In recent months fear and anxiety have gripped the world as the coronavirus continues to spread. Recently the Dutch government instituted a ban on public gatherings of over 100 people, rightfully taking action to help slow the spread of the novel strand of the virus.
Naturally this has raised a lot of questions about the Eurovision Song Contest 2020. As we’ve seen all around the world, major events — from the Formula One Grand Prix in Australia to the NBA season in the United States to the Premier League in Europe — have been postponed, suspended or cancelled altogether. Fans are wondering aloud if Eurovision will be next.
In recent days our social media inboxes have been inundated with questions about what is going on. In the name of open dialogue, we’ve filmed a video — posted at the top of this page — gathering together the latest news that’s publicly available and try to make sense of how Eurovision organisers are responding to the situation. Obviously this is a very fluid situation and details change by the hour.Please note this video was filmed on March 14 at 21:00 GMT.
This is a long video. If you want to skip to a specific topic you can use the timestamps below and in the YouTube video description.
For detailed information about the coronavirus/COVID-19 and how to stay healthy, please visit The World Health Organisation web site.
Eurovision 2020 and coronavirus talking points
- 2:08 What is coronavirus/Covid-19?
- 3:36 How many cases of coronavirus have been confirmed in The Netherlands?
- 4:08 What major sports events have been cancelled already?
- 5:00 What measures has the Netherlands taken to protect public health?
- 5:32 Will the Dutch restrictions impact Eurovision?
- 6:40 What has the Rotterdam mayor said?
- 7:43 Has the EBU released a coronavirus statement?
- 8:40 Israel and Lithuania withdrew from postcard filming in The Netherlands
- 9:40 Countries withdrew from the Heads of Delegation meeting in Rotterdam
- 10:00 The EBU has had employees test positive
- 10:50 PrePartyES 2020 and Israel Calling cancelled
- 12:02 London Eurovision Party asks for patience
- 12:49 Eurovision with no audience is an option
- 14:46 What about the red carpet, Euroclub, Eurovision Village, the press centre, etc.?
- 15:30 Should delegations be smaller?
- 16:05 Could artists sing in studios in their home countries during the show?
- 19:25 NPO wants Eurovision 2020 to take place
- 20:00 Can Eurovision 2020 be postponed or rescheduled for later?
- 22:44 Let’s please be kind to each other and not point too many fingers
- 24:33 Our Wiwibloggs events aren’t cancelled yet, but we have to be realistic
- 25:45 Sending y’all love
- 26:40 If news about coronavirus stresses you out, please step away from the TV