was enjoyable! It made me so happy to see Raphael again, he is one of my favourite runner-ups at Eurovision ever. Elodie’s song sounded so much like Mahmood could have kept it for himself, I got major Mahmood-vibes which is a good thing 😉 I think she and Anastasio are probably the safest choices for Eurovision out of… Read more »

I’ve heard half of the songs. My likes are for: 1. Le Vibrazioni – Dov’e. 2. Anastasio – Rosso di rabbia. 3. Alberto Urso – Il sole ad est. Special mention to Raphael with Carioca.
The stage looks impressive. Augmented reality? Full orchestra? The standard is up up up in the sky. Gotta congratulate the organizers and everyone that works for that show to look and sound so amazing.

Per me il vincitore de la serata e Il sole ad est! Puoi, mi hanno piaciutto Fai rumore, Lo sappiamo entrambi, Carioca, Rosso di rabia, Dov’è, Il confronto. Le canzonne delle donne no mi hanno piascutto nulla.

Elodie and Mahmood can send a … f ar t and people will say it’s eurovision ready. Please send Andromeda, it seems big 5 likes last place in grand final.

Andrea
Andrea
Reply to  close

“Big 5 likes last place in grand final” when talking about Italy… LOL

Jessey
Jessey

Strong first night my faves are elodie anastastio and many others can’t wait for tonight!

Sucof
Sucof

RECORD best share result since 2005 ( and it’s only the first evening!) : The TV ratings and Auditel data of the first evening of the Sanremo 2020 Festival see Amadeus, Fiorello and their adventure companions Rula Jebreal and Diletta Leotta conquering 52.2% of share, beating the previous edition conducted by Claudio Baglioni. In detail, the debut of the seventieth edition of the Festival attracted 10,058,000 spectators, with 12,480,000 individuals listening and 51.24% in the first part and 5.698.000 and 56.22% in the second.

Reply to  Sucof

I hope ALL viewers and radio listeners paid attention to Rula Jebreal’s monologue. And thanks Sucof for the info.

Milla
Milla

What to people see in Andromeda? Complete mess of a song. Oh!It’s different! It will win Esc because of that. But is it listenable and for everyone? Hardly. Soldi was much better. Shame

Reply to  Milla

Nothing has been as good as Soldi so far. But it placed 2nd last year. That is a VERY high bar.

Tibor

That was a good start to Sanremo, although the elimination of Eugenio in the Nuove Proposte is unforgiveable, even if it was only by a margin of half a percentage point. As for the main contest, I stand by what I wrote last night, the remaining three acts didn’t change my mind. And after they unjustly overlooked Mahmood last year, the demoscopic jury this year placed Elodie second – I don’t understand why she’s behind Le Vibrazioni of all possible choices, but never mind. Achille Lauro is apparently too provocative for a part of the public, but I really liked… Read more »

Reply to  Tibor

I liked Achille Lauro’s song and I think it was the best sounding I’ve heard tonight….but the problem is though he’s not that good at singing….which is important…

Tibor

Well, that is what punk is all about, he’s not supposed to hit every note perfectly. I can see why this is not for everyone, but I would never criticize him for it, it’s just what he does. 🙂

Reply to  Tibor

I understand it’s about attitude first and foremost. But I feel most people would not understand that. If this somehow won though, I would not be mad. Whatever wins will likely grow on me regardless.

Tibor

Don’t get me wrong, I completely agree with you and don’t expect him to win (although you never know), but, yes, a lot of people don’t understand it, otherwise punk would be pointless. It’s not his vocal that’s bothering the old ladies and gents in the front row, that’s just a cover-up, it’s precisely his attitude that they don’t like. They want to be taken seriously, and he clearly doesn’t. I will always admire that.

Mia
Mia
Reply to  Tibor

Tbh I would be happy if Achille Lauro (“Achile idol immortale”, name of his album lol) win with his excellent pop-punk performance, people often forget that Eurovision is not The Voice. But we will see others.

Reply to  Mia

It’s a bit early to tell, if I’d be _happy_ (there are still 12 songs to come), but I’m certainly not against it. I just don’t count on it. He’d be doing great at Eurovision, though, that’s for sure, perhaps he wouldn’t win, but top 10 would be practically guaranteed.

Reply to  Tibor

Levante and PTN are on fourth and fifth tonight, so you should be able to go to bed early…

Reply to  Jonas

That’s a relief … Although last year I almost went to bed before the last performance, and then I didn’t and was completely flashed, because it was Mahmood. So I doubt, I will turn in early today, either.

Reply to  Jonas

But I sound like grandpa, don’t I … 😉

Tibor

That was a good start to Sanremo, although the elimination of Eugenio in the Nuove Propste is unforgiveable, even if it was only by a margin of half a percentage point. As for the main contest, I stand by what I wrote last night, the remaining three acts didn’t change my mind. And after they unjustly overlooked Mahmood last year, the demoscopic jury this year placed Elodie second – I don’t understand why she’s behind Le Vibrazioni of all possible choices, but never mind. Achille Lauro is apparently too provocative for a part of the public, but I really liked… Read more »