Last month, Tom Leeb was announced as France’s participant for Eurovision 2020. Now, the Parisian singer-songwriter’s song for Rotterdam has been made available on Apple Music in some countries ahead of the official release later today. We now know that Tom Leeb will perform “The Best in Me” at Eurovision 2020.

The song was composed by Thomas G:son and Peter Boström, who are perhaps best known for writing Loreen’s winning Eurovision song “Euphoria”. Meanwhile, the lyrics were written by Sweden’s Eurovision 2019 participant John Lundvik, France’s Eurovision 2016 act Amir, plus Tom Leeb and Léa Ivanne.

“The Best in Me” is a multi-lingual French-English power ballad. As with France’s previous internal selections in 2016 and 2017, the verses are in French while the chorus is in English. And as per any classic Eurovision power ballad, the song has a key change towards the end.

The official presentation of “The Best in Me” will take place at the Eiffel Tower this evening at the end of the TV show 20h30 le dimanche (20:30 on a Sunday).

The single is already available on Apple Music in some countries ahead of this official release.

France at Eurovision 2020

This year, French broadcaster France Télévisions radically changed its selection method by ditching national selection show Destination Eurovision in favour of a closed-door process. In this way for the first time, France 2 allowed both French and foreign songwriters to submit their songs.

As pointed out by the HoD, the song came first and not the singer.

After receiving more than one hundred songs written for France, the TV network convened several listening committees to pick the best entry.

Everyone agreed on the chosen song, with some describing it as love at first listen. Three of the main selection criteria were universality, emotion and capacity of the song to make the audience “live an experience”.

The listening committee included professionals from the music industry and France Télévision members. The delegation previously testified how magical the moment was when the artist and song first came together.

Who is Tom Leeb?

Tom Leeb is a singer-songwriter from Paris. He comes from a notable family of artists. His father is the well-known French comedian Michel Leeb and Tom’s sister Fanny is an established singer and star of The Voice 2013.

Tom is a man of many talents, having worked as is a singer, actor and also a comedian. He spent five years in New York, studying theatre, cinema, dance and singing.

He previously performed alongside his father in a theatrical adaption of Mrs Doubtfire. Tom has also made appearances on French television and has acted in films alongside established stars such as Jean Reno.

He also performs as a comedy duo with fellow funnyman Kevin Levy. As Kevin & Tom, the pair have a popular YouTube channel, including skits and songs. The videos are frequently very cheeky. One of his most recent is entitled, “How to hold an orgasm?”.

What do you make of Tom Leeb’s song? How do you think France will do at Eurovision 2020? Let us know in the comments below!

Read more France Eurovision news here

Rike
Rike

Of course you are entitled to your opinion and of course you can dislike the song or think the French delegation is arrogant. But please don’t over-generalize. I think it is unfair and over the top to say the French, meaning as I think, the whole country. So steady there. Dislike the song, but not the people.

NOTHING
NOTHING

Are they gonna regret get rid of their National final (one of the best) if this flop LOL

WillDoThisLater
WillDoThisLater

I hate to heap on this the mountain of negativity, but what the hell were they thinking?

Jessey
Jessey

Btw people saying this year is bad not at all a year ago around this time the quality was off pretty awful I mean every song that we have so far this year is quality we even have norway who could be a potential winner

OrangeVorty
OrangeVorty
Reply to  Jessey

Plus, I didn’t think you were allowed to show the Eiffel Tower sparkling at night on YouTube. I thought is was copyright infringement. (Just saying.)

Jessey
Jessey

I like the song personally quite a bit but common why John lundvik and gson this is just crazy they’e could do much better and destination eurovision is gone because this? Seriously. Song is good but sad to see such a good show go for something that’s not wow

OK France, I have just seen the official presentation. The showing of la Tour Eiffel was much, much, much better than the song. There we had France: a singer and the Eiffel Tower. I am not disappointed because I had not expected much but this was bad.
Queue a damage control meeting next morning after they will assess the feedback from viewers. Internationals included.

Daniel_2017
Daniel_2017

What could they do? It’s too late to change the song, isn’t it? 🙁

Reply to  Daniel_2017

Daniel, at a very superficial level: from what I, as a viewer and big fan know, countries confirm their final, final entry by the day when the heads of delegation meeting takes place. This can be the same original version, a revamped version or even change of language. I do not know of any country to have changed their released entry to a new one. I have no idea what France will do but I predict a revamp at most. Reputations are at stake so I can’t see a drastic change like a new song. They hyped the current one… Read more »

Danoples
Danoples

France changed their first released song in 2006.

Laurentiu
Laurentiu
Reply to  Daniel_2017

It’s true. But is it too late for love? I wanna know.

Reply to  Laurentiu

It is. The song is gone!

Geur
Geur

I cant believe France, a country with a beautiful music industry ( especially for ballads ) needed to buy T H I S from Sweden, thats a Melfest reject at best.

keith mawson
keith mawson
Reply to  Geur

Tom is a singer songwriter , wonder why he didn’t write his own authentic song ??????

Ricky Gervais
Ricky Gervais

16th of February and so far no songs that have ‘the winner’ written all over it. Open playing field at this point.

Zoli
Zoli
Reply to  Ricky Gervais

Norway has winner vibes!

Reply to  Ricky Gervais

Yeeees! Isn’t it exciting at best?

Grafton
Grafton
Reply to  Ricky Gervais

Sweden with Dotter could win it

Tibor
Tibor

I hope the results countries are going to achieve with songs like this will in the long run break the trend to internal selection of manufactured ESC clones. Please, if you absolutely have to go internal (and I will always argue against it), at least make an effort. You are taking up a spot in the final other countries have to compete for.

Magica
Magica

So you tell me that many people listened to The best in me and said yes thats a good song to compete?
Its completely colourless and its going to be awkward-cringey live, Im sure. What a waste of a nice artist

KarmaLeon
KarmaLeon

Is this a joke ?

Thomas
Thomas

I have a strong feeling the song that will win is an internal pick, something just makes me feel that the internal entries are more solid this year rather than NF.

jack
jack
Reply to  Thomas

It wont be France for sure

First row at ESC & JESC
First row at ESC & JESC
Reply to  jack

and I don’t think it will be my country Germany.

First row at ESC & JESC
First row at ESC & JESC

(continue posting) 5. Why not ask Emmy Liyana if she has a good song …….like “OK ou KO” ?

Jessey
Jessey

Yeah I was just thinking that she was about to release a new song I heard a snippet it was amazing I don’t get why they don’t choose her internally

First row at ESC & JESC
First row at ESC & JESC

(continue posting) 4. Why don’t they ask the songwriters of the songs from JESC ? “Jamais sans toi” performed by Angelina was very catchy and ended as runner up and even Carla with “Bim Bam Toi” had a catchy and outstanding song (ended 5th place) …….I don’t get it .

First row at ESC & JESC
First row at ESC & JESC

My thoughts on the french song : 1. Tom Leeb is a good singer 2. the song is sh*t (that is a fact) 3. Why for the hell did they drop the national selection “Destination Eurovision” that was good ……….to be continued.

Anywhere I can listen to the song without having Apple Music? I know it will be officially released in half an hour, but I’m curious (not in a good way, after reading a few comments here).

Reply to  Tibor

Thank you, Tibor! I was looking for it in Youtube but only could find reaction videos and updated personal rankings.

Tibor
Tibor
Reply to  Sabrina

And? What do you think?

Reply to  Tibor

Please tell me you’re trolling me and this isn’t the actual song!

Tibor
Tibor
Reply to  Sabrina

It’s what I found online, but in 5 more minutes, we’ll know for sure.

Reply to  Tibor

I see you two are sharing our general enthusiasm over this song. 🙂 ha ha ha

Reply to  Colin

Unfortunately, Tibor wasn’t being mean to me, it’s the actual song!

ps: I’m glad to hear that “Attention” is fighting for the 2nd place in your ranking, Colin!

Tibor
Tibor
Reply to  Sabrina

Since when am I being mean to anyone?

Reply to  Tibor

Just kidding, dear. 🙂 I knew it was the actual song, I was just trying to hope it wasn’t. Because… man, this is bad,

First row at ESC & JESC
First row at ESC & JESC

My thoughts on the french song …..see above because it is too long to post it in one comment.

Davve
Davve

Wow the bitterness amongst the fandom is as usually hilarious

Reply to  Davve

1. To each their own. 2. You’re confusing “bitterness” with “analytical”.

Thomas
Thomas

This is bad. Bad in the terms of songwriting, it lacks flavor if it were a spice it would be flour. I have no idea why larhe countries with a notable music scene go out of their country for a bland swedish song thats been laying on the table for 2 years. France was going in the right direction, fresh young talent. Now they are just dithering away by selecting the blandest of Swedish crap. I can tell the frech songwriters being Amir and Tom, were only there to translate the songs verses. I am so dissapointed. #bringbackdestinationeurovision Hopefully Belgium… Read more »

Sami
Sami

Btw why does Azerbaijan use swedish written songs year after year placing well while big five countries UK and France turn on Swedes to end up last on the scoreboard? It is just strange to me that Azerbaijan’s songs would often challenge for the victory at Melfest if they were there but Bigger Than Us and this sound exactly like something Sweden would reject. I mean they are paying a large portion of EBU’s bills and get a place in the final in return but at the same time they are paying less than Azerbaijan for their actual song in… Read more »

Bella
Bella
Reply to  Sami

The glory days of Azerbaijan are far gone. Except for last year, they haven’t cracked the top 10 since 2014 and even failed to qualify in 2018. Their method of using Melfest rejects as their entries doesn’t work. Also, it’s personal but even when they were doing well pre-2014, I never liked their entries. Soulless and no identity.

Davve
Davve
Reply to  Bella

Every year they placed good they used Swedish songwriters.

Thomas
Thomas
Reply to  Sami

Azerbaijan simply pays more an goes through a stronger vetting process. Think like how Switzerland chose Luca Hanni.

Luk
Luk

I am waiting for Poland song! !!!!

NickC
NickC

I feel like this is typical French knee jerk reaction to the original songs they sent not placing high as they hoped. They were on the right track, with fresh talent coming from all corners of Hexagon. And instead of reforming the process, voting procedure in particular, they fired all people with a vision, left the decision to a few select dinasours.. et viola. We have a disaster in our hands.

Kosey
Kosey
Reply to  NickC

I am not sure what violas have got to do with anything. I think it would have been the same result if they came up with a violin?

NickC
NickC
Reply to  Kosey

I meant voila. Phone autocorrected it

Marionette
Marionette

When France buys a Swedish song, Eurovision has officially died

Davve
Davve
Reply to  Marionette

Stop moaning

jack
jack
Reply to  Davve

stop being bitter bjorn

Angelika
Angelika

At least the song is better than ”Universo”….

Mr X
Mr X
Reply to  Angelika

No, “Universo” is so much better and especially in the musical style which was prefered by Blas himself.

Mr X
Mr X

Italy 9/10
Lithuania 8/10
Spain 7/10
Norway 7/10
Czech Republic 6/10
Latvia 5/10
Australia 3/10
Albania 2/10
France 1/10 – but only for his voice
Armenia 0/10

OhhHoney
OhhHoney

As soon as I read that France has opted for a song that had anything at all to do with Thomas G:son I knew it would be bottom 5 material.
That entry is tragique, which is French for “Tragic”.

Davve
Davve
Reply to  OhhHoney

You are not bitter at all

Dani
Dani

When will there be a rule that forbiddens foreign Songwriters already…
If it is a *song* contest after all that is as absurd as a national football team made of foreign players in Fifa world cup.

Nicolas
Nicolas

Seemone reviens !!

AndersP
AndersP

I can’t listen to it yet, but I’m not holding out much hope given the comments. Who in their right mind would pick a Jon Lundvik melfest reject track after that strategy worked so terribly for the UK just last year?

AndersP
AndersP
Reply to  AndersP

Just heard it… I wouldn’t be shocked if we hear the dreaded words during the public vote reveal, “I’m sorry France…”

Maclaren
Maclaren

Maybe it’s just me, but I find the whole of class 2020, revealed so far, rather unappealing and borderline mediocre. Even Sanremo, that usually excites and produces gems, failed to wet appetites. The Sanremo winner this year is fine, but nothing as special as what we enjoyed in the last three years. Melo is average, not sure whether top-5 is hiding there. Lithuania is a male WTF moment while Armenia is the female version of the same thing. Norway and Australia are shouty ladies with just ‘ok’ material. Czechia has a nice beat, but the song does not develop far.… Read more »

Mark dowd
Mark dowd
Reply to  Maclaren

I hope you don’t go to Amsterdam as ESC is in Rotterdam!

Emmanuel
Emmanuel
Reply to  Maclaren

Mark my words : the laughing stock of Europe, Moldova will be again in top 10, and rightfully so. Prison, Moldovita and My Wine can beat most of the songs chosen until now.

XxdanyxX
XxdanyxX
Reply to  Maclaren

I’m from Italy and I think we have a good shot for a top3 placement this year, but I completely agree with you…
Melodifestivalen is like 3/4 years that is so underwhelming. Norway is fine, but all the rest is complete trash to me. I think the Eurovision 2020 winner has not yet been revealed so far.

Reply to  Maclaren

So far I see 4 contenders for the Top 10: Czech Republic, Italy and Lithuania (very strong contenders) and Norway. The others are just…there.

Joseph
Joseph
Reply to  Maclaren

Albania is just a shouty diva very boring

Mr X
Mr X
Reply to  Joseph

I fear that in english verison it will sound like forgettable…

All Wei
All Wei
Reply to  Maclaren

Its in Rotterdam, btw

Tara
Tara
Reply to  Maclaren

2019 wins so far.

Roo
Roo
Reply to  Maclaren

We will hear Belgium soon…

Film
Film
Reply to  Maclaren

Im pretty happy with the songs so far. Last year same time i liked only 1 or 2 songs out of 8.

Mia
Mia
Reply to  Film

Damn, you must be fun at parties, always complaining. I like most of the songs so far. Not that I crazy about them, but they are not trash either.

Andreu
Andreu

Correction blame France 2. Don’t blame a whole country, when most of us were just as blind-sided

Pancake
Pancake

Is it too late for them to change their minds and just ask Lizzo and Laurell Baker to write them a song instead?

Reply to  Pancake

Hang on, we don’t know Germany’s entry yet. Maybe LB writes for them again. Or the UK. The usual suspects … Australia made the cross over to Cyprus. Anything can happen xx

Rainer1
Rainer1

Horrible. Sorry, la suede ähm…la france

Grafton
Grafton

It is so bad. As a French, I apologize for this entry. I absolutely LOVED every of our 4 last entries for various reasons : J’ai Cherché because of the song and Amir’s likability, Requiem because of the vibe and Alma’s loveliness, Mercy because of the powerful message and the emotions, Roi because of Bilal’s unique personality and a fantastic revamp and staging… But this ? Wtf ? Bye. Bring back destination eurovision.

Reply to  Grafton

Yep. France did very well four years in a row. And it’s not Sweden or Italy. We shall wait and see how the new experiments of this year will work out in Rotterdam. Off the top of my head: France (no selection, Swedish writers), Romania (songs for selection composed by writers from a big music label with a handpicked singer), the UK – still too little information but different from the last years, Belgium with an internal selection of one of the biggest names in music in the world (see France 2009, the UK 2011, the Netherlands 2013). The rest… Read more »

Idan Cohen
Idan Cohen

I don’t understand it. this is as sh*tty as Australia and Norway but nobody seems to pick on them.

All of them (France, Norway, Australia) are bad, cliche, archaic and just boring.

Polliu
Polliu
Reply to  Idan Cohen

You should get your ears checked.

Giles
Giles

Disappointed is far from translating how I feel after listening to the song. What were they thinking when they picked the song ? I was expecting the best.I’m now preparing for a poor result.One question remains. Why didn’t they choose French songwriters to pen the song.Did they need help from Sweden ?It looks as if the French delegation thought « Let’ s use a winning formula with some experienced Eurovision royalties.I can’t accept that,thinking of all the talented artists we have. Anyway… I’m sure Tom Leeb is a good singer, he will be commited to the song and je will deliver… Read more »

Jennie
Jennie

To be honest, this song /might/ win if it comes with a good staging (I’m thinking of pyrotechnics here, or maybe rose petals falling to the stage at the ending – whichever actually works) and talented backing singers (please, no UK 2010-esque backing singers).

Otherwise, I’d say it can only break into the bottom of the Top 10 at the most.

(On a side note, it would have been better if the entire song were in French or at the very least, the first chorus is in French while they just leave the last two choruses in English)

MisterWT
MisterWT

I am French and I deny Tom Leeb. This song has no soul. Bring us back Destination Eurovision ! Or can Barbara Tinoco represent our country ? Her song sounds more French.

Mr X
Mr X
Reply to  MisterWT

Muito obrigado ! Barbara is my favourite in Portugal. I hope she wins.

Reply to  MisterWT

Good observation

esc1234
esc1234

If anyone from BBC/BMG is reading this: Dont you dare buy a melfest reject. Just dont.

Reply to  esc1234

I hope, for diversity sake, that UK might bring a female performer with something uptempo. Something like Legends or Sweet Lies, previous fan-favorites. I mean, if it’s a guy with a ballad and it’s good like Beautiful Lie or Looking Back, I’m all for it. However, regarding the choices other Big Five countries made, I think that UK would stand out so much with something like what I said.

esc1234
esc1234
Reply to  Colin

i agree. Eurovision is so popular because of the diverse acts. If 41 countries have similar radio friendly pop-ballads viewership will decline sooner than we think. Everything is needed, from Toy to Arcade.

Reply to  Colin

I’d really like to think the UK know better, seeing how badly they’ve done with Melfest rejects. Hope springs eternal. The bar couldn’t really be lower coming off a last place that under any other voting system wouldn’t have scored a single point.

Reply to  Joe

Joe, can you tell me what does “hope springs eternal” mean? I can’t make it out of the context you wrote it. Thanks 🙂

Heix
Heix
Reply to  Colin

Lol Colin, female performer with pop uptempo will really bring diversity in Eurovision ROFL. Hope they will choose something like Twenty One Pilots for example (when Czechia didnt make it with WAP) or something unique. Your idea is mediocre like all songs for 2020 so far.

Reply to  Heix

Well, that’s an opinion, Heix. You are free to think so. I agree that some of the songs aren’t exquisite, but at least Italy and Norway deserve more credit than that.
Anyway, I didn’t say that a woman with any uptempo song would be re-inventing the wheel in ESC. I only think that if done right, it would stand out among the songs Italy, Spain and France brought. I’m not even saying the best (that could likely stay Italy), but I’m saying different in that group.

Marseille
Marseille

This is all kinds of wrong, honestly. A Melfest reject song (let’s not kid ourselves, Christer obviously had right of first refusal) by infamous songwriters, a decent singer mostly notorious for his resemblance to Henry Cavill, a key change (!!!) and the English – chorus, French – verses formula that practically never works (J’ai cherche pulled it off because the song was originally written like that). I had hoped France would know better, at this point. Edoardo would never.

Reply to  Marseille

Only song with a key change so far. Key changes do not a good song make. Maybe that used to be common at Eurovision, but very few songs did it last year, and only one (Too Late for Love) got a decent result.

David
David
Reply to  Joe

Hatrid Mun Sigra (Hatari) also had a key change though 😀

Reply to  David

Oh true

Marseille
Marseille
Reply to  Joe

Key changes aren’t bad per se, I think this song is actually a little better for it (which goes to show how bland it is), but they’re very cliche and unoriginal. Practically a gimmick at Eurovision.

Maël
Maël

The only thing that makes this song sound French is its cheesiness.
The French would usually savour good cheese with a crusty baguette. But this, on the other hand, is just bland and tasteless. That is what happens when you try to make French cheese with Swedish milk. Welcome back in the bottom 5 France.

Henrikh Mugosa
Henrikh Mugosa
Reply to  Maël

Trying to make French cheese with Swedish milk! Best comment of the day! LMAOOO

Talentina Monetta
Talentina Monetta

The new HOD is completely clueless. She said that mixing French and English gives the song a “wow effect” and said that people will like the song because it sounds like Bryan Adams. A mess.

esc1234
esc1234

oh so she is THAT clueless…..

can’t deny we all got “wowed” and forgot all the other entries for a sec, but not in a good way ^^
so she’s technically right 😀

Because when I think good music, I think Bryan Adams. Especially when I think of good French music.

Escf
Escf
Reply to  Joe

Bryan Adams hahahaha

Daniel_2017
Daniel_2017

The woman knows that Bryan Adams was huge in the 90s, right?!

All Wei
All Wei

I even didnt understand what language he was singing with the first french lines. It had such a strong accent. Later I understood he was switching back and forward. No its a very uninspiring song, dated with very predictable elements. He is handsome and has a good voice, maybe that would save France from total Disaster in may!!?? Bonne Change

Polliu
Polliu

I just listened to it again. I can imagine Westlife sings it and that’s how dated it is.

Timi
Timi

I can’t stop thinking about the jewel you had last year in DE: Seemone. That was the right way, France…

Mr X
Mr X
Reply to  Timi

I absolutely agree !

Film
Film
Reply to  Timi

I remember how fake she was trying to cry.

Jake
Jake

The French press will have a field day with this. Bringing in Amir to translate verses in French does not make it French. I guess if we need to hear French music we have to wait until next Saturday for the Portuguese Semi 1.

Andres Mazariegos
Andres Mazariegos

France 2010, here we goooo…
Wait what? Are you telling me we aren’t travelling back in time to 2009? Isn’t this entry ESC 2009 winner? Omg for a brief second I thought we were back in the 2010s.

Yes, I just made a joke to ridiculize hot bad this song is.

France actually had a much better song in 2010. Very cheerful and cute.

Reply to  Colin

Now theres a song that should’ve made the top ten

Antonio
Antonio

Omg! What have you done France? After 4 years bringing us great songs like Mercy, Requiem, etc., and now you choose this INTERNALLY? It’s a completely shame because this looked promising and it seemed that they were ready to snatch the trophy.

I don’t know why they keeping trusting in G:son and Boström ‘cause after Euphoria there’s nothing interesting coming from them. Something similar about Lundvik… just watch UK 2019.

Jake
Jake

The Best in Sweden apparently. I love love love Melfest. I even sat through Mahombi singing that insipid Winners instead of watching MGP or Iceland or Lithuania. But this is a crime against French music and French songwriters. How do you bypass the great talent there for something generic as this. Even if this is inoffensive, it is by no means something that one should pass over every French songwriter for. And I guarantee that this was not composed for the French national selection and instead it was a song Christer passed on. Just like Bigger Than Us. This song… Read more »

GuyGuy
GuyGuy
Reply to  Jake

Well said!

All Wei
All Wei
Reply to  Jake

Other countries also have shopped in the swedish music fabric for ESC the recent years. So why not France?? Tho i have a feel the axis is turning and the foccus will be on another kind of musicality!! Wishing Tom all the best on ESC 2020!!

Jake
Jake
Reply to  All Wei

I think if smaller countries’ public broadcasters (tax funded) that have no major record labels want to export Swedish music instead of tapping into their own national talent then go for it. But a country like France—with the money and the talent and the history and the diversity and the population—want to go buy foreign music to represent them (and in an internal selection at that?!?!) then it’s a big FU to France basically.

Bart
Bart

🙁 bring back Edoardo Grassi and Destination Eurovision!