barbara tinoco - elisa

Olá, Portugal! The Iberian nation just witnessed the first semi-final of the 2020 edition of Festival da Canção. Eight acts battled for four places in the final.

In the end, a combination of professional jury and televote decided that Bárbara Tinoco, Elisa, Filipe Sambado and Thrones + The Shine are one step closer to Eurovision 2020.

Portugal’s Festival da Canção 2020 semi-final one results

The first of two semi-finals took place in Lisbon’s RTP headquarters. 50% of the result came from a professional jury that included Eurovision 2019 star Conan Osiris. The remaining 50% from televote. The qualifiers were announced in random order.

Excitement and expectation was building in this semi-final, said to have two of the three fan favourites for the victory. Surprisingly, Blasted Mechanism were ousted. Their ethno-punk entry “Rebellion” was amongst the most popular entries, but in the end they didn’t qualify.

After an intense qualifiers announcement, the four who’ll be packing their bags for Elva are: Bárbara Tinoco with “Passe-Partout”, Elisa with “Medo de Sentir”, Filipe Sambado with “Gerbera Amarela do Sul” and Throne + The Shine with “Movimento”.

Bárbara Tinoco – “Passe-Partout” live at semi-final one of Festival da Canção 2020

Elisa – “Medo de Sentir” live at semi-final one of Festival da Canção 2020

Filipe Sambado – “Gerbera amarela do Sul” live at semi-final one of Festival da Canção 2020

Throne + The Shine – “Movimento” live at semi-final one of Festival da Canção 2020

Unfortunately, it’s the end of the line for fan favourites Blasted Mechanisim, as well as Ian Mucznik, JJaZZ, and Meera. None of these acts will be heard in the grand final on March 7.

Next week, eight more entries will compete and another four will join the line-up of the grand final in Elvas.

Are you happy with tonight’s results? Are you surprised with anything? Which live performance was your favourite? Tell us in the comment section below.

Read more Portugal Eurovision 2020 news here

MigVig
MigVig

Felipe Sambado performance is just two english see portuguese creativity, but the song is soo bad, sorry.

Elsa

My comment disappears everytime I try to publish, so this will my third and last attempt. For those interested in understanding Sambado’s lyrics: “gerbera amarela do Sul could be a metaphor for Portugal because he sings “Mais eucalipto que pinheiro/ É deserto?o?ano inteiro” – more eucalypts than pines, it is a desert all year. Every year, Portugal suffers from deadly wildfires and one of the reasons for that is that instead of repopulating the forests with native trees and plants, eucalypts (Australian tree!!!) are planted instead which cause a “desert”, first they dry the land all around them as they… Read more »

Reply to  Elsa

I appreciate this comment very much. Thanks so much Elsa for your insight and kind explanations. Your comment here makes a lot of sense – mainstream media in English have convered extensively the problem of summer fires in Portugal. Very hard breaking as lives have been lost – people and animals. And the environment destroyed. “Gerbeira amarela do sol” remains firmly one of my two favourites in the Eurovision season this year.
Very grateful for all comments trying to explain the song and performance.

Elsa

you are welcome, however it is just *my* interpretation. The lyrics are quite open for different and equally valid interpretations.. 🙂

Ohi
Ohi

Is there anything better in the second semi?

Uni uni uni universo
Uni uni uni universo

Bárbara with passe-partout can take you to the final, Portugal. Be smart.
There are some things to improve (those dancers….) , but it was the best performance.

uwu vision
uwu vision

Not a fan of the song particularly, but I LOVE Filipe Sambado’s performance!

Can anyone explain Filipe’s song and performance? Bernardo of wiwi or someone else, please? It’s way to artistic and mysterious and if it’s built on or around Portuguese things it’s impossible for non-Portuguese to understand. Thanks very much in advance.

Oh boy. It’s Telemoveis all over again!

Reply to  Joe

Joe, I know there is still way to go until the FdC final but atm I am rooting for Filipe to win, hopefully. And to qualify in Rotterdam should that be the case. Not a consolation necessarily for Conan or the fans of Telemoveis but still a plus for Portugal. Go, Filipe!

I get a little nervous if even Portuguese people have a hard time figuring out what’s going on. Like, at least THEY got Telemoveis. If the locals are stupefied, can you imagine how Europe would react?

Reply to  Joe

Well, Filipe passed through the final and there is time for TVP to promote the artists and their songs. And for the artists to promote themselves too.
As for the rest, the surprise elements and the fantastic music could be enough. They were enough for me to like the song and put it at the top of my list even though the song is not yet a winner.

Ruben
Ruben

To be honest, even as portuguese it’s hard to understand the lyrics, its too metaforic. He said in an interview before the show, that his performancehe would try ro replicate a funeral.

Reply to  Ruben

I’m also a Portuguese native speaker and I have no clue about what those lyrics are about. Gerbera is a type of flower and the title would translate as “Yellow Gerbera from the South”. There’s also a wordplay with “consul” and “console”. The whole thing is very artsy and somehow the funeral aesthetics fits perfect on the song. Though “Telemóveis” allowed multiple interpretations and had a spiritual background, it was much more accessible than this one.

Reply to  Sabrina

Sabrina, obrigada 🙂 Yes about the funeral aesthetic – the backing singers seem very fitting in that respect. The GoT kind of throne and the big fluffy blanket or skirt and the shorts were confusing. And the HG theme for the make up for Filipe. Thanks again.

De nada, Una. 🙂 Had you read Elsa’s comment below? She explains the wordplay, it’s a criticism to nepotism in Portugal. Which would explain why he’s like a king in his throne, like he was entitled to everything just based on blood relations. There are still some pieces of the puzzle that I guess only Filipe could explain, but I like his style and his presence (it was hard to take the eyes from him during the performance, right?). Don’t know how it would do in Eurovision though. Maybe it’s too indie.

Reply to  Sabrina

🙂 I’ve read Elsa’s comment and now the “consulado” makes more sense. You pronounce “consulado” the same way as for “consolated” and “consulate”? Because I could only hear him repeating a few times “con-soo-la-doo” and I couldn’t get the wordplay.
But yes, the puzzle is coming together.
And the performance was mesmerizing and fascinating and interesting and confusing at the same time. I found the music flowing smoothly and loved it but there were so many elements on the stage!! It was so impactful the first time I saw it. I am still hyped!!

Nice to Mit
Nice to Mit

For me, it is a criticism to the rural areas in Portugal where some people are confortable with the fact that blood ties entitles someone to be nominated to public offices (becausethey suposely are trustorthy witch is seldom the opposite)

yes in Portuguese Consulado and consolado are homophones

Reply to  Elsa

So nice of you Elsa to respond. Obrigada 🙂 !! So now awaiting the resolve of the biggest piece of this mystery: the symbolism of the yellow gerbera. Hopefully soon.

Nico B
Nico B

The lyrics has a lot of political satire: criticism of power games (throne, positions like “consul”, the “uncles=tio” who favor each other), and the stagnation and hypocrisy of a society represented by the funeral environment. Until someone irreverent breaks the staus quo (symbolized by the singer’s shorts when he rises from the throne) … I still couldn’t decode the title.

Reply to  Nico B

Nico B, thanks so much!! This song is an amazing journey, that’s for sure 🙂

Elsa

Una: I think the flower is a metaphor for Portugal. He sings “more eucalypts than pines / it is a desert all year”. Every Summer, Portugal suffers from deadly wildfires and one of the reasons for that is that instead of regrow the forests with native trees and plants, eucalypts (Australian !!!) are planted instead just because they grow fast, which cause a “desert”: first because they dry the land all around them as they suck in all the water like parasite, plus they burn fast like a match on the occasion of a wildfire… So I see it as… Read more »

Elsa

As for the fact he is in shorts of a cheap material opposing to the rest of the noble costume, it is again a critique of the false meritocracy or democracy in Portugal. He sings something like ” in my beachwear (…) I get to become a consul” and then the refrain “A Consulate for you”…etc

Reply to  Ruben

Ruben, obrigada tb. I was thinking about looking up the lyrics which I could understand with the help of a dictionary but it seems that I could not make sense of it. So thanks for the explanation.

Livs
Livs

The song is a political satire with metaphorical lyrics basically a critic to the political class in my understanding, the funeral theme of the performance symbolizes the country being buried (he said on an interview).

Reply to  Livs

This i even more confusing but nevertheless interesting to see. I love the song and the performance anyway. Thanks, Livs.

Thanks everyone for your kind answers! Much appreciated!!!! I am hoping to also see an interview with Filipe on wiwibloggs and a reaction to the song. There is already an interview with Barbara and Tiago, the composer of her song. Very nice. Short but nice to see.

Elsa

For those interested in deciphering the lyrics, check my comments in a thread below

Reply to  Elsa

Sorry my comments disappear every time I try to publish them very strange!

Reply to  Elsa

Yes. Thanks!!!

noone
noone

The only song I actually liked was Filipe S, it’s a very nice song and melody. But the staging is just terrible and too much. If he were dressed “normal”, it could maybe win, but I’m afraid this doesn’t have a chance. It was probably pushed by the jury, considering that Conan Osiris was part of the jury.

Nicolas
Nicolas
Reply to  noone

I think the staging is part of the meaning of the song from what have been reported.

Reply to  noone

I think this is one was the best theatrical performances in the history of Eurovision. And the music is so beautiful. Very niche but to me it was memerizing and fascinating.

Andrei
Andrei

So….No Blasted Mechanisim in the final? And this is the way Portugal will stay in the semifinal…once again

helianthus
helianthus
Reply to  Andrei

Rebellion isn’t a good song, it would flop hard in eurovision

Uni uni uni universo
Uni uni uni universo
Reply to  Andrei

I liked, but their live show was…. awful

ggbnn
ggbnn

The problem with online learning is that since students have different learning styles, you need to try different things to reach them, said Cheney. “Oral is one element. Since I’m not a big books-on-tape guy because I am get tired of listening after 25 minutes, I suspected that students might be the same,” he said.

Reply to  ggbnn

I don’t get it

mark dowd
mark dowd

The small setting and studio really did not suit Rebellion…like watching Led Zeppelin in an airport coffee lounge. It COULD have looked and sounded awesome in Rotterdam with 15,000 people, LED screens etc, but it was up to the jury and televoters to make that leap of imagination and they didn’t.
None of the reminaing songs are remotely winning material, so well done jury and televoters – you sank the only ship that could have gotten out of the harbour.

jim
jim

Festival da Snoozefestção 2020

Aviap
Aviap
Reply to  jim

You need some Movimento

Héctor
Héctor

I’m satisfied with this choices. It was a tough semifinal after all. I had already said Blasted Mechanism could be a non-qualifier. Not because it is bad, I don’t think their live was bad at all, but because Portugal is very classical, especially the juries, and tend to reject songs in other languages. It happened in 2017 with Pedro Gonçalves and “Don’t Walk Away”, probably the most modern song for Portugal in 2017. It received 12pts from the televote in the 2nd SF but just 4pts from the jury. He would end up qualifying though but ultimately placing 6th in… Read more »

Reply to  Héctor

I disagree when you say Sambado and Conan look alike, maybe visually but musically they are very different. Throne + The Shine is closer to Conan and his strong kuduru influence.

Tibor
Tibor

I said beforehand I would be satisfied with Elisa and Throes + the Shine qualifying, so I have nothing to complain about, they were both very good and deserved to advance. Filipe Sambado’s styling was absolutely gorgeous, and I knew, as soon as I saw this, that it would be a contender for qualification. I do not understand the criticism of Blasted Mechanism’s lead singer. His singing was fine, the rapping in the chorus was the problem, but not because of his accent, come on, people. The chorus just fell a little flat live, the small stage may have hurt… Read more »

Miguel
Miguel

None of the songs really excites me. The songs are ok, but none is Eurovision material. Passe partout is a nice cute song, Barbara sang really well, I don’t like the staging. It’s a bit messy. Medo de sentir has a nice melody, but it lacks a momentum. If it had more power it would be the clear winner. Elisa sings really well. Gerbera amarela do sul is very artistic. The only song that the live performance really elevated. It deserved to qualify. Movimento is the only song with “movement”. The only upbeat song. I agree with all the 4… Read more »

Female lovely
Female lovely
Reply to  Miguel

Couldnt be more agree with you.. ???

Jessey
Jessey

I was a blasted fan but Barbara surprised me I quite like it live

Elsa

WOW, Felipe Sambado has convinced me! And for those who do not understand the lyrics: it is a critique of nepotism!!! Which is something unfortunately very common in Europe… 🙁

Reply to  Elsa

“A Consulate (consulado) for me, a Consulate (consulado) for you, oh my oncle, I am so satisfied (consolado) …”

Reply to  Elsa

Nice take, now I get it. What about the meaning of the Gerbera? Is the flower a symbol for something in Portuguese culture?

Reply to  Sabrina

I am not sure 100% but it could be a metaphor for Portugal because he sings “Mais eucalipto que pinheiro/ É deserto o ano inteiro” – more eucalypts than pines, it is a desert all year. Every year, Portugal suffers from deadly wildfires and one of the reasons for that is that instead of repopulating the forests with native trees and plants, eucalypts (Australian tree!!!) are planted instead just because they grow faster, which in turn cause a “desert”, first they dry the land all around them as they suck all the water in, plus they burn fast like a… Read more »

Reply to  Elsa

Thanks @Elsa for sharing this.

Wow, Portugal. Filipe with Gerbela Amarela do Sol. O-M-G. I loved everything about it yet I understood nothing! Nada nada. The most contrast and intrigue and mystery and theater. What went on there? The sound of the song is amazing with a sort of rockish-celtic mysterious vibe yet determined and powerful. Filipe’s acting was on point. Very confident! Voice on point and the performance very cohesive despite all the contrasting elements which I could not make any sense of. The colour palette amazing. The costumes amazing as well. This performance was a gem. Congratulations!!!!

Nicolas
Nicolas

At first we say WTF is this but the more I listen and watch the more I like it. Qualification for final well deserved.

Reply to  Nicolas

Yes Nicolas, it is deserved and hopefully he will be the winner of FdC. I had a WTF moment too when I started to see it. The music is fantastic and breaks all molds together with the performance and the staging. I love it and it’s my favourite of the season at the moment.

Hyunwoo
Hyunwoo

Bravo Bárbara Tinoco !

Kosey
Kosey

I loved Movimento, it is such a great song. The performance was great, full of energy, a great dance tune with a vibrant performance. That would be my favourite for Portugal. Elisa, I thought was good, although I’m currently missing a deep connection. Filipe definitely has a stand-out quality – I feel like I need to digest it before I conclude what I think. Barbara – a massive no. Sorry, I tried to be open-minded, but that song and performance is just about everything I don’t like in music – way too sickly, jazzy, over the top. It’s the only… Read more »

keith mawson
keith mawson

Will be playing Rebellion on the night in place of whatever is sent from Portugal.

What is Gerbera amarela about?

Mr X
Mr X
Reply to  Whisker

It´s a yellow kind of flower in the south.

Reply to  Whisker

It reads to me as personal to the songwriter. I would not like to guess at the metaphors otherwise; best to ask the songwriter.

Reply to  Purple Mask

My literary teacher said that it’s not for us to ask ”What did the author think by that?”, but rather to draw your own conclusion from your experience. Most of the time, the two collide. But sometimes, when a book / song / movie is based on symbolism, you can draw something else from it and still have a valid theory, as most art is (at least partially) subjective. That said, GADS is really enigmatic and I’d really like to hear what the author has to say. My theory would be it’s about finding sense and comfort in a world… Read more »

Reply to  Colin

Thanks for sharing guys. I am a lot into this entry.

AMPR
AMPR
Reply to  Whisker

As a portuguese woman, I actually felt Filipe was talking (in metaphor) about King Sebastião, a portuguese king that disappeared in battle in Alcácer Quibir, a place in Morroco. Not only I think the lyrics simbolized that, but also the stage really tells It all. At least that’s what I got from the song and staging.

Reply to  AMPR

Good to see this interpretation of the performance and song. I am so intrigued. So much mystery.

hebbuzz
hebbuzz

Passe-partout is a clear winner. Please Portugal send that song allthough she sings “I’m not your trophee”

It’s not often that I change my mind on songs after seeing a live which is slightly better of worse than expected. Especially with countries which pre-released their songs months in advance, so I had time to dwell on it. However, with Portugal I think I maybe listened to them twice when first released, so the live versions really changed my perspective on some things. I believe that Portugal did all the right choices last night. The four qualifiers were undoubtedly better than the four non-qualifiers. It pains me to say, but a good song like Rebellion suffered so much… Read more »

Xoxoxo
Xoxoxo

Where are Blasted – Rebellion? So original song for ESC. Portugal made a bad choice.

Reply to  Xoxoxo

I thought so too… before seeing their live performance. 🙁

keith mawson
keith mawson
Reply to  Xoxoxo

Can’t see Portugal getting out of the semi’s Blasted was the only good song, Maybe next year.

Nicky91
Nicky91
Reply to  keith mawson

blasted were mediocre live compared to their glory years

Barbara with french vibes in her song can possible get same results, reviews as Austria 2016 with Zoe, only difference i find barbara’s more unique with portuguese language alongside French sound

Elisa is a good runner up here, her live is great, and i hope she’ll have a good career after this 🙂

Lise
Lise
Reply to  Xoxoxo

I couldn’t get passed the fact that the way they were singing the chorus sounded like “We are Belgium”

Doris
Doris
Reply to  Lise

Belgium has still time to get rid of ‘Release me’ and instead send Blasted Mechanism

Robert
Robert

Passé partout all the way.. But probably missing something in the lyric but why’s the guitar player pushed aside after 10 seconds.. Strange

Skiwalko
Skiwalko
Reply to  Robert

“Passe-Partout” is about a girl, who is dumping her boyfriend because he only treated her like a “pretty thing” and didn’t appreciate her efforts to acquaint him with the works of the biggest French artists. At the beginning Barbara’s singing: “No, it’ll never work, it’s not meant to be, it’s over between us, my love / I tried to tell you, make you understand that it was coming to an end”. I guess the guitarist is meant to represent the boyfriend mentioned in the lyrics.

Robert
Robert
Reply to  Skiwalko

Thanks 4 the explanation.. Makes sense, for a non Portugese speaking viewer it may come across as odd.. Love the song and overall staging though

Reply to  Skiwalko

Indeed, she was singing to him and then the dancer sent him off the stage.

Reply to  Whisker

Such bad acting yet so comical.

Nicky91
Nicky91
Reply to  Skiwalko

only the instrumentals are typically French, which is tiago nacarato’s own style

i love barbara her interacting with the dancers, i like the whole lalaland vibe, i never like it when artists pose into the camera too much

Rui
Rui
Reply to  Skiwalko

And the player was in fact the author of the song…. Just asa curious fact… 🙂

Alaska
Alaska
Reply to  Robert

The guitar player is the composer of the song, Tiago Nacarato.

Let it rain
Let it rain

Why don’t you like Barbara’s dress? Is one of the most comfortable pieces of clothing, perfect for ventilation and to move freely. Jeans=hell.

Doris
Doris
Reply to  Let it rain

Yes I hope Portugal has learned the lesson of trying being sophisticated in outfits with the Conan hideous costume they send last year to Tel-Aviv

Marcus
Marcus

Sooo glad Gerbera Amarela do Sur passed through to the final, the song is amazing and the stage show fits the song perfectly. Portugal, please send this piece of art to Rotterdam! <3

Raúl Pereira Simao
Raúl Pereira Simao

Well… just can’t understand…. why did we loose a chance to make (finally) a great stage show at esc… Blasted are used to stadiums and major stadios and events… and they were confined on a studio. Plus they singed in english …. so. But they have faults. At the same time it somehow looked that didn t care and. For god sake why did theu adress the people in english????? Barbara will nit have a chance… too frenxh and aomehow old fashion. At this mimet elisa is our best chance. But. It has to : be revamped. There as to… Read more »

What do you mean “finally”? You won the whole thing not too long ago!

Raúl Pereira Simao
Raúl Pereira Simao
Reply to  Joe

Yes. With a great song. But not fireworks…. we have never send an epic staging

James
James

Dança Conmigo

Raúl Pereira Simao
Raúl Pereira Simao
Reply to  James

Damca comigo or eu quero ser tua have some … but no quality.

Peter KDVF
Peter KDVF

I hope one of these scenarios happened:
Portugal – LIVE – Bárbara Tinoco– Passe-Partout – Grand Final – Eurovision 2020
Or
Portugal – LIVE – Elisa– Medo de Sentir – Grand Final – Eurovision 2020

Apple
Apple
Reply to  Peter KDVF

Diz Só is winning lowkey

Lomba
Lomba

If Portugal was a person it would probably be a somewhat melancholic gay hipster with a giant septum in his nose, who went to a well known art school and now makes some weird sculptures. Nobody really gets them except his inner circle who are exactly the same characters as him while everybody else is considered too dumb.

Marseille
Marseille
Reply to  Lomba

Well someone’s never met a Portuguese person in their life.

Miguel Lupi
Miguel Lupi
Reply to  Lomba

I’m Portuguese and I have to agree with that lol

BREXIT CAREER WOMAN
BREXIT CAREER WOMAN
Reply to  Miguel Lupi

oi amore, tá-me a matar calore
kizomba tem sabore

Reply to  Lomba

I am Portuguese too and it is true that we take ourselves too seriously and have always a melancholic vibe! The avant-garde/indie aspect, though, it is more of a urban-tribal thing, not a general characteristic – thanks God! hahaha

BREXIT CAREER WOMAN
BREXIT CAREER WOMAN
Reply to  Elsa

eu prefiro kizomba

Albert
Albert

Well for me the best is medo de sentir

Nicky91
Nicky91
Reply to  Albert

raw emotion, purely a performance which lets the music do the talking, i like the magic behind the song, and elisa’s live is stunning

also cool how the ”viva la vida” producer (yes the coldplay hit) is behind the instrumental work for this song 🙂

Reply to  Nicky91

Wait…Brian Eno produced a potential Eurovision song??

xohxoh
xohxoh

I’m not sure about Passe-Partout staging, looks messy.

Simply not worth it
Simply not worth it

The amount of negativity, jeez, calm down… Elisa, huge surprise for me. Please take it all down, you’re looking uncomfortable with that clothes. Put on some jeans, sneakers, t-shirt like it was your bedroom and shine with that amazing voice and song! You’re my winner but you need to be simpler on stage.

PP77
PP77

Barbara is best. But better will be with one male dancer or without dancers, and no more this type of dress and this colour

Doris
Doris
Reply to  PP77

No, the staging and clothes were good.

You can’t have a bloodbath semi without spilling some blood. Blasted would possibly do better in a bigger stage, but their performance tonight was a big letdown. So now Bárbara is the sole frontrunner and I’m fine with that. She’s the cutest and her vocals sounded just like the record. I would just recommend they tone down the La La Land staging to avoid getting moonlighted by someone. Sambado elevated his song with his presence, Eliza was very relatable and Throes + the Shine were a lot of fun. Lots of dark horses in this race yet.

BleuKnaveXD236
BleuKnaveXD236

Okay, just watched all the performances on YouTube… gotta say disappointed that Blasted Mechanism wasn’t a qualifier but I understand why, was very disappointed about their performance overall. That said I’m glad that my other favorite made it Throne + The Shine, that was a great performance in my opinion(maybe change the outfits but fashion isn’t my expertise). The other three qualifiers were good as well. So my top four of the qualifiers are: 1. Throne + The Shine(love the overall package, save the outfits) 2. Elisa(such a good performer and her voice was great, maybe get new backing singers?)… Read more »

keith mawson
keith mawson
Reply to  BleuKnaveXD236

Rebellion was the only decent song in the entire collection of *songs* Maybe next year Portugal

ImFromRomania
ImFromRomania

I love Barbara song from the first listen

You can have fun with a heavy topic. Anonymous tread the same ground for Andorra 13 years ago and they figured out that balance.

If I’m being real, I never really got into Blasted Mechanism but I found Barbara incredibly charming, so I’m satisfied.

Reply to  Joe

She gives me the same vibes as an Alma or Leonora

Reply to  Joe

Actually, wait, I just ignored the most obvious comparison when it comes to incorporating French culture into a non-French act: Zoe! And she did great with the televote.
The staging also makes me think of the “Heart Beats” staging from Supernova. (Also, you’re welcome for getting that song stuck in your head again).

emeej
emeej

Blasted definately should have made it through.. but happy for Barbara and Elisa, both of them would be interesting entries for Portugal

keith mawson
keith mawson
Reply to  emeej

Rebellion was only good song in the entire pile.

Skiwalko
Skiwalko

“Passe-Partout” has really grown on me, I’ve been listening to it every day for the past two weeks, I love its sass and French vibe. Live performance did not let me down, Barbara’s vocals were practically indistinguishable from the studio version. My only advice is to tone down the staging a little, I don’t reckon such a cute little tune needs disco lighting and dancing crazier than charleston.

Reply to  Skiwalko

Spot on. I completely agree. 🙂

BadWoolfGirl
BadWoolfGirl
Reply to  Skiwalko

It could get some french points because France is voting in the second semi final as Portugal.

Serafina
Serafina

Portugal – LIVE – Throne + The Shine – Movimento – Grand Final – Eurovision 2020

Mia
Mia
Reply to  Serafina

Movimento all the way

CoochieStank
CoochieStank

Filipe has made it’s way from being a song that i didn’t care about to probably my favourite. Good job <3

Nice to Mit
Nice to Mit

Filipe was the stand out!

Doris
Doris
Reply to  Nice to Mit

For the big laugh you may be right.

Zoli
Zoli

WTF Portugal? Are you crazy? The best song was eliminated?
Now Portugal are going to stay at the semi-final again.

keith mawson
keith mawson
Reply to  Zoli

WTF indeed. Won’t get out of the semis.

Jakub
Jakub

WTF??? Blasted Mechanism was eliminated? So Portugal will never grow up to send a song in English… so the next final without Portugal

Chessguy99
Reply to  Jakub

The performance was not good. Vocals were off. They didn’t deserve to advance.

Serafina
Serafina
Reply to  Jakub

Don’t blame Portugal my friend, Blasted Mechanism’s performance was outrageous, really bad live vocals and the singer didn’t even pronounce “Rebellion” properly which made it sound like a joke act. Rebelgium lol. “Next final without Portugal” Brave words, but no, there’s still plenty of quality in this year’s Festival Da Canção.

DDRaven
DDRaven
Reply to  Serafina

Nah, Portugal is a safe non qualifier, has been since the songs released

Serafina
Serafina
Reply to  DDRaven

Well, that’s your opinion, not a fact, and I strongly disagree, btw. I’m pretty sure you felt the same way about a lot of countries that did qualify last year lolol. Y’all always want to be right about everything, it’s insane

Reply to  Jakub

The more languages, the better.
C’est mieux s’il y a plus des langues.
Es mejor si hay más lenguas.
Quanto mais idiomas existir, melhor.
Erm… Mein Deutsch ist nicht gut. 🙂

Skiwalko
Skiwalko
Reply to  Purple Mask

Me English nicht verstehen, let’s speak dance.

Reply to  Skiwalko

Haha, thanks for reminding me how so many of my youthful flings started. 🙂

Maldric
Maldric
Reply to  Jakub

grow up to send a song in english??? Thank God Portugal is not childish enough to send a song in english
Keep loyal to your language Portugal!

Doris
Doris
Reply to  Jakub

What I just read ? At Eurovision since language rule was abolished we should rather say some countries will never grow up to send a song in their native langage. jeez , why some people want Eurovision to be an all english contest ??

James
James
Reply to  Jakub

“Re-Belgium”

Livs
Livs

Last year all the qualifiers improved in the final, hope the same happens this year but at least there is something to work with! Hope next semi has better vocal delivery though!

Jeydelrey
Jeydelrey

I liked Medo De Sentir before watching this semi but it’s now my favorite. I really enjoyed the live version and Elisa is such a great singer. I’m rooting for her 🙂

No One
No One

It’s incredible, 4/4 of my qualifiers actually qualified.
I like Medo de Sentir, but I’m a tad too worried it might win and there are plenty of ballads already, they’ll end up overshadowing each other and ultimately fading away for me. Better less but good.
[I must confess when Filipe got on the stage I called my mom over and she said “oh my God it’s portuguese Achille Lauro” ahah]

Nice to Mit
Nice to Mit
Reply to  No One

Hum, maybe you should Google Ney Matogrosso, he resembles a lot more.

VanillaGirl
VanillaGirl
Reply to  Nice to Mit

Exactly! First thought when I first watched him on stage: Ney Matogrosso meets Zeca Afonso.

that song was so linkin park reject from 2014, and LP did release a very similar song in 2014.

Mia
Mia
Reply to  Jo.

Omg true
And I’ve always hated Linkin Park anyway 😛

Reply to  Mia

LP were my fave band when I was 10-14 and they were big deal (Hybrid Theory/Meteora), but then they went poppy and their songs started to become cheesy and repetitive. I have no idea of what they’re doing these days, specially without Chester.

Mia
Mia
Reply to  Jo.

Yeah, they overall went cheesy, I prefer other metal genres to nu metal

James
James
Reply to  Jo.

They grew up and they never felt the need to stick to a particular style to remain relevant.