Last week she advanced to the final of Söngvakeppnin 2020.

And now IVA has announced – despite her initial choice to sing in English – she has now decided to stick with the Icelandic version.

Iceland’s national selection for Eurovision has long had an interesting approach to the language issue. In Söngvakeppnin, artists who wish to sing in English record their entries in both languages.

Then, they perform the Icelandic version in the semi-final, and choose which version they want to perform in the final.

RÚV’s official statement

An announcement from Icelandic broadcaster RÚV reveals that IVA has had a change of heart. The Dutch-Icelander originally decided to perform the English version, but eventually decided to go for the Icelandic one.

The Icelandic broadcaster’s statement says:

“The rules of the competition stipulate that on the final night, all the artists must perform in the language they intend to perform the song in the Eurovision Song Contest in Rotterdam.”

RUV adds:

“Previously, the authors of the song Oculis Videre, Iva Marín Adrichem and Richard Cameron, had decided to sing the song in English, but yesterday they asked the contest’s commission to sing the song in Icelandic. This is how it went. Therefore, two songs will be performed in Icelandic but three in English in Laugardalshöll on February 29.”

View this post on Instagram

Háskólabíó was jam packed with excitement tonight, when the second semi-final of Söngvakeppnin 2020 took place. Five acts battled for the two remaining spots in the finals on 29 February, and in the end, the public sent Ivá and Daði og Gagnamagnið onward to Laugardalshöll Arena. Last week, two vastly different acts made the cut. Metal band DIMMA and duet Ísold & Helga are on opposite sides when it comes to music genres, but in the spirit of Eurovision, the Icelandic public celebrated diversity and did so again tonight when IVA and Daði og Gagnamagnið were announced as qualifiers. RÚV also announced that Nína and “Echo” had received the jury wild card, and therefore we’ll see the magic number five again in Laugardalshöll in two weeks time. #iceland #songvakeppnin #esc2020 #eurovision #eurovision2020

A post shared by wiwibloggs (@wiwibloggs) on

About “Oculis Videre”

“Oculis Videre” by IVA was not only our readers’ favourite to win its respective Söngvakeppnin semi-final. It is also our Wiwi Jury’s first choice to win the whole selection. The song will participate in the Icelandic final next Saturday, against three other semi-final qualifiers and one wildcard.

Now that we know that IVA will be performing the song in Icelandic, the decision is receiving mixed reactions. While the original decision to sing in English saw negative responses online, the reaction to the new choice is just as polarising.

What do you think of IVA’s new decision? Do you think we’ll see the Icelandic-Latin “Oculis Videre” in Rotterdam? Speak your mind in the comments below!

Read more Iceland Eurovision 2020 news here

Francesca
Francesca

I really hope Iva run to Rotterdam 2020. Her song is magnificent, the atmosphere is magical and ethaerel. Eurovision needs this type of performance, I think it would add something to the show.
I really like dad’s song too, it’s fun and particular., but Oculis videre is a masterpiece!

BadWoolfGirl
BadWoolfGirl

It just occurred to me why momentum is moving from Iva to Dadi to represent Iceland at Eurovision–they want to compete with the Roop!

Dirkjan
Dirkjan

I really love her and I like the song honestly. However the interest and buzz Dadi is getting from the rest of Europe so far should be enough evidence it could do very well. Not saying Iva will not deliver, anything but, however if Iceland wants to win I would go with a song that lives outside of the Songvakeppnin. Needless to say very hard choice between those two.

Vangelis vt
Vangelis vt
Reply to  Dirkjan

There is no interest or buzz. There is just a fake Twitter campaign of celebrities, very obviously orchestrated by Netflix. Having them on board was never going to be a good idea.

Conde

Yasssssss !!!

astro
astro

Look, it’s an incredible song. But the performance was… leaving something to be desired. The backing vocals clashed so bad, the camera angles were odd and the general performance lacked the power that the song had. Think About Things NAILED the staging and the song is so fresh and replayable. ngl im happy with either but damn its close for me.

Ricky Gervais
Ricky Gervais

It has its magic, but it’s pretty boring. Plus the live strained vocals that just hurt my ears. It’s a no from me.

Peter KDVF
Peter KDVF

So IVA would sing in incredible Icelandic language instead? Wow! Perfect and it would be very fantastic and epic to see first ever Icelandic victory! 🙂 (Being the last Nordic to do so)

olwenesc
olwenesc

I’m just feeling this will go the same way as La Forza. All the hype and then a fizzle out of the running in the final with a good but not winning result. ‘Think About Things’ is so fresh, wonderfully absurd, and an absolute bop. I think Iva’s probably got this in the bag, and the song and message is gorgeous of course… but I’m hoping for Dadi to win this

Polliu
Polliu
Reply to  olwenesc

True. Nothing can beat Zero Gravity for me. These people just don’t know opera songs will never win the competition. If Kate and Italy 2015 couldn’t win, nothing will. Dadi is quirky in a really satisfying way. Hope he wins.

Robbert
Robbert
Reply to  Polliu

This is not opera, just the way The voice from 1996 wasn’t opera.

Robyn Gallagher
Admin

I’m a little disappointed that Iva is not using the English. That was the first version I heard and I was struck by the haunting message of the lyrics. It was cutting and tense, at odds with the music. Sending the Icelandic song to Rotterdam would mean having a song that sounds nice, but where the lyrical message isn’t understood by nearly as many viewers. But then, if Portugal sends Blasted Mechanism, they can fill that gap. Tbh, some people just like the sound of Icelandic. There was so much support for the Icelandic lyrics of Greta’s song in 2016… Read more »

Eurovision Poland
Eurovision Poland

Oculis Videre is something special. That gives me the same feeling like hatari last year. Either you hate it either you love it. This or Nína for Iceland in my opinion.

Angelika
Angelika

Best choice!

Thorbeta
Thorbeta

Keeping the song in Icelandic seems to be the right move, but the main issue for me is that they really have to do something with the staging. IVA is wonderful and keeping her in the dark for more than half of the song doesn’t help, while the whole camerawork needs to be upgraded and make this feel less static. In any case, I do think that ‘Oculis Videre’ is probably the right choice for Iceland this year.

esc1234
esc1234

off topic but i havent seen an article of Kris in wiwibloggs for a while, isnt he part of the team anymore? if so i will miss his reactions during eurovision 🙁

Robyn Gallagher
Admin
Reply to  esc1234

You mean Chris? He left last year, just after Tel Aviv. No drama – he just felt it was the right time to move on. 🙂

yodenman
yodenman

Really sorry to hear about that. He was a valuable member of the team. I really enjoyed listening to his comments. You say that he felt it was time to move on. I find that very strange. I know it’s not easy to attend finals or meet up with other members but surely it is possible to do the video links like before. One other thing why wasn’t this announced by William. Surely this is the very least that Chris deserves.

Mariko
Mariko
Reply to  yodenman

He’s still active on twitter though!

I wasn’t aware that Chris had left Wiwibloggs. I’ll miss him in the videos. Well, at least he left in good terms. 🙂

Reply to  Sabrina

Chris is @KatsJonouchi on Twitter. I don’t have a Twitter account any more so I can’t tweet him. But if you miss him, tweet him. 🙂
I have met him a few times in real life; All good times.

Reply to  Purple Mask

Since I’ve never spoken to him and haven’t used Twitter in a while, it would look creepy! Hahaha But I’ll try to go there and check his opinions from time to time. Cool beard, by the way.

Anita
Anita

Oh nooo! I didn’t know this either. He was one of my favourite reviewers if not the favourite of the reaction videos. I will miss him very much. It’s a pity that he didn’t say good buy via an article or something. At least we lived through many emotional Eurovision moments together with him. Take care Chris.

Juuseven
Juuseven

Hallelujah!

Kung Frederick 90
Kung Frederick 90

Hope to see Jon Henrik Fjällgren one day.

ME TOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Marionette
Marionette

Oculis Videre is brought to you live from Hell

Kung Frederick 90
Kung Frederick 90

I hope she will represent Iceland. Stop the English-vision.

Mr X
Mr X

Absolutely !

Karla
Karla

I dont want her representing Iceland

Reply to  Karla

Why?

Karla
Karla

I prefer Dadi, please dont send her Iceland

Somebody
Somebody

All the votes supporting her over Dadi is scaring me that she may be chosen over him. It’s us, the non-Icelandic people, will vote. And sorry, my vote definitely isn’t going to a song that I can’t connect where a pop-modern song Dadi has all the vibe to score Top 5 after Yohanna.

Make the right choice and don’t send us to our toilet break during contest, period. Now downvote as you like, lol.

Joshua
Joshua
Reply to  Somebody

What are you talking about? Dadi’s song is the worst of all 10 contestants, IVA is the only one who can bring Iceland to the top 10 and repeat Hatari’s success.

Somebody
Somebody
Reply to  Joshua

Keep dreaming until you face the inevitable reality when even Hatari scored as the 10th with such a great song. You won’t last a thing once televotes start to drop.

Mia
Mia
Reply to  Somebody

You keep dreaming, in the similar category of pop-quirky sounds, The Roop would eat your Dadi for breakfast.

Somebody
Somebody
Reply to  Mia

They face competition. It doesn’t mean the same genre cannot be in good placement both; both songs stand out very well. You speak as if you have never watched the contest, lol. The unfortunate condition, blindness, is how I can see IVA getting the support mainly because the song only resonates when you feel empathy with the artist, which is so non-cliche and beautiful, yet the songs lack authenticity where it could have given us Ukraine 2013 or Estonia 2018. It’s only the first part that sounds mysterious and it goes dull for the rest. If chosen, this will stand… Read more »

Mia
Mia
Reply to  Somebody

His song is definitely not the worst out of 10, he’s my close second after Iva, but I think she would stand out more.

Polegend Godgarina
Reply to  Mia

that tbh, dadi’s song is a forgettable version of the roop. he tries too hard but the effect isn’t the same.

Karla
Karla
Reply to  Somebody

I support you

Karla
Karla
Reply to  Somebody

Yes Dadi is also my favorite

Polegend Godgarina
Reply to  Somebody

these pretentious and deluded dadi stans need to stop already

Somebody
Somebody

Telling someone a stan because of artist’s song preference, while the name is literally copy-paste of ESC 2015 artist – another biased high score purely based on artist’s looks.

Hold your horses, mate.

My opinion is that the song works with any second language (but keep the latin, obviously): A song about how a blind person wishes others could see that they can change the world. It is an overwhelmingly moving concept. But further, to combine that message with such achingly beautiful music is extraordinary.

Reply to  Purple Mask

#achinglybeautiful

Ruth
Ruth

I don’t think that this song could win or be in the top 10.

Indiana07
Indiana07
Reply to  Ruth

Obviously it wouldn’t, it’s too simple + people need a little break from those female operatic entries for a while.

It's me boo
It's me boo

It’s just a little complain, but I hope she says the last words in English

Reply to  It's me boo

I am hoping that if Oculis Videre wins the national final, the Icelandic delegation will provide detailed information about the message of the song so the commentators can share the info to the first time viewers during the Eurovision semi and grand final.The message of the song is important and timely. So they know what “this is my message” is about.

Marseille
Marseille

Yes! Prayers answered. I have no idea if the Icelandic lyrics are good or not, but the first verse in English was very jarring and removed from the spirit of the song.

Joshua
Joshua
Reply to  Marseille

They’re pretty much the same. Some lines are almost a literal translation, some are a bit different, but the meaning remains the same.

Dave
Dave

I can’t possibly be the only one thinking this will be this year’s Conan Osiris (AKA a song that is led to victory mostly through the support of eurofans “convincing” juries to go their way, but ends up failing spectacularly in ESC).

Personally I’m still favoring Think About Things, but this is definitely shaping up as the one big battle of this NF season (think Bella vs. Linda in 2019)

Leenchen
Leenchen
Reply to  Dave

Eurofans LOVE this song and will instantly vote you down if you have a different opinion. You’re not the only one ?

Dave
Dave
Reply to  Leenchen

Because that worked amazingly for Elvana Gjata…

Kuhkatz
Kuhkatz

Surely a good song but I simply can’t connect.

The icelandic Version might help, but it is still an open race.

Rob
Rob

Bad either way

YES!!! Great news! If she wins, she will likely be my ESC winner of at least a top 3 song! Please, Iceland, don’t mess this up! 🙂

Kosey
Kosey

I am genuinely interested to know why people think Icelandic is better than English in this song? Half the song is in Latin anyway so we’re only talking about the verses. To my ear, Icelandic is a harder sound than English , which sounds softer. Is it that the harder sound resonates with the dark, gothic aspects to the song? Latin is quite soft so I don’t think it’s anything to do with matching the verses to the chorus. Is it because the meaning in Icelandic is more powerful? I doubt it because I bet hardly anyone on here has… Read more »

Reply to  Kosey

Yes, the chorus is in Latin and the English verses are beautiful too. It’s a winner song either way, but Icelandic verses add a dash of mystery to it. It’s song for an A in English, but it gets an A+ in Icelandic. Just my opinion.

Mr X
Mr X
Reply to  Colin

Described perfectly !

Isa
Isa
Reply to  Kosey

You are wrong. More than half of the song is in Icelandic. By the way, your paranoia is disturbing.

poe-tay-toe chips
poe-tay-toe chips
Reply to  Kosey

I prefer the English…in English I can understand the song’s message and meaning, which I think is really important. But in Icelandic I can’t and it sounds like any other opera song to me in a language I don’t know…also it’s harder to tell the icelandic and the latin apart.

ESCNils
ESCNils

In a world where internet does not exist I can see your point, but you can search the translation of the song whenever you want so…

keith mawson
keith mawson
Reply to  Kosey

I’m English and would love her to do this in Icelandic

Ria van de Velde
Ria van de Velde

This is a good dissension, I think !! Go for gold Iva !!! I love your song very much !!

Iandh
Iandh

Now, please rethink the staging and especially the lighting. They turned something ethereal and beautiful into a zombie , horror, nightmare. ?

Sebastián
Sebastián

Yes! I wanna see more languages this year, even more that almost all revealed songs have been in english

Camilo
Camilo

Icelandic language gives it a whole new vibe. It’s epic. In english it feels like another song of the bunch. Good choice! And let’s remember Hatari qualified for the final for the first time in four years with a song in Icelandic. Go Iva!!

Ashton Schier
Ashton Schier

oh thank god

Mia
Mia

Go Iva <3

poe-tay-toe chips
poe-tay-toe chips

Lol, figures the ONE time where my opinion is different from everyone else’s…

Heix
Heix

She wont win so who cares?

Matthew ESC
Matthew ESC

OMG YESSSSSSSSS ?

Fionn
Fionn

Amazing, Icelandic is so beautiful and I love the part at the end when she says something like “fehta irimi skilly bum” lmao

Nicky91
Nicky91
Reply to  Fionn

yes it is, winner confirmed, #Reykjavik2021

Lilja Karen
Lilja Karen
Reply to  Fionn

Þetta eru mín skilaboð, means this is my message

Reply to  Fionn

Well done!

Polegend Godgarina

the only correct choice! rooting for her so much, this is my favorite esc 2020 season song.

Nicky91
Nicky91

we need the message of Church, religion which can be heard in english version, more religion in eurovision pls

Tajikistan
Tajikistan
Reply to  Nicky91

As someone from a strict catholic country I’m gonna have to say no to that. Eurovision is a place without religion or politics, in deeply religious countries it’s a form of escape from it imo

keith mawson
keith mawson
Reply to  Nicky91

Er no thanks. I don’t see Iva’s song as religious. Reminds me of Dead can dance or Enigma. IVa ftw

Nicky91
Nicky91

shallow girl, silly to make up your mind because realizing you can’t win in english

disqualify her iceland

UmBv
UmBv
Reply to  Nicky91

Lmao the trolls on here are getting worse

Nicky91
Nicky91
Reply to  UmBv

i know, #TeamIva #Reykjavik2021 no one can top Oculus Videre, in this weak year winner of eurovision 2020 with 700 points

No One
No One
Reply to  Nicky91

So after soldi and arcade last year, this song is your brand new target for esc 2020… judging from those songs’ result, I guess oculis videre has a pretty high chance of winning the whole contest lol

Reply to  No One

I doubt there will be more medieval-choir-gothic-churchy artists or acts this year so Oculis Videre would stand out big BIG time.

Serafina
Serafina
Reply to  Nicky91

LOL the fuq? How is that a reason for disqualification? They still have plenty of time to rethink whatever they want about their entry. It’d be silly for her to keep it in English when literally everyone wants her to sing the Icelandic version (and it makes sense she’s listening to the fans, as the superfinal is entirely decided by televote)

Nicky91
Nicky91
Reply to  Serafina

it isn’t a reason for dq no, and i am happy she is singing in icelandic 🙂

Serafina
Serafina
Reply to  Nicky91

A few comments down you replied to someone saying she should sing in English cause, otherwise, the religious message of the song would get lost. What is your deal? lol you just trolling

Polegend Godgarina
Reply to  Serafina

smh y’all need to learn to ignore this sewer rat

He flip flops so much he must be real popular in the summer

Grafton
Grafton

YESSSS right choice

Excellent news!

Very good! Hope she wins!

mert
mert

Finally !

Kenan
Kenan

YEESSSSS I was just reading comments about how they were really disappointed about Iva singing in English and then this happens 😀

Tom
Tom

Thank God now I can say again that she will win in Rotterdam!

AndersP