Iceland is preparing for the grand final of Söngvakeppnin 2020 and the country is buzzing with excitement. Who will go on and represent the tiny island in the north in the Eurovision Song Contest in Rotterdam? Y’all had your say in our poll, which counted a total of 3,822 votes. And the results are in!

Daði og Gagnamagnið is your hot favourite to win Söngvakeppnin 2020 with “Think About Things”.

Daði og Gagnamagnið should win Söngvakeppnin 2020

The quirky band, originally assembled specially for Söngvakeppnin 2017 is back. And this time, they’re not taking any prisoners. They received 1,664 votes and a total of 43.54% of all votes cast.

Not even scratching at their heels is the mesmerizing songstress IVA and “Oculis Videre” with 33.74% or 1,289 votes in total.

In third place is DIMMA, Iceland’s most beloved metal band with 443 votes.

Daði and Gagnamagnið at Söngvakeppnin 2020

Judging by this, it is safe to say that Daði and Gagnamagnið took this poll by storm. Will that be the case on Saturday?

No one knows as yet, but Gagnamagnið has been getting support from all over the world, including Hollywood. Russel Crowe — the Gladiator himself — backed them on Twitter. Not too shabby, if you ask us.

Daði og Gagnamagnið are not exactly an active band outside the Eurovision bubble. As mentioned before, they started the project back in 2017, to compete in that year’s Söngvakeppnin. They quickly became Iceland’s sweethearts, due to their laid back, yet warm and hilarious attitude towards the world and this glorious contest and unforgettable staging for “This Is Love”.

Originally, Daði expected absolutely nothing from the Söngvakeppnin experience. But when the band all of a sudden found themselves competing in the gold duel against Svala’s “Paper”, they realized that maybe, just maybe, Gagnamagnið would become something bigger as time went on.

The band consists of Daði himself, his wife Árný on keyboard and his two friends Jói and Stefán on guitar and….I want to say some sort of saxophone. His sister Sigrún and friend Hulda provide backing vocals. After their successful stint in Söngvakeppnin 2017, Gagnamagnið went on a little hiatus, as Daði and Árný moved to Berlin, where they currently live, along with their young daughter Áróra. She’s the inspiration for her daddy’s lyrics in “Think About Things”. The song sees Daði wondering what she thinks about things now at only ten months old, and what she will think in the future.

“Think About Things” will perform second on Saturday night in Laugardalshöll Arena. While little Áróra definitely thinks her daddy hung the moon, we will have to wait and see what the Icelandic public thinks when the time comes to vote.

Poll Results: Who should win Iceland’s Söngvakeppnin 2020?

1. Daði og Gagnamagnið – “Think About Things” 43.54% (1,664 votes)
  2. IVA – “Oculis Videre” 33.73% (1,289 votes)
  3. DIMMA – “Almyrkvi” 11.59% (443 votes)
  4. Nína – “Echo” 8.63% (330 votes)
  5. Ísold and Helga – “Meet Me Halfway” 2.51% (96 votes)

Total Votes: 3,822

Do you agree with the results? Who should win? Who will win? Let us know in the comments.

Follow all of our Iceland Eurovision 2020 news.

ACE
ACE

It’s sad that Iva didn’t make it to the final two. A much better song than Dimma. She was robbed.

Somebody
Somebody

IVA is out lmao.

Now between Dadi and Dimma.

Richard
Richard
Reply to  Somebody

yradk

Anita
Anita

21:48 – I have watched all the performances. I don’t think Iva should win or will win. Actually Nina did very well. I think Daði or Nina should win. Daði will have better chances at Eurovision I think. By the way, his singing is flawless, impressive voice.

Timi
Timi

That’s why I love ESC: when you hear a song, you think it’s the winner, but you see the live performance and things change. Dadi is amazing on stage and his song has a charm when you hear it together with the performance. It’s soooo good! It has some good energy that I really enjoy! Iva is amazing too, but her song lost something in the semi. It’s difficult to say, but it was underwhelming. She’s stunning, an amazing singer, but the song it’s more a studio song, not a live song. I don’t know. I think Dadi deserves this.… Read more »

KuhKatz
KuhKatz

Even before it went viral, I said that it might be a two horse race between Dadi and Iva (but I do also think that Dimma might have a chance as well). I really tried to like Oculis Videre, I really did, but I can’t share the love of some of you. It’s ok, might be Top 10 material but it leaves me cold. Dadi on the other hand, was my favourite in 2017 (and I still believe he would have done better than Svala) and he is my favourite this year. Think About Things surely lives from his stage… Read more »

oreo
oreo

Unless Icleand picks something else than Iva or Dadi they have a potential top 10 on their hands again this year

Nico deMask
Nico deMask
Reply to  oreo

Wait what

Dirkjan
Dirkjan

Really hoping for Daði addicted to the song, his streams and views are through the roof and they even mentioned it already twice in our national news, a lot of indication that this is Iceland’s best shot. However good luck to all!

Andi
Andi

The poll results exactly show my Top 5 for tonight. Hope for Daði to win this, it would be best choice. I would also be ok with Iva though. But not with the others 🙂

Tibor
Tibor

I am actually fascinated that this kind of new agey, esoterical folk pop is apparently having a renaissance in Eurovision. First Iva, then this Chakra group from Belarus and I’m sure I’m forgetting someone. Have I missed something? Because I haven’t noticed this trend outside Eurovision. Having said that, I am just not a big fan of this genre, there are exceptions to the rule, but Iva clearly is the rule. Daði is an excellent vocalist, I say that since 2017, so I’m not jumping any bandwagon or being brainwashed (what’s up with the conspiracy theories?). His song is fun… Read more »

Timi
Timi
Reply to  Tibor

There was one on Vibdir too. Pich by Katya Chilly, It’s the most bizarre of all. It’s insanely… weird?

Richard
Richard

Having heard Iva’s song for the first time I’m really hoping she can win tonight, it’s absolutely exquisite. And spookily enough, having bought Hatari’s new album, it reminds me of one of the classical pieces they have included. Good luck Iva!

Héctor
Héctor

I will be sad either way, because I would love to see both on Rotterdam. God, I’m so torn lol

Frysk
Frysk

9 out of ten the poll results of wiwibloggs are wrong. Although I kinda like Dadi, musically and artisticly Iva is much better and had all the chance to give Iceland its first win. It is completely different. Love it Love it!

Wtf is this dadi song? it’s horrible and not entertaining. it’s taking eurovision back to dark times when joke entries were doing well.

I’ll be happy if they choose them because they will miss the final and it will be a good slap to them + Netflix propaganda.

Iva is quality but still she shouldn’t win eurovision because her song is not going to be a hit after the contest.

Lilja
Lilja
Reply to  Alex

Daði’s song is not a joke song. The lyrics are about his 10 month old daughter

Mr X
Mr X

Iva or DIMMA!, Dadi is only mediocre for me.

MisterMister
MisterMister

First of all: Iceland’s metal scene is made up by way more known groups such as Solstafir, which is I believe the most famous Icelandic metal act, DIMMA is not even metal.
Second: DA?I NEEDS TO WIN

Catriona Colville
Catriona Colville

This really shows how hype can really sway people. This site was completely behind Iva before the celebrities and retweets. Please think for yourself!

Vrede
Vrede

Not dissimilar to how the bookies work during the actual competition. I’m glad Dadi got hyped. The Netherlands is ready for Reykjavik 2021!

Reply to  Vrede

Rather NQykjavik 2020

Mia
Mia
Reply to  Alex

NQykjavik lmao

Bagu
Bagu

Even though I like IVA and Dadi, I hope Dadi wins

Among all the ballads thus far we don’t keed yet another imo

Duncan
Reply to  Bagu

Iva’s song isn’t a ballad.

Both 2 versions of Think about Things are Top 10 on Spotify in Iceland.
It is also number 1 in Sweden Top 50 viral
Iva can still win tho. Both are great in my opinion so Iceland will say

Sun
Sun

If he wins, he will be my winner of the Eurovision season so far.

MisterMister
MisterMister
Reply to  Sun

People down voting you but dont worry I feel you, Da?i needs to win and he’ll easily made it in my esc 2020 top 5, since the selected songs so far ain’t good

Pancake
Pancake

Let’s face it: it’s a fistfight between Dadi and IVA

Reply to  Pancake

I’d still put money on Iva in an actual fist fight…

Thorbeta
Thorbeta

My personal choice would be IVA, but I’m fine with Dadi too, since I find his song quite enjoyable to be honest. I’m getting a little distracted by the actual performance, but on the other hand there are many issues with IVA’s staging too. Anyway either choice will help Iceland stand out in Rotterdam, that’s for sure.

tom
tom

Dadi FTW

Edward
Edward

I think Iva is being robbed, the only reason people like Daði now is because Russell Crowe tweeted about him once…. It’s definitely something to do with the Netflix sponsorship which is wrong because they shouldn’t be favouring acts, let Iceland decide not Twitter.

MisterMister
MisterMister
Reply to  Edward

The only reason why ppl like IVA is because of her disability tho, the song is good but It wouldn’t be that much appreciated with another singer

Edward
Edward
Reply to  MisterMister

Because her disability is a part of the meaning to the song it’s not as if she’s singing a love song and just because she’s blind everyone likes it. And even if that was the case it’s still a million times better than some company from a different company trying to decide your entry for you. She was the favourite before Netflix got involved, she had double the views on YouTube and more hype.

Tajikistan
Tajikistan
Reply to  MisterMister

I didn’t even know she was blind, you’re pulling the excuse the Kostov fangirls pulled when Salvador won and it’s pretty disgusting…

Reply to  Tajikistan

Me neither. I found out about that condition a week or so after I heard the song. Trying to put down a person because of a chronic health condition is below ….

Lilja Karen
Lilja Karen
Reply to  MisterMister

She is blind yes but she really doesn’t like when media makes a sob story out of it. She said in an interview something like yes I’m blind, so what? I don’t need sight to be able to sing.

Reply to  MisterMister

MisterMister, you like to go and try to hit below the belt, don’t you? The fact that you said her song was good doesn’t make your comment any better. As if her disability were a choice of hers. As if it wouldn’t be a challenge for her personally and for her family and carers. As if it would impede her to sing so beautifully. All the more of the best to her because *everything* in the day-to-day life can be difficult for a person with visual impairement if your compare them to people with good eyesight that can do so… Read more »

Nicolas
Nicolas

I will lose faith on humanity if IVA doesn’t win.

No One
No One

So people think dadi would struggle to qualify, but still consider The Roop as possible winners, when they’re both in the same league.
I don’t get Eurovision logic. I think I never will.

Anita
Anita
Reply to  No One

This didn’t qualify https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XeOn-GG_eHo
and The Roop is leading the odds 😉

No One
No One
Reply to  Anita

And?

Héctor
Héctor
Reply to  Anita

That was pure noise. You should not compare Inculto to The Roop or Dadi. Those are actual good songs.

Teddie
Teddie

IVA is unique and her song is a great representation of Iceland and the language. Her voice is really good as well and is my Iceland NF winner however she really needs to step up her staging, with a super beautiful dress, this song would have potential in the finals. IVA needs to be the next Kate Miller (Australia 2019) and change the staging. Goodluck Iceland, love from Australia.

Teddie
Teddie
Reply to  Teddie

Gosh, this nickname game is surely getting out of hand!

Iceland has my attention this Super Saturday. I am all for Iva for the win. I don’t know who will win but I am rooting hard for Iva! GO IVA!

Somebody
Somebody

I completely forgot about this, lol. Can’t wait to see the final result.

Sale
Sale

Industry plant.. justice for IVA

Reply to  Sale

What does it even mean? No snark, just curious.

Sale
Sale

Campaigning for an act via their lable, with blogs, media coverage, other artists promoting it, and then acting like it’s all natural and that the act itself or it’s label didn’t have anything to do with it..

Polegend Godgarina
Reply to  Sale

…which usually ends up with said artist deluding all commercial expectations and having little success and remaining relatively unknown despite all the efforts. example from the real world: normani’s “motivation”

Reply to  Sale

Sale, thanks for the clarification. Let’s hope that Iva wins tonight. GO IVA!

Polegend Godgarina

honestly… someone who campaigned so much to sabotage last year’s icelandic participation in israel doesn’t really get the point of the contest. beyond the fact that i personally don’t vibe with him at all, i don’t think he’d be a good representative.

Somebody
Somebody

Yeah, let’s ban Ukraine for Maruv scandal and get $1M from Madonna back, too…

Teddie
Teddie
Reply to  Somebody

Let’s make Madonna perform again, this time for free!

Roy Moreno
Roy Moreno

I’d be happy with either Iva or Daðy 🙂
Great song, both of them

Kosey
Kosey

I can’t get on the Dadi bandwagon, sorry. When the songs were first released, Iva had about 80% of the vote. Now, Dadi’s video and stage performance is very good, but I can’t believe everyone now thinks the song is amazing. I guess this shows the power of the internet, but I do wish people were a little less sheep-like in their behaviour.

Robert
Robert
Reply to  Kosey

So people are sheep like when they say what they like.. Iva’s song is sooooooo dull.. Can’t see that winning, sorry

Kosey
Kosey
Reply to  Robert

All I am saying is I didn’t hear anybody saying Dadi was amazing and Iva was dull when the songs were first released. It’s only since the internet exploded that lots of people now seem to like Dadi and have started criticizing Iva.

Reply to  Kosey

I never thought Iva was dull but I was 100% behind Dadi as my #1 from the start. He was easily the best act in 2017, too. There were other commenters who felt the same. It was a minority…and it still seems to be.
I don’t know why so many people need to try to knock down Dadi just because he has a chance of beating their favourite. They’re both really good potential entries. Try to remember that Iceland are still one year remove from Ari and two years removed from Svala.

Kosey
Kosey
Reply to  Briekimchi

Of course, there are outliers but Iva was the overwhelming favorite when the songs were released.
And I’m impartial, my favorite is Isold and Helga.

Reply to  Kosey

Maybe it’s just that now we have reached the final, more people are paying attention. It’s not necessarily that people have switched.

MisterMister
MisterMister
Reply to  Robert

Iva isnt even good lol

Anita
Anita

Not as high level as Hatari, but I think with both songs Isceland has a good chance to qualify and both songs will have their lovers. I would be glad with both of them. One makes me laugh ( satirical undertone), move and enjoy a sounding deep male voice, the other gives me a silencing moment (mystique undertone) – with a clear high uplifting voice. With Iva the live performance/staging let the song a little bit down for me, I guess for the final they will have worked on it – I hope, f. e. let the background singers be… Read more »

Robert
Robert

If Dadi wins he puts Iceland at my number 1.. Lithuania and Germany close behind with Romania & Spain concluding my top 5..

Think About Things is a really good quirky pop song.. He’s a good singer and the staging makes you wanna look besides enjoy the song.. Already heard this song quite often on Dutch Radio.. It’s catchy, loved his Is This Love in 2017 but this should put him in the top 10 of the Grand Final of Eurovision..

ESC Nils
ESC Nils
Reply to  Robert

Haha it will be hard for him to qualify, a top 10 is impossible, come on. This can be high with televotes but the jury? Last place is possible.

Mia
Mia
Reply to  Robert

Wow delusions.. His song is forgettable.

WannaEatMySpaghetti
WannaEatMySpaghetti

My guilty pleasure of the year. I want a dance battle between Lithuania and Iceland :’)
I know Iva has a better voice but I can’t feel her song and I think public will drown it in May.

Xoxoxo
Xoxoxo

Gagnamagnid will win, its clear. I would prefer Dimma, but I will be ok with Dadis band too.

Kenan
Kenan

Guys I love think about things, but can’t we all just agree that this would flop at eurovision? Iva is definitely the best choice.

Reply to  Kenan

Both would do well. I don’t see it flopping at all

DenizNL
DenizNL

Now I know that a lot of people are fan of Dadi Freyrs entry, but I feel like something fishy has been going on.
Lots of random verified accounts have shared this on their page, the Dutch radio and newssites have shared this as well (The newssite didn’t even have some concrete information about this song, it was a very random unneeded article with a link to this song). It’s not that it’s like Euphoria good or anything, yet everyone suddenly started talking about this entry since 2 weeks.
Isn’t this very fishy?

ESC Nils
ESC Nils
Reply to  DenizNL

Definitely, I’ll never get that too! I hope Icelanders are intelligent and will vote with their hearts for Iva, not just because this stupid band got viral in the most strange and dishonest possible way. There is no way this wasn’t planned. If Iva looses to this I don’t know what I’ll say and do! Juries should do their work.

Polegend Godgarina
Reply to  DenizNL

even malou prytz shared this song in her instagram stories yesterday idk what’s going on lol

Salem
Salem
Reply to  DenizNL

No, it’s not fishy 🙂 Their music video for “Think about things” was released two weeks ago, which explains the timing. A lot of Eurovision fans love this song (myself included), and for the non-Eurovision fans this is a quirky and funny performance made to go viral. Not unlike Hatari last year.

Edward
Edward
Reply to  DenizNL

Even Hatari didn’t go this viral and they were 500 times better and more distinctive. This DEFINITELY has something to do with the fact Netflix is sponsoring Iceland at Eurovision

Anna G
Anna G
Reply to  DenizNL

Nothing fishy in my opinion, I think people are desperate for something other than another slow song, hence why Germany’s entry is so popular already. I only started paying attention to Iceland’s entries yesterday with their final coming up tonight. Dadi’s video is hilarious and the song is really upbeat and catchy, if Iva gets through I’m going to pretty much sleep through the whole contest if the current trend keeps up. Other than The Roop it’s a bore fest at the moment.