The wait is over in Portugal. The city of Elvas welcomed the grand final of Festival da Canção 2020. Eurovision 2018 host Filomena Cautela and Vasco Palmeirim conducted the show that culminated with Elisa winning the ticket to Eurovision 2020 with her song “Medo de sentir”.

After an intense voting sequence that saw Filipe Sambado top the jury vote with “Gerbera amarela do Sul” and Bárbara Tinoco as the televote favourite with “Passe-Partout”, Elisa came out on top with 20 points — 10 from the jury and 10 from the televote.

Elisa was one of the favourites among wiwibloggs readers. She placed second in our grand final poll, with 19.23% of the vote.

Festival da Canção 2020 – The Voting

Since 2017, the jury format remains the same for the Grand Final. Seven panels of juries represent the five regions of mainland Portugal plus the island of Azores and the island of Madeira.

The song with most points is awarded the famous 12 points. The song in last place with the jury is awarded three points. The same format is used in the televote — three points for the least favourite song and 12 to the favourite.

Festival da Canção 2020 – Overall results

1. Elisa – “Medo de sentir” (20 points) 🏆
  2. Bárbara Tinoco – “Passe-Partout” (18 points)
  3. Filipe Sambado – “Gerbera amarela do Sul” (16 points)
  4. Kady – “Diz só” (15 points)
  5. Jimmy P – “Abensonhado” (13 points)
  6. Tomás Luzia – “Mais real que o amor” (11 points)
  7. Throes + The Shine – “Movimento” (11 points)
  8. Elisa Rodrigues – “Não voltes mais” (7 points)

Festival da Cancao 2020 – jury results

1. Filipe Sambado – “Gerbera amarela do Sul” (12 points)
  2. Elisa – “Medo de sentir” (10 points)
  3. Kady – “Diz só” (8 points)
  4. Jimmy P – “Abensonhado” (7 points)
  5. Bárbara Tinoco – “Passe-Partout” (6 points)
  6. Throes + The Shine – “Movimento” (6 points)
  7. Elisa Rodrigues – “Não voltes mais” (5 points)
  8. Tomás Luzia – “Mais real que o amor” (4 points)

Festival da Cancao 2020 – televote results

1. Bárbara Tinoco – “Passe-Partout” (12 points)
  2. Elisa – “Medo de sentir” (10 points)
  3. Tomás Luzia – “Mais real que o amor” (8 points)
  4. Kady – “Diz só” (7 points)
  5. Jimmy P – “Abensonhado” (6 points)
  6. Throes + The Shine – “Movimento” (5 points)
  7. Filipe Sambado – “Gerbera amarela do Sul” (4 points)
  8. Elisa Rodrigues – “Não voltes mais” (3 points)

Festival da Canção 2020: Who is Elisa?

Elisa was born in the island of Madeira and from a young age was influenced by names such as The Beatles, Queen, The Eagle and Eurovision legends ABBA. The 60s, 70s and 80s music scene played a huge role in her developing interest for music.

From an early age she started competing in local music competitions and at seventeen she began a Jazz course in Conservatório da Madeira. Now she studies music in Lisbon. Recently signed with Warner, Elisa is giving her first steps in the industry. “Medo de Sentir” is her presentation letter, composed by Marta Carvalho.

What do you think of tonight’s results? Are you happy with the outcome? How do you think Portugal will fair at Eurovision 2020? Tell us in the comment section below.

Read more Portugal news here

Moonstar
Moonstar

There are many , too many, angry, obsessive, mentally ill ESC fans out there!…

Mr X
Mr X

Portugal 6/10

Jake
Jake

I think the Portuguese jury punished Passe-Partout for being ‘too French’, the same way they celebrated Gerbera Ameral do Sul for being “very Portuguese”–it resembles their revolution songs from 70s…I wish Passe-Partout standing had not been so messy–it really needed some editing and more color–probably could’ve come across better if she was surrounded by musicians like a clarinetist and so forth

Moonstar
Moonstar
Reply to  Jake

Barbara’s song and vocals are just ok. Nothing extraordinary. Her stage charisma is nearly non existent- sorry, Bárbara! These are the reasons why I thought she did not impress the juries much. I can’t blame them.

Maldric
Maldric
Reply to  Jake

Pass-Partout had a huge problem…weak chorus :/
It was one of my favourites but the live act was not what I was expecting..That chorus didn´t convince me..However its a nice song .
About Gerebera amarela sul you´re right..Sound like their revolution songs from the 70´s and for that reason i would never choose that song.
Medo de sentir is a nice song but i think they need to fix some stuff…instrumental, powerfull vocal and backvocal in the last chorus and for sure a great cam work wth very nice angles

R
R

Preach, my friend!

brunowskii
brunowskii

Barbara was obviously robbed by the jury….

Henrikh Mugosa
Henrikh Mugosa

It’s like firing at an ambulance…

Henrikh Mugosa
Henrikh Mugosa

The last 2 editions of FdC were the best 2 editions I have witnessed. But paradoxically, with the exception of Telemóveis, I never had the feeling the songs stood a chance @ Eurovision. Portugal does its own thing and apparently they’re very happy about it. I wish RTP would take another approach & would choose songs that can compete & fight for the TOP10. But that’s not gonna happen. …oh well, at least they differentiate themselves from the other countries. As for yesterday’s result. I think the best song won, even though Elisa’s performance wasn’t as good as in the… Read more »

Pedro Paulo
Pedro Paulo
Reply to  Henrikh Mugosa

Nope, Portugal is not happy at all with it…actually there’s a lot criticism in social network, newspapers and everywhere regarding the lack of quality of the songs. Today was a hard day for RTP, if they want to listen!

TAK
TAK
Reply to  Pedro Paulo

Interesting! I love Portugal but couldn’t help feeling these were a very mediocre bunch of songs.

Bart
Bart

Jury totally ignored the public winner passe partout

Leo
Leo

*Barbara Dexter winner alert*

Maldric
Maldric
Reply to  Leo

usually Portugal´s representantive use a different costume for eurovision…don´t worry honey

Army of Me
Army of Me
Reply to  Leo

Little Big have booked that award 🙂

CardiB
CardiB
Reply to  Leo

oh honey that spot is probably going to be challenged by Montaigne and her Clown look or Arilena with her dominatrix choice. Count on that lol.

CagardiB
CagardiB

While cooking I was faced with the sorrow of all juries giving 12to Gerbera Amarelha do sul, and I can’t explain myself WHY ON EARTH WAS THE MARGIN SO EXAGERATED. Thankfully in the end they did asigned a measly 12 points, while punishing Passe Partout with 6, did they even listened, I mean… she did a stellar performance. I’m happy for Medo de Sentir since it was my fav of the night and both the jury and the people gave top points but, why is there such a diaparity within the points? I’m guessing jury didn’t wanted passe partout to… Read more »

Milan S
Milan S
Reply to  CagardiB

Well, jury saved Portugal in 2017, without them Salvador Sobral would have stuck in his semi. So, I guess we’re still fortunate Portugal uses a jury. As for Passe-partout, it may have been a slightly better choice, but FdC was very strong this year, almost whatever they send would have been OK with me. Thanks, Portugal!

CardiB
CardiB
Reply to  Milan S

I’m not contesting the fact that jury sometimes do their job correctly, but TBH this year the scores were pretty much inverted for both Gerbera Amarehla do Sul and Passe Partout. I cannot stress the fact that this makes people unhappy that a jury would fail to see what they obviously see when picking a song like PP, and I can see why they gave top points to GADS. But you really are telling me that PP wasn’t stellar? NO, that isn’t possible. That’s what I contest, FdC was in fact really strong this year and I’m totally supporting Eliza… Read more »

Moonstar
Moonstar
Reply to  CagardiB

I don’t think Bárbara did amazing. She was average. And I understand why the juris would have thought the same.

Escf
Escf

Off topic, it’s so lame that Russia and Azerbaijan publish songs at the latest moment, like those egomaniac types who arrive last to the party trying to grab attention.

Army of Me
Army of Me
Reply to  Escf

Like the Netherlands last year? 🙂 Russia is releasing the song so late because they are working on the video clip.

A random russian guy
A random russian guy
Reply to  Escf

Netherlands 2019?

Lisianthus
Lisianthus

Like Russia last year. Scream was released after Arcade.

Loin dici
Loin dici
Reply to  Escf

Like Armenia, Malta, and Israel in 2019, right?

Yeah let’s put them in a ditch

KINGESC
KINGESC

NQ from the start

Nacht98
Nacht98

This is actually very weak…not for me, sorry.

Tom Ripley
Tom Ripley

This is nice. I like it. And loooove the language.

Bob
Bob

I just heard the song (didn’t watch the festival last night, so I have no idea if she was the best option) – I have to say, I really like it. I’m not sure it will qualify as it stands though, it needs a revamp, more power by the last minute. It’s not building as much as I want it to, but it’s a beautiful song and I hope it does well. Maybe I will even vote for Portugal in May, this is the kind of music I like – and in portuguese as well, love it!

Nonono
Nonono

Nq

Mark dowd
Mark dowd

Portuguese shot themselves in the foot by eliminating “Rebellion”… This will struggle to attract support.

Maldric
Maldric
Reply to  Mark dowd

Rebellion was such a weak live act at the semi final…

Reply to  Mark dowd

Rebellion was 3rd with televote and it tie in that 4th place with Movimento. Juries prevail

Henrikh Mugosa
Henrikh Mugosa
Reply to  Mark dowd

It’s just my opinion… From Blasted’s performance, I got the feeling they were doing it more for the fun of it than in a mindset of doing the best they can in order to compete and be selected.

Henrikh Mugosa
Henrikh Mugosa
Reply to  Mark dowd

If Rebellion had been chosen to represent PT, people would still be complaining that the song was no good & that its structure was all wrong & that it doesn’t have a climax or whatever. And finally, often enough Eurovision likes to say: let’s celebrate diversity. But the fact is: rock has only done well on very few occasions. Die-hard fans only care for bops & screaming-diva ballads.

Blake
Blake

I don’t particularly like this song but i hate people saying Portugal is always boring, just say you hate Portugal period. Last year they sent THE MOST DARING SONG (and performance) after iceland and europe pretty much boycotted them. I’m sure if sweden sent a ballad like this everyone would be calling it a “masterpiece”. No matter what they send, Portugal and the balkans are always gonna be underrated unfortunately

Citizen of Memel
Citizen of Memel
Reply to  Blake

Not exactly true since Portugal did prove it can gain support from Europe if they send a great song. I’m not saying this year entry of Portugal is completely bad, but it doesn’t have that factor which would drive people to vote for this instead of Poland or any other mediocre quality ballad (there are mediocre ballads like Slovenia and masterpiece ballads like Romania). Personally, I’ll never even consider voting for a flat ballad in a foreign language. For a ballad in native languages to get votes from me it has to be empowering or unique in performance. There’s none… Read more »

Alexander
Alexander

Ooops they did it again!
Its Portugal sending quality to Eurovision 🙂 However im affraid this may not be enough to reach the final..
Good luck Portugal

Escf
Escf
Reply to  Alexander

Stop calling every ballad quality challenge

Milan S
Milan S
Reply to  Alexander

Indeed high quality! Portugal has upped their game after 2017 which is very nice to see!

JamesE
JamesE

is this a new hight for Portugal?…they always choose the most boring song in the whole contest. This one manages to be both generic and bland at the same time. Congratulations to the portuguese!

Bart
Bart
Reply to  JamesE

Yes always the most boring that in 2017 git them to win.

Stig
Stig

or other Portuguese people. Any thoughts on the huge difference between juries and televote? I was watching the show last night. First I was very surprised that Filipe Sambado won nearly all the 12 p from the juries. Then I thought it must something very powerful in the message of his song that motivates all this, to me, unexpected enthusiasm. I don’t understand much Portuguese, you see. Then I was surprised again to see that the public didn’t agree and put him second to last… What are your thoughts about this? Happy that Medo de Sentir won, btw!

Miguel
Miguel
Reply to  Stig

I will be guessing, but here are my thoughts. Gerbera Amarela do Sul is a poem that even i cant quite understand the full message. It has a lot of different meanings. Its a satire to the society, and how you don’t need to be competent at anything in particular to get a top spot in a career. And how everyone has an opinion on everything like they are experts. And then he gets one of those spots and he is happy about it. Something like that… It’s a very avant garde artistic performance. After Telemoveis last year, I guess… Read more »

Stig
Stig
Reply to  Miguel

Obrigado! I appreciate it. Even though I didn’t understand much of what Felipe was saying, I also got that impression of him. Loved the combination og flamboyance, humility and thoughfulness he seemed to exhibit.

Ffs
Ffs

No final for Portugal

Yana
Yana

My favorite together with Swiss and Ukraine. Best of luck Portugal *

Jake Dallas
Jake Dallas

Semi Final 2 is turning into a strange one. The first half is jam packed with upbeat bangers while the second half is jam packed with ballads.

Livs
Livs

Sad jimmy p or Barbara didn’t win, at least they were different. This performance is nowhere near the studio version, please hire some professionals to help you both vocal coach and staging! But at least a vocal coach, she has a very nice tone but she needs to practice a lot to have a decent performance in Rotterdam, the semi final outfit was way better, the hairsryle too and the staging I don’t understand all the blue, I think it would go better with dark and yellow or silver maybe! And let’s not even start with the camera work, we… Read more »

eerr
eerr

off topic but I guess we wont see Aly Ryan at Rotterdam this year

Andrei
Andrei

Another boring and outdated song from Portugal. If they won with a lame song they think they’ll made it again? This country refuses to send something up-tempo or modern. They’ll be stuck in the semifinal for centuries….

pooky1001
pooky1001
Reply to  Andrei

Im almost certain you could not call Conan boring and outdated. Portugal tried something very different last year and look how that ended up for them. Ok so this year a ballad won but if you look at the other songs in the national final atleast they were trying to bring something different. I applaud Portugal for standing on their own and not trying to just “fit” in even if it doesnt bring them to the final.

Maldric
Maldric
Reply to  Andrei

“lame song”? “amar pelos dois”? Ok…
758points 😀

bastian
bastian

Average for me. I wanted Barbara to win.

Tibor
Tibor

This is a very beautiful song and in my opinion one of the best ballads we have this year. Her vocal was a bit shaky, but I’m confident she can fix this. Usually, it’s not a good sign if I love the Portuguese entry, I loved Conan and Claudia and Leonor, Salvador I liked just fine, so I hope my personal taste won’t become some infallible gauge for Portugal not doing well in the contest. If it is, then the good news for Portugal is: She wasn’t my favourite to win yesterday. 😉

Pierre
Pierre

This will not qualify.

i don’t like it for Eurovision. It’s too soft, too predictable. I am tired of the “voice” criterion. Yes, they should all sing very well. So what sets them apart?

Elsa
Elsa
Reply to  Whisker

Very good point! I second that. To have a “good voice”, in the sense of being powefurl and/or with a wide range or even with an interesting timbre is NOT enough. I think this assumption has been spread during the last decades with those “talent” shows. In order to be a singer you need to an interpreter! And that takes time to learn OR a great innate talent.
Plus, of course, the song in terms of composition is nothing special too, but that “generic” characteristic permeates all Eurovision. Look at the current Eurovision winner… big yawn :O

Ex Dark Lord
Ex Dark Lord

Off topic but I guess we won’t be seeing Aly Ryan in Rotterdam

Paul
Paul

Fast food music really is dead… and with it any form of joy

Reply to  Paul

LOL, I agree with you 100%.

noone
noone

Definitely a NQ. But to be honest Passe partout or Gerbera amarela or any of the other songs would struggle in ESC as well, so …

Alo
Alo
Reply to  noone

Agree..
Songs were not competitive enough unfortunately this year.

HHAHA
HHAHA

Why Portugal always sending ballads, Im tired of it . Well it’s good to see something ethnic , in portuguese but they should break the borders .

Reply to  HHAHA

Suzy 🙁 lost qualification to the GF by 1 point?

helianthus
helianthus
Reply to  HHAHA

I want a lovely happy song like the portuguese entries in 2009, 1998 and 1996.
I’d love to see the Cavaquinho instrument back to Eurovision

James
James
Reply to  HHAHA

Telemoveis, Ha Um Mar Que Nos Separa, Quero Ser Tu, Amar, Coisas de Nada, et al.

How is Portugal “always sending ballads”?

Jeydelrey
Jeydelrey

Super happy with this one, it was my favorite from the beginning. Not sure she will qualify, but who knows. We might be up for some surprises in May.

Hello hi
Hello hi

At this stage now I hope Malta bring it and achieve their destiny !!! Otherwise I think we could have a Swiss win if the live is incredible .. I don’t see Lithuania or Iceland winning this year

noone
noone
Reply to  Hello hi

I’m afraid that Malta is either going to be the same kind of thing like Mamas or a big bland ballad. Russia will probably be a joke/troll entry and Macedonia another ballad. The only hope is Azerbaijan.

La la love
La la love

I actually like this

Fun or ban?
Fun or ban?

Meh

xohxoh
xohxoh

Zzzz

uwu vision
uwu vision

I like, I think it’s pretty cute but it really doesn’t stand put. Filipe Sambado would have been my choice.

Dmytro
Dmytro

Yesss another average song. We’re so going to win this year. LITTLE BIIIG!!!

Gerbera Amarela do Sul topped the jury vote! OMG!! My favourite song topped the jury vote! And the Portuguese people had it second last. With all the classic quality of Medo do Sentir I think Portugal may stay in the semi.
Portugal what did you do!

keith mawson
keith mawson

Probably the best of the bunch. Its nice . Shame Blasted screwed up so badly . What a shame.

Gurl
Gurl

I love love love this song. It’s beautiful, delicate and full of emotions. And it sounds genuinely Portuguese; not like something out of a Billie Ellish or Ed Sheeran album. In my top 5

Jake
Jake

Elisa, Marta and Elisa’s record company need to invest in staging if they want to stand out in Rotterdam. The idea of putting her in the middle of the stage with the LED they had in Elvas is too basic and gives the song little to be remembered by. It’s a lovely song but they need to have a special something that will make press and viewers take notice on the Eurovision stage.

Kazakhstan is Europe
Kazakhstan is Europe

BOO! Passe Partout should’ve gone! Such a different song from the rest of this year. Barbara’s song was so beautiful!

Bella
Bella

Portugal had a chance to make an impact with Passe Partout. Most probably not a winner but it had so much charm and character… This is blander than bland and a non-qualifier, and also Passe Partout is already on repeat on my iPod.

Anita Mann
Anita Mann

Says it all when even Poland’s ‘ballad’ is better than this…
Goodness, come to think of it, Slovenia’s entry is less bland!

keith mawson
keith mawson
Reply to  Anita Mann

Many many better ballads than this already.

brad
brad

I am feeeling a bit low at the moment , and would have welcomed an emotional ballad, but the song left me cold. ..very nicely sung, but nothing more.