This year, Romania opted for a radical change in strategy to Selecția Națională 2020, internally selecting 20 year old singer Roxen and shortlisting five songs to proceed to the revamped national final.

In the mix is an emotional love track “Alcohol You”, the empowering song “Storm”, the deep house sounding “Colours”, the Latino-infused “Cherry Red” and the edgy track “Beautiful Disaster”.

The winning song will be selected by a combination of jury and televote, in an even 50/50 split. In the case of a tie, the public vote will indicate the winning song.

With the national final on March 1, we are asking you to have your say and vote for your favourite song in our poll. After listening to the competing song entries below, vote for as many acts you’d like, but remember, you can only vote once!

Selecția Națională 2020: Competing Songs

Song 1 – “Alcohol You”

Composers: Ionut Armas, Viky Red

Lyricists: Ionut Armas, Breyan Isaac

Song 2 – “Storm”

Composers: Minelli, Vicky Red

Lyricists: Minelli

Song 3 – “Colors”

Composers: Julie Frost, Breyan Isaac, Alex Cotoi

Lyricists: Julie Frost, Breyan Isaac

Song 4 – “Cherry Red”

Composers: Theea Miculescu, Sebastian Barac, Marcel Botezan, Costel Dominteanu

Lyricists: Theea Miculescu

Song 5 – “Beautiful Disaster”

Composers: Breyan Isaac, Alex Coti

Lyricists: Breyan Isaac, Julie Frost

About Roxen

Deep House singer and performer Larisa Roxana “Roxen” Giurgiu has been involved with music from a young age and is currently one of the most played artists on Romanian radio. Her music and style has seen her compared to artists like Billie Eilish and Dua Lipa.

In September, she was featured vocalist on SICKOTOY’s “You Don’t Love Me”. The song was playlisted internationally and so far has clocked up over 4.5 million YouTube views.

In November, Roxen released her solo debut single “Ce-ti Canta Dragostea”. The electronic track has a folk-pop tinge with Romanian lyrics. To date, it has enjoyed more than 8.7 million views on YouTube.

The Romanian popstress was selected from the roster of Global Records, after being part of a shortlist that included two other artists.

What do you think? What song should Roxen sing at Eurovision 2020? Tell us your thoughts below!

Follow all of our Romania Eurovision 2020 news

Zaz
Zaz

Can’t we have her sing all 5 in the Grand Final? I just can’t choose, all of them are incredibly good

Roxen’s uploaded some live sessions of each song on her YT.
The performances look very promising.

Reply to  Briekimchi

Yes, I’ve seen a few. The sound is different of course from the studio version. I was good to feel them “alive” and not just from the studio. I am wondering how the live show performances will look like on Sunday. I for one am excited for sure.

Alcohol You, in particular, seems to work really well when delivered as a performance. It’s the one of the five that I see justifying the current odds Romania have.

Reply to  Briekimchi

Both Alcohol You and Beautiful Disaster sit solidly in my number 1 spot and it’s difficult to choose between the two because both are so good! I will keep my comments about the live performance after the show on Sunday but so far from what I’ve seen in these videos Roxen looks a lot more confortable delivering Alcohol You in a live performance then the rest.

Iberian
Iberian

All these songs have so much potential, yet it always feels like something is missing…
Like, it wets my appetite, but gives me no meal… you get what I mean?

Anyways, Alcohol You, Storm and Cherry Red are the best of the 5

Luna
Luna

If “Storm” wins it’ll be the third time in a tow that a song called “Storm” will be at the Eurovision Song Contest, after the United Kingdom and SuRie in 2018 and Estonia and Victor Crone in 2019. Just saying.

Andi
Andi

I already said that I like none of them, but if Romania has to send one of these, then “Beautiful Desaster” please

Yeoei
Yeoei

Alcohol you intro reminds me of Arcade melody …

Reply to  Yeoei

My mother said the same, she didn’t even realise it’s not Arcade until she heard Roxen’s voice. The intro is almost identical.

Gabi
Gabi
Reply to  Veta

Are you sure you have listened that song? Melody wise it has nothing common; the whole vibe and the decorations look similar but claiming that it is almost identical is not correct

Wiwibloggs, I’ve tried twice to submit my review of Beautiful Disaster but my comment does not appear. Can you help, please? Thanks so much.

“BEAUTIFUL DISASTER” Trying again to post the comment with some tweaks as it may been eaten up by the filter!! Back to the song: I had several shock-surprise moments when I read the lyrics. Blue heavens!! So much to unpack! This song is crazy mad awesome. Such an impact. Both music and lyrics-wise, as well as for the potential for extraordinary visuals and choreography. My understanding is that Roxen is a confident woman who likens “love” with something negative at the beginning (“fixed fight”, “snake bite”, “black widow”) but succumbs to her feelings and the person she loves. And then… Read more »

“slave or master”

Reply to  Veta

Good catch. Master indeed.

Colors has been lingering in my head since Friday.

Sergod Legendzarev
Sergod Legendzarev

Hands down for Cherry Red, even though Beautiful Disaster is my favourite

Fun or ban?
Fun or ban?

Alcohol You, that’s the answer! Cherry Red is good, but not as good as Alcohol You!

Victoire
Victoire

Some of these could be decent, but the English is really broken in most. How come?

Agree about the lyrics

TheLastRide
TheLastRide

Song 4 – “Cherry Red” no question about it , this song is top 3 at the final for sure , the rest may even not qualify

Andres Mazariegos
Andres Mazariegos

This is a nice example of 5 entries capable of surpassing the semis, and some even might be considered winner alert. I’m so happy for her, this is truly a celebration of her as an artist and shows how capable of delivering are the team behind the production. Now we just need to hear her live and I couldn’t be more hopeful that she will deliver. In another note I’m so happy she has pretty much all 5 songs like quality entries, especially after the harsh and unjustified comments made by MIHAI. This dude needs to be cancelled, his ego… Read more »

Thoughts on “Cherry red”: awesome bop, very well made, basic lyrics yet they convey a feel-good vibe. What I understand is that Roxen interprets a girl that is telling her lover that they are finished and moves on in a cherry red car ready to conquer the world, especially Malagá. The horn sound effect may reflect driving in the red cherry car and expresses recklessness and a carefree happy vibe of a woman that feels good with herself and her life. The lyrics are somewhat confusing. From “amor your loving is loco” to “came and took my heart away” to… Read more »

MaryJane
MaryJane

Don’t get me wrong, I agree with most of what you wrote. However…
“I am not your toy,
You, stupid boy” is not entirely lyrical as well.

Reply to  MaryJane

Much appreciated. “Toy” was a winner because of the message it had re: the me too movement that at that time was in full blow. Very current and important in our contemporary history at least from the point of view of justice for women in the face of gender violence. The song was an interesting take on girls and women’s empowerment conveyed in a quite easy to understand way. And enhanced with the help of the visuals. My opinion. You’re not wrong when you mention the lyrical quality of Toy but here the comparison doesn’t stand. Apples and oranges. Toy… Read more »

Veta

Look at her channel, the lyrics are in description. There are quoting signs. Her Spanish-speaking lover is saying “I’m leaving mi amor”, and then she sings “come back to me”

Reply to  Veta

OK thanks. I looked and you are right. All the more confusing for those who can’t hear the brackets. But knowing this ermm reading it makes more sense. Thanks again. Still a good song.

West
West

For me the clear winner is Beautiful Disaster, but Alcohol You is also great.

Andres Mazariegos
Andres Mazariegos
Reply to  West

I’m perhaps one of the few people who loves beautiful disaster as an act. But to be honest that song isn’t winning ESC, europe isn’t ready. Alcohol you seems like a more plausible contender.

Héctor
Héctor

“Alcohol You” and “Colors” are my favs. Both have potential to do well with both jury and televote. “Cherry Red” is good too but I don’t like the song that much. Especially because of the latin style and the Spanish lines.

Karworld
Karworld
Reply to  Héctor

I guess you are Spanish, so I fully understand your point. For me the forced Spanish in the song sounds terrible

Reply to  Karworld

I don’t think the Spanish sounds forced at all. All the words fit in the narrative and the mix of English and Spanish sounds natural. At least to me. You’ll find nearly the same in music from the Caribbean.

Jørgen
Jørgen

Cherry red is a good radio friendly song, it would do very well but i don’t see it having winning vibes….. Alcohol you is very atmospheric and it has potential with a very good staging to win (at least in juries) and enter top 5 in televoting…….

I am enjoying all of them except Storm so to me it’s all about the live performance. I am looking for ease, confidence, confident body movement, smiling with the eyes, smiling, pain, doubts on Roxen’s face, whatever the lyrics and melody call for. But of course, save the best for Rotterdam.
In fact, the more I listen to the songs the more I enjoy them (except Storm, sorry).

I am all for Alchohol You for the win in Selectia Nationala. My very personal comments and opinions: First comment: I wish to first appreciate the lyrics. Two distinct verses with a chorus that repeats twice fitting perfectly under the 3 minutes mark. Very good narrative of a broken love story with Roxen interpreting the love and the situation with a lot of dignity, sadness, determination to recover the lost love, and strength as expressed right at the end of the last chorus: “Alcohol you when I’m drunk, Alcohol you when I’m drunk, I will call you when I’m strong”.… Read more »

Second comment: Music wise (not my specialty from a technical standpoint but as a music lover): cohesive expression of various kinds of instruments used progressively from blown instruments (sort of flute but I don’t know how to call that) to piano and strings and percussion. So many instruments, so many layers of emotions! It feels like layers come on and off and then on repeat. *Amazing*! The match between the instruments and the voice is almost perfect. Roxen’s voice is gorgeous and the way she interprets (almost) each word with feeling and emphasis on the right words is incredible. Feelings… Read more »

Third comment: I heard the song many times and I believe some minor tweaks are necessary to make it more than perfect in what regards grammar and enunciation. This again is a very personal opinion and I wish to express this in the most constructive way possible: First verse: Roxen enunciates “call you” in present tense but it should sound “called you” as in the lyric video. And it makes sense since “lost” and “wrote” are in past tense as well. Suggestion to enunciate “called” more clearly. Chorus: “Why do fairy tale fail, baby” – the verb is in plural… Read more »

Concluding remarks: This song is an out of the ordinary way of expressing a very common topic – lost love. No tears or whining. Mature love and a young woman with her head on her shoulders. A woman with high emotional intelligence I might add. Smart and analytical and with a lot of self-awareness and dignified yet sad. This song has kept me hooked from the first moment and made me go through a range of emotions with the help of the exceptional instrumentation and voice inflections. The ending of that monologue left me intrigued. I have reconsidered the use… Read more »

Mia
Mia

Wow, Una, love you from the bottom of my….. for this interpretation, it’s so beautiful 🙂
Btw Roxen published today different videos for all 5 songs.

Reply to  Mia

Awww, Mia!! Thanks so much 🙂 You made my day with this comment 🙂 I will check the new videos soon! My review of Beautiful Disaster will be up next.

“Why do fairy tale fail baby”: poetic license, I like it.

Reply to  Whisker

I hadn’t thought of that, Whisker. That’s fine then.

Veta

She sings “why do fairytaleS fail”

Veta

Need to say neither of the songs left me really impressed. They are not bad at all, in fact, I really like some things about them, they just like… lacking smth, don’t reach their maximum potential by now. Cherry Red was really good until that “instrumental”-wanna be part, it’s just freaking me out, can’t listen to it at all. Alcohol You… personally I find the verses, the bridge, the instrumental, the word plays and some of the rhymes (“refuse-fake news” for example) very beautiful and high-qualitative, yet the chorus sounds a bit of a downgrade to me, but that’s not… Read more »

Alcohol You and Cherry Red are equally excellent choices for Romania.

Rainer1
Rainer1

roxen” could compete with any song for any country and would look good anywhere. I prefer “you alcohol” and would be my number 3 at the moment

NscoN
NscoN

I hope that Alcohol you will be chosen, but only if her voice can convey live the same emotions as in the studio version. Otherwise, Cherry red will be a much safer choice. My ears will be glued to TVR this Sunday to discover how she can sing live.

Jessey
Jessey

Cherry red

Erik
Erik

My top 3

Think about things
Alcohol you
Solovey

Helene
Helene

How is she live? Definately a contender for the win. But if she is not good live it will not happen.

Stan
Stan
Reply to  Helene

Nobody really knows… she’s a newcomer with almost no stage experience.

Helene
Helene
Reply to  Stan

Well lets hope she can make it.

Emett
Emett
Reply to  Helene

Check for her channell – She posted a live session for every song .. she is very ,very good..

Kobe
Kobe

All of them 😀

Mia
Mia

This selection is one of the highlights of the season for me, such a pleasant surprise.
“Alcohol you” , it’s not “another ballad”, I just love this song, listening on repeat <3
Wouldn't mind Cherry red tbh, but personally I like more Alcohol you.

Stan
Stan

Personally I’d choose Cherry Red. love the beat and most of the lyrics minus the spanglish and the na-na-na. But I don’t think it fits Roxen who doesn’t seem to be a dancer or much of a stage performer. Alcohol you prolly fits her the most. I’d just wish they would elevate the chorus and create some sort of climax towards the end, then it would be perfect.

Danny
Danny

I’d be ok with any but Cherry Red. It’s the only song that doesn’t show off her uniqueness as much.

Ron
Ron

Cherry Red, Alcohol You or Storm will most likely do very well. Either way, I hope she releases a CD after Eurovision with these kinds of songs because she’s AMAZING

Lourdes
Lourdes

Tbh, I’ll be very disappointed if they don’t choose Alcohol You.

Erik
Erik
Reply to  Lourdes

Y?

I love both Cherry Red and Alcohol You. Need to see how Roxen sell them live and in which one she feels more comfortable.
Alcohol You might be another ballad but it would the ballad. Romania would not have a problem.

WannaEatMySpaghetti
WannaEatMySpaghetti

Too much ballads for the moment. If Romania wants to stand out, Cherry Red is the only good option. All songs are good but Cherry Red is the best

...
...

Cherry Red, Storm or Colors.

Polegend Godgarina

anyone knows why “colors” isn’t on spotify? not that i complain since it’s by far the worst one, i just don’t get why it wasn’t uploaded.

Robert
Robert

Worst is quite much isn’t it!!

Serafina
Serafina

Alcohol You is nice, but since we’re getting too many ballads this year, for now I’m team Cherry Red

Harut Hovhannisyan
Harut Hovhannisyan

Alcohol you is an EPIC entery , it’ll be in Top 3 !
Cherry red is more radio friendly and surely will do well but Alcohol you is very Avantgarde

cozmin_cozma_Italy
cozmin_cozma_Italy

Alcohol you!
Art, stunning, deep, emotional, like wiwi said “contemporary “!
Go for gold, Roxen!

...
...

Is there any non contemporary song is this selection?

Edu
Edu

Cherry red FTW PLZ!!! <3 🙂

Kris
Kris

No one seems to like Colors ! I find it quite good

Cherry red needs to remove one of the Rakata and replace it with the “in this cherry cherry red ” part and then it’d be perfect

Malmklang
Malmklang
Reply to  Kris

Colors is my favorite, but surprised to see it at the bottom of the poll…

ESCFanGA
ESCFanGA

Cherry Red is by far the most contemporary song and would do the best at Eurovision.

all of them are really good, well done ROMANIA!

Alcohol You and Cherry Red are by far the best choices. I pick Cherry Red bc it is not a ballad and it could be a huge hit after Eurovision + staging will help a lot. It’s summerish and catchy. Eurovision needs a modern song like this.

Alcohol You is superb but it might not reach the wide audience that Cherry Red will.

Mr X
Mr X

I prefer Alcohol you or Beautiful disaster. Cherry Red is not my cuo of tea.

Luke Gallagher
Luke Gallagher

Cherry Red 100% for Romania! ??

Yahel Aviv
Yahel Aviv

Definitely Cherry red! I can’t wait to hear this song all Summer on the beaches here in Israel. Romania, pls pls pls pick this song to represent you, it’ll be a club banger all over Europe and I wanna see it on Eurovision stage, too! 12 points for Cherry red from Israel

esc1234
esc1234

i wouldnt mind any country taking any of the 4 songs that wont make it through. They are extremely well produced and enjoyable

Jeydelrey
Jeydelrey
Reply to  esc1234

Yes! I’ll take any of them over the one representing my country (France)

samoylover
samoylover

Alcohol You is amazing, a ballad which doesn’t need high notes to stand, and the lyrics are so deep. Cherry Red is a good option too, with one of those Romania can reach the TOP 5 this year easily, but I think Roxen have more potential than singing ‘hola mi amor’ ‘ la costa del sol’ ‘down the streets málaga’…