The last day of national final season saw ten acts compete in Denmark’s Dansk Melodi Grand Prix 2020. Only one could rise above the rest and take home the trophy. That was Ben & Tan, who will go on to represent Denmark at Eurovision 2020 with the song “Yes”.

Despite their being no audience for them to perform in front of, the ten competitors still put on a great show for the viewing audience at home.

In the end, Ben & Tan secured the most votes from the public during the superfinal and were crowned the winner.

Ben & Tan – “Yes”

Ben & Tan qualified to Dansk Melodi Grand Prix 2020 through the P4 wildcard selection. The duo emerged as the winners of the Eastern Denmark group.

“Yes” has a number of notable songwriters behind it. The team includes prolific Swedish composer and former Melodifestivalen act, Jimmy Jansson. In addition, Linnea Deb, who co-wrote Sweden’s Eurovision 2015 winning song “Heroes”, is also behind the track. Emil Lei completes this team.

Ben & Tan win Dansk Melodi Grand Prix 2020

Dansk Melodi Grand Prix 2020 was made up of two rounds. Firstly, all ten acts performed their songs.

After the first round of voting, three acts were chosen to perform again in the superfinal. They were:

• Sander Sanchez – “Screens”
  • Ben & Tan – “Yes”
  • Emil – “Ville ønske jeg havde kendt dig”

It was then up to the public to decide who their favourite of the three superfinalists was. They chose Ben & Tan, who earned 61% of the vote.

Sander Sanchez finished in second place with 20% of the vote in the superfinal. Emil took home the bronze medal and received 19% of the vote.

Ben & Tan will perform “Yes” in the second half of the second semi-final on Thursday 14th May.

Dansk Melodi Grand Prix 2020: Running Order

1. Isam B – “Bølger”
  2. Ben & Tan – “Yes”
  3. Maja & De Sarte Sjæle – “Den eneste goth i Vejle”
  4. Benjamin Kissi – “Faith”
  5. Emil – “Ville ønske jeg havde kendt dig”
  6. Sys Bjerre – “Honestly”
  7. Jamie Talbot – “Bye Bye Heaven”
  8. Sander Sanchez – “Screens”
  9. Kenny Duerlund – “Forget It All”
  10. Jasmin Rose feat. RoxorLoops – “Human”

What do you make of the results? Do you think Denmark have a strong contender for Eurovision 2020? Let us know your thoughts in the comments below!

Read more Denmark Eurovision news here

Jimmy Smit
Jimmy Smit

I’m glad Ben and Tan won. I like the song, it’s very radio-friendly and feels current, but I think their stage performance could be much bolder. It will be nice to see them have more fun with it and engage a crowd.

Moonvision ESC
Moonvision ESC

Voting was shut down during last performance causing favourite not to qualify to the super final.

MRK
MRK
Reply to  Moonvision ESC

Some claim.. DR ofcause deny that and say everything went as planned.. Nothing wrong with the voting.. However they wont release a full result of the first round.. Even though the result from the superfinal was up on their site 30. Min to an hour after the show.. A bit suspicious to me.. And if all “human lovers” voted for it (i did and know a few who did aswell) and its true that it came 8.th.. That could only be possible if either there were some sort of trouble with the voting or the jury slaughtered it completely.. To… Read more »

aroncido
aroncido

Apparently ‘Human’ came 8th in the first round, according to Wikipedia at least. Which is a great reminder of national finals being super unpredictable.

Moonvision ESC
Moonvision ESC
Reply to  aroncido

The result of the super final is the only actual result.

Ph2013
Ph2013

I don’t really understand the hate against Yes. I actually like the song, however they should work on their vocals. Yes (pun not intended), a male/female duo is good, but make sure the male voice also gets to stand out. Either way, stunning entry. If not Yes, then Human. I would’ve preferred both anyway.

Elsa
Elsa

I say no, no please 🙂

Aisling
Aisling

I like it… Would definitely qualify if they kiss 😉

Jimmy Smit
Jimmy Smit
Reply to  Aisling

If it was in SF1 I think it would struggle to qualify, based on their NF performance, but because it’s in SF2 I think it will qualify without problem.

I like the song but I think their stage performance could be much bolder. Have more fun with it!

percy
percy
Reply to  Aisling

They’re not dating. I mean, there is a potential 22 proposals..

Tom Ripley
Tom Ripley

Instead of YES, I will say NO!
NQ!

EitanIL
EitanIL

Such a sad feeling to see the empty arena while in the neighbour country it was another world and people were touching eachother..
The song is decent

JONAS
JONAS

“Yes” is dull and unimaginative. Moreover it clearly wants to recapture the “Only-Tear-Drops-mood” (a song I personally never thought much of, but that’s not the point – it only shows how much opinions differ.) Conclusion: Tedious and annoying! Sorry, Denmark!

Ben ESC
Ben ESC
Reply to  JONAS

There is no only teardrops vibe in this song, the ONLY similarity is that the stage was the same colour, but that has nothing to do with the song

Karworld
Karworld

Say Yeah Yeah Yeah!
Missing energetic songs like that one this year

La la love
La la love

Meh

xohxoh
xohxoh

Denmark sending another bland song, wow, the sky is blue.

Benji
Benji

Well, I say: No! A childish, cheesy song from Denmark again.

Fatima
Fatima
Reply to  Benji

We’d be lost without a bit of Ost

Kent
Kent

While I do think Denmark made the right decision sending Yes instead of Human, I do think that their vocal mixing needs improvement because I could not hear Benjamin during the choruses. In addition, the two could use more interaction between with each other because the performance seemed cold (could be due to the lack of a live audience). Humans had a unique staging but the beat boxing was out of nowhere & kinda killed it for me. Shame it didn’t make it to the Super Final though. Shout out to Sander Sanchez who redeemed himself in the Super Final… Read more »

Pierre
Pierre
Reply to  Kent

I don’t if it was the empty arena but the sound and vocals were of in some ways.

keith mawson
keith mawson
Reply to  Kent

Human was way better and had better staging. WTF Denmark.

NickC
NickC

All I can say is this will cruise to the final. But not sure if it is impactful enough to land a top 10 placing in the final. It still may, if they improve the staging. I loved Honestly though.

brad
brad

Very amateur performance, but in the end ..a good strong song, which is the main thing in eurovision. Well done Denmark., and a big vote winner.

Miguel
Miguel

Not my kind of music at all! But I do understand why people like it. It’s a nice song. It will certainly qualify for the final.
I like her voice.

Polegend Godgarina

isn’t denmark tired of sending the same song every year? i can’t think of a more unidirectional country at esc, their songs are always more or less the same! since 1999, most of their entries – all except for 2004, 2007, 2014 and 2018 – have been guitar-led pop songs with more or less the same vibe!!!

jatojo
jatojo

Was 2019 with a lot of guitar? I don’t think so. They mainly send pop songs, occasionally a ballad and a rock song. I don’t think that’s odd. This year it’s a folk rock song which we haven’t seen for at least five years.

Dawid
Dawid
Reply to  jatojo

2019 was a mistake

If it ain’t broke…
Look at their results, LOL

Fatima
Fatima
Reply to  Purple Mask

Exactly, they won twice in that period and also 2nd-4th-5th. No-one should be “tired” of that level of success.

Pierre
Pierre

It goes for all the nordics. Same procedure as last year.

Lord Suzy
Lord Suzy

At least Denmark doesn’t send the same singers every year like mother goose russia

Matt
Matt

As others have said, a very on-brand choice for Denmark, it’s really catchy and I think it’s gonna do really well actually, she has a lovely voice.

Denis
Denis

Well at least Jimmy Jansson gets to go to ESC:)
It’s cute and sweet and rather nice. And quite good, their best entry in a long long time! Could see it reaching top 10.

James
James
Reply to  Denis

ESC Insight did a whole article about him. Seems like this is the big validation he needed to finally be taken seriously by the industry.

Stian F
Stian F

Potential contender for sure. Its Denmark and they always do well with songs like this ?

Dzordz
Dzordz

This feels like something from that TV show Glee. Cute song, but nothing special.

Jose
Jose

Human was robbed

keith mawson
keith mawson
Reply to  Jose

Absolutely really sick of decent songs getting sidelined for sub par rubbish

Chromium
Chromium

So cute! This was my fave from the beginning, so I’m happy this won. 🙂

It was funny how the artists were saying thanks to the non-existent audience. This was an interesting DMGP :))

KevininDC
KevininDC
Reply to  Chromium

… especially when one of them said “Make some noise!” ummm ok haha

Dodo
Dodo

What happened to this Nordics this weekend? Not entirely convinced of this one either…. seems they have given up a bit on the ESC this year? (Only Norway stands out for me at the moment)

Is it just me or they look “forced” on stage as if they can’t stand next to each other….

BadWoolfGirl
BadWoolfGirl
Reply to  Dodo

Yeah, it does feel like they’re slacking off this year. I got no issues with the mamas represent in Sweden, but you got admit, They’re definitely not going to guarantee sweden’s seventh win for sure

keith mawson
keith mawson
Reply to  Dodo

she is 22 and he is 17 . almost jail bait lol

Chromium
Chromium
Reply to  keith mawson

He’s just 17?! 😮 Well that explains why the staging is not pushing much of a romantic angle between them two. :))

Jose
Jose
Reply to  keith mawson

That’s creepy and disgusting the girl is 22 and ben is 17

BleuKnaveXD236
BleuKnaveXD236

I dunno thier performance wasn’t awesome, they sounded great but they both didn’t interact well with each other. The guy looked constipated while singing…. but I like the song well enough so good luck to them at Rotterdam.

Skiwalko
Skiwalko

Dare I say, “Yes” is a very typical choice for Denmark – sweet, gleeful and uplifting entry with a singalong quality. There’s room for improvement in terms of the staging. A lot of the problems came down to the fact that there was no audience this year, with the public’s support in Rotterdam this song will definitely feel a lot more energetic and lively. Still, I hope Europe will say “yes” to Denmark in May, cause they certainly deserve it.

Denmark loves cute things and this cute thing got my affection. I think they’re adorable. His vocals were perfect, she needs a little more confidence yet. The whole thing would grow with an audience screaming “Say yes, say yes, say yes!”. I feel the staging almost hurt their chances though. It was a nice idea to have him in the background and then her, but the transitions were awkward and they actually were able to show more chemistry in the celebrating performance, when they were finally allowed to react to each other.

Mark
Mark

This Saturday couldn’t be worse. I’m praying for a good song from Russia, Azerbaijan, Malta or North Macedonia. If they don’t don’t do it.. I don’t know..

Burp
Burp
Reply to  Mark

Russia will most likely have a song that’s televote friendly but the jury will pan

Azerbaijan and North Macedonia we don’t know

Malta will almost certainly be a gospelesque song, and with it coming from a JESC winner, it’ll be pretty good most likely

Nicolas
Nicolas

They added fake applause at the end ?

Reply to  Nicolas

Yes. It happened all the way through the show, because the audience were banned from attending the event due to… cough… sorry… cough… I just can’t spit it out

James
James
Reply to  Purple Mask

*Cues “The Rhyhtm of the Night” on standby*

BadWoolfGirl
BadWoolfGirl
Reply to  Nicolas

There was no audience in the studio As a coronavirus preventative measure.

KevininDC
KevininDC
Reply to  Nicolas

Yeah, the fake applause was totally unnecessary and dumb.

EuroSluuuuuutty
EuroSluuuuuutty

Isam B cuteass should’ve won. His performance was lovely 😀

Mr X
Mr X

Dinamarca 6/10

Karworld
Karworld

Bad bad bad! I guess some will like it, but I personally don’t. Too American, average song, and then the pyro…

keith mawson
keith mawson
Reply to  Karworld

Find the lyrics very jarring

Zander
Zander

At least Denmark never disappoint, this the best choice out of their selection.

Fionn
Fionn

Omg it’s so annoying I hate it I’m very sorry

Mia
Mia

Bland filler song, zero chemistry.

R
R
Reply to  Mia

Last time they had a duo with no chemistry, they got a top 5

jatojo
jatojo
Reply to  Mia

It’s seems every time there is a duo, some people expect the singers to have a special relation, be a married couple or something like that. Why not just accept that it’s two artists trying to make their voices go well together?

Zoli
Zoli

The only right choice this night!

JONAS
JONAS

Unbearable! Lasted 51 seconds.

Daniel
Daniel

Denmark was already in the garbage even before tonight. And now after the worst NF I can recall, a dull song was chosen.
I don’t know who picks the Danish candidates, bit they need to be fired ASAP. The quality of the line-up in recent years has been in decline, and this was a low in DMGP’s history. Denmark will never win this with sh*tty songs like these.

Timi
Timi

Lovely, it’s a beautiful song.

Fatima
Fatima

The right song won, and the best staging I’ve seen so far this year. But best of all was the head on the shoulder moment. That was televote gold. I felt sorry for the performers that there was no audience. Understandable, but very odd considering we were all watching Melfest, UMK, and now Festival da Canção) with packed crowds.

Pierre
Pierre
Reply to  Fatima

The sound in an empty arena doesn’t help. Must have been a very awkward moment.

Remo
Remo
Reply to  Fatima

Agree!

Marseille
Marseille

This was the best DMGP in years, too bad it looked so weird without the public. I really hope it doesn’t get to the point in May where Eurovision would have to be held without the audience, because it honestly looks creepy and awful.
The top 3 were great songs, and Yes is a deserving winner. Too bad for Human, but the staging was unflattering.

John
John

Are they allowed to look at each other while on stage? Zero chemistry between the only duet in the competition. Please fix. Somewhere in between Alfred & Amaia, and Koit & Laura will work for them. And is it just me but does “Say YES” from the chorus sound like it’s lifted from another song that I can’t think of.

Fatima
Fatima
Reply to  John

It reminds me in places of Ho Hey by The Lumineers, but I don’t think that’s what you mean

Rufus Buckmeier
Rufus Buckmeier
Reply to  Fatima

I thought the same thing!

Pierre
Pierre
Reply to  John

Koit & laura had no chemistry at all.

Sesil
Sesil
Reply to  John

It’s very similar to ‘Walk me home’ by P!nk

jatojo
jatojo
Reply to  John

Yeah, a mixture of songs from Lumineers and Pink. But the fact that it’s a duet makes it stand out from those.

keith mawson
keith mawson
Reply to  John

Yes. It sounds odd.

Anisa
Anisa

It’s a cute song. Very Smith & Thell.

aroncido
aroncido

The good news is that they can sing it well live. That’s the important part, as their vocals won’t really change until Eurovision.
The bad part is that they had pretty bad stage presence, didn’t exactly ooze happiness or energy (which is what we want to feel seeing this song), and especially Tan (is that her name?) looked quite nervous on stage. Plus, the current staging is just dreadful.
But these are all things they can work on and improve, and I’m sure it will look a lot better at Eurovision.

Anisa
Anisa
Reply to  aroncido

I actually found her singing very underwhelming compared to the studio version.

Héctor
Héctor
Reply to  Anisa

I did it too. He was excellent though.

jatojo
jatojo
Reply to  Anisa

I did too, but for some reason it sounds better in the version that is now on YouTube (or is it just me?)

aroncido
aroncido
Reply to  jatojo

The superfinal performance was considerably better. I don’t know which one they uploaded though.

Reply to  jatojo

Same. It sounded better on youtube . I was a bit underwhelmed like a lot of us and then watching on youtube it felt better yes

Dalth
Dalth

This is a good song, just need to sort the stageing out because it looked a bit messy at times. Only other issue is Tans vocal, she sounded ok but the guy has a much better voice.

Mr Vanilla Bean
Mr Vanilla Bean

This and the Danish one were the two okay ones and they both went to the Superfinal and of course, this one was always gonna be their only shot this year so at least Denmark got it right, tonight. Also, while I hope this never has to be repeated, I found it kind of a fun experience to have this show put up without an audience. Kudos to Denmark for following through with it anyway. I approve.

Kung Frederick 90
Kung Frederick 90

Thank you Denmark for saving this night. First Finland than Sweden. This is a really nice and cute song .

Richard
Richard

This is a very sweet song, typically Danish somehow, very catchy and immediate. not sure about the chemistry between the singers but perhaps that will grow over time. Good choice.

Citizen of Memel
Citizen of Memel

It’s a decent choice, probably even the best from the MGP. I get “Sing!” vibes (Jurgis DID & Erica Jennings). Oh And Ben… (I suppose that’s the name of the guy since we have a similar version in Lithuanian – Benas) is suuuper cute.