This Saturday, 20 acts will compete in Moldova‘s epic revamped national final Finala Naţională Eurovision 2020. But of the competing acts, only one can win the ticket to Rotterdam and represent Moldova at Eurovision 2020. The Wiwi Jury — our in-house panel of music unprofessionals — has listened to the 20 acts and ranked their favourites. Who does the jury think should head to Eurovision?

Antranig

1. Diana Rotaru – “Dale dale”

There are some good songs in Moldova this year but none quite compare to “Dale dale”. While critics may argue that it sounds five to ten years past its prime, that’s precisely what I’m loving here. This is a brilliant party song that would go off at Euroclub. Throughout their Eurovision history, Moldova has excelled at upbeat dance songs and there’s no doubt that they would find the right staging to bring the party to life in Rotterdam.

2. Maxim Zavidia – “Take Control”
3. Valeria Pașa – “It’s Time”
4. Natalia Gordienko – “Prison”
5. Catarina Sandu – “Die for You”

Florian

1. Natalia Gordienko – “Prison”

“Prison” sounds ready to hit the Eurovision stage in Rotterdam. Its dark and mysterious appeal sets a completely different tone compared to all the entries we’ve got so far. And most importantly, Natalia really manages to bring the atmosphere across through her vocal delivery in this song. Overall, this song has a lot of potential to bring Moldova back into the top ten given the high production value as well as Natalia’s abilities as a singer and performer.

2. Catarina Sandu – “Die for You”
3. Julia Ilienko feat. Mishel Dar – “Tears”
4. Valentin Uzun & Irina Kovalsky – “Moldovița”
5. Diana Rotaru – “Dale dale”

Luis

1. Pasha Parfeny – “My Wine”

Not in a thousand years I would have imagined I’d be backing Pasha after hating so much on “Lautar”, but well, here we are. This is an absolute guilty pleasure: it’s fun, it’s careless and it surprisingly doesn’t get annoying, despite having many chances of it (I mean, there are 30 seconds of “di-di-di-didi”). Pasha’s way of taking all the stereotypes of his country and playing with them works perfectly. If he’s able to recreate the music video on stage, this Moldovan wine is ready to be served in Rotterdam!

2. Natalia Gordienko – “Prison”
3. Diana Rotaru – “Dale dale”
4. Valentin Uzun & Irina Kovalsky – “Moldovița”
5. Maxim Zavidia – “Take Control”

Pablo

1. Valentin Uzun & Irina Kovalsky – “Moldovița”

Over the editions, we have seen that when Moldova embraces fun, culture and joie-de-vivre, they excel. Everyone knows they can dish out the fun, and “Moldovița” offers that in spades; a cultural explosion of dance, wine and hospitality everyone will be delighted see and dance to. While is it not as hard-hitting as “Ca Adriano Celentano”, this second try is much more palatable and lends itself for a great stage show. Moldova has a brand, and it’s time they return to it and serve what they mastered.

2. Natalia Gordienko – “Prison”
3. Sasha Letty – “Summer of Love”
4. Diana Rotaru – “Dale dale”
5. Maxim Zavidia – “Take Control”

Robyn

1. Natalia Gordienko – “Prison”

There’s something really enjoyable about “Prison”. It layers on the drama but Natalia delivers with such expertise that it never slips into cheesiness. The production combines traditional instruments with a modern electronic sound, resulting in an earthiness amid the driving synth beats. The intense vocal harmonies (“Prison!”) promise something thrilling in the live performance.

2. Pasha Parfeny – “My Wine”
3. Diana Rotaru – “Dale dale”
4. Maxim Zavidia – “Take Control”
5. Valentin Uzun & Irina Kovalsky – “Moldovița”

What do you think? Who should represent Moldova at Eurovision 2020? Tell us your thoughts below.

Read more Moldova Eurovision 2020 news here

Angela
Angela
1 year ago

Moldova please send “Moldovita”
???

Anita
Anita
1 year ago

I am looking forward to the live performances – then I will decide.
I need to support Moldovita because my name is Anita 😉
But I also like Prison and Dale, Dale.

ESC LOU
ESC LOU

Moldovita and Dale Dale are my favourites 🙂

profusioninside
profusioninside
1 year ago

I’m rooting for Touch and Hi Five. Apparently they both are not even close to public faves but still like them most.

1 year ago

I believe “Prison” and “Moldovita” could work for Moldova, for completely different reasons. “Dale Dale” on the other hand, wouldn’t call much attention when compared to the songs Israel, Romania, Serbia and Greece may take to Rotterdam.

Mr X
Mr X
1 year ago

Moldovita or Dale dale please !

1 year ago

I will have to check out the songs again. I tried to see the auditions episode but could not follow through either song enterily. It’s a sad year for Moldova 🙁 . My opinion. And I wish them the best!!!

Nicolas
Nicolas
1 year ago

Moldovita is fun and includes many languages. If Moldova wants to qualify they have to send something memorable with another fun staging potential otherwise they will STAY again in the SF if they send the generic Prison.

1 year ago

I think I might’ve been sleeping on Moldova! I like a couple of songs here. For songs they could have some kind of competitive edge with, Prison or Dale Dale would be the way to go (although Dale Dale gets the edge for me since it’s in Romanian), but I probably enjoyed My Wine and Moldovita the most since I love that kind of music.

Reply to  Joe

Dale dale is actually in both Romanian and Spanish. Verses are in Romanian, the chorus is in Spanish. Yes, this is an option too. It’s a fan-favorite song which could be staged in a fun way.

My top 3 options, for different reasons, would be:
– Alexandru Cibotaru – A really pleasant song in Romanian with actual quality. I don’t see the mass appeal, though.
– Natalia Gordienko- A decent song, good pre-chorus. I can see a lot of staging options with prison bars and lighting contrast.
– Sasha Letty – It’s silly as they come, but it’s such an earworm and if staged well, it could be the new Quero ser tua.

Film
Film
1 year ago

Dale dale is my winner. I also like Do it Slow, Prison and Die From you. Im very curious to see them all performed live with staging and i hope the most deserving one wins. Good luck, Moldova.

Reply to  Bimbamboum

It’s not breaking. It’s just about the Minister of culture trying to convince the French delegation to pick another song. Many already tried to persuade them. Nothing conclusive here.
Also, his reason behind it seems to be solely that it has an English chorus. IMHO, that’s not the main concern, but the fact that the song is boring, dated, poorly written and forgettable.

Bimbamboum
Bimbamboum
Reply to  Colin

In a way, IT IS. I mean at the moment the song has to be written in french, a song like “The best in me” simply cannot be chosen as it is written by a Swedish team who don’t speak french necesseraly. Of course they can translate the whole thing but it has actually no sense : the main identity of the song is the chorus with “you are you are blabla…” as you already know and translating this into french language woudn’t change anything. So we can assume that with a rule like this, “The best in me” would… Read more »

Reply to  Bimbamboum

Unless I missed something, he’s just stating his dissatisfaction and there is no official rule to back it up. Maybe the translation isn’t catching up with all the finesses of the article.

Bimbamboum
Bimbamboum
Reply to  Colin

Yes you’re right. He explained that he is just for now in contact with FTV directors to speak about it and he wants to work with them on a rule like this. Maybe it will end on something but maybe not.

Reply to  Bimbamboum

Talk about possible state interference into culture. As if Eurovision would be the only venue that a country has to showcase their music and culture. Is it his personal opinion or is there something there on the bigger scale? Sacre bleu!!! The biggest issue IMO is the choice of foreign composers for la France, not the fact that the song they send is bilingual. They’ve sent bilingual songs before and one had a lot of success in 2016.

1 year ago

I think it comes down to the sound, too. J’ai cherche and Requiem still sounded distinctly “French.” Alma’s LED show even had all those Parisian landmarks, like the Eiffel Tower.

Loin dici
1 year ago

I mean, yeah. You don’t see state interference in cultural competitions every day. Let’s just consider because they care that they want to interfere.

ImJJ
ImJJ

Dale dale is my fave

1 year ago

We’d all be surprised if it wasn’t “Prison”, right?
I think Moldova have 5-6 songs that they could qualify with in this selection. That’s 5-6 more than they had in their final last year so well done, Moldova!

Irishfan
Irishfan
1 year ago

I’m a difficult person to please. I listened to all the songs in the final and thought they were all really good! Nothing mundane and uninteresting. All the songs would stand out against the songs for Eurovision that have been chosen to date.

Ashton Schier
Ashton Schier
1 year ago

how is do it slow so underrated???? please tell me someone else likes it

Reply to  Ashton Schier

I like things about it. However, in his audition, he managed to deliver it in a really creepy way.

Ashton Schier
Ashton Schier
Reply to  Briekimchi

oh I didn’t watch the auditions. I just listened to the studio tracks and now I think ill just stick with them haha

cheese
cheese
1 year ago

cupcakke’s ‘squidward nose’ instrumental aka dale dale <3 but unfortunately the russian cheese fest kirkorov will win

ag89
ag89
1 year ago

Well, all these are quite cool and can bring Moldova back to the final. Specially those with ethnic flavour: you can always make fun staging.

Natalia’s song will require more imagination to stage it properly.

Reply to  ag89

It’s a Kirkorov song. He probably would get Fokas Evangelinos to do his usual elaborate LED box stuff.

EmilyG
EmilyG
1 year ago

Prison will bring Moldova back in the top 10 for sure. Very strong song and very different from the so called “dream team”. When I first heard I couldn’t believe that Kirkorov is behind this.

Wowzee
Wowzee
1 year ago

Gone the days of Moldova sending a homegrown Moldovan artist (I mean the ethnicity and culture). Nowadays they just sends imported Russian-backed artist with a tons of SIM-card

ZMG
ZMG
1 year ago

For once I strongly disagree with Robyn. To me ‘Prison’ is cheesy AF, with Natalia shouting “Prison!” as if it’s the name of a televised lottery draw

EmilyG
EmilyG
Reply to  ZMG

@ZMG “cheesy” ?????? this is certainly the ONLY word you simply CAN’T use this word even if you are the biggest hater of her 😉

Eurofan
Eurofan
1 year ago

Glad I’m not the only one who likes fun Moldovian songs at Eurovision. 🙂 That being said, I would like to see Moldovita at Eurovision stage.
My second favourite is Die for you.

James
James
Reply to  Eurofan

“…Look into me eyes and see through”.

Sorry, I just had to. hehe

Reply to  James

LOOOOOL! I was lost until I remembered Helena Paparizou’s song. Good one, James! Hahaha!

James
James
Reply to  Eurofan

“Look into my eyes and seee through…”

Sorry, I just had to. hehe

James
James
Reply to  James

Not sure why my post got duplicated but okay. 🙂

Mia
Mia
1 year ago

Why bother listening to others when I see the team is involved?
“Prison” not my cup of tea tho