We have finally seen all of the performances of Melodifestivalen 2020. Tonight, the fourth and final semi-final took place in Malmö.

Two acts secured the last two tickets direkt till final. They were Hanna Ferm with “Brave” and Victor Crone with “Troubled Waters”.

Two further acts made it the duels of Andra Chansen. They were Frida Öhrn with “We Are One” and Ellen Benediktson & Simon Peyron with “Surface”.

Melodifestivalen 2020: Semi-final 4 winners

Hanna Ferm — “Brave”

Like a goddess rising out of the mist, Hanna Ferm certainly made an impression on Malmö. She’s going to go ahead and be brave and she’s also going direkt till final. This means Hanna has gone direkt till final two years in a row, following her effort with Liamoo last year. She’s the one giving us a heart attack!

Victor Crone — “Troubled Waters”

Victor Crone navigated through “Troubled Waters” and there was no way this storm was bringing him down. The Eurovision 2019 veteran is continuing his fine momentum and moves on to compete in the final on March 7.

Melodifestivalen 2020: Semi final 4 Andra Chansen advancers

Frida Öhrn — “We Are One”

Frida Öhrn started the party with a bang. Set in front of a curtain of gold streamers, this was the perfect way to open the show. Frida certainly got the party going and collected enough votes to go through to Andra Chansen and compete for a spot in the final.

Ellen Benediktson & Simon Peyron — “Surface”

Ellen Benediktson & Simon Peyron fielded the only duet of Melodifestivalen 2020. There was emotion, there were longing stares and warm embraces — everything you could ask for in a Eurovision duet. They created a very different atmosphere to the other songs of the evening and will compete in Andra Chansen next Saturday 29 February.

Melodifestivalen 2020: Semi-Final 4 eliminated acts

For three acts, unfortunately the journey came to an end tonight.

Nanne Grönvall and Jakob Karlberg were eliminated at the first stage of voting. William Stridh was then eliminated in fifth place.

Melodifestivalen 2020: Semi-Final 4 running order

1. Frida Öhrn — “We Are One”
  2. William Stridh — “Molnljus”
  3. Nanne Grönvall — “Carpool Karaoke”
  4. Victor Crone — “Troubled Waters”
  5. Ellen Benediktson & Simon Peyron — “Surface”
  6. Jakob Karlberg — “Om du tror att jag saknar dig”
  7. Hanna Ferm — “Brave”

What do you think of the results? Did your favourites proceed direkt till final? Who should win Melodifestivalen 2020? Let us know in the comments below.

Click here for more Sweden news

Photo Credit: SVT

trackback

[…] he sailed through to the Melodifestivalen 2020 grand final. Straight after the fourth semi-final, not only did Victor Crone release his Melfest single […]

destroy1234
destroy1234

Hanna Ferm sounds off the note from time to time, Victor Crone definitely got some nice backup singers

Another year, another Eurovision, another women-girl empowering song with an over-the-top interpretation. Only this time it’s one not two.
Gutted that William didn’t go through. Victor did not deserve to go DTF. Troubled Waters is much weaker than Storm. The only attraction to Storm and Troubled Waters was the visuals, I mean the staging. It looks like indeed the Swedes voted mostly for known names.

Then JESC, please. But it’s too late for that. Stuck with a song about fears, ghosts and skeletons where “brave” rhymes with “grave” and a singer wishes heart attacks onto ghosts and skeletons. All cliché and frankly quite silly. As if this song was addressed to under 18s. Ia-da-ia-da. This was too much from acting to moving around. And those high notes. Cannot forget about those high notes.

Mikey
Mikey

I find Brave incredibly dated. It sounds like something from 2009. Interestingly, her staging also seemed to reflect that too.
I’m seeing Dotter for the win. They’ll make it to the final with that, but not high in the scoreboard. I think Sweden might need some new songwriters in the mix, they’re beginning to sound dated and samey.
I’m in the minority, but I found Boys With Emotions the only song production that sounded fresh or interesting. Sure, the lyrics were cheesy, but it sounded somewhat contemporary.

Reply to  Mikey

Finally a comment I can agree with!

Thorbeta
Thorbeta

Ok, as others already noticed this is not the strongest Melodifestivalen we’ve seen recently. I still think that Anna is the best choice for Sweden, not because ‘Kingdom Come’ is the best song necessarily, but more for the fact that Anna sells it very well and can connect better to a larger audience. Both ‘Bulletproof’ and ‘Brave’ are decent songs, although I don’t really enjoy the way they are performed, which feels to me less approachable. Anyway, if Anna doesn’t win, then I would go for Dotter as my second choice.

Marc
Marc
Reply to  Thorbeta

Agree. Anna has a likeability factor which is easy to connect with. You feel good and enjoy watching that performance. Mamas are quite there as well.
I don’t see Dotter and Hanna connecting on a larger level to a very diverse audience seeing those performances. Their songs are fine but people will not be surprised either.

Reply to  Thorbeta

if she couldn’t qualify with A strong song in 2010, why would she qualify with a weaker song this time? Im not convinced she would qualify..

Thorbeta
Thorbeta
Reply to  Denis

It might be a matter of personal opinion, but I find ‘Kingdom Come’ much more accessible than ‘This is my life’. Neither of the two could be called innovative or very original, but at least this time there’s a more interesting and more complex backing track and some better opportunities to make some creative staging – the 2010 one was quite dull unfortunately. Plus Anna is 10 years older and knows how to sell a song with more confidence and better stage presence.

Denis

Odds and odds.. The thing with odds is they can NEVER be THAT wrong. Otherwise they would lose money and people wouldn’t bet. There are statistics behind odds. If Dotter’s odds are shortening then there is a reason for it and they have reason to put her that high up. Odds take everything in account, hype, jury voting, televoting, how appealing it is and all that. Like Duncan last year. His odds were shortening all the time and he won. And Måns in 2015 was the odds favourite from the start. So if Dotter is that high up as she… Read more »

ESCFanGA
ESCFanGA

It seems like everyone here wants Dotter to win. Bulletproof is a decent song and I wouldn’t be upset if it did win but I don’t see what’s so special about it. I personally like Hanna’s song the most and think it’s both the most strongest and most likely to do well at Eurovision. I agree Hanna’s vocals and dress need to change but they can do that easily.

Nina
Nina
Reply to  ESCFanGA

Well, Dotter’s song isn’t the best song ever, but you do realise that Hanna’s song is miles behind, right? 😀 Hanna lost her chance when she decided to record this meh song. Such a shame considering she can sing so well (which she didn’t show us this evening :D)

Reply to  ESCFanGA

Dotter isn’t in my top 5.

Pierre
Pierre

We can already predict that sweden will be top 5 among the juries and bottom 5 among the televoters.

Reply to  Pierre

LOL yes maybe! But only if we send one of the solo boys!

PP77
PP77
Reply to  Pierre

Dotter is winner of ESC 2020

Reply to  Pierre

By that logic then then we can predict Italy will be top 5 among televoters and bottom 5 among juries, and Russia will be top 5 thanks to neighbours plus big artist every neighbour listens to

Marc
Marc
Reply to  Pierre

Won’t happen if they send Anna

M_K
M_K

I am frankly surprised to see that “Brave” is so popular, I would not have seen that coming. Maybe I’m missing something here? It feels rather bland and Hanna’s performance seemed a bit “lah-di-dah” considering that it’s supposed to be a song with a “strong message”.

Nina
Nina

Did anyone notice Dotter stole the lights idea from Raiven – Zazarim? 😀 It looks like after all she didn’t come up with anything out of this world, even though she made it more professional than Raiven. Still I hope Dotter will win MF

Lesbi honest
Lesbi honest
Reply to  Nina

I can’t believe Raiven invented mirrors.

Campbell Grace
Campbell Grace
Reply to  Nina

This was mentioned ages ago luv… Raiven didn’t invent anything

Nina
Nina
Reply to  Campbell Grace

You obviously don’t get the point -.- When Dotter used those lasers as prop everyone said that it looked as out of this world, and I just said that Raiven did the same thing long time ago, so no one can call Dotter’s stage unique and new. I didn’t say it’s bad (as I obviously want Dotter to win), but to let others know as well (in case they didn’t hear about it). The way you two reacted shows you are immature teens, brats, with or without age for it

Reply to  Nina

It¨s not like Raiven was the first ever to use lasers.. Been around for some time now
Everything in the industry has been used by others, nothing is original!

Nina
Nina
Reply to  Denis

that’s the point!! I just said that Dotter didn’t invent the wheel, so she doesn’t have a performance that’s out of this world, or never seen before… as some people tend to describe it. Jeez, learn to INTERPRET messages people lol

Reply to  Nina

You said that she took it from Raiven, As if Raiven was the first to ever think of using lasers during a show. That is what you said

Bob

Underwhelmed by Melodifestivalen this year. No clear winner like there has been the last couple of years, but hey that makes it more interesting I guess.
I think The Mamas, Anna Bergendahl, Hanna Ferm and Mariette has a slightly better chance at winning than the rest. It’s the ladies time to shine! Though I like Dotter’s entry, I’m afraid the public in Sweden will most likely prefer the more catchy tunes.
If Alvaro Estrella and Mendez go throuch AC I can see them end up in a decent place in the final.

Charli Cheer Up
Charli Cheer Up

Good they’re two strong contenders against Dotter. I’m glad Surface is in AC but sad that Carpool Karaoke didn’t. Instead we got a schlager fodder to make it easier for the others to qualify for grand finals..lol

AndersP
AndersP

Carpool Karaoke was a terrible song, but how is it all these old-school Schlager divas can sing and dance perfectly in tune, and all of the idol graduates are so off key it makes your toes curl. I love that Melfest tries to always update itself, but I do wish there were a few more Schlager hits as in years gone by.

M_K
M_K
Reply to  AndersP

It was terrible, but there was something honest about it, something I missed in practically all the other entries.

Reply to  AndersP

LOL, I was thinking about that while I was watching Nanne’s performance.

Gloria
Gloria

Be sure to stream, tweet/hashtag and watch Dotter | Bulletproof on youtube to show SVT we want the most popular song to represent Sweden

Reply to  Gloria

To show what? That non Swedes want The song? Why do you think its The most important that you get The song you want and not The song that The Swedish People want? This is geting ridiculous on a level that you hope they geo block melfest next year.

Niinaa
Niinaa

The worst edition of Melodifestivalen in many years 🙁 I’m rooting for Dotter to win

Milla
Milla

Dotter’s odds have shortened even more now.. yes! But is she really going to win. Swedes, what do you think?

Reply to  Milla

I think Mamas have a chance. Im sure Anna will do well with tele and Dotter with jury, but om not sure about The other way around. And im pretty sure mamas will do well with The jury and The televote…

Maria
Maria
Reply to  Milla

I’m sorry to say that I dont think it will win. We swedes tend to vote on a well liked/famous singer so my guess is that it will be a woman this year, but it will be Anna or Hanna. I hope I am wrong. I believe Dotters song/her performance is a bit to different for all age groups in Sweden to vote for it. The votes from abroad might be able to help a little but…

Azaad
Azaad
Reply to  Maria

Isn’t Dotter quite well known though? At least to the extent that Anna is outside the Melfest context?

Maria
Maria
Reply to  Azaad

Yes, she has also competed before but my feeling is that she is more limited in the age groups than Hanna and Anna. In sweden we say that a person can be “folkkär”, like for example Måns Zelmerlöw. I wouldnt compare Anna and Hanna to Måns, they are not on his level regarding that but I would say they are more folkkär than Dotter. But I could be wrong. I would be happy to be wrong

Reply to  Maria

Well said Maria. “Folkkär” would be translated as “beloved by the people” meaning not just a specific group of voters, but the masses including all ages and genders. I don’t see Dotter as being folkkär at all, which is her biggest disadvantage (but she might become in the future)!

Reply to  Maria

Well, Loreen wasn’t very well known or liked when she won. Nor was Anna the first time she won. If anything the winner is someone who competed in the past and had exposure but isn’t to well known. Dotter fits the category. And I do think she is more liked among Swedes than what people would thunk.

Reply to  Milla

I think Dotter will do well, but not win unfortunately. It isn’t catchy enough. We Swedes tend to go for the catchy tunes, not necessarily the best song.

diana
diana
Reply to  Milla

I do think she’ll definitely place in the top 2. It’s gonna be between her and Anna. I’d like Dotter to represent us though

Laurentiu
Laurentiu

with every year that goes by, Melodifestivalen seems to get even more dated, obnoxious and lackluster. Though, I can’t deny one thing: Dotter looks hot.

Milla
Milla
Reply to  Laurentiu

That’s the talk in Sweden too.. believe me. It’s time for a revamp.

Maria
Maria
Reply to  Laurentiu

We need new song writers!!!

emeej
emeej
Reply to  Maria

There is no point.. SVT only accept G:son, Jimmy Jansson, Debb, Wrethow and Barker. I bet they have a huge variety of song writers sending in songs but still they need 20 songs from Jimmy Jansson in the contest because why not? Pathetic

Reply to  Maria

I love how they show a clip of the songwriters before every performance, because hopefully it will raise awareness of the fact that all the songs have the same songwriters and they are really just competing against themselves. Melodifestivalen would be a lot more interesting if we had the same rules for songwriters that we have for the performers: ONE song each year. No more.

Álex
Álex

Just two words: Dotter. Bulletproof.

Milla
Milla
Reply to  Álex

Omg yes! I hope we choose her! But I’m not sure exactly how popular Dotter is among swedes.. There is no question that Dotter is the favourite among many esc-fans.

Reply to  Milla

I do think she is more liked here than most people would think she is. And if the pattern of a winner is to be followed then the winner is someone who competed before and had exposure but isn’t yet popular. Eric Saade, Loreen, Stjernberg, Robin Bengtsson, John Lundvik. Dotter sure fits that bill..

ESCFanGA
ESCFanGA

I want Hanna to win Melfest (although I would be fine with Dotter). I’m probably the only one who isn’t a fan of Anna’s song.

diana
diana
Reply to  ESCFanGA

I’m not a fan of anna’s song either…hope dotter gets to represent us tho

Jack
Jack

The staging the gave to Hanna is called “just close ups-she is beautiful”. But it’s not enough to hide how generic the song is which is created by the masters of the genre.

Esc1234
Esc1234

I loved Nanna and the positive energy the song has, it’s a shame that the schlager with the cheap lyrics went in AC and nanne not…

Gloria
Gloria

I can’t see Hanna winning, and judging from AC duel order with Frida, SVT will now want Anna to win (kill any country competition). Even though Dotter has more streams/youtube views than the lot, she should represent #Dotter FTW.
PS: I want Hanna to represent with a much better song/staging/performance, I want a Dami Im type of performance with a top-notch song for her to take Sweden to ESC

Reply to  Gloria

Why do you assume Sweden wants to win? I think The support for having Eurovision in sweden again is going to be The lowest considering The problems The country is facing.

Jesus Christer Björkman
Jesus Christer Björkman
Reply to  SASSZ

What problems..?

SASSZ

Haha Nice joke, if you are a swede you know what im talking about.

Okej...
Okej...
Reply to  SASSZ

Im from Sweden and I don’t……

emeej
emeej
Reply to  SASSZ

True, im from Sweden and I understand what problems you are talking about

Jesus Christer Björkman
Jesus Christer Björkman
Reply to  SASSZ

I’m from Sweden and I have no clue what you could possibly mean? Fill me in please

ESCNils
ESCNils

Hanna’s performance was a hot disaster!!

Yuvaly
Yuvaly

This semi was underwhelming, and only made me more in favor of Dotter. I think she can actually win and hope she does

Catriona Colville
Catriona Colville

Hanna is not winning with that. I think either Anna or Victor.

Miguel

Worst Melodifestivalen in years.
Lina Hedlund is wonderful, though. She should come back as a hostess again. Her spelling is perfect and elegant. The other hosts are terrible. Specially Linnea has a very ugly accent, the way she pronounces the vowels kills me (specially the “i”).
But funny thing is that if they choose Dotter, it has it all to become a huge hit and easily win Eurovision.
Only Dotter is the right choice, to save this Melodifestivalen and our lives.

Reply to  Miguel

You Said that last year too..

Erik
Erik
Reply to  Miguel

Linnea is from Halmstad, same city as Per Gessle from Roxette among others

Reply to  Erik

Thanks for the info. Is it normal that Lina’s accent sounds more elegant and “pleasant” than other hosts? She speaks beautifully

Why Victor keeps singing songs with notes he has problems reaching? Hannah looked great (despite the dress), but she deserved a much better song. I’m still between Anna, Dotter and The Mamas.

Esc1234
Esc1234
Reply to  Sabrina

Because he doesn’t have a great voice

From now on, I am officially Team Robin Bengtsson.

Reply to  Jonas

You mean Robin Boring-sson

Reply to  Jonas

Robin’s song is decent but… I mean, his performance in 2017 was exciting and stylish and charming. His 2020 entry fades in comparison.

Zoli
Zoli

Victor or Dotter for the win!

Reply to  Zoli

Yes! Dotter!!!

Denis

Victor Crona still hasn’t taken song lessons I see:)
Good selection but I can’t see Hanna winning it. Dotter it is..

Apple
Apple

Nanne made a human car and should have run over the competition

Erik
Erik
Reply to  Apple

She slayed it. But she got more votes then other seventh placed in the other heats

Gloria
Gloria

Hanna’s staging seems very party city-ish. Sharon would be so proud 😛

Apple
Apple
Reply to  Gloria

The staging is party city and the song is tired showgirl

Chromium
Chromium

“Troubled Waters” is definitely better than “Storm”, but Victor’s vocals on the last minute of the song is 😐

The staging for “Brave” is such a miss. All of the other works by Zain/Brochner are much better: The Mamas’, Robin’s, and especially Anna’s.

I don’t understand the AC choices tonight; I don’t think they’ll have a chance to win their duels. I would’ve wanted Molnljus to go through. 🙁

Persona
Persona
Reply to  Chromium

Storm is much better!

Alo
Alo

There’s a chance dotter will lose? I can’t see someone else winning it.
And hanna sang very bad today! (couldn’t understand what she’s saying).

ESCNils
ESCNils
Reply to  Alo

Anna Bergendahl

Erik
Erik
Reply to  Alo

Maybe because she spoke in Swedish

Reply to  Alo

If you go by Swedish Media Anna is the one. I think maybe she can win televote but will not do well with The jury. On The other hand i think that The more non swedes write about Dotter winning Eurovision, Anna is going to get more votes. Its a very big part of The country Who dont want our money to be put on this kind of things right now.

Persona
Persona
Reply to  SASSZ

Don’t want to put your money on Eurovision because of..?

Reply to  Persona

Because it is an unnecessary jippo that just cost money. If you are not Swedish then you may not be aware of it, but there have been many protests in the past against arranging Eurovision. Then there was no great dissatisfaction with how the country was managed politically and economically. Therefore, I think that a very much larger part of the population is against the idea that this is what needs to be spent money on.
This has nothing to do what i personally think or want.

Albert
Albert

Ok, after all the performances, my winner is Dotter
2nd The Mamas
3rd Victor Crone

Miguel

Are Ellen Benediktson and Scarlett Johansson the same person?

Polina
Polina

This year’s melodifestivalen was very bad i ve been saying this for 3 years . And every year its getting gradually worse.. next year i won’t bother to watch it really. Predictable songs, different songwriters but same music beats, same structure, i am so fed up with them all really. This is just cringe. I mean look to Malu Prytz for example it is just Sia copy with Maddie Ziegler as well! Aren’ t they ashamed of copying something someone like that much in the face!

Davve
Davve
Reply to  Polina

Stfu

Reply to  Polina

Different songwriters? It’s the same 10 songwriters of all the 28 songs.

Reply to  Polina

Ok, have fun not watching!
Though the same “critique” about songs can be said for most of the countries competing, all the same. We literally have three standard ESC ballads competing, the standard eastern European folk entry competing, the standard Italian classy entry competing, and we probably will have a standard Balkan ballad in there as well..

diana
diana

Victor Crone really deserved final, Hanna too. So sad that William didn’t go Andra chansen at least….

KESC
KESC

Honestly, I really hope that the Mamas win. It was a very bland Melodifestivalen this year.

Linda Bengtzing
Linda Bengtzing
Reply to  KESC

Agreed. Mamas have the only catchy tune. The rest has been disappointing

Miguel

Linda you will always be my Melodifestivalen queen. Alla mina sorger is my schlager of the year.

Talentina Monetta
Talentina Monetta

This means that we can finally listen to the studio versions of all songs!

Also, the Andra Chansen duels are as follows:

Anis vs Ellen, Malou vs Paul, Felix vs Frida and Mendez vs Drangarna

Is that official already? The AC duels I mean

Talentina Monetta
Talentina Monetta
Reply to  Miguel

Yes, they were posted on Melodifestivalen’s official twitter account

Reply to  Miguel

Yep, Christer and Karin Gunnarsson revealed them on camera straight after the show.

Davve
Davve

After hearing all the songs I am quite certain that either Dotter, Anna, The Mamas or Hanna will win..

Davve
Davve

The two final qualifiers was a certain.

But sad about William. Molnljus was great

Reply to  Davve

I feel the same about William.

Davve
Davve
Reply to  Whisker

Yeah! I will listen on spotify tonight

emeej
emeej

AC duels revealed!
1. Anis Don Demina “Vem e Som Oss” vs Ellen & Simon “Surface”
2. Malou Prytz “Ballerina” vs Paul Rey “Talking In My Sleep”
3. Felix Sandman “Boys with Emotions” vs Frida Öhrn “We Are One”
4. Mendez & Alvaro “Vamos Amigos” vs Drängarna “Piga & Dräng”

Azaad
Azaad
Reply to  emeej

Well, Ellen & Simon and Felix are clearly going to the final…

emeej
emeej
Reply to  Azaad

I hope so

Reply to  Azaad

Really? Dont think so. Anis is a big Youtuber with maaaaaany fans.

Reply to  SASSZ

that fan base dind’t help him last year.

ESCJudge
ESCJudge

So it’s a revival of Almgren’s “Bitter lullaby” to the final… 😉
And maybe a winner… but not mine. Not with this song and not with this vocals….
Victor would be more succesful as a model or a po*nstar… 😛

Persona
Persona
Reply to  ESCJudge

Ohh, would be interesting to see him as a po*nstar :DD

I enjoyed a lot songs number 2 and 6 and I am disappointed neither got through to AC or DTF. I did NOT enjoy Troubled Waters. And Brave is like a Halloween song with skeletons and ghosts and graves etc. My favorite part was the part with no words.

Mariko
Mariko

I really liked Victor Crone a whole lot more than I thought I would. It’s really catchy.

ESCJudge
ESCJudge

So Swedes should seriously concider not qualifying this year with those songs in the final…

I’m up for The Mammas… -that’s a conclusion of the most boring and most average/low level Melodifestivalen of last decade (or two).

Boooooriiiinggggg…..

Davve
Davve
Reply to  ESCJudge

Deeeeelllllluuusssional

Reply to  ESCJudge

It’s still way better than 2018.

Milla
Milla
Reply to  ESCJudge

Not a very good judge..

Tbh Hanne’s performance was quite awful. She was out of breath in the end. But I really like Victor’s staging!
I think Dotterdam is happening!!

Nils
Nils

This years Melodifestivalen is so predictable.
Ofc there are 4,5 great songs but rest is generic.
And singing in Swedish ? cant go DTF

Dawid
Dawid
Reply to  Nils

Ikr, its basically “Do you know this person? If so, then they go straight to the final”. And I don’t even pay that much attention to it every year

Niklas
Niklas
Reply to  Nils

And who is then the predictable winner :)?

Dawid
Dawid
Reply to  Niklas

I’d say Anna, Mamas or Dotter.

Marseille
Marseille

Dreadful semi. Hanna nearly pierced my ears with her wailing. Simon and Ellen were the (very modest) standout for me, shame they’re only going to andra.