Gjons Tears Switzerland Eurovision 2020

The final lineup of Eurovision 2020 is coming together. And on Wednesday afternoon Switzerland became the latest country to confirm its representative. They’ve revealed that Gjon’s Tears will represent them in Rotterdam with the song “Répondez-moi” (Answer Me).

“Répondez-moi” — Gjon’s Tears

Swiss broadcaster SRF unveiled Gjon’s Tears as their representative in Zurich. His song “Répondez-moi” is described as “mystical and intense”, tracking the artist’s own journey through life. In a statement from SRF, Gjon’s Tears says:

“Everyone asks themselves why exactly are we here, where do we come from and where are we going. These are key questions, particularly for people from a migrant background. My parents are from Albania and Kosovo. I grew up in Switzerland and it’s my home, these are questions that I think about a lot.”

Gjon’s Tears will perform in French, marking the first time in ten years that Switzerland will perform in French at Eurovision. They last did so in 2010 with Michael von der Heide. That performance didn’t yield much success, finishing last in its semi-final, but it has been a successful formula in the past. Switzerland won the first edition of the contest in 1956 with Lys Assia’s French song “Refrain” and again in 1988 when Céline Dion performed “Ne partez pas sans moi”.

“Répondez-moi” was written by Gjon’s Tears, along with Xavier Michel and Alizé Oswald. They are better known as the duo Aliose, who were in the Swiss national final in 2011. Rounding out the songwriting team is Jeroen Swinnen, who also co-wrote Belgium’s 2010 entry “Me and My Guitar”.

About Gjon’s Tears

Gjon’s Tears is the stage name of the Swiss singer Gjon Muharremaj. His stage name comes after he moved his grandfather to tears with his rendition of Elvis Presley’s “Can’t Help Falling in Love” at the age of nine. The singer was on our radar in recent days and has extensive music competition experience. He competed on Albania’s Got Talent as a 12 year old and has since participated in Switzerland’s Got Talent and The Voice France, reaching the semi-finals.

Gjon’s Tears is excited to be competing at the Eurovision Song Contest and said:

“The ESC is the biggest music event and it is huge for an artist to be a part of it. True to this year’s slogan — Open Up — I am totally open to this unique adventure and I’m looking forward to everything that comes with it.”

Read more Switzerland news here

Click20
Click20

This is the winner!

Tania
Tania

I hope to listen this song twice in May?
Good luck Switzerland!??

Tania
Tania
Reply to  Tania

Lol too much question marks instead of emojis

Josh R
Josh R

If staged well, this could be a moment and do very well. A major departure from last year!

mia
mia

like last year, Switzerland sends a superbly produced song. Please Switzerland, keep this trend going – you make the Eurovision a better place. Gjon’s song lives from his voice, and his voice is extraordinary – no one can overlook it. If Switzerland manages to do with the live presentation of this song what it did to Luka’s ( almost cinematic cut) – then this song certainly will end up to the top 5.
There are so many good produced song this year – the standard of the Eurovision is getting higher and higher.

Mr X

10. Ucrania

28. Irlanda
29. Polonia
30. Moldova

lulu
lulu

Please don’t shoot me down for this, I’m not hating on the song because I like it but in my opinion.. I feel like they try too hard to give you the feels, which for me it doesn’t. I find that his voice is strong, the lyrics are okay. But hey, maybe when it’s on stage it will blow everyone off their socks.

Tom Tom
Tom Tom

Not a qualifier sorry.

gilpgilp
gilpgilp

Boring and forgettable. It won’t qualify. What a disappointment after last year’s success.

jim
jim

I find it kinda pretentious

Miguel
Miguel

A French ballad. Everyone is loving this but I find it boring and oldfashioned.

Ffs
Ffs

Great voice , amazing song And he does look like a young Celine Dion

Tom Tom
Tom Tom
Reply to  Ffs

Nope.

Stephanie
Stephanie

I don’t know about this one. I don’t hate it, it’s just… I don’t know if I like it… Maybe I should listen to it again.

Matt
Matt

I appreciate I’m very much in the minority but I didn’t feel very moved by this, I don’t think it has a very strong hook either, but clearly it could do well, maybe it’s because I’m not taking away what others are from the performance but I don’t think he should have Salvador Sobral-esque staging, I don’t think the song is as intimate. I’m not sure what would be effective here, it is however a very interesting song.

GaryH
GaryH

This should have been the French entry instead of that John Lundvik mess!
I quite like it and I can see the jury rewarding it, BUT if he does not nail it live, in no way this is going to the final. The performance has to be memorable and impressive. I’m worried about the vocals – can he really pull it off? Qualification depends on it.

Alex Kirichenko
Alex Kirichenko
Reply to  GaryH

>can he really pull it off?
yes – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bD39hvYkOr0

LTDC
LTDC

great song, goosebumps all over, so far this could be the one for me.

Rainer1
Rainer1

i am thrilled how well the song is received. beautiful, moving, great sung. Switzerland will be at the forefront of the jury and hopefully also among the audience. i think switzerland has chances to win.

Valentino
Valentino
Reply to  Rainer1

It all will depend on his vocals during his live performance. All the song rests on his singing abilities.

Alex Kirichenko
Alex Kirichenko
Reply to  Valentino
Crystal

I think Switzerland has at least another qualifier here. I just watched the video again, this time on his YouTube channel, so I could see the English translation of the lyrics. I actually like it better than the Swiss entry from last year, and compared to France’s entry is nowhere near as cheesy. I haven’t yet really listened to all the songs, but this one and Lithuania’s both have me tapping the replay button. Lithuania’s is fun, funky, and catchy, while Switzerland’s is heart wrenching and kinda hits you in the core (even if you’re like me and don’t speak… Read more »

Joe Lestingi
Joe Lestingi

The only thing I like about this song is that it’s in French. That’s it. Something France failed to do. But I don’t see it in the Grand Final. Maybe next year.

Female Lotus
Female Lotus

I have a very good feeling about this.. this song is superb, artful, poetic, with a melodious voice, it really hypnotized me since the first hear of this song.. I could say, this is a masterpiece.. well done Switzerland!

I_Stan(d)
I_Stan(d)

I’m not kidding, I played and replayed this at least 7 times in a row. I love his voice though the video is a bit artsy for my tastes. If you check out the video in his YouTube channel, it has the translated lyrics … and Jesus they’re so poetic.

On a funny note, the music video is kinda like the French-Swiss more monochromatic Beautiful Lies

ESCFanGA
ESCFanGA

I quite like the song and it reminds me a bit of Arcade. I certainly see juries warming up to this. It’s also definitely the best French song this year (ahead of France’s awful mess)

Nice to Mitt
Nice to Mitt

First listen and loved it!

I’ve been listening to this again and again and it creats such special mood. I don’t even know how to describe it.
This can win Televoting on May. Damn

Rose
Rose

If it gets the same staging Salvador Sobral had, and good vocals, it will go very far. Well done Switzerland!

Somebody
Somebody

This is absolutely in my Top 5.

Gassenhauer
Gassenhauer

Mmm. London Grammer vibes, particularly at the beginning, which is definitely a good thing in my book. I think the Dutch entry just pipped it to my favourite though.

Leenchen
Leenchen

Wow! I didn’t expect this. This is truly a beautiful song and so far this years best ballad for me!

It took me three listens just to get a drip on what it was that I was listening to. I don’t know how well that bodes for televotes…
It’s got something though. It’s interesting and there’s some feeling there. How many of the other “ballads” can say they 100% evoke some sort of emotion? I think this is going to do better than expected.
Am I the only one seeing how similar this is to Barbara’s song from the Czech Rep this year? Just me? Ok.

Joey
Joey

This is a solid entry from Switzerland. It’s not my favourite of the songs so far, but I like it. I appreciate the fact that they’re using one of their national languages and they could’ve easily sent a similar kind of song to what they had last year, so I applaud them for sending something that’s the polar opposite of their last entry. I’m interested to see how they stage this in Rotterdam.p

The Roop is On Fire
The Roop is On Fire

He looks like Isaura

LOL

Nice to Mitt
Nice to Mitt

I thought the same

Holt
Holt

uff….straight to my No. 1….. 12 points from Hamburg. Great Job, liebe Schweiz!

NYC forever
NYC forever

I am speechless. Such a beautiful song. It is wonderful. We all say this year there are too many ballads. But I don’t see any problem with it while they are good. But the problem is that 99% of the ballads this year a totally awful. When such a meaningful, strong song is competing I don’t care which genre it belongs. It’s just a matter of quality. It has very high possibility of winning. I personally don’t understand why the song went down among bookies.

michael
michael
Reply to  NYC forever

it’s so powerful!!!!

Reply to  NYC forever

Much respect to your username. NYC represent!

brad
brad

This is really nice. Very haunting. I just wish it had a bit more oomph coming into the second verse and more of a finale going up instead of down. ..but yes a noble entry.

Richard
Richard

This is a lovely surprise, a beautiful, heartfelt song, and in French too that works so well in a gentle song like this. If he sounds this good live it could do well.

Nathan
Nathan
Reply to  Richard

I think Ireland

Maxim
Maxim

This song is amazing. I have no words.

Marseille
Marseille

Wow… those lyrics… if he can deliver the vocal and the emotion live, then this is a contender..
The French HoD should hear this and cry, then resign.

Timi
Timi
Reply to  Marseille

I saw videos, he’s STUNNING live. I highly recommend you to search for some of his live performances on YouTube.

Great song!!! I agree, this might become a contender…

Reply to  Jo.

You can’t call this a bad ESC-year anymore…

Héctor
Héctor

So my comment is waiting for moderation it seems. I didn’t say anything wrong though. I’ll just say: winner alert.

Héctor
Héctor

Wow! Shivers going down my spine. Winner alert. Seriously guys. I said previously I didn’t have that feeling yet. Well, I have it now. Modern, powerful, emotional, … I don’t get the lyrics straight forward because my French is basic but I don’t need to do it to feel what he is singing. I’m sure it will move a lot of viewers, specially those inmigrant ones. His voice is so especial and intense. You just can’t reject it because “it’s a ballad”. This is quality guys, doesn’t matter the style or the tempo. As Duncan Lawrence I’m sure he will… Read more »

Florence Petit
Florence Petit

My favorite so far…from France

Florence Petit
Florence Petit

My favorite so far, from France

Goodmorning
Goodmorning

Oh wow. Getting strong winner vibes from this one.

Daniel_2017
Daniel_2017

Switzerland, what are you doing to me?!?!? I’m a blubbering mess…

BleuKnaveXD236
BleuKnaveXD236

It’s a very pretty sounding song, not really my cup of tea but I appreciate it. Good luck to him and Switzerland at Rotterdam.
*but like the Netherlands last year this is probably gonna be in my top 10 cause it’s a quality entry despite not being my type of song I’d normally listen to

Timi
Timi

Winner Alert, not kidding. This is art.

Fun or ban?
Fun or ban?

My sleeping tablet tonight. But if he is a good live performer, this song could do something magic.

Pabs
Pabs

1st uk
2nd Iceland
3rd Estonia
4th France
5th Lithuania
6th Israel
7th Greece
8th Poland
9th Romania
10th Italy

Karworld
Karworld

Amazing ballad. So far, directly to my top five. The question is if the live performance will be able to transmit all that emotional power.

Boozyfloozy86
Boozyfloozy86

Shaping up to be one snooze balladfest of a year

Goodmorning
Goodmorning
Reply to  Boozyfloozy86

This comment is no longer relevant. The ballad to bop ratio is pretty even now.

BadWoolfGirl
BadWoolfGirl

I got to say, I was very surprised that Switzerland is sending a French language song. It’s a long time since Switzerland sent anything in one of their national languages. It’s a bit of a risk, the France is voting in the second semifinal so it could gather some points. Will have to see if this pays off or another flop