There has been little news from Russia in regards to their Eurovision 2020 participation for much of the season so far. However, in a big surprise announcement, broadcaster Channel One have revealed that Little Big will wave the Russian flag in Rotterdam this year.

Little Big to represent Russia at Eurovision 2020

Little Big are a pop-punk rave band from Saint Petersburg. The group is currently formed of members Ilya Prusikin, Sonya Tayurskaya, Anton Lissov and Sergey Makarov. They’re known for their lively songs that use rave styles, punk, satire and humour.

The group started off back in 2013 and their first song was “Everyday I’m Drinking“. Little Big have toured across much of Russia and Europe, and collected numerous nominations and awards. For example, they won the award for the most trashy music video twice at the Berlin Music Video Awards with “Big Dick” and “LollyBomb“.

In 2018 they caught viral success with their song “Skibidi”, which has scored more than 360 million views on YouTube. Their songs are there for a good laugh. It is a satire, they are making fun of things. One thing’s for certain, at Eurovision they will be remembered.

Little Big have been on the top of many people’s wish lists for Eurovision. Wiwiblogger Mikhail included them as his choice in our Wednesday wish list series for Eurovision 2020, saying:

Many of you have already heard of this extraordinary band, LITTLE BIG. They and their ridiculously contagious songs have captured a lot of attention. They are pop punk rave band that makes fun of everything. They are widely popular in Russia. The whole country is dancing to “Skibidi” and laughing at their other hits. There are millions of views on their videos. They have already mentioned that they would like to perform at Eurovision, they even submitted a song for the 2019 edition. Choosing them would not be safe by any means, but there is no doubt that LITTLE BIG would make a performance for everyone to talk about.

Earlier this year, Russian newspaper Komsomolskaya Pravda ran a poll on who the public wanted to be their representative at Eurovision 2020. Over thirty thousand people cast their vote in the poll, which included new artists and former Eurovision contestants. Little Big came out on top.

Russians have been so enthusiastic about sending the group to Eurovision that petitions have even appeared on change.org.

Now, their (and our) wish has come true. Little Big will perform in the first half of the first semi-final of Eurovision 2020 on 12th May. Their song will be released at a later date.

Little Big’s previous attempt at Eurovision

Last year, the group revealed that they had tried to fly the Russian flag in Israel.

In an interview with Xenia Sobchak the band’s frontman Ilya Prusikin (aka Ilyich) mentioned that the band was ready for Eurovision and they even had sent their song to Eurovision maestro Philip Kirkorov, who is known for working with Russian Eurovision representatives.

However, 2019 wasn’t Little Big’s year. In the end we witnessed the return of Sergey Lazarev, who took the honourable third place in Tel Aviv.

When asked if they’d try again for The Netherlands, the band initially stated that their upcoming schedule is crazy and there would be no time for Eurovision next year. We’re very thankful to report that the group have changed their mind and found the time to slot Eurovision in.

What do you make of the announcement? Are you excited to see Little Big head to Eurovision for Russia? Let us know your thoughts in the comments below!

Read more Russia Eurovision news here

Ffs
Ffs

Never heard of them before and now I’m totally smitten I can’t wait for the song. Good luck , Russia !

pingo
pingo

OMG YES!! We needed this this year! I’ve been so dissapointed with the songs this year (not that they are bad, just not for me)
omg I’m so excited!!

Emkay
Emkay

This is ridiculous in the best possible way.

Heix
Heix

This band is absolutely phenomenal. It will be new tATu with many world hits. I listen their songs the whole day. Yes, this Eurovision needs, the real, new and different music, what people are really listening in every European country. Music is so diverse and colourful and we want to meet all new ideas and original music. This must be the goal of ESC! Not still the same stupid songs made special for Eurovision with all cliches and generic formulas. Everyone is bored with it. No more Kirkorov, G:Son, Kontopoulos, Azerbaijan divas with Swedish songs every year etc etc etc.… Read more »

NovelFrost
NovelFrost
Reply to  Heix

There are 2 songs by Kontopoulos and 1 by Kirkorov this year)

Luke Rivington
Luke Rivington
Reply to  NovelFrost

2 by Kirkorov – Estonia and Moldova

NovelFrost
NovelFrost

Just be prepared for the video. It will be…what?? Awesome!

Bart
Bart

The only positive thing to say about this, is that it is a different thing than Russia has sent for years. But this act is a disgrace and brings to ESC back to a place it should never go back. A good example when stupid fun is not fun at all – the exact opposite of Iceland this year.

Somebody
Somebody

Skibidi sounds like the modern Macarena.

Lin
Lin

when its the latest day to reveal what song gonna compete?

Nicolas
Nicolas
Reply to  Lin

Next monday.

Marcus
Marcus

A new entry will be announced soon: Corona!

Kath
Kath

From the snipped, the song sounds quite dated…

Sun
Sun
Reply to  Kath

Really dated. It sounds like a joke entry from Moldova. It’s not really out of the box and not to mention that it’s heavily autotuned.

Angelika
Angelika

Everything ridiculous and embarrassing is original now….. Shame…
Johnny Logan! Only that. Eurovision back then had quality!

Angelika
Angelika

So Ridiculous!!!
They will destroy ESC.. Terrible

Sergod Legendzarev
Sergod Legendzarev
Yup
Yup

Russia are really great snitches and what people do with snitches? We all know. They’ve been waiting to make sure what next step to take and they did it. But this game wont let them take a victory. Snitches bitc…..

Igor
Igor

Trying to do the “verka magic”. Actually Russia for 3rd year in a row trying to do everything to win, they want it politically, they want europe to not forget them. I think that eurovision is a song competition that should give a chance for new artists, and i do not like that Russia is always sending their best and most popular singers.

A random russian guy
A random russian guy
Reply to  Igor

😀 hahaha

No One
No One

Never heard of them, I just watched the music video for “I’m okay” and bish, I’m off to catch up on their whole discography byeee

Helene
Helene

I never heard of them so I am intrigued. Will be interesting.

Davidinho
Davidinho

That’s really strange when people compare Lithuania, Iceland and Russia. Yeah, they are all out of box, but in a way Iceland 2019 and Portugal 2019 were out of box. Can you compare them?

Sindlurd
Sindlurd

I kinda dislike that Russia basically every year send a singer that already has had a hit song. By this, Uk should send Ed Sheeran, Sweden – Zara Larsson, Latvia – Lauv, and Albania – Era Istrefi.

How long it would take till Timati will represent Russia in Eurovision?

Polina
Polina
Reply to  Sindlurd

The Russian broadcasters just don’t consider choosing little known singers, they’re all quite famous at least in the country

Helene
Helene
Reply to  Polina

Well i don’t think they are so famous in the Nordic countries. Not really like Ed sheeran.

CRISTIANO MESSI
Reply to  Helene

Yeah they are so hated in Nordic countries

Helene
Helene

I have never heard of them so have can I hate them?

Heix
Heix
Reply to  Sindlurd

But we want to see the biggest stars from every country in ESC. I dont want to see no name singers or young people from talent shows without any hits and experiences. They have small local contests, ESC as huge mega show is not for them. I want to see the best from every country.

O P
O P
Reply to  Sindlurd

You just don’t understand the situation. There is no a national contest in Russia, nor a public list of contenders. Performers from nowhere don’t have chances. Tha last entry of Pervyy Kanal Y.Samoylova was an exception and complete flop.

Zydrunas
Zydrunas

But in Eurovision Contest you can’t sing one year older song. It is rules of Eurovision .
2.2.2 Songs

(i) Release date

The compositions (lyrics and music) must not have been commercially released before 1 September 2019 (the Release Date).
With song Skibidi they are breaking the rules.

Sergod Legendzarev
Sergod Legendzarev
Reply to  Zydrunas

I wanted to correct you, but yeah sure mate, of course they’re breaking the rules!!!

Eurofan
Eurofan
Reply to  Zydrunas

They will not sing Skibidi. Their song for Eurovision is going to be released later this week.

NYCforever
NYCforever

In such a weak year this group will look especially outstanding. Russia can become a clear favorite to win. However, I’m rooting for Lithuania. I think they have more chances to be highly assessed both by jury and televote. Russia can fail with juries.

Angelika
Angelika
Reply to  NYCforever

And with audience… This will be hideous

Bart
Bart
Reply to  NYCforever

If Russia wins with this act, that will be the ultimate disgrace. But I doubt very much that the jury would go for something like this.

Bok
Bok
Reply to  Bart

Why would chicken sounds be ok (Netta) and this a disgrace?

Franky

Odds always change dramatically once the semi final rehearsals happen. So anything goes right now.

Polliu
Polliu

I’m happy ‘cuz Iceland, Lithuania and Russia will cancel each other out and my ultimate favorite will have a chance to snatch that trophy.

Yup
Yup
Reply to  Polliu

You can dream at night while you sleep. Cause this your dream wont happen in reality

Sun
Sun
Reply to  Yup

These funny entries are usually targeting the similar audience. Any song which is serious and impactful might have a shot with both jury and televote.

Lin
Lin
Reply to  Polliu

sorry, but how these three are similar to you? cause singers are males? :DDD

L'oiseau
L'oiseau
Reply to  Polliu

Lithuania and Iceland has absolutely nothing to do with this act.

isabella
isabella

It’s not too surprising considering this has been in the works for a while and the russian people have been campaigning for little big. They probably would have sent them anyway regarding lithuania and iceland’s entry. They also already have huge popularity outside of russia which could win then brownie points that russia want. Expecting big things from them!!

Sebastián
Sebastián

HELL YEAH! Anything promised now in a very weak year.

Keep out working with Philip Kirkorov, just be confident with your music guys

Krista
Krista

Interesting choice…Little Big are quite popular here in Latvia, I have a cousin who often goes to their concerts. I’m excited to see what they come up with. The song will definitely not be forgettable! And as they already have an established fanbase they are in a good position come May.

As a side note, does anybody know when the deadline for song submissions is? This website says the 9th but the Eurovision website says 29th of March…and we still have 7 songs which don’t have a release date and the 9th seems to be cutting it close?

Franky
Reply to  Krista

I think it’s 9 March for them to submit to the EBU, That’s the cut off date. And 29 March is to be made available to public. I think. I could be wrong.

Krista
Krista
Reply to  Franky

Thank you!

IVANOV
IVANOV

Belgium? LOL

Petee
Petee

Stefania hurricane and little big omg this will be good year for eurovision!!!

DavidR
DavidR

They are indeed extraordinary especially for Russia. But not really in a good way. I understand why the odds are on fire, but they’ll be crashed and burned by the juries in May no matter what they sing. :p But they can do very well with the televoting for all the wrong reasons.

Anita Mann
Anita Mann
Reply to  DavidR

Iceland will be crashed and burned by the juries,

Hun

Angelika
Angelika
Reply to  Fiore

Emetic

Mark dowd
Mark dowd

Russia is gonna have to produce something classy and polished to make top three jury vote. Otherwise it may be Sergey 2016 all over again.

The Roop is On Fire
The Roop is On Fire

The fact that Russia recently used Panayotov as their scapegoat is hilarious to me lmao. I will be rooting for Little Big!

Glorious Mustache
Glorious Mustache

Lithuania, Iceland and now this?! Wow this year is becoming a circus. Literally! Only one of those “crazy” bands will shine, and considering Russia has the support, the money, the “hunger” for a win and generally makes it into the top 5, they just might blow these other 2 out of the water. With that being said, Lithuania or Iceland would be my picks over whatever they release. Because these 2 haven’t won Eurovision yet. And considering Lithuania’s & Iceland’s efforts these past years respectively, Iceland is even more deserving of the win. But still… these 3 bands bring some… Read more »

OhhHoney
OhhHoney

You can’t give Iceland the win due to you liking their previous years entries. You vote for the which of the two right now is you preferred.
You don’t win on brownie points.

WannaEatMySpaghetti
WannaEatMySpaghetti

I’m scared byt this :’) I love Lithuania and Iceland’s entries because the music and the voices are enjoyable. Here it’ll be sensational for sure but I hope for Russia it won’t be too agressive. + I want to see a victory from a country that never won and it feels good for Lithuania, Romania or Iceland for the moment (even tho I think Iceland will be a bit destroyed bu juries, not Lithuania).

NHN
NHN

Two words: Kamil Show.

Jose
Jose

Russia, you’re alive! I wasn’t excited for the Russian entry, because I though the channel would select a male ballad written by the Dream team, but this changed my mind. This sounds really cool. They are original and I’m confident that they’ll bring something interesting to the contest.

Davidinho
Davidinho
Reply to  Jose

Channel One (Eurovision 2007, 2009, 2011, 2013, 2015, 2017-18, 2020) has never worked with Kirkorov. That’s Channel Russia (Eurovision 2008, 2010, 2012, 2014, 2016, 2019, 2021) whose some entries were associated with Kirkorov (produced by dream team in ’14, ’16 and ’19)

ESCalator
ESCalator

We had Scatman in the 90s. Not sure we need a copy in 2020.

Marcus
Marcus

Well, after we already know the entries from Lithuania and Iceland, this is not so outstanding anymore. But on the other hand I prefer this much more over the Russian entries from the last few years, which I always found overambitious and overrated.

Yup
Yup

Ohh no, this is just terrible. Really bad terrible idea!

Tajikistan
Tajikistan

Ya ljublju Rossiju xD

Seriously I can’t think of anybody better to wave the Russian flag, I’m expecting them to be in my top 3 based on their regular work

Denis
Denis

Russia just wants to have fun and not being so serious all the time. I think this might be Verka territory here and I missed that in this new serious ESC era.
In fact I can even see all three wacky entries doing well, and Im here for it..

Fatima
Fatima

I don’t blame then for going novelty, it worked well for Russia in 2012, but I don’t think this will do as well. I’m getting the feeling that straightforward singing will be best rewarded in Rotterdam. Certainly by juries.

SMR
SMR

Off-topic: Does anyone know anything about San Marino? They are the only country that hasn’t announced anything apart from the Aly Ryan stuff and has been very quiet and mysterious…

Reply to  SMR

I’m going crazy with anticipation

SMR
SMR
Reply to  Joe

Me too!! :cc

Maybe for that reason, they didn’t win last year and this year they might. That’s the magic of Eurovision.
Odds never have the real truth anyway

Teddie
Teddie
Reply to  Alex

Except for the last two years when they definitely did.

Chris
Chris

Noone can deny their songs are catchy and creative… I just saw lollybomb and it was awesome…

Lexi
Lexi

Russian Gangnam style but worse than the Korean version.

IVANOV
IVANOV
Reply to  Lexi

Daði og Gagnamagnið og Gangnamstyle

Stoffel Belgium
Stoffel Belgium

This is just genious … I love this. Their song Skibidi is already cult and Go Bananas is just “a phenomenon”. They are already the winner to be … and the song is not even known. The fact they will anounce it on the very last minute means Russia is for the win.

Philip
Philip

Today I was commenting about toilet break songs and I was suggesting making a reaction/review video.. well.. you see my point now.. why i think the idea is justified..

ESCFanGA
ESCFanGA

Looks like Russia aren’t winning this year

Philip
Philip
Reply to  ESCFanGA

not even qualifying.. a ringtone would have had better chances of reaching finale..

Mariia