After missing out on the Eurovision grand final for two years running, Romania opted for a radical change in strategy and internally selected Roxen. Now, the star has revealed the five songs that she will perform at Selecția Națională 2020.

Shortly after selecting Roxen internally, TVR unveiled the new plan for Selecția Națională 2020. A songwriting camp was organized in January 2020 as a result of a collaboration with renowned label Global Records. Five songs were shortlisted by a jury of music experts to proceed to the revamped national final.

Roxen will sing the five potential Eurovision entries on 1 March. The winning song will be selected by a combination of jury and televote, in an even 50/50 split. In the case of a tie, the public vote will indicate the winning song.

And now, you can listen to the five songs that Romania will have at disposition to select from and send to Rotterdam this May.

Selecția Națională 2020: Competing Songs

Song 1 – “Alcohol You”

Composers: Ionut Armas, Viky Red

Lyricists: Ionut Armas, Breyan Isaac

Song 2 – “Storm”

Composers: Minelli, Vicky Red

Lyricists: Minelli

Song 3 – “Colors”

Composers: Julie Frost, Breyan Isaac, Alex Cotoi

Lyricists: Julie Frost, Breyan Isaac

Song 4 – “Cherry Red”

Composers: Theea Miculescu, Sebastian Barac, Marcel Botezan, Costel Dominteanu

Lyricists: Theea Miculescu

Song 5 – “Beautiful Disaster”

Composers: Breyan Isaac, Alex Coti

Lyricists: Breyan Isaac, Julie Frost

About Roxen

Deep House singer and performer Larisa Roxana “Roxen” Giurgiu has been involved with music from a young age and is currently one of the most played artists on Romanian radio. Her music and style has seen her compared to artists like Billie Eilish and Dua Lipa.

In September, she was featured vocalist on SICKOTOY’s “You Don’t Love Me”. The song was playlisted internationally and so far has clocked up over 4.5 million YouTube views.

In November, Roxen released her solo debut single “Ce-ti Canta Dragostea”. The electronic track has a folk-pop tinge with Romanian lyrics. To date, it has enjoyed more than 8.7 million views on YouTube.

The Romanian popstress was selected from the roster of Global Records, after being part of a shortlist that included two other artists.

What do you think? Which is the Romanian candidate song that you are most excited for? Let us know in the comments below!

Read more Romania Eurovision news here

AurelianTamisan
AurelianTamisan

‘Storm’ is the only one I’ve kinda enjoyed. I think there is no winning material, most probably not ‘grand final material’ either. Just making it commercial won’t help, I think that in the end the idea with the internal selection was just a waste.

Mil
Mil

Will someone explain me what “Alcohol you“ actually means?

Sorix
Sorix
Reply to  Mil

“Alcohol you” is actually
“I’ll ca (ho) ll you”

Andreww
Andreww
Reply to  Sorix

I will call you hoe when I’m drunk ?

Andreww
Andreww
Reply to  Mil

I will call you a hoe when I’m drunk ?

Apple
Apple

If Romania sends Alcohol You they will win

Lourdes
Lourdes

I finally listened to the 5 songs, and I’m definitely on the ‘Alcohol you’ team. Well done Romania!

Andi
Andi

If you concatenate all 5 songs to one song you probably wouldn’t even recognize that the outcome is made of 5 different songs. Absolutely replaceable. Not a fan of any of these and if I had to make a choice it would be “Beautiful Desaster”.
What the hell is this “Ey eyeyehehe” in the refrain of “Storm”? Never heard something more nasty than that.

Henry
Henry
Reply to  Andi

Totally agree with you, they all sound the same, not bad and final might be possible but no “Winner” song amongst them…

cozmin_cozma_Italy
cozmin_cozma_Italy
Reply to  Andi

I just wonder what was your impression when you heard Fuego at the very first time ….. ?? However anyone can share he’s point of view ?….

Cristi Chris
Cristi Chris

You need to enjoy more the music and not to analyse every word of the lyrics. It’s speld colors because is written by an american the song that’s why …
I’m affraid to ask you what kind of songs do you like …
GO ROXEN … CHERRY RED ???

Luk
Luk

Cherry red is ok
I am waiting for Poland song
Good luck Romania

Helene
Helene

It is extremly produced but sounds nice. It is hard to know if she really connects to the songs. It has to be seen live to know if it is really good.

ImJJ
ImJJ

Cherry Red and Alcohol you tbh

Roxen my love
Roxen my love

ALCOHOL YOU for the win!!

Anthony
Anthony

All these are indedd decent songs…BUT i really can’t understand the hype around them since yesterday?They are nothing special at all!

Frank Arthur
Frank Arthur

Cherry Red the best far away and because is very latin power,love when say in spanish : vente paca racata .:) 12 points from Spain sure.

Currikitaum
Currikitaum

Lol downtown Málaga is… Downtown Málaga. Málaga is a big city and has a downtown, the historical centre, if you prefer it.
PS: I’m from Malaga and I love Cherry Red.

aroncido
aroncido

All of these sound like non-qualifiers tbh

Reply to  aroncido

YOU HAVE BAD TASTE. PERIOD.

Nicky91
Nicky91
Reply to  Alex

no he doesn’t, it is all nq material

ester on a sunday was much better than all this

Andi
Andi
Reply to  aroncido

I agree. I don’t like any of these. Beautiful Desaster is ok, but not more. And that “Ey yeheeheheheh” in Storm is super nasty…

AurelianTamisan
AurelianTamisan
Reply to  aroncido

I totally agree.

Sergod Legendzarev
Sergod Legendzarev

I don’t know why my comment got deleted, no idea really, but
personally I like beautiful disaster the most, cherry red would be close second

Talentina Monetta
Talentina Monetta

I’m impressed! This is one of the best selections of the year

It definitely is one of the best selections of the year! 🙂 Come 1 March to see the live show!!

Film
Film

The production on these is good, but i wished for more Romanian ethnic sounds. All these are decent, but i dont love any of them and they all have parts i like and dislike. I can only say that Storm is probably my least favorite. Im waiting to see them performed live with stagings. Good luck to Romania.

Tibor

I can very much relate to Skiwalko’s comment further down. It seems like they built a task force to identify current music trends, then bought several tracks from respected producers and songwriters, and then they took an inexperienced singer who sings all these songs in pretty much the same way (and I’m not a fan of her singing style). It feels like a sample catalogue. This is not the way to go, if you want to win Eurovision, but it may be the way to get back on track after missing the finals two years in a row. Nevertheless, all… Read more »

Reply to  Tibor

I don’t really know what to say about this. TVR made a few episodes about the writing camp this year. And the HoD explained how the process worked. There was a press release too. I will try to make a synthesis as accurately as possible: 1. TVR, the broadcaster, changed their strategy for selection A. based on the results of the past 2 years and B. they looked at what other broadcasters do for a change. 2. The broadcaster partnered with a big record label from Romania to come up with an artist. 3. At the same time, the record… Read more »

Tibor

Sorry, Una, you know I respect your opinion, but what you’re describing is exactly what I’m hearing. For me these hyper-professionalized, streamlined selection processes are making Eurovision dull by design. I prefer it the way Portugal or Italy do it, where they are inviting composers and artists who then bring their own distinguishable work to the selection, not something some focus group has identified to be the latest musical trend. As for her voice, of course she can’t change it, yet I didn’t say anything about her voice, but about her singing style. I know that this kind of choked… Read more »

Reply to  Tibor

I respect your opinions too Tibor and it’s always nice to read your comments. I for one am happy with TVR’s selection this year. They thought they had to change things and this is what they’ve chosen. We have 40+ selections every year so I can’t complain. I think they want good results or at least better as compared to the past two years. We’ll see what will happen in Rotterdam, for all countries for that matter. I must have mixed in my head “voice” with “style”, idk. I don’t like the “choked up” or “slurred” style either. If it’s… Read more »

Tibor

No, you’re right, not everyone can be satisfied, that can never be the objective. And I don’t say that Roxen is doomed to failure – if we only talk about results. The same approach has worked for Switzerland last year. But I feel like a broken record, when I always repeat: For me it’s not only about results, it’s primarily about the music, the art, the process. I want the artists to have a connection to their song, even if they “fail” in Eurovision. I’ll always prefer the “failure” of Conan Osiris to the “success” of Luca Hänni. I tend… Read more »

Reply to  Tibor

Tibor, I see your point. What I forgot to mention was that the Romanian artists this year, Roxen included, participated in the creative process in the writing camp. As I mentioned before, TVR made a series of videos to explain how the creative process went. Anyone can find them on the TVR youtube channel but they were in Romanian only last time I checked. Having a Romanian friend can come in handy!! Most countries care about the results and it shows from what they put in their preparations/selection and marketing (see the ads from last year from a certain country)… Read more »

Reply to  Tibor

Yes but that simply hasn’t been working recently (inviting composers and artists to submit their stuff). And that may be because the artists (and I’m not trying to criticise them) didn’t put enough effort into their Selec?ia Na?ional? entries. Or maybe it was the jury’s fault, or bad luck, I don’t know. Mixing things up a bit, even if not in an organic manner, seems to have worked, at least up to a point, and they managed to put out much higher quality songs than what we’ve had in the past two years at Selec?ia Na?ional?, at least in my… Read more »

Reply to  Alex

Alex, I think that Tibor is right about Portugal at least – where the broadcasters invites the songwriters to submit songs. In that there is no open submissions by just anyone in FdC. Songwriters get an invitation, which they can accept or refuse. Someone correct please if I am wrong. I don’t know how San Remo works.
And Romania had an open submission method in the past. I don’t want to talk anymore about what I think did not go well. I can’t wait to see the live selectia nationala.

Reply to  Alex

If by “work” you mean the placings in the contest were sometimes better, I agree (see above). And, yes, if we’re only looking at results, Portugal wasn’t very succesful with its approach, but I personally always look forward to Portugal’s selection, because I know I will get very diverse stuff, some of it I like, some of it I don’t, but I will never get the impression that I’m being baited.

Anita
Anita
Reply to  Tibor

If only there were the rule that the composers must be from the sending country. And that composer and artist have been working together for at least two years or so. But unfortunately that wish is against the trend 🙁

Mia
Mia
Reply to  Tibor

Excuse me, but why point that singer is inexpierenced? If she is inexpierenced that doesn’t mean automatically she is bad singer. Mihai has bashed before that she is “kid”. We didn’t see her yet how she perform to judge her based on that. I think she has beautiful voice and personally I like this singing style.

Reply to  Mia

That’s not what this was about. I say she’s inexperiened, because I suppose a more seasoned performer would be less malleable, you couldn’t just make them sing five songs they have no connection to.

Mia
Mia
Reply to  Tibor

Yeah, now I see your point, sorry for misunderstanding 🙂 You mean she will be “faking” it? Idk, I immediately felt conected to “Alcohol you” song even though I didn’t write it. We’ll see the way how she perform and if she is capable to share emotions of the song to the audience..

Reply to  Mia

No reason to apologize. And I wouldn’t say it’s impossible to have a connection to a song you haven’t written, that would be nonsense. But this whole process seems so clinical: First you identify the trends, then you get the songwriters who write the song according to those and then you get a performer who you think matches these songs. To me this seems more like a marketing scheme than a creative process.

Reply to  Tibor

Almost the whole of Eurovision is a marketing scheme: same songwriters over various years and countries. Some songwriters with 2 or 3 songs per competition. Same applies for creative directors. It’s all marketing and formulas and predictions and odds and such. Few songs are indeed creative and to some degree of uniqueness. Let me not forget about trends from year to year. The “father” theme especially after the succes of Germany 2018. The next year brought us 3 songs in the selection on the same theme – Hungary, Romania and France of which one managed to qualify for Tel Aviv.… Read more »

Chromium
Chromium
Reply to  Tibor

“[I]t may be the way to get back on track after missing the finals two years in a row.” I think that exactly is Romania’s short-term goal this year. I guess let’s see if they succeed with this goal, and then maybe they’ll try what you suggested in the future. Besides, there’s no one way to win ESC. And there’s no one way to satisfy any (or all) Eurovision fan(s), so I understand your frustration of this selection process. You value self-penned, probably singer-songwriter, songs. I value songs with great production/sound design. It would be great for a song to… Read more »

Nastya
Nastya

Cherry Red. I don’t see other choice. This song isn’t something special and good, but at least isn’t another boring song which you forget after few seconds and Cherry Red is good background for making some nice show.

Romania Music

All the 5 songs are amazing, but Alcohol You is something else. A lot of you would say that is just a ballad, but no, it’s just pure MAGIC! About Cherry Red, we all know that the Eurovision fans always get hyped about this type of songs and when it’s come to the vote, well, the things are changing.

West
West

I liked the snippets and now I’m not disappointed – my favourites are Alcohol You and Beautiful Disaster and hope they’ll pick one of them (or Cherry Red), but all five have a space safe for them on my iPod playlist.

xohxoh
xohxoh

The songs are cute, but i’m not sure how she will sound live.

Sergod Legendzarev
Sergod Legendzarev

okay this is definitely unpopular opinion, but somehow “beautiful disaster” stand out the most for me, second in the list would be “cherry red”

poe-tay-toe chips
poe-tay-toe chips

For some reason on my country’s itunes (US), all of the songs are on there except for colors. Idk why that one would be the only one missing but it is…

An American Eurovision Fan
An American Eurovision Fan

Same thing with Spotify in the US! That is weird, maybe we should wait a little longer for “Colors”…

Beth
Beth

I think my expectations were too high. No hate on Roxen but I didn’t like any song at all. I really wanted to like at least one of them but I didn’t. Maybe the winning song will grow on me by May but for now, Romania isn’t on my radar. It doesn’t help that I’m not into this kind of style of music. Wasn’t a fan Billie Eilish’s music style either so that probably explains why I don’t like any of the 5 songs. But I still wish Roxen luck though and it would be nice to see Romania in… Read more »

Angelika
Angelika

I’ll choose “Beautiful Disaster” is something mysterious

Erik
Erik

Alcohol you is my winner among these. It’s a bit unexpected song and then I don’t know many songs entirely on the theme “drunk calls”.. It’s also a bit crazy song and much more giving than several decided acts for this years esc. I hope this song will be picked. The production overall is really smooth. Sadly, several lyricists seem to want to rhyme more than making sense. Now I want a nice staging. I imagine a gala dress and kayal that is messy clearly because she’s been crying. So a bit polished but messy. Maybe we get the same… Read more »

Chromium
Chromium

“Colors” has the least awkward English lyrics because its primary songwriter is an English speaker. :))

“Alcohol You” seems to be a play on words for “I’ll call you” (“call” being sung as two syllables).

Chromium
Chromium

I did not expect the Spanish lyrics for “Cherry Red”. :)) I liked “Alcohol You” and “Cherry Red” more as snippets, but I still prefer these two over the others. Actually, any of the songs except “Storm” are pretty good choices.

An American Eurovision Fan
An American Eurovision Fan
Reply to  Chromium

I thought “Storm” was the best one!

Robyn Gallagher
Admin

You’d used a word that is on the filter list. Starts with P, rhymes with corn, a synonym for adult entertainment. I’ve published with a substitute. 🙂

Andi
Andi

Popcorn is not allowed here?

BleuKnaveXD236
BleuKnaveXD236

Okay, relistened to all five songs(y’all people gotta quit releasing songs when a girl is at work lol XD), there’s not a bad one in the bunch. I rather like them all, so still anyone of these can win and I’d be quite happy. Alcohol You – love the word play Storm – Just a good pop-ish song Colors – another good pop song Cherry Red – love the mixed in Spanish Beautiful Disaster – gives me Billie Eilish vibes which isn’t a bad thing My favorite two are now Alcohol You and Storm, but the other three are equally… Read more »

Hillbra
Hillbra

Personal favourite here is “Colors” – I just hope they fix the spelling before May

Hello hi
Hello hi
Reply to  Hillbra

Why should they change the spelling of “colors”
After all is written by an American

Jimmy Smit
Jimmy Smit
Reply to  Hello hi

It was supposed to be “Collars”.

Reply to  Hillbra

Come on. Both “colours” and “colors” are correct.

Bella
Bella

I made a big mistake: I read the comments before listening to the songs, which led me to believe I’d actually hear something good.

eurana
eurana

Cherry Red is the best.

Gil Dadia
Gil Dadia

Good luck from israel. I think that romania will compete for the win this year. Top 5 for sure. Shalom

MTD
MTD

Cherry Red.

Bye.

Catriona Colville
Catriona Colville

I can’t be the only one let down? Beautiful Disaster is the only moderate stand out. But I’ll have forgotten these song within the hour.

Nicolas
Nicolas

And it could be a beautiful disaster in the scoreboard too 😀

Poli-Genova
Poli-Genova

I actually agree..

Andi
Andi

Exactly my thought, thank you 😀

I really don’t know if I like more Alcohol you or Cherry Red. Very different but I enjoy both moods.
Such a tough choice

Colors and Beautiful Disaster are co-written by Eurovision winner Julie Frost!

Ria van de Velde
Ria van de Velde

Great songs but my big favorite one is: Alcohol You. I hope that this song will be the entry for Romania

IVANOV

Ashton Schier
Reply to  Nicolas

no don’t

Andi
Andi
Reply to  Ashton Schier

No. Cezar come back! (No… wait… I didn’t say that, lol)

Paul
Paul
Reply to  IVANOV

Laura comeback

Polliu
Polliu

I don’t know…..I like them because they are quality radio songs but I can’t find one to be the contender to win the whole thing. The snippet of Alcohol You is amazing but the whole track is just good but not amazing. Cherry Red is just another pop tune that people would like it but it lacks a big moment…The build-up of Storm is really good but the chorus is kind of okay.

BadWoolfGirl
BadWoolfGirl
Reply to  Polliu

At the very least, romania should get the chance to return the final.

Polliu
Polliu
Reply to  BadWoolfGirl

They will.

Reply to  Polliu

We have to hear them live and to see the staging and choreography first. Then we’ll be able to make our analysis more accurately. Those you really care. Nothing personal. Just talking in general terms.

ESCFanGA
ESCFanGA

I’m quite impressed with the quality of the five songs. If I had to choose right now, my favorite would probably be Cherry Red (although this might change).

Jimmy Smit
Jimmy Smit

Sorry to post here (couldn’t find a general forum):

I have a feeling that the BBC / BMG are going to announce Hurts as the entry for UK — what do you guys think?

poe-tay-toe chips
poe-tay-toe chips
Reply to  Jimmy Smit

Well, it’d be better than anyone they’ve sent in a while…

Jimmy Smit
Jimmy Smit

Yeah I think they’d be awesome. I’ve been trying to work out who on BMG’s books would make sense as the entry. Hurts have plenty of touring experience in Europe, haven’t released new music since their 2017 album, and now would be a great time to come back.

Something like Beautiful Ones could be top 5 material? https://youtu.be/LmVAaID4H7w

Yannis
Yannis
Reply to  Jimmy Smit

it would be great but they are in Columbia records

Jimmy Smit
Jimmy Smit
Reply to  Yannis

Oh damn, you’re right it might be unlikely then — I missed that Columbia is no longer associated with BMG. That’s a shame.

Reply to  Jimmy Smit

Hi Jimmy Smit. What makes you say that?

Milan S.
Milan S.

Beautiful disaster is generic!? Cherry red is generic!? I haven’t heard two less generic songs in a while!

Nicolas
Nicolas
Reply to  Milan S.

Cherry Red is a Fuego-Siren Song mix

An American ESC Fan
An American ESC Fan

All I can say is, Romania is almost definitely going to be in my Top 10 again. There are 3 very different, yet absolutely wonderful songs here, and even so, the other 2 are still well-produced and good songs. Not a single bad one here. My favorite is probably “Beautiful Disaster”. I love the creepy and dark Billie Eilish vibes. Next would be “Alcohol You”, followed very closely by “Cherry Red”. I think any of these 3 could bring Romania at least to the Top 15, likely higher. Could we be seeing Bucharest 2021? I’d say maybe! All in all,… Read more »

Moongaze
Moongaze

In fact I like all of them, except that culebron-linked so eurovisionfansappreciated “cherry red. The 1st 3 ones, though, they look a bit the same. But” beautiful disaster” is GREAT and different

MJD Spain
MJD Spain

Congratulations,, Romania. Five great great songs.

Ohi
Ohi

The right song can win the whole thing. The standard is very high. These are pretty much half an album of very good material. I think alcohol you, cherry red and colours are all proper vibes so whatever looks the most complete with visuals will probably be the best choice for Rotterdam. It’s cool we are getting some interesting songs this year.

Frisian esc
Frisian esc

I really love storm! The chorus is so playful and for a song with such a generic name the song itself is actually really creative. The abrubt ending makes it sound like it was intended to go on for another 30 seconds though. All these songs sound good but i think that when the national final is over and Roxen can focus on one song only, she’ll improve even more.